155 AND COUNTING

136 replies [Last post]
spikedkoolaid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-20

Growth, Growth, Growth!  You train em, we'll recruit em!
JANUARY 2005 thru JUNE 2006
155 Veteran IR's have left the mothership (Jones) in favor of mixing their own koolaid at LPL.
I don't know what the numbers are at RAYJAY, Wachovia or some of the others, but it looks like Jones is losing about 500-600 veteran IR's a year to the competitors. 
 

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

Spiked-
I don't know where you get your numbers but they sound pretty close. When I started we had 6500 IR's and the goal was 10K by 2000. They hit that four or five years ago, celebrated with Bachie and Dougie in England where supposedly they opened the 10,000th office and as far as I can determine five years later 9600 IR's.
So if they are training 200 per month and they have less now than five years ago. Attrition is happening on a much higher percentage than they are letting on. All I ever heard was 3-4% of vets were leaving. Well, its calculator time again, 3% of 9600 IR's would be is 288. A reason for stagnant profits (and more profitable) for the GP's because who made the bonuses, The VETS!
If I am a GP, the exodus of vets insures more $$$ to be spread amongst the owners. It's a great gig for some.

lawsucks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-18

footsoldier wrote:A reason for stagnant profits (and more profitable) for the GP's because who made the bonuses, The VETS!
If I am a GP, the exodus of vets insures more $$$ to be spread amongst the owners. It's a great gig for some.
I admit ignorance on the inner workings of the cult, but this statement doesn't make sense.  Are you suggesting that the bonuses for the vets are so big that they actually negate that vets profitability?

Ilovedogs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-11-12

Unless EJ hit their 10,000 IR in 2006, they have not hit that goal yet.  I left in November 2005 and they weren't even close.
 
QUOTE=footsoldier]
Spiked-
I don't know where you get your numbers but they sound pretty close. When I started we had 6500 IR's and the goal was 10K by 2000. They hit that four or five years ago, celebrated with Bachie and Dougie in England where supposedly they opened the 10,000th office and as far as I can determine five years later 9600 IR's.
So if they are training 200 per month and they have less now than five years ago. Attrition is happening on a much higher percentage than they are letting on. All I ever heard was 3-4% of vets were leaving. Well, its calculator time again, 3% of 9600 IR's would be is 288. A reason for stagnant profits (and more profitable) for the GP's because who made the bonuses, The VETS!
If I am a GP, the exodus of vets insures more $$$ to be spread amongst the owners. It's a great gig for some.

BrokerRecruit's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-19

spiked - where did you see those numbers?  I'd love to read the article or wherever it came from.  PM me with a link if you have one and wouldn't mind.

Incredble Hulk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-26

EDjones always hits their goals.  EDJONES rules!
 

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

Lawsucks (great name by the way)-
Here is how it works. The firm states a percentage of bonus participation. 40% is the current number. And that is only on profit after 26K. The grid has 5 tiers. The best way to describe this system is to illustrate because it was conceived by the owners for the owners (or at least that's my take). Below is an example of 100K trimester profit, I am estimating a 750K producer.
Profit
6500x8%=520
6500x16%=1040
6500x24%=1560
6500x32%=2080
74000x40%=29,600
Total Trimester Bonus to IR= 34,800 (34.8%)
Total Trimester Profit to GP= 100,000-34,800=65,200 (65.2%)
Remember that the expenses the GP's control (1300 month for the god awful satellite) and I am told expenses are not decreasing when the T1's are installed. But Lawsucks my point to this was the GP's are better off having 4 IR's at 200K gross than 1 at 800K. The profit is not distributed down to the troops. It remains with the owners. So if the attrition numbers are higher but the revenues remain constant, who wins in this equation? It clearly ain't us.
I can't wait for the Jonesheads without calculators to respond. This is kumbaya week (regionals) so the fluids are flowing and their brains are turning to mush. And to think I was one of them.

spikedkoolaid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-20

I would be curious to see how many are defecting to the other firms.  Anybody have some stats!

exEJIR's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-12

Incredble Hulk wrote:
EDjones always hits their goals.  EDJONES rules!
 

Incredble (no i),
You kill me man!!!  

BrokerRecruit's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-19

The needle of total IRs hasn't moved much in the last few years, and it probably won't.  At this point, the relative numbers recruited vs. left at most firms is relatively flat.  LPL was down in net reps last year, but revenue increased.  It seems that EDJ is losing the big boys and bringing in tons of newbies to try to make up for it.

unsunghero's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-12

Incredble Hulk wrote:
EDjones always hits their goals.  EDJONES rules!
 

as long as the goal is to bend you over and make you sqeal like a pig.

rankstocks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-10

How do you define veteran?

zacko's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-01

Don't worry rank--your not one.

