I don't mind paying for it...

77 replies [Last post]
Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

If you've read my posts this past month (year?), you know I have absolutely no idea what I am doing...that said, I'm still entertaining the idea of trying to build my book of business part-time while working a full-time job. I was reading the Indy/RIA forum and saw some posts about B/D (Harbor) where there are no minimums, Just a monthly fee to use their services, etc. But, as I read further, it seems their fees actually approach $2,000/month - which is a little out of my range.I was wondering if anyone knew of any reputable firms where I could work as a part-time rep until I get this off the ground. This seems to be possible with the insurance companies I am interviewing with, but they lack some of the financial research and marketing I would like to have.

deekay's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-15

Still@jones wrote:If you've read my posts this past month (year?), you know I have absolutely no idea what I am doing...that said, I'm still entertaining the idea of trying to build my book of business part-time while working a full-time job. I was reading the Indy/RIA forum and saw some posts about B/D (Harbor) where there are no minimums, Just a monthly fee to use their services, etc. But, as I read further, it seems their fees actually approach $2,000/month - which is a little out of my range.I was wondering if anyone knew of any reputable firms where I could work as a part-time rep until I get this off the ground. This seems to be possible with the insurance companies I am interviewing with, but they lack some of the financial research and marketing I would like to have.
You failed out once, you want to work on building your practice part-time, and you're worried about "financial research and marketing"? 
 
Do yourself a favor and don't bother.  If this sort of thing is at or even close to the top of the list of attributes your new firm have, you're wasting your time.  You'll fail again.  I'm not being flippant - research and marketing mean nothing in the early stages of your career.  Seeing people or fighting to see people about your services is the only thing you should be worried about.  Period.

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Yeah...I know, I'm worried about high ticket charges when I don't even have tickets...But, I figured I would ask anyway...I never know what will be uncovered...oh, and I thought the subject line, "I don't mind paying for it..." was funny...I have another interview with Guardian next week...I have a feeling that's where I'm going to end up.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Try Primerica or Waddell / Reed - we know they blow, the public does not.  I have the feeling though if your not willing to market to your friends, family, or past associates you are toast.  Just suck up your pride, do the job like everyone else or go back to your past career. Dignity comes in the form of a pay check.

DeBolt's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-12

Jones requirements for newbs would be considered part time and you could not hack that.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

Try "The Professional Alliance."  They are basically be OSJ of Cambridge.  Great technology.  No minimum production.  Independent.  They cater mostly to CPAs that do investments on the side, but they have part time brokers for all sorts of reasons (retirement career, lawyers, cpas, etc.).  

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Thanks IC...See that....that's why I keep posting!10 insults3 pieces of new information1 that I might use

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

You'll probably still fail. Information or not. If you couldn't do the job before, full time, you won't do it part time.  This is a job of no back up plans. How in the world could you succeed if you are trying to do this job WHILE working your backup plan. I really think you are wasting your time with this. I hope you don't have a family that depends on you.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

I'm just curious, but how many of you that say "this business can't be done part time" are speaking with ANY experience at all on the subject?  A single one of you?  I doubt it.Granted, "part time" doesn't mean you only work 10 - 2, M - F.  You have to be available almost whenever, wherever.  But to getting a side job and easing your way into the biz is doable.  There are people at my firm, heck, at my office, that do this part time.Some are retired.  Some do this on the side.  Some are easing their way into the biz.  It's doable - but you need to have a b/d that is "on board" with it - and none of the "big firms" are (the employee model firms, anyway).  So, if you don't have experience, please don't extrapolate facts from your own experience in the biz.  It is indeed possible, and to say otherwise is misleading.

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Maybe what's confusing some people is they're thinking I'm talking about working the 7am-3pm shift at the Cumberland Coal Mine; then going door-knocking from 4-7pm in my work blues...like some of you might do...actually, that might work in West Virginia. I'm interviewing for a job where I only need to make 6 sales calls a day and spend 60% of my day driving. I think I could also make calls to small businesses (in my natural market) at the same time.

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

One problem is that your B/D is going to have to approve of your full-time job.  In order to pull it off, I think that you need to stay away from compliance.  The best/easiest way to do this is to be insurance only. 
Sell insurance until you're ready to be full time again.  It's the only way to make it part time unless you are a superstar and you have proven to yourself that you aren't yet a superstar.

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

True...not even close to superstar...much closer to bat-boy...All my topics all seem to end up with insurance being my best route; and I'm beginning to believe this is probably true. I have interviews with NML & Guardian next week...hopefully, something good will happen.

