Skip navigation

Gethardgetraw's 2009-2010 Cold Calling Journal

or Register to post new content in the forum

411 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Dec 8, 2009 4:43 pm

So it is hard to take you or your post seriously if you post different information everytime… Disclosing you are at a wire, doesn’t really narrow it down for us, because there are like 50,000+ at wires…

So truth wire or indy?   My guess is indy based on questions regarding if you use your "b/ds name"
Dec 8, 2009 4:47 pm

haha you guys are good at snooping my old posts, i should figure out how to do that for those who i like following.  you should also notice that i post mainly on topics regarding cold calling, thats my favorite.  Truth?  Indy.  Started out at an indy interning, did a good job, they are giving me the opportunity to open my own book. 

Dec 8, 2009 4:50 pm

Damn i was betting on wire…

So do you really call corporate companies or by that did you mean residential?
Dec 8, 2009 4:59 pm

sure do. 

Dec 8, 2009 5:01 pm

There you go… now care to expand…

I too call corporate directories(i buy them, easier, less time consuming) but i call for investment ideas, portfolio reviews... never for a seminar..   What sort of response do you get?
Dec 8, 2009 5:10 pm

oh ok, interesting, results i’ve had have been pretty good.

Dec 8, 2009 6:32 pm

Just had someone ask me what the dollar was worth. Some old guy. I asked him which currency he was comparing it to. Then he got upset asked again what it was worth and I told him you have to pair it with another currency and I didn’t understand what he was asking. He said yesterday it was 88 cents and hung up. <3 cold calling

Dec 8, 2009 10:59 pm

47 calls

11 contacts
3 prospects created
0 sales
Dec 8, 2009 11:31 pm

This is what happens to most people, not able to make a consistent number of calls over 175 each day for long stretches of time…

Dec 8, 2009 11:46 pm

It’s also why my suggested schedule of making 2 hours of calls a day is better for him than his schedule of 10 hours of phoning.

Dec 9, 2009 12:16 am

Like Nick Murray says most people get all fired up and make 400 dials monday, 150 tuesday, 50 wednesday and by thursday they are out sick with a mysterious stomach ailment. You have to create a baseline for yourself of what YOU can handle and build slowly from there. If that number is only 25 then fine, start from there and build up. I am no good at being consistent either. It is hard to do.

Dec 9, 2009 12:31 am
anonymous:

It’s also why my suggested schedule of making 2 hours of calls a day is better for him than his schedule of 10 hours of phoning.

Good point, but i don't think he is doing 10 hours per day
Dec 9, 2009 1:16 am
gethardgetraw:

Just had someone ask me what the dollar was worth. Some old guy. I asked him which currency he was comparing it to. Then he got upset asked again what it was worth and I told him you have to pair it with another currency and I didn’t understand what he was asking. He said yesterday it was 88 cents and hung up. <3 cold calling

It's worth a candy bar. It used to be worth a gallon of gas. What is that dollar going to be worth if you leave it in the bank earning less than 2%?
Dec 9, 2009 1:22 am

[quote=Squash1]

I don’t think that is a bad pitch, actually I have used something similar when i was looking to open accounts…

What do you use?

Where are you calling from?(wirehouse, bank, ria?)[/quote]

Regional that just formed.

Bond, stock, review, it does not matter. I’m just trying to start a conversation and ask questions. Sometimes I find the end of the rainbow other things a dead end. Just dial.

My day looks like this:

20 dials

break 10mins

20 dials

break 10mins

20 dials

break 10mins

20 dials

break 10mins

80 calls = lunch

After noon - appointments or dial or walk

I get an appointment or hung up on - 5 push ups.

You don’t need some fancy ass schedule. Just bang some dials, break, bang some dials, break, bang some dials, break.

Dec 9, 2009 1:39 am

What is a regional that just formed?? What is a regional besides STIFEL or RBC?

Dec 9, 2009 2:36 am

That isn’t a regional… It’s barely a firm…

Dec 9, 2009 2:53 am

Windy and Volt formed Ben Dover Securities. Maybe that is where he is.

Dec 9, 2009 3:17 pm

Ok who is dialing today… Starting in 30 minutes, going for 2 hours… lunch and then back again… anyone calling?

Dec 9, 2009 5:20 pm

I got you chief after lunch. Let's see who can get the most calls from 1pm CST to 6pm CST.

Dec 9, 2009 5:25 pm

btw, The Pursuit of Happyness is a terrible novel. After halfway in, Gardner is still in the character development stage (so boring and written on a 5th grade level), and it’s been riddled with “arrrgh we did _____ which is absolutely illegal but it wasn’t our fault the white man is supressing us again. arrrrgh just stole more stuff which was illegal. arrrrgh illegally took welfare support even after having a full time job wasnt my fault and the white police man locked my mother up. arrrgh just murdered someone hope I don’t get caught by the white man” etc…

poorly written irrationally biased novel, stick to the movie