Indyone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-30

zacko wrote:Don't worry rank--your not one.

BrokerRecruit's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-19

The thing that other firms have capitalized on is recruiting the 1st/2nd quintile producer away from Jones, LOS 5 and under.  While this isn't a big hit to Jones, it is a win for the other BDs - less costly hire, plus someone who can prove they can get the job done.  With a better product offering than Jones, these firms feel that they can capitalize on these reps.

munytalks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-17

rankstocks wrote:How do you define veteran?
 
 They look like this- remember- the guys in your region who are always laughing at your stupid comments.

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

BrokerRecruit wrote:The thing that other firms have capitalized
on is recruiting the 1st/2nd quintile producer away from Jones, LOS 5
and under.  While this isn't a big hit to Jones, it is a win for
the other BDs - less costly hire, plus someone who can prove they can
get the job done.  With a better product offering than Jones,
these firms feel that they can capitalize on these reps.

That would be me

BrokerRecruit's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-19

It seems that the ones who have been there for 10+ years have deemed it is a very good fit for them and they are, generally, quite succesful.  It's not a horrible firm, just not right for some producers.  The 3-5 year IR is right in the wheelhouse for indy and wires and should continue to be the case for some time.

Incredible Hulk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-24

BrokerRecruit wrote: It seems that the ones who have been there for 10+ years have deemed it is a very good fit for them and they are, generally, quite succesful.  It's not a horrible firm, just not right for some producers.  The 3-5 year IR is right in the wheelhouse for indy and wires and should continue to be the case for some time.

I have a feeling the window is closing on the 3-5 year brokers exodus. Assuming they stop jacking around with the LP.

BrokerRecruit's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-19

Out of curiosity, Incredible, what are your thoughts on why this exodus will stop?  Offering more LP?

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

BR-
When you consider the amount of time spent building and then maintaining the business, LP in that light (there is a quantifiable dollar per hour number for everyone)and the fact our sweat equity isn't enough to pay for it, could be one of the worst return on investments ever. Oh yeah I almost forgot. The GP's earn interest on the money they loan out for anything including LP.
To summarize for those who can't comprehend.
It's the mountaintop for the GP's. I keep repeating myself, the GP structure is a brilliant business model. It sucks for anyone with half a brain.

csmelnix's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-01

Footsoldier -
If you clones would just listen to him with open ears and eyes you might just begin to understand why the Jones model is not what "they" make it out to be. 
The LP hook is like the 'ol story about the frog that allows himself to be boiled.  You start out in cold water and slowly turn up the heat and before you realize it, it's too late - the waters boiling and the frog is in to deep. 
FS - you keep it up you just might incur the wrath of Doug Hill.
 
 

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

cs-
Who is them. And why would you assume that some can figure out the game, and then plan accordingly.
Were on the same side of the fence.

csmelnix's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-01

FS,
You lost me, admittedly that's pretty easy these days, but I love what your doing on this site.

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

CS-
Someone has to spell out the doublespeak. Sooner or later the smart IR's will leave when the stench becomes too much.
Like it or not, EDJ is not going anywhere. They have their little fifedom, and their love fests. I and others before and after me will see the light and move on.
I just wish I had come to terms with this sooner.

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

footsoldier wrote:I just wish I had come to terms with this sooner.

THERE IT IS AGAIN!!  I love hearing that, since I am getting out
before I reach seg 4 and many assets.  I agree that you are very
healpful FS.

Incredible Hulk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-24

footsoldier wrote: But Lawsucks my point to this was the GP's are better off having 4 IR's at 200K gross than 1 at 800K. The profit is not distributed down to the troops.

I think you are very bad at math or you just didn't think this through. 4 IR's = 4 times the expense. 4X BOA's, 4X rent, 4X utilities, 4X systems, 4X etc. If all 4 brokers were in the same office then your logic would make sense. You remind me of the Michael Moore's of the world. You let your emotions take control and they blind you to the facts. I think several have asked, when you are going to leave and stop feeding the GPs? The sooner the better...

Incredible Hulk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-24

footsoldier wrote: BR-
It sucks for anyone with half a brain.

Let me see if I'm following you.   You think EDJ sucks. And "it sucks for anyone with half a brain." Does that mean you only have half a brain???