Otane's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-04

iceco1d wrote: I'm just curious, but how many of you that say "this business can't be done part time" are speaking with ANY experience at all on the subject?  A single one of you?  I doubt it.Granted, "part time" doesn't mean you only work 10 - 2, M - F.  You have to be available almost whenever, wherever.  But to getting a side job and easing your way into the biz is doable.  There are people at my firm, heck, at my office, that do this part time.Some are retired.  Some do this on the side.  Some are easing their way into the biz.  It's doable - but you need to have a b/d that is "on board" with it - and none of the "big firms" are (the employee model firms, anyway).  So, if you don't have experience, please don't extrapolate facts from your own experience in the biz.  It is indeed possible, and to say otherwise is misleading.

This and any business can be done part-time. I already run several businesses profitably and know it can be done. The problem with working for a wirehouse, or what have you, is that there are minimums and pressures to produce. I am sure that once you are established that your cold calling falls off and you tend to coast - hence the part time does come into effect.

I love how some of you guys say "you will fail" - like you guys have been winners all of your life. Who cares whether he fails or not, just wish him good luck.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

Thanks for the reaffirmation Otane.  I think I'm in a similar boat as you - good to have some balance on these issues.  Just because you can do things a certain way at some firms, doesn't mean you can't do them certain ways at other firms.

Otane's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-04

iceco1d wrote: Thanks for the reaffirmation Otane.  I think I'm in a similar boat as you - good to have some balance on these issues.  Just because you can do things a certain way at some firms, doesn't mean you can't do them certain ways at other firms.

I am about to join a wirehouse, and if doesn't work out, I will pay for the fees out of my own pocket and do it my way.If I end up there, I wouldn't mind collecting all the throwaways that these wirehouses kick out, and have them work for my company.

I would rather take people who have failed, and have the drive, then arrogant knuckleheads who have sucked their family tits to make the hurdle.

DeBolt's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-12

There is a difference in going part time because you don't want to work full time and going part time because you suck at working full time.

 
Good reason to go part time-
not enough savings, retired, add another layer to your currnet business etc.
 
Bad reason to go part time-
because you could not open 17 accounts and net $2250 in four months

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Good reason to go part time-Instead of pitching American funds to 1,700 strangers trying to open 17 accounts, you want to use the next 2-3 years to work towards building quality relationships with 100 prospects, each with $1MM-$10MM in investable assets.

DeBolt's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-12

Ok Give me a script how this conversation will go when you finally ask that HNW client to transfer their account over to you the guy that manages money for a hobby. What will you have to offer that he doesnt get from any full time guys. If you said 50k first and work up I may have believed it. I won't be the one to tell you it can't be done because I have gone against the grain in the past but geeze man. What do you really have that makes you better part time then the full time guy? I will say that you seem persistant!

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

All my potential prospects are small business owners. Start by pitching insurance; then go after employee 401k, then go after owner's investments. I would be full-time before I made any serious push for owner's investments.   The key is to focus on only one market and to know that market better than anyone else. Even part-time, I could out perform FT reps who are trying to be everything to everybody.

DeBolt's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-12

So you know of 100 small business owners with >1mm in investable assets? If you can't get five a year you absolutely suck at this game. You should have no problem working them full time and picking up some low hangin fruit along the way. I say quit pussy footing around and do what you come to do! If I were in your shoes and had that niche I would make it or die trying literally. No part time BS!! What is holding you back?

svm21's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-05-07

Still@jones wrote:Good reason to go part time-Instead of pitching American funds to 1,700 strangers trying to open 17 accounts, you want to use the next 2-3 years to work towards building quality relationships with 100 prospects, each with $1MM-$10MM in investable assets.
 American funds my ass. Most of the EDJ offices I've been to pitch Franklin Templeton. And stop saying "instead of" you never pitched anything. I can't believe what your saying.  I'm embarrassed to be associated with a firm that hired such a joke. Please give me the information on the NWM office you have an interview with, I will spare them of your half ass attempt. Be a man and admit that you reason you were fired is because you couldn't cut it. EDJ has 8 preferred funds that you could of chose from, not to mention the many others. What about bonds? Individual stocks? Advisory solutions?  YOU CHOSE American funds. If you didn't believe in the product, then why were you selling it? Wow you blow. Have some integrity and stop your excuses. As for the topic, its a great idea. Someday I wish I'll be able to do this "part time." Meaning 30 hrs a week after 25-30 years when I have a established book. In general the idea is definitely possible. On a specific note, meaning you......tbd

