St. Louis or Tempe

32 replies [Last post]
bwstone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-15

Just signed on with EDJ and received an email today stating that I could go to training in Tempe or St. Louis.  For you Jones guys and gals out there, which is better and why?  Thanks for any input.

noggin's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-30

Tempe

bwstone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-15

Thanks.  Why?  Are the accomodations better or do you just like Tempe better than St. Louis?
 
thanks!

Dark Knight's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-01-30

Yes Tempe.  Never made it to SL, but talked with someone who had.  They said it sucked big time compared to Tempe.  The facilities are much newer and nicer in tempe.  Especially the food.

Maxstud's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-29

Tempe

now_indy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-28

Tempe. Especially is you are going soon.  It gets cold in St. Louis.  Also, the food is SO much better in Tempe.

regrep23's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-16

Thanks for the input guys, and to the thread starter...I was about to make this same thread  Oh, and I'll be choosing Tempe just because of the weather.

Broker7's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

LOL...you have no choice.

Broker24's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-10-12

Tempe. Newer, warmer, and the food is much better on campus.

Borker Boy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-12-09

I'm surprised you've been given a choice. The general rule-of-thumb is that if you're west of the Mississippi, you go to Tempe; those to the east, St. Louis.
 
I've been to both locations twice, and Tempe is hands-down the best choice. The Embassy Suites is awesome, their breakfast is first class, and the facility where you'll spend upwards of 12 hours per day is wonderful. Also, you'll be amazed at the dining facilites there. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say you'll be floored at your options for lunch and dinner.
 
St. Louis is beautiful. I've always enjoyed jogging there in the evenings, but that's about the only compliment I can pay to the place. The facitilites are fine, but the food is so bad, it overshadows any other positive.
 
And no, I don't weight 325 pounds; I just love good food! 

Broker24's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-10-12

Borker Boy wrote: I'm surprised you've been given a choice. The general rule-of-thumb is that if you're west of the Mississippi, you go to Tempe; those to the east, St. Louis.
 
I've been to both locations twice, and Tempe is hands-down the best choice. The Embassy Suites is awesome, their breakfast is first class, and the facility where you'll spend upwards of 12 hours per day is wonderful. Also, you'll be amazed at the dining facilites there. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say you'll be floored at your options for lunch and dinner.
 
St. Louis is beautiful. I've always enjoyed jogging there in the evenings, but that's about the only compliment I can pay to the place. The facitilites are fine, but the food is so bad, it overshadows any other positive.
 
And no, I don't weight 325 pounds; I just love good food! 

I doubt he was given a choice. The letter probably said he will be SENT to either Tempe or St. Louis. I don't think they plan their training based on where people choose to go. He probably misunderstands (uhh, "misremembers") what the letter is saying.

rankstocks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-10

Tempe is nicer.  I was their for their first series of classes back in '03 (pretty sure this is the year) as a visiting vet.  Anyway, Jones bought the facility for a song and a dance from Motorola.  The facility is much nicer than St. Louis, and better weather this time of year.  I hope you learn a lot.

Borker Boy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-12-09

Broker24 wrote:  He probably misunderstands (uhh, "misremembers") what the letter is saying.
 
 
 
 
                                                                     

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

They are building new training facilities in STL, but they won't be ready for a while yet.  I've not visited Tempe, but have heard it is hands down a much better place to have to spend a week.  I would agree with B24 that he probably doesn't really have a choice.  If he does, he's the first person I've ever heard of.  But, maybe they're trying something new. 

EDJ4now's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-08

I think for either segment 2 or 3, I kind of had a choice, based on the calendar.  They didn't advertise it that way, but when I called and asked about moving to a later date, they told me in a round about way that if you go this week, you go to StL, 2 weeks later is Tempe, or whatever the schedule was at the time.  
 
Guess where I went?  (Hint, I didn't pack my winter coat, and the food was better than my high school cafeteria)
 
This probably doesn't work for the intro classes though.

Dark Knight's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-01-30

Ditto on the later choice for me.

bwstone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-15

Broker7 wrote:LOL...you have no choice.
 
The gap between what people think they know and what they actually know sometimes amazes me.  Broker7, I live in TN and chose Tempe as my training site and received my flight/hotel confirmations today.
 