Childish? Yes I know.

Starka's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-30

Incredible Hulk wrote: footsoldier wrote: But Lawsucks my point to this was the GP's are better off having 4 IR's at 200K gross than 1 at 800K. The profit is not distributed down to the troops.

I think you are very bad at math or you just didn't think this through. 4 IR's = 4 times the expense. 4X BOA's, 4X rent, 4X utilities, 4X systems, 4X etc. If all 4 brokers were in the same office then your logic would make sense. You remind me of the Michael Moore's of the world. You let your emotions take control and they blind you to the facts. I think several have asked, when you are going to leave and stop feeding the GPs? The sooner the better...
Hulk, take a look at your P&L grid.  The lion's share of the expenses are borne by brokers grossing between $12-$20K.  So yes, there is profit in having large numbers of Segment 3 brokers. 

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

IH-
I always enjoy intelligent conversation. I guess it will be hard to find any here. But I will continue to try.
I should have written half a brain IF I STAY.
I gave a significant number of years to this firm, I believed in this firm, and I have been bitterly disappointed in this firm. My epiphany started after the revenue sharing scandal hit. I started asking questions. I started reading and made my decision to leave. I haven't yet and I certainly can't or won't disclose when, but my time is coming.
You stay and enjoy your career. I could not continue to build a profitable business and not share in it. Nor could I sell it. I have many friends and clients who are business owners. I often ask them if they could walk away from their businesses with nothing. And they look at me and wonder why I could ask such a stupid question.
You will notice I did not denegrate EDJ. I just can't agree to represent them when in acutality they don't give a damn about me and act the opposite. The hypocrisy is stifling.

Soothsayer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-24

Make that 156 and counting.  The broker in Jackson Hole, WY (just a slightly wealthy resort community) moved to LPL.  Uh oh......

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

footsoldier wrote: 
I gave a significant number of years to this firm, I believed in this firm, and I have been bitterly disappointed in this firm. My epiphany started after the revenue sharing scandal hit. I started asking questions. I started reading and made my decision to leave. I haven't yet and I certainly can't or won't disclose when, but my time is coming.
You stay and enjoy your career. I could not continue to build a profitable business and not share in it. Nor could I sell it. I have many friends and clients who are business owners. I often ask them if they could walk away from their businesses with nothing. And they look at me and wonder why I could ask such a stupid question.
You will notice I did not denegrate EDJ. I just can't agree to represent them when in acutality they don't give a damn about me and act the opposite. The hypocrisy is stifling.

Don't you independents pride yourself on not needing support, respect, or any of the other things that are showered on big producers at wirehouses?

peanutbroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-06

FootSoldier...your last post is so commonly felt by those of many wirehouses. You get a descent payout, but if you take into consideration the amount of risk you take, out of pocket expenses and the fact you can't sell your business, it is mediocre unless you put together huge production numbers and get extra bonuses and perks from the company.

You put out so much of your own money to build the business when you are a W2 employee. Postage, telephone, misc office expenses & furniture, travel and fuel expenses, and a variety of of other business related and marketing expenses.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

NASD Newbie wrote:footsoldier wrote: 
I gave a significant number of years to this firm, I believed in this firm, and I have been bitterly disappointed in this firm. My epiphany started after the revenue sharing scandal hit. I started asking questions. I started reading and made my decision to leave. I haven't yet and I certainly can't or won't disclose when, but my time is coming.
You stay and enjoy your career. I could not continue to build a profitable business and not share in it. Nor could I sell it. I have many friends and clients who are business owners. I often ask them if they could walk away from their businesses with nothing. And they look at me and wonder why I could ask such a stupid question.
You will notice I did not denegrate EDJ. I just can't agree to represent them when in acutality they don't give a damn about me and act the opposite. The hypocrisy is stifling.

Don't you independents pride yourself on not needing support, respect, or any of the other things that are showered on big producers at wirehouses?He's not indy yet.....

Ilovedogs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-11-12

Hulk, take a look at your P&L grid.  The lion's share of the expenses are borne by brokers grossing between $12-$20K.  So yes, there is profit in having large numbers of Segment 3 brokers. 

As a former IR who saw the light, that is exactly right!  Our RL even told us that at practically every region meeting.