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

Otane wrote: iceco1d wrote: I'm just curious, but how many of you that say "this business can't be done part time" are speaking with ANY experience at all on the subject?  A single one of you?  I doubt it.Granted, "part time" doesn't mean you only work 10 - 2, M - F.  You have to be available almost whenever, wherever.  But to getting a side job and easing your way into the biz is doable.  There are people at my firm, heck, at my office, that do this part time.Some are retired.  Some do this on the side.  Some are easing their way into the biz.  It's doable - but you need to have a b/d that is "on board" with it - and none of the "big firms" are (the employee model firms, anyway).  So, if you don't have experience, please don't extrapolate facts from your own experience in the biz.  It is indeed possible, and to say otherwise is misleading. This and any business can be done part-time. I already run several businesses profitably and know it can be done. The problem with working for a wirehouse, or what have you, is that there are minimums and pressures to produce. I am sure that once you are established that your cold calling falls off and you tend to coast - hence the part time does come into effect. I love how some of you guys say "you will fail" - like you guys have been winners all of your life. Who cares whether he fails or not, just wish him good luck.

 
Can you give us an example of somebody who failed working full time in this business but was able to succeed working part time?

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

You're right, I couldn't cut it using the Jones recipe; and the truth is, I really didn't like the Jones recipe... But, I really like this industry and I believe it is a great fit for me. I just need to find my best way to get started. I once met a psychiatrist who started out as a part-time FA. He just started seeing less patients and all his clients/prospects were other psychiatrists. He didn't focus on the next "money-due" but, instead, became an expert in strategies for running a psychiatrist office like a business. I'm not a psychiatrist, but I think a similar strategy could work for me. I want to focus on a small market (about 100-300 small businesses). I think it will be a much, much longer sales cycle, but I believe I can be the best FA for businesses this market. ...and, I would like to withdraw my American Funds comment...you can sell any quality investments you want at Edward Jones.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Still@jones wrote: You're right, I couldn't cut it using the Jones recipe; and the truth is, I really didn't like the Jones recipe... But, I really like this industry and I believe it is a great fit for me. I just need to find my best way to get started. I once met a psychiatrist who started out as a part-time FA. He just started seeing less patients and all his clients/prospects were other psychiatrists. He didn't focus on the next "money-due" but, instead, became an expert in strategies for running a psychiatrist office like a business. I'm not a psychiatrist, but I think a similar strategy could work for me. I want to focus on a small market (about 100-300 small businesses). I think it will be a much, much longer sales cycle, but I believe I can be the best FA for businesses this market. ...and, I would like to withdraw my American Funds comment...you can sell any quality investments you want at Edward Jones.
 
If you think HNW prospects are going to fork over millions of dollars to you you've lost your mind. Do you think they'll trust you with no office, no assistant, no track record, no references, and no name and give you millions? I've heard it all now!!! You could not open 17 accounts when you were doing it full time - every goof falls into a 401k rollover at some point, you didn't even find that.  Good to have goals, terrible to have unrealistic goals. Throw away that damn book you are reading that tanked your career at EDJ and wake up.
 
If I were going to do this business part time and I don't think you can start part-time and make it work, I'd create a small niche business.  Focus on two things... term life and 529s.  I know there is zero money in that but at least you start getting some clients.  You become an expert at two very simple products - talk it up and you become the go to guy in your town.  Branch out after time.
 

BerkshireBull's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-10

Still@Jones, another thing you will want to be aware of with these insurance companies is that they will want to recruit you as a career agent/advisor.  If you're going to do this part time that is not the path you want to go, there will be minimums and meetings and a manager assigned to you, this probably won't work if you do it part-time.  What you want from them is a broker contract where you have a license to sell their products.  Now keep in mind they don't get paid anything for recruiting a broker where there's big money in a career agent/advisor but you need to explain your situation and tell them that if you can get off the ground and come back full time you will then sign a career contract and you will be producing at a higher level than you would by signing a career contract now.

Otane's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-04

anonymous wrote: Otane wrote: iceco1d wrote: I'm just curious, but how many of you that say "this business can't be done part time" are speaking with ANY experience at all on the subject?  A single one of you?  I doubt it.Granted, "part time" doesn't mean you only work 10 - 2, M - F.  You have to be available almost whenever, wherever.  But to getting a side job and easing your way into the biz is doable.  There are people at my firm, heck, at my office, that do this part time.Some are retired.  Some do this on the side.  Some are easing their way into the biz.  It's doable - but you need to have a b/d that is "on board" with it - and none of the "big firms" are (the employee model firms, anyway).  So, if you don't have experience, please don't extrapolate facts from your own experience in the biz.  It is indeed possible, and to say otherwise is misleading. This and any business can be done part-time. I already run several businesses profitably and know it can be done. The problem with working for a wirehouse, or what have you, is that there are minimums and pressures to produce. I am sure that once you are established that your cold calling falls off and you tend to coast - hence the part time does come into effect. I love how some of you guys say "you will fail" - like you guys have been winners all of your life. Who cares whether he fails or not, just wish him good luck.

