Skip navigation

Gethardgetraw's 2009-2010 Cold Calling Journal

or Register to post new content in the forum

411 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Dec 9, 2009 5:28 pm

[quote=gethardgetraw]btw, The Pursuit of Happyness is a terrible novel. After halfway in, Gardner is still in the character development stage (so boring and written on a 5th grade level), and it’s been riddled with “arrrgh we did _____ which is absolutely illegal but it wasn’t our fault the white man is supressing us again. arrrrgh just stole more stuff which was illegal. arrrrgh illegally took welfare support even after having a full time job wasnt my fault and the white police man locked my mother up. arrrgh just murdered someone hope I don’t get caught by the white man” etc…

poorly written irrationally biased novel, stick to the movie[/quote]

Maybe I should qualify my recommendation...I only read the chapters related to getting his advisor business going. You're right, there's alot of crap in there too.
Dec 9, 2009 5:32 pm

Yeah haven’t gotten to that yet. And I’m halfway in…

Think I'll re-read Liar's Poker after this. Exponentially better finance-related book.   Cramer's Confessions of a Street Addict is really good too.

I have all those Ben Grahm books and books like A Random Walk Down Wallstreet but jesus they're so dull. I guess I'm more drawn to books written first-hand by those who have worked in a bank or a fund rather than books on fundamental value investing.   Getting "Inside the Black Box" for xmas. It's a book on statistical arbitrage and other quant based automatic trading methods. Can't wait
Dec 9, 2009 7:39 pm

[quote=gethardgetraw]

I got you chief after lunch. Let's see who can get the most calls from 1pm CST to 6pm CST.

[/quote]   Scheduled an appt for 2:00pm, so won't start calling again til after 4:30pm(appts don't last that long, but I find better contacts after 4pm)
Dec 9, 2009 7:55 pm
Ron 14:

Windy and Volt formed Ben Dover Securities. Maybe that is where he is.

That's Ben D. Dover to you.
Dec 9, 2009 11:18 pm

I would agree. I found the chapters where he specifically discussed the brokerage business and his efforts to be very helpful. The other information I just couldn’t read.

Dec 10, 2009 12:48 am

48 calls

10 contacts
6 prospects created
0 sales
Dec 10, 2009 5:25 am

175 dials

34 contacts 2 appts 1 new account(follow up with previous cold call) 18 prospects back in the hopper to be called again in 10-30 days
Dec 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Good work chief, going to push to post some similar numbers today

Dec 10, 2009 8:57 pm

I am on my way to getting my first $5K month… have 1800 so far done. with 20 days left.

So i am going to get on this cold call posting too..   so far today 63 dials, 18 contacts, 9 prospects and 1 appt for saturday.
Dec 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Only 3200 left?  Easy… that is 50-60K in VA,EIA,Private REIT…

Dec 10, 2009 10:33 pm

Yeah that is what I am calling for…

I think I should be able to find 50-75K by end of month..
Dec 10, 2009 10:57 pm

You boys need to bump your calls up.  No reason you can bust 40 calls an hour and still have time to screw around.  Do two sessions in the morning and one before you head home.

Dec 11, 2009 1:06 am

74 calls

14 contacts
4 prospects created
0 sales
Dec 11, 2009 1:09 am

I will call 200 people tomorrow.

Dec 11, 2009 1:13 am

[quote=gethardgetraw]74 calls

14 contacts
4 prospects created
0 sales[/quote]     That is an hour and a half of work.  Double that should be a slow day prospecting.  You should talk to 200 contacts a week minimum.  A contact is when the person you ask for gets on the phone, you give your pitch, and get a response.
Dec 11, 2009 1:18 am

Dont rip his activities unless you are going to post yours day in and day out.

Dec 11, 2009 1:32 am

[quote=Ron 14]

Dont rip his activities unless you are going to post yours day in and day out.

[/quote]     I didn't rip anything.  I used my personal experience to determine how much time what he posted took.  60 non contacts @ 45secs each.  10 non-prospect contacts @ 2 minutes ea.  4 prospect contacts @ 6 minutes each.  This is based on my cold calling statistics.  As far as what I did today, 5 appts, approx (I didn't count) 30 client phone contacts.  Notice, I made 35 contacts today, a little short of what is needed.   BTW, the reason I pointed out how much time he spent prospecting is because I would bet you money he feels he spent a lot more time prospecting.  74d, 14c, 4p days will not lead to success unless he gets lucky.  I did post what I feel needs to be done to be successful.
Dec 11, 2009 1:38 am

161 dials

42 contacts 2 appts 29 prospects back in the hopper to be called again in 10-30   I try for 2 appts set each day..
Dec 11, 2009 1:40 am
WarRoom:

You boys need to bump your calls up.  No reason you can bust 40 calls an hour and still have time to screw around.  Do two sessions in the morning and one before you head home.

Who are you talking too?? over 150+ calls last 2 days with 4 appts...   By the way 2 sessions in the morning and 1 at night is only 120 calls..superman..   What did you do today at your "REGIONAL FIRM" with 4 branch offices??
Dec 11, 2009 1:40 am

So you are telling me you talk to 30 clients a day, 20 working days a month that is 600 client contacts a month. How many clients do you have ? And if you aren’t keeping track you are doing half of what you think. That is based on my cold calling statistics.