Ilovedogs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-11-12

footsoldier wrote:
IH-
I always enjoy intelligent conversation. I guess it will be hard to find any here. But I will continue to try.
I should have written half a brain IF I STAY.
I gave a significant number of years to this firm, I believed in this firm, and I have been bitterly disappointed in this firm. My epiphany started after the revenue sharing scandal hit. I started asking questions. I started reading and made my decision to leave. I haven't yet and I certainly can't or won't disclose when, but my time is coming.
You stay and enjoy your career. I could not continue to build a profitable business and not share in it. Nor could I sell it. I have many friends and clients who are business owners. I often ask them if they could walk away from their businesses with nothing. And they look at me and wonder why I could ask such a stupid question.
You will notice I did not denegrate EDJ. I just can't agree to represent them when in acutality they don't give a damn about me and act the opposite. The hypocrisy is stifling.

Footsoldier, no one could have said it better for those of us who left EJ.  Thanks for telling it like it is and not lowering yourself to the name calling and cheap shots that others on this board seem to enjoy doing. 
 

CIBforeveryone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-12

footsoldier wrote:
IH-
I always enjoy intelligent conversation. I guess it will be hard to find any here. But I will continue to try.
I should have written half a brain IF I STAY.
I gave a significant number of years to this firm, I believed in this firm, and I have been bitterly disappointed in this firm. My epiphany started after the revenue sharing scandal hit. I started asking questions. I started reading and made my decision to leave. I haven't yet and I certainly can't or won't disclose when, but my time is coming.
You stay and enjoy your career. I could not continue to build a profitable business and not share in it. Nor could I sell it. I have many friends and clients who are business owners. I often ask them if they could walk away from their businesses with nothing. And they look at me and wonder why I could ask such a stupid question.
You will notice I did not denegrate EDJ. I just can't agree to represent them when in acutality they don't give a damn about me and act the opposite. The hypocrisy is stifling.

I'll agree with the others, this is a great post. It's why I bailed from the cult not too long ago and went Indy. Freedom!
 

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

For the younger people who are reading this stuff.
For reasons that I have not been able to determine--yet--this forum attracts an extraordinary number of people who want to whine about Edward Jones.
This industry is notorious for those who are not making it to whine--perhaps all industries are but I'm only familiar with this one.
If you're working in a Smith Barney office somewhere those who are struggling are going to blame somebody other than themselves--it's human nature to do that.
If you're working in a bank somewhere those who are struggling are going to blame somebody other than themselves--it's human nature to do that.
I suspect that the reason you see so much whining on these forums is because the whiners are fairly isolated in their small Jones offices.  Around Smith Barney or a bank there would be somebody to whine with--two guys who are eventually going to fail can whine to each other, reassure each other that whatever is happening (or more appropriately not happening) is not because of something that they are doing, or not doing.
So they don't need an outlet to vent their anxieties, to reaffirm that they're doing the right thing they go have a beer after work.
But if you work for Jones and are failing there is nobody to go have a beer with--so you log onto this forum where others who are failing will reassure you that Jones is to blame.
Jones is not to blame.  It's no more a "cult" than the Catholic church is a cult.  It is a highly regarded marketing organization.
Admittedly it has a bit of a multi level marketing twist to it--but you should see Primerica or WMA.
A few years ago I was an arbitrator in a case involving Jones and admit that I was concerned about what appeared to be a lack of supervision--or more clearly it seemed to me that what they presented as a supervisory structure would not be able to supervise.
But that is a compliance issue and has little to do with what the whining is about.
What amuses this aging veteran is how somebody whines about not getting support, but they're going to "go indy" where there is, by design, almost no support.
Somebody is whining about not having e-mail.  How basic is that?  A sixth grader can get his own e-mail address without any adult intervention.
The cold, harsh, unvarnished reality is that those who are whining about what a horrible place Jones is would be whining about what a horrible place Merrill Lynch is if they were there.
They're on their way out the door--not because their broker/dealer is failing, but because they are failing.
Everytime you read words like "Cult" and "Kool Aid" figure that it's somebody who is better suited for another career simply spewing bile because they're nervous about the future.
Wish them well in their next career.

unsunghero's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-12

Ahh now we get the true colors on Newbie.  I'll give you that those who are failing tend to migrate toward others that are failing.  But at Jones they have no more difficulty finding each other than at any other firm... ever heard of a telephone?
As for support and going indy.  I have not heard anyone complain about the support they got from Jones.  What I have heard and have said myself is that Jones has very limited platform and conflicted product offering. Both of these are greatly enhanced by going to one of the larger indy firms.
As for email.  Do you have a license to do business in this industry?  Are you suggesting that Jones IR's who want email sign up for a free Yahoo acct and correspond with clients that way?  And to think you were worried about supervision before?
Save your line about being in on an arbitration hearing. You sound more like a wannabe Jones home office clone or the janitor someone called you before.
As for calling Jones a cult.  Why dont you let those of us who were in it and left be the judge of that.  You are a dumbass.  Thanks for clearing it up finally.