 
Can you give us an example of somebody who failed working full time in this business but was able to succeed working part time?

Trading for one. It takes a long time to learn the business, and many of the successful hedge fund managers were doing something else to study the markets. I worked for a company back East that produced managers such as Kovner, Tudor, and etc., and saw many examples where people were fired from their original jobs, took other jobs to continue their studies.....it is just having the will to succeed.

Others professions like real estate (which most are doing part time since the market crumbled)are good examples as well.

It is better to fail in the beginning, and it is expected. It is in the later stages that most financial people fail - screwing around on their wife, drugs, and etc., Money has a strange effect on people.

Otane's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-04

voltmoie wrote: Still@jones wrote: You're right, I couldn't cut it using the Jones recipe; and the truth is, I really didn't like the Jones recipe... But, I really like this industry and I believe it is a great fit for me. I just need to find my best way to get started. I once met a psychiatrist who started out as a part-time FA. He just started seeing less patients and all his clients/prospects were other psychiatrists. He didn't focus on the next "money-due" but, instead, became an expert in strategies for running a psychiatrist office like a business. I'm not a psychiatrist, but I think a similar strategy could work for me. I want to focus on a small market (about 100-300 small businesses). I think it will be a much, much longer sales cycle, but I believe I can be the best FA for businesses this market. ...and, I would like to withdraw my American Funds comment...you can sell any quality investments you want at Edward Jones.
 
If you think HNW prospects are going to fork over millions of dollars to you you've lost your mind. Do you think they'll trust you with no office, no assistant, no track record, no references, and no name and give you millions? I've heard it all now!!! You could not open 17 accounts when you were doing it full time - every goof falls into a 401k rollover at some point, you didn't even find that.  Good to have goals, terrible to have unrealistic goals. Throw away that damn book you are reading that tanked your career at EDJ and wake up.
 
If I were going to do this business part time and I don't think you can start part-time and make it work, I'd create a small niche business.  Focus on two things... term life and 529s.  I know there is zero money in that but at least you start getting some clients.  You become an expert at two very simple products - talk it up and you become the go to guy in your town.  Branch out after time.
 

I have ran into several Edward Jones people and these individuals were definitely brainwashed (I can't say that for others). I can see how a person would have trouble there.

I talked to a Omaha rep and it seems that still@jones could start there. They don't pay for anything, will sponsor you for their license, and have the products to go. I don't know how the hell they get quality people, but the independence they give you is perfect for a part timer.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

For the record, I had $1mil+ clients that wouldn't touch me until I started my own business. And these are people who I had good friendships with. When I was at Jones, they couldn't believe that I would work for a model like that.

Not bashing Jones, but my guess is Still could do quite well for himself IF 1) he has the drive 2) he truly did not succeed because he didn't like the Jones model 3) he is willing to work hard part-time and actually WORK the time he is doing this and 4) he works HARD.

There are a myriad of ways this business can be done. Jones/wires/banks are only a few of them.

Still, I think you are a clown for being such a Jones supporter and bashing non-Jones people when you were in love with Jones, but I wish you the best of luck on your own.

The rest of you guys from Jones criticizing Still - don't assume you know everything about how the industry (or even Jones) works. I sure don't. I learn more every day, which I wouldn't if I were Still@jones:).

Just because he didn't want to open up $50 a month DCA's or accounts with $10k in them, doesn't mean he couldn't.    

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

I think we know enough about about the industry to know the foundation of what it takes to build a business - I'm guessing the only magic is doing the work, right?  True, there are many things to learn but those come with growth and experience.  However, given my past experiences in senior management I've seen guys like Still my entire life.  They are talented and talk a good game.  They are what my football coach used to call practice players.  When it comes to game time they don't show up.  I HIGHLY doubt Still turned away accounts. He just didn't do the work - but I bet he impressed the hell out of everyone at Eval/Grad with his insight into door knocking and building relationships. PRACTICE PLAYER!What we know for a FACT about Still:1. He lies - Told prospects he works at ML after being fired from Jones2. He breaks rules - opened an unregistered office3. He is lazy - Has admitted as much4. He can't think for himself - Read his posts about his field trainer, etc. etc.Let me follow the logic I'm seeing on here - He can't make it full time but for some reason now he has a chance to make it part-time nailing 1mm+ accounts?  I'm going back to drinking beer, my head hurts...