To everyone else, thanks for the feebback!

MISS JONES's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-08-28

BWSTONE.. I have been to both training facilities and Tempe is much better food wise but I think you walk away with the firms culture more when you visit STL. Try and visit both at some point in your career here.
 
Best of luck. Miss J
 
** Welcome to the firm!

Jonesness's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-26

Im East...thought STL would be more convienent...but EJ sent me to Tempe..I had  no choice.

New2EJ&Biz's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-27

I'm going to Tempe for KYC next month. Not too many are going to St. Louis now because they are renovating the place.
 
Glad to hear it's better than St. Louis. I don't like the cold anyway.
 
HI EVERYONE! Been unregistered  and reading here for a couple of days now. Decided to register and post...passed the 7 and working on the 66 now. Someone please pass the K-Y. This is the driest stuff I have EVER read.
 
Looks like there is some enlightening information here...
much to be sorted and mulled over.
 
Tell me, what's "LPL"?

Jonesness's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-26

http://www.lpl.com/

New2EJ congrats...did you have a choice between STL and Tempe?

New2EJ&Biz's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-27

Jonesness wrote:http://www.lpl.com/

New2EJ congrats...did you have a choice between STL and Tempe?
 
Nope! Got told where I was going. I'm happy with it. Hate the cold.

Broker7's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

bwstone wrote:Broker7 wrote:LOL...you have no choice.
 
The gap between what people think they know and what they actually know sometimes amazes me.  Broker7, I live in TN and chose Tempe as my training site and received my flight/hotel confirmations today.
 
To everyone else, thanks for the feebback!
 
We all know you didn't have a choice...it's OK...just admit when you are wrong

bwstone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-15

Broker7 wrote:bwstone wrote:Broker7 wrote:LOL...you have no choice.
 
The gap between what people think they know and what they actually know sometimes amazes me.  Broker7, I live in TN and chose Tempe as my training site and received my flight/hotel confirmations today.
 
To everyone else, thanks for the feebback!
 
We all know you didn't have a choice...it's OK...just admit when you are wrong
 
7, I'll send you some pics from the desert.....

Dark Knight's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-01-30

Broker7 wrote:bwstone wrote:Broker7 wrote:LOL...you have no choice.
 
The gap between what people think they know and what they actually know sometimes amazes me.  Broker7, I live in TN and chose Tempe as my training site and received my flight/hotel confirmations today.
 
To everyone else, thanks for the feebback!
 
We all know you didn't have a choice...it's OK...just admit when you are wrong
 
Careful B7 you're starting to sound like Clemens.  Just move on.

Broker7's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

If it is what you do that defines you, please try to refrain from making baseless quips like

"Careful B7 you're starting to sound like Clemens.  Just move on."
 
bwstone is a good guy, he actually had the integrity to come clean.  Please keep us informed on how Tempe treats you...and good luck with your new career. 

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Somebody mentioned earlier that they were doing some renovations to the training buildings at Jones in STL.  That's an understatement.  I was at the North Campus yesterday, where a lot of you Jones people did your training, and they have completely torn down one of the main training buildings.  So, if your training was in Building 20, which was the one story building with a big room in the middle of the building and the classrooms around the sides, that building is no longer standing.  Made me kind of sad.  I had a lot of good times in that building. 
That's got to be the reason a lot of these guys are having to go to Tempe for training no matter where they live.  There's just not enough room in STL right now.

henryhill's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-08-23

who cares about the food.  If the Stl Cardinals are playing in town.  Go to Stl and catch a game.  If not, Tempe.

New2EJ&Biz's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-27

Loved Tempe. Loved the Embassy Suites too! Food was awesome!
 
I left my house 03/08 and it was sleeting and snowing. Landed in Tempe and was pi$$ed when I realized I forgot to bring shorts.
 
Of course, when I go back for eval/grad I'll be looking for the A/C...
 

cerpen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-01-18

Can I ask a stupid question?
Did you have your own hotel room or have a roomie?
(Told you it was a dumb question!)

bwstone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-02-15

you have a roomie...you can have your own room but you have to pay for it.

Borker Boy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-12-09

You'll have a roommate for the first three training classes, and then if you survive beyond them, you'll get to stay in a room all by yourself.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×