noggin's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-30

unsunghero wrote:
Ahh now we get the true colors on Newbie.  I'll give you that those who are failing tend to migrate toward others that are failing.  But at Jones they have no more difficulty finding each other than at any other firm... ever heard of a telephone?
As for support and going indy.  I have not heard anyone complain about the support they got from Jones.  What I have heard and have said myself is that Jones has very limited platform and conflicted product offering. Both of these are greatly enhanced by going to one of the larger indy firms.
As for email.  Do you have a license to do business in this industry?  Are you suggesting that Jones IR's who want email sign up for a free Yahoo acct and correspond with clients that way?  And to think you were worried about supervision before?
Save your line about being in on an arbitration hearing. You sound more like a wannabe Jones home office clone or the janitor someone called you before.
As for calling Jones a cult.  Why dont you let those of us who were in it and left be the judge of that.  You are a dumbass.  Thanks for clearing it up finally.

Unsung- I work at jones and I have email and it is not through Yahoo.

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

noggin wrote:unsunghero wrote:
Ahh now we get the true colors on Newbie.  I'll give you that those who are failing tend to migrate toward others that are failing.  But at Jones they have no more difficulty finding each other than at any other firm... ever heard of a telephone?
As for support and going indy.  I have not heard anyone complain about the support they got from Jones.  What I have heard and have said myself is that Jones has very limited platform and conflicted product offering. Both of these are greatly enhanced by going to one of the larger indy firms.
As for email.  Do you have a license to do business in this industry?  Are you suggesting that Jones IR's who want email sign up for a free Yahoo acct and correspond with clients that way?  And to think you were worried about supervision before?
Save your line about being in on an arbitration hearing. You sound more like a wannabe Jones home office clone or the janitor someone called you before.
As for calling Jones a cult.  Why dont you let those of us who were in it and left be the judge of that.  You are a dumbass.  Thanks for clearing it up finally.

Unsung- I work at jones and I have email and it is not through Yahoo.

You and 14 others....

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

The email conundrum is a real problem in Wall Street.
There have been thousands of wasted man-hours spent trying to come to grips with the reality that it exists and that it is all but impossible to police what is being said in emails.
Most firms have arrived at a method of capturing every email sent to or from an RR in a branch office.  They are archieved and are available should compliance issues arise.  Every so often somebody will actually read through a reps correspondence--in other words what you send or get in office email is not confidential.
No doubt Jones is dealing with a logistical nightmare since their salesforce is so geographically diversified.  I am not enough of a techincal guy to know just how much hardware would be required, but I suspect there could be software that would transfer your email files to the compliance department.
Meanwhile a broker/dealer is perfectly within its rights to tell their representatives to not use email--and to send all of the clients a letter explaining that if they act on any advice delivered by email they surrender their right to file an arbitration claim against Jones for that advice.
Email can be fine for exchanging information, making an appointment, or any of the other things that a rep might need to do.  I would not have a problem telling my clients that the reason I am using a Yahoo address is because the who theory behind Jones is to be uninfluenced by the corporate BS that infects a place like Morgan Stanley.
Complain about Jones and their attitude towards option writing accounts if you want, or complain that they're not known for having a lot of allocaton of new issues, there are lots of things to complain about.
But whining that it's a cult, or that the regional partner dresses in cheap clothes, or that you don't have state of the art email is grasp at straws.  Not a one of those things has the power to turn a loser into a winner.
Read through this stuff and you'll find whiners saying things like "Breathe on a mirror and you've got a job at Jones."
Well, that may be true--and the guy doing the whining is living proof.

unsunghero's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-12

Noggin,
My point had nothing do to with who does or does not have email at Jones.  This Newbie guy acted like anyone can get email so why complain that your firm doesnt provide it.  Congrats on the email though.