Otane's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-04

Just because he can't make it with the Jones model doesn't mean he is a failure, but I get the gist of your statement.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

I agree with that.  Hope he joins a firm more inline with his talents.

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

Still@jones wrote: You're right, I couldn't cut it using the Jones recipe; and the truth is, I really didn't like the Jones recipe... But, I really like this industry and I believe it is a great fit for me. I just need to find my best way to get started. I once met a psychiatrist who started out as a part-time FA. He just started seeing less patients and all his clients/prospects were other psychiatrists. He didn't focus on the next "money-due" but, instead, became an expert in strategies for running a psychiatrist office like a business. I'm not a psychiatrist, but I think a similar strategy could work for me. I want to focus on a small market (about 100-300 small businesses). I think it will be a much, much longer sales cycle, but I believe I can be the best FA for businesses this market. ...and, I would like to withdraw my American Funds comment...you can sell any quality investments you want at Edward Jones.

 
I believe that anybody can succeed in this business if they are willing to do the work.  The problem is that people who blame their firm usually don't have what it takes to do what needs to be done on a daily basis.  Don't get on the defensive because I don't know if this describes you.  Hopefully, it does not. 
 
My fear for you is simply that much of your thought process involves avoiding doing what is uncomfortable.

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

The fact that he lied to prospects and couldn't open an account full time shows me his character. If you could not open an account doing it full time, you won't part time. I get what everyone is saying about it being able to be done, but most of those people went part time after having long careers. They know people and more than likely have experience doing this job. It's not someone who failed doing it full-time. I think what we are seeing here is a guy who couldn't cut it doing the job, because he didn't do the work. Made excuses long enough to make it through Eval/Grad. Got fired and now blames the firms recipe.

Make no mistake, you need to find another career and quit wasting your time. Anyone with a little bit of personality and a 20 on their ACT can make a total of $2200 gross in 4 months. Thats one trade. Not only that, but i know plenty of people who didn't make those numbers. In fact, didn't even get close, but STILL got pushed through. Why? Because they were working. Thats why they track your doorknocks. Jones doesn't give a sh*t how you run your business, aslong as you are making money. When you aren't making money AND they don't see you working, thats when you get fired.

The fact that they didn't even put you on goals (which is policy) tells me, you didn't work period. Stop making excuses for your failure. A real man makes his success, no matter the circumstance. They don't make excuses about why they couldn't.

svm21's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-05-07

Ronnie Dobbs wrote:The fact that he lied to prospects and couldn't open an account full time shows me his character. If you could not open an account doing it full time, you won't part time. I get what everyone is saying about it being able to be done, but most of those people went part time after having long careers. They know people and more than likely have experience doing this job. It's not someone who failed doing it full-time. I think what we are seeing here is a guy who couldn't cut it doing the job, because he didn't do the work. Made excuses long enough to make it through Eval/Grad. Got fired and now blames the firms recipe.

Make no mistake, you need to find another career and quit wasting your time. Anyone with a little bit of personality and a 20 on their ACT can make a total of $2200 gross in 4 months. Thats one trade. Not only that, but i know plenty of people who didn't make those numbers. In fact, didn't even get close, but STILL got pushed through. Why? Because they were working. Thats why they track your doorknocks. Jones doesn't give a sh*t how you run your business, aslong as you are making money. When you aren't making money AND they don't see you working, thats when you get fired.

The fact that they didn't even put you on goals (which is policy) tells me, you didn't work period. Stop making excuses for your failure. A real man makes his success, no matter the circumstance. They don't make excuses about why they couldn't.ditto

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Ronnie Dobbs wrote:The fact that he lied to prospects and couldn't open an account full time shows me his character. If you could not open an account doing it full time, you won't part time. I get what everyone is saying about it being able to be done, but most of those people went part time after having long careers. They know people and more than likely have experience doing this job. It's not someone who failed doing it full-time. I think what we are seeing here is a guy who couldn't cut it doing the job, because he didn't do the work. Made excuses long enough to make it through Eval/Grad. Got fired and now blames the firms recipe. Make no mistake, you need to find another career and quit wasting your time. Anyone with a little bit of personality and a 20 on their ACT can make a total of $2200 gross in 4 months. Thats one trade. Not only that, but i know plenty of people who didn't make those numbers. In fact, didn't even get close, but STILL got pushed through. Why? Because they were working. Thats why they track your doorknocks. Jones doesn't give a sh*t how you run your business, aslong as you are making money. When you aren't making money AND they don't see you working, thats when you get fired. The fact that they didn't even put you on goals (which is policy) tells me, you didn't work period. Stop making excuses for your failure. A real man makes his success, no matter the circumstance. They don't make excuses about why they couldn't.
 
