Skip navigation

Gethardgetraw's 2009-2010 Cold Calling Journal

or Register to post new content in the forum

411 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm
#9. Whats toilet paper? $5 every month?  BOAs use a LOT of toilet paper. 

MY BOA USES VERY LITTLE TOILET PAPER....FORTUNATELY HE DOESN'T SPRAY ALOT WHEN HE PEES....YOU SEXIST PIG YOU!!! 

Dec 18, 2009 8:51 pm

I concur, we do not pay for any paper, toner, ink, etc. out of net.  It all comes off P&L.

I got my conference room paid for some by Jones, some by the contractor.  They had extra paint and carpet, so they just put it in for me.  I got Jones to kick in for the little extra labor they charged me.  But if you don't know how to negotiate with Jones and/or contractors, then you will likely pay for it yourself.  Another reason Jones likes inexperienced people....     And WHY are we having this conversation again?  When did Windy come back?
Dec 18, 2009 11:26 pm

212 calls
43 contacts
17 prospects created

0 sales   Found some good money coming due
Dec 18, 2009 11:34 pm

GHGR-

Three in a row-Buy yourself a pitcher of beer.

Good job. You are on your way.

What changed over the last 3 days that made your activity more consistent and do you feel you can stay at that level?

Dec 18, 2009 11:36 pm

[quote=gethardgetraw]212 calls
43 contacts
17 prospects created

0 sales   Found some good money coming due[/quote]     Great job, now come in tomorrow and get 20 more contacts to make up for earlier in the week, then hit it again on Monday.
Dec 18, 2009 11:44 pm

GHGR— great job with the calls.  Are you setting any appointments?  It seems you’re adding a good amount of prospects each day, I’d think atleast one of them would bite for a face to face meeting. 

Keep up the good work.
Dec 19, 2009 5:18 pm

[quote=Hey Kool-Aid]

#9. Whats toilet paper? $5 every month? BOAs use a LOT of toilet paper.

MY BOA USES VERY LITTLE TOILET PAPER…FORTUNATELY HE DOESN’T SPRAY ALOT WHEN HE PEES…YOU SEXIST PIG YOU!!!

[/quote]

Dec 20, 2009 8:33 pm

[quote=on my own]

GHGR-

What changed over the last 3 days that made your activity more consistent and do you feel you can stay at that level?

[/quote]   What changed? Hmm... Well I'm tired of going to Seg New/1 meetings where they treat us like children (practically take roll, have little sandwiches for us to eat, monitor our work habits), and the only way I can get out of these is to move to Seg. 2. That's a big goal of mine. Also re-watched Boiler Room and Wall Street   I realized that in both of those movies, if you do well, you're rewarded by moving out of the trading floor and into your office. The corner office Bud Fox gets is very similar to mine, even with the same type of tree in the corner of the room. That really hit home. I felt I had missed the opportunity to work in an office with a bunch of other brokers, all shouting at each other, cold calling. The comradery would be awesome, but then I realized how hard it would be to sell over the phone with 40 other people doing the same thing. And in both  movies, if they sat at their office and twiddled their thumbs like I'm guilty of sometimes, they'd probably be fired extremely quickly.   [quote=Baldy McGrindy]GHGR--- great job with the calls.  Are you setting any appointments?  It seems you're adding a good amount of prospects each day, I'd think atleast one of them would bite for a face to face meeting.    Keep up the good work. [/quote]   Not going for any appointments. I plan on door knocking the good prospects to drop by and put a face to the name as well as drop off a sample portfolio of my picks.    
Dec 20, 2009 8:34 pm

Using this Sunday to set up this week's calls.