unsunghero's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-12

Newbie,
Your previous quote on email was,
Somebody is whining about not having e-mail.  How basic is that?  A sixth grader can get his own e-mail address without any adult intervention.
Now you go on some tangent about a vast industry email conundrum.  What the hell are you talking about?  Who gives a rip about email except that Jones had been promising it for 7-10 years with lame excuses like you will need an extra BOA(assistant) per broker to handle the email volume.  Now they have email. Great!  Bet every IR doesn't need another BOA.  That's the basic anti Jones gripe on email although each person can insert the lame excuse from their own experience I just entered mine.
What about the supposed support complaints?  Those are BS.  Or is there a vast industry conundrum on open architecture platforms too?
I have to say I really like the reference to the "young people" who might be mislead by some of the anti Jones comments.  I have seen more stupid "old" people at Jones regurgitate BS that would make a billy goat puke than I have seen "young people" be mislead.   You sound like an old condescending dumbass who spends most of his days standing in front of a toilet waiting for something to happen.  Well here's a tip.  Get off the swollen prostate medication and pull your head out of your ass and your urethra will flow like old times.
 

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

unsunghero wrote:
I have to say I really like the reference to the "young people" who might be mislead by some of the anti Jones comments.  I have seen more stupid "old" people at Jones regurgitate BS that would make a billy goat puke than I have seen "young people" be mislead.   You sound like an old condescending dumbass who spends most of his days standing in front of a toilet waiting for something to happen.  Well here's a tip.  Get off the swollen prostate medication and pull your head out of your ass and your urethra will flow like old times.

For the young people who are reading this.
This industry is not filled with angry losers like this guy.  Do you suppose that if  he were able to close a deal he'd really care about email?
The reference to open architecture has to do with the state of the art computer systems--just like everywhere in society we're always looking at that other guy's computer and thinking "Gee Whiz but that's neat."
The reality is that whatever he had somebody else would have something better.  If he were not such an angry guy it wouldn't matter what he was using.
It's not about e-mail; it's not about computers; it's not about your local manager; it's not about the national managers; it's not about your selection of funds; it's not about the quality of your firm's research; it's not about how much help you get.
What it's all about is YOU.  If you cannot close a deal you're going to be pissed off like the guy above.
If you are thought of by your peers as a joke you're going to be pissed off like that guy above.
If you are behind in your mortgage payment you're going to blame everybody but the guy in the mirror.
And as with almost every decision you make you'd be wrong there too.
A good financial planner can sell a client a mutual fund without email and without an open architecture platform.
What the guy who was spewing bile above should do is get out of the office and shake some hands instead of banging away on a keyboard.

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

Nasd-
If your name conveys who you are, I am in agreement with Unsung (except for the dumbass remark). You are too new to make your claims, or you don't understand the industry yet. When you walk in someones shoes, i.e. work in the industry for 5-10 years, then comeback with your diatribes.
Email is just another tool to facilitate us or the client into action. If you are suggesting that in my post I was looking for help of some kind, I would argue I was looking for value. And it just isn't there.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

footsoldier wrote:
If your name conveys who you are, I am in agreement with Unsung (except for the dumbass remark). You are too new to make your claims, or you don't understand the industry yet. When you walk in someones shoes, i.e. work in the industry for 5-10 years, then comeback with your diatribes.

When were you born?

unsunghero's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-12

Newbie,
Nice comeback.  I'm behind on my mortgage. You are a dumbass.  Go take some more Flomax.
Why are you askind foot his age?  Is the age thing all you have?  You clearly have no clue about this business as revealed by your posts.  You are either totally new to the business or are a "Jones Vet."(operated in the cocoon for at least 5 years)   You think you know someting about selling because you shuffled paper for some company doing b2b sales.  Keep posting though with BBD and G1 gone we need someone to laugh at.  Dumbass.
 

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

unsunghero wrote:
Why are you askind foot his age?  Is the age thing all you have?  You clearly have no clue about this business as revealed by your posts.  You are either totally new to the business or are a "Jones Vet."(operated in the cocoon for at least 5 years)   You think you know someting about selling because you shuffled paper for some company doing b2b sales.  Keep posting though with BBD and G1 gone we need someone to laugh at.  Dumbass.

Who among us cannot appreciate sanity when it parades before our very eyes.
Do you think this soul would be so angry if he were able to shake hands with a prospect and actually close a deal?

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

Nasd-
Probably before you. I am in my mid life (sad to admit). Probably more importantly I have been in this business for almost 15 years.
Any other questions?

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

footsoldier wrote:
Nasd-
Probably before you. I am in my mid life (sad to admit). Probably more importantly I have been in this business for almost 15 years.
Any other questions?

I took my first securities industry exam in 1971.
Does that mean I have as much experience as you do?

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×