Best thing Windy ever said...

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Ronnie Dobbs wrote: The fact that he lied to prospects and couldn't open an account full time shows me his character. If you could not open an account doing it full time, you won't part time. I get what everyone is saying about it being able to be done, but most of those people went part time after having long careers. They know people and more than likely have experience doing this job. It's not someone who failed doing it full-time. I think what we are seeing here is a guy who couldn't cut it doing the job, because he didn't do the work. Made excuses long enough to make it through Eval/Grad. Got fired and now blames the firms recipe.

Make no mistake, you need to find another career and quit wasting your time. Anyone with a little bit of personality and a 20 on their ACT can make a total of $2200 gross in 4 months. Thats one trade. Not only that, but i know plenty of people who didn't make those numbers. In fact, didn't even get close, but STILL got pushed through. Why? Because they were working. Thats why they track your doorknocks. Jones doesn't give a sh*t how you run your business, aslong as you are making money. When you aren't making money AND they don't see you working, thats when you get fired.

The fact that they didn't even put you on goals (which is policy) tells me, you didn't work period. Stop making excuses for your failure. A real man makes his success, no matter the circumstance. They don't make excuses about why they couldn't.

I know a guy who is an Indy at LPL right now that did NOT get put on goals and was summarily fired. This guy is doing quite well for himself. He has a guy taking an override, but he's still making better dough that most guys with two years in the biz.

When you have been in the business at least a couple of years, I think you can begin making judgements.

I'm sorry to say it, but this is a case where newbie Jones guys don't know what they don't know.   

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

voltmoie wrote: I think we know enough about about the industry to know the foundation of what it takes to build a business - I'm guessing the only magic is doing the work, right?  True, there are many things to learn but those come with growth and experience.  However, given my past experiences in senior management I've seen guys like Still my entire life.  They are talented and talk a good game.  They are what my football coach used to call practice players.  When it comes to game time they don't show up.  I HIGHLY doubt Still turned away accounts. He just didn't do the work - but I bet he impressed the hell out of everyone at Eval/Grad with his insight into door knocking and building relationships. PRACTICE PLAYER!What we know for a FACT about Still:1. He lies - Told prospects he works at ML after being fired from Jones2. He breaks rules - opened an unregistered office3. He is lazy - Has admitted as much4. He can't think for himself - Read his posts about his field trainer, etc. etc.Let me follow the logic I'm seeing on here - He can't make it full time but for some reason now he has a chance to make it part-time nailing 1mm+ accounts?  I'm going back to drinking beer, my head hurts...

Couple of things:

1) Firms lie to recruits all of the time (I only know from experience from Jones)
2) I broke rules while I was at Jones. Used a personal email address to correspond with clients - IT SAVED MY ASS
3) Some of the most successful people I know are lazy. They weren't at first, but Still was transitioning from a job where he likely didn't have to do d***.
4) Once again, he came from a different place. I think his posts recently have shown that he can think for himself.

I think you guys are just hating on him because he is saying the recipe doesn't work - for HIM.

That isn't the only magic. Working smarter, not harder also helps. There are a myriad of ways to be successful - working your tail off at Jones is ONE.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Moraen wrote: Ronnie Dobbs wrote: The fact that he lied to prospects and couldn't open an account full time shows me his character. If you could not open an account doing it full time, you won't part time. I get what everyone is saying about it being able to be done, but most of those people went part time after having long careers. They know people and more than likely have experience doing this job. It's not someone who failed doing it full-time. I think what we are seeing here is a guy who couldn't cut it doing the job, because he didn't do the work. Made excuses long enough to make it through Eval/Grad. Got fired and now blames the firms recipe.

Make no mistake, you need to find another career and quit wasting your time. Anyone with a little bit of personality and a 20 on their ACT can make a total of $2200 gross in 4 months. Thats one trade. Not only that, but i know plenty of people who didn't make those numbers. In fact, didn't even get close, but STILL got pushed through. Why? Because they were working. Thats why they track your doorknocks. Jones doesn't give a sh*t how you run your business, aslong as you are making money. When you aren't making money AND they don't see you working, thats when you get fired.