I think I like working on weekends
Dec 20, 2009 9:49 pm

[quote=gethardgetraw][quote=on my own]

GHGR-

[/quote]   What changed? Hmm... Well I'm tired of going to Seg New/1 meetings where they treat us like children (practically take roll, have little sandwiches for us to eat, monitor our work habits), and the only way I can get out of these is to move to Seg. 2. That's a big goal of mine. Also re-watched Boiler Room and Wall Street   I realized that in both of those movies, if you do well, you're rewarded by moving out of the trading floor and into your office. The corner office Bud Fox gets is very similar to mine, even with the same type of tree in the corner of the room. That really hit home. I felt I had missed the opportunity to work in an office with a bunch of other brokers, all shouting at each other, cold calling. The comradery would be awesome, but then I realized how hard it would be to sell over the phone with 40 other people doing the same thing. And in both  movies, if they sat at their office and twiddled their thumbs like I'm guilty of sometimes, they'd probably be fired extremely quickly.   [quote=Baldy McGrindy]GHGR--- great job with the calls.  Are you setting any appointments?  It seems you're adding a good amount of prospects each day, I'd think atleast one of them would bite for a face to face meeting.    Keep up the good work. [/quote]   Not going for any appointments. I plan on door knocking the good prospects to drop by and put a face to the name as well as drop off a sample portfolio of my picks.    [/quote]   I think the work you're doing is great and it will pay off but don't you think you're missing some opportunities though by not pushing some of the more interested prospects into settng appointments?  I just don't see why you wouldn't ask for an appointment when you're having a good conversation.  If they say no, then keep them as a prospect to drip on.    Also, I think dropping off a sample portfolio is a bad idea..  Why give info like that away for nothing?  One, you don't have any idea of what their goals/objectives/risk tolerances are and why give them something they can then do without you.  I think stopping by face to face is fine for contact two but why not just drop off a business card, some general EDJ info, or an Investment Perspective?     Just my two cents but congrats on keeping with it. 
Dec 21, 2009 10:50 pm

110 calls

24 contacts 8 prospects 0 sales
Dec 22, 2009 10:26 pm

212 calls

47 contacts
12 prospects 0 sales   Was a good day nonetheless
Dec 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Ok, now have you set any appts, got an order or something similar? Or are you just blowing through people to get to your 40/day?

Dec 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Was not shooting for any appointments, however that is going to change.

I've received many PM's telling me I NEED TO SET APPOINTMENTS, whether it's to go over a proposed portfolio or conduct a portfolio review. I originally dismissed the value of these appts, but from the sheer volume of people telling me I need to do this, I'll give it a shot.

Come to think of it, the success I've received from cold prospecting is after a face-to-face appointment.
Dec 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Yeah, dude, you gotta start getting in front of these people.  They get too stale, their basically cold leads again.

Dec 23, 2009 6:46 pm

How long is it taking you to make 220 calls?  What is the value per dial, roughly 300?

Dec 29, 2009 3:52 am

[quote=gethardgetraw]Was not shooting for any appointments, however that is going to change.

I've received many PM's telling me I NEED TO SET APPOINTMENTS, whether it's to go over a proposed portfolio or conduct a portfolio review. I originally dismissed the value of these appts, but from the sheer volume of people telling me I need to do this, I'll give it a shot.

Come to think of it, the success I've received from cold prospecting is after a face-to-face appointment.[/quote] Go for the throat and ask for the appointment 3 times before hanging up. Always get permission to move the ball forward and the appointment is the holy grail.  If it's not set, you are going to be on a treadmill of (as B24 said) warming up cold leads....or mailing and e-mailing newsletters and research out.  
Dec 30, 2009 2:23 am

GHGR

I read thru the thread- good work! But I may have missed it if you posted- have you been able to open any accounts from the December calling campaign?

Was your intention to push a month for prospects, then transition to working them into the meetings/client status?

Is it taking you a while to get a residential list clear of the DNC list?

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2010 11:20 pm
breakline:

GHGR

I read thru the thread- good work! But I may have missed it if you posted- have you been able to open any accounts from the December calling campaign?

Was your intention to push a month for prospects, then transition to working them into the meetings/client status?

Is it taking you a while to get a residential list clear of the DNC list?

Thanks!

Breakline.... In case no one else has said this, it can take 30-90 days minimum to get a pipeline that is closing....December is a brutal month to do a one call/close deal in. But it's a a great month to set up appointments for 1  month out in advance of NY resolutions. Don't look for it as a process where you make the call and close the deal. It's a pipeline creation tool. The more you do it, the better you do it, the more consistent the results from the pipeline. I'm making calls now that will close in a year, and closing deals now on calls I made anywhere from 3 years to 3 weeks ago.   
Jan 6, 2010 2:57 pm

Where’s gethardgetraw? I figured we would have some more postings by now.