The fact that they didn't even put you on goals (which is policy) tells me, you didn't work period. Stop making excuses for your failure. A real man makes his success, no matter the circumstance. They don't make excuses about why they couldn't.

I know a guy who is an Indy at LPL right now that did NOT get put on goals and was summarily fired. This guy is doing quite well for himself. He has a guy taking an override, but he's still making better dough that most guys with two years in the biz.

When you have been in the business at least a couple of years, I think you can begin making judgements.

Moraen ... I'm sure it CAN happen but what would you say the probability of success for Still is based on the information you have about him?

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

voltmoie wrote:

Moraen wrote: Ronnie Dobbs wrote: The fact that he lied to prospects and couldn't open an account full time shows me his character. If you could not open an account doing it full time, you won't part time. I get what everyone is saying about it being able to be done, but most of those people went part time after having long careers. They know people and more than likely have experience doing this job. It's not someone who failed doing it full-time. I think what we are seeing here is a guy who couldn't cut it doing the job, because he didn't do the work. Made excuses long enough to make it through Eval/Grad. Got fired and now blames the firms recipe.

Make no mistake, you need to find another career and quit wasting your time. Anyone with a little bit of personality and a 20 on their ACT can make a total of $2200 gross in 4 months. Thats one trade. Not only that, but i know plenty of people who didn't make those numbers. In fact, didn't even get close, but STILL got pushed through. Why? Because they were working. Thats why they track your doorknocks. Jones doesn't give a sh*t how you run your business, aslong as you are making money. When you aren't making money AND they don't see you working, thats when you get fired.

The fact that they didn't even put you on goals (which is policy) tells me, you didn't work period. Stop making excuses for your failure. A real man makes his success, no matter the circumstance. They don't make excuses about why they couldn't.

I know a guy who is an Indy at LPL right now that did NOT get put on goals and was summarily fired. This guy is doing quite well for himself. He has a guy taking an override, but he's still making better dough that most guys with two years in the biz.

When you have been in the business at least a couple of years, I think you can begin making judgements.

Moraen ... I'm sure it CAN happen but what would you say the probability of success for Still is based on the information you have about him?

Ok - I would say that Still has less than a five percent chance of making it, given what we know. You guys are right. Like I said, I think he's a clown.

But I wish him the best, despite his failures.

Maybe you guys are right to bash him and maybe it will prevent a total meltdown.

The point I was really trying to make is that it CAN be done. Whether it can be done by Still - who knows? I've seen people that really should not EVER make it - but did.

Also - I probably should stay off the "Rookies and Trainees" and let you guys handle your business.

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

We've all said it can be done multiple times in this thread, just not by this guy. The Jones recipe is not being defended here. We are simply saying that anyone with half a brain can gross $2200 and get past PDP. I know guys who were Seg 1 for over 2 years before being canned. He was not working. Has nothing to do with Jones recipe, MSSB recipe, or my apple cobblar recipe.
 Moraen - When you were at Jones, regardless of whether or not you liked it, you worked. Jones will keep someone around for a long time, even with no commission, if they know they are working. This guy is the guy who just wrote down names during the doorknocking period, called his Study For Success trainer constantly with excuses as to why he didn't finish his tests on time, and constantly bitched about not wanting to doorknock.
 
Everyone of you Jones guys and ex-Jones guys worked. You hated doorknocking, we all did. Fact is, you are successful because you didn't whine about your circumstances. Instead you realized, "I hate this, but this is what is going to get me to where I want to be. So I have to do it", and you did it. No questions. This guy didn't and he is trying to rationalize his failure. He's the guy that says, "I love Basketball", but didn't make the team and then says, "The coach is an asshole. I didn't get to play at all. He doesn't know what he's talking about". Still@Jones should be ignored, until he actually finds a job in this business. As far as I have seen, he is still sitting at home. If he had a good paying job before (which i think he is lying about), he would have already went back to it instead of trying to work part time.

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Wow! Lots of good stuff here...In my life, I've never listened to people when they've said "it can't be done" so feel free to say this as often as you like. As for some of the other comments...1. Telling the woman I was at ML was spontaneous, it wasn't premeditated, so please don't hold that against me.2. The office where I made calls wasn't illegal. If you're going to accuse me of a crime, make sure you know the rules first. 3. I said good things when I was @ Jones and I say bad things now - I'm the same way with my women...you know, love the one you're with. (Jones is a whore!!!!)4. When I find my right path, I am certain I will succeed at this. It is what I want. 5. For me to succeed at anything, I have to enjoy what I am doing. I believe anyone who is starting out strong, but hating each day, will run out of motivation somewhere between 12-36 months if they can't find something, other than money, that they love about this job. 6. I wrote my name and number on the "Jones & You" brochures during "field foundations" - This was illegal and I am sorry. 7. I'd rather get bashed for my ideas than ignored...so, thanks everyone who replied!

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

"5. For me to succeed at anything, I have to enjoy what I am doing."
 
I believe you.  Unfortunately, this will probably stop you from being able to be overly successful in any endeavor. 
 
Google and then read, "The Common Denominator of Success" by Albert E.N. Gray

Segment5Dude's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-08-12

You'll do just fine... When u get to the door, ask for their bank statements once you've given them their pizza

"No need for a tip, Sir... Just let me do a portfolio review... I used to work for Jones..."

franklin21's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-08-23

2. The office where I made calls wasn't illegal. If you're going to accuse me of a crime, make sure you know the rules first.Explain how it wasn't illegal. Just curious.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

franklin21 wrote:2. The office where I made calls wasn't illegal. If you're going to accuse me of a crime, make sure you know the rules first.Explain how it wasn't illegal. Just curious.
I'm curious as well.  An unregistered office used to conduct business.  Hmmm

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

I understand your point. My assertion comes down to whether this was another "Office used to conduct business". I believe, if the SEC looks at my production, they won't believe I conducted business at any office!!!But seriously, I am saying it was legal because:1. I NEVER met with clients at this location. 2. I ONLY made phone calls from a (cell) phone which was registered to me at my primary address. Now, I realize the SEC can find me guilty any time they want, but I still believe this was no different than making calls from my car or from a wholesaler's office. The phone number I used had an address at my registered office (hmmm...maybe I used an illegal phone). If there is anyone here who has experience in compliance, works for the SEC or who has worked in securities law, I would love to hear an expert opinion about this. You bozos who are quoting Jones compliance, can stop wasting space.

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

anonymous wrote:...Google and then read, "The Common Denominator of Success" by Albert E.N. Gray “The common denominator of success --- the secret of success of every man who has everbeen successful --- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failuresdon't like to do.”Reminds me of W. Clement Stone's "The success system that never fails"...which I've read. I don't know much about Gray, but I know WC Stone (who built what is now AON insurance) had a similar approach. They are both from the 40's and probably used each other's work. The main reason I would be skeptical of this is it was written by someone who is trying to inspire agents to do more work, not by someone who is trying to get people to develop the best quality of life and happyness. W.Clement Stone's chapter on "Overcoming Timidity and Fear" is quite funny...it's free online if you have the time...

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Still@jones wrote: anonymous wrote:...Google and then read, "The Common Denominator of Success" by Albert E.N. Gray “The common denominator of success --- the secret of success of every man who has everbeen successful --- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failuresdon't like to do.”Reminds me of W. Clement Stone's "The success system that never fails"...which I've read. I don't know much about Gray, but I know WC Stone (who built what is now AON insurance) had a similar approach. They are both from the 40's and probably used each other's work. The main reason I would be skeptical of this is it was written by someone who is trying to inspire agents to do more work, not by someone who is trying to get people to develop the best quality of life and happyness. W.Clement Stone's chapter on "Overcoming Timidity and Fear" is quite funny...it's free online if you have the time...
 
Look anonymous, my friend, this guy has read a book.  Within it's covers are the secrets to winning at this game.  It helps you develop the best quality of life and happiness.  Here is what it tells you to do:
 
* Don't do the work, fail, blame the company you worked for, think you can then go part time knowing nothing, and burn through your savings while you do it.  A MUST READ
 
Still ... you are a piker with the reading comprehension of a third grader.  Go re-read the article. He is not trying to get people to work harder .. he is simply telling them if they want to win they better be doing the work that is uncomfortable.  Not work harder.  Not work longer.  Door knocking is not hard work.  Cold calling is not hard work.  It's simply uncomfotable.  No wonder your a failure - oh, and I'll take fries with that. Thanks.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

So, with all of the Still bashing, do you guys still think Jones has these high standards (harder to get into than Harvard)?

B24's picture
B24
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08

What the he!! is everyone's problem?  STILL comes on here, is honest about his mistakes, wants to make it work.  Give the guy an f'n break.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

B24 wrote: What the he!! is everyone's problem?  STILL comes on here, is honest about his mistakes, wants to make it work.  Give the guy an f'n break.

I agree. I think there is a little fear from some of the new guys. You don't like to see other people fail.

I wasted a couple hours of my life trying to argue for Still.   Won't work. I think I should just stay off of the Rookie board. Although most of the funny stuff is on this thread.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×