Skip navigation

Gethardgetraw's 2009-2010 Cold Calling Journal

or Register to post new content in the forum

411 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Dec 16, 2009 8:31 pm

[quote=Still@jones] It’s wrong for me to joke about anyone’s production…but I will anyway!

[quote=gethardgetraw]

I've adopted a new schedule:

7:30 AM - Arrive. Read emails, msgs, check inventories, headlines. Coffee, music 8:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing 3 cold calls - Talk to 1 person
8:04 AM - Coffee, EAT, music, check market. 9:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing 3 cold calls - Talk to 2 people
9:05 AM - Coffee, music 10:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing 3 cold calls - Talk to 1 person 10:02 AM - Coffee, music 11:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing 3 cold calls 11:01 AM - Coffee, EAT, music, check market 12:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing 3 cold calls - Talk to 1 person - I'll call him a prospect!!!
12:04 PM - Coffee, music 1:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing 3 cold calls 1:01 PM - Coffee, music 2:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing 3 cold calls - Talk to 2 people 2:03 PM - Coffee, EAT, music 3:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing 2 cold calls 3:01 PM - Coffee, music, check market 4:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing 2 cold calls - Talk to 1 person 4:03 PM - Coffee, music 5:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing 2 cold calls 5:01 PM - EAT, music 6:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing 2 cold calls - Talk to 1 person - I'll call him a prospect!!!
6:05 PM - Music 7:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing 2 cold calls 7:01 PM - Check tomorrow's schedule  8:00 PM - Leave

31 calls 9 contacts 2 prospects created 0 sales
[/quote]

I did more than this and I failed....really got to get your game up GHGR...or move on...

[/quote]   He was kidding.... And my guess is you didn't do more than this.
Dec 16, 2009 8:35 pm

haha nice still@jones… fair enough

Dec 16, 2009 9:19 pm

still@ - If you did that you wouldn’t have failed at EJ. If you call that often it wouldn’t matter what you said or who you said it to. Especially at EJ with the low production standards you would still be around.

Dec 16, 2009 9:43 pm

I know…

Dec 16, 2009 9:51 pm

You just said you did more than that and it wasn’t enough. ???

Dec 16, 2009 11:04 pm

Well the payout isn’t 40% after office expenses, advertising, toilet paper, etc. Also, if I remember correctly the health insurance comes off of your net and that was about $500 a month. I live in the Chicago suburbs, my mortgage at the time was $2200.

Dec 16, 2009 11:05 pm

I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be one of these jerks that makes fun of people. Unfortunately, it seems, many people are on here to criticize others and try to prove how much they know.

But, I have to chime in on your schedule. No offense, but I couldn't help but laugh at the schedule. ROFLMAO!! you are indeed a funny peep. Based on your posts, I like you...not that you care.   but here we go:   -7:30 am- How many emails and phone messages can you have from the previous night when you left office at 8pm and 7:30 in the morning?? -dude, with all the coffee you drink, you are one jacked up broker!! - how do you eat in 10 minutes?? -seeing that the market doesn't start until 9:30am, what market are you checking at 8:50am? Do you trade overseas markets?? That's impressive for a newbie. - I'm glad to see you stop drinking coffee at 5pm. I'm sure your office staff is too, as well as the people you're calling. - and the best part,.....'check tomorrow's schedule'!!! ROFL!!!   god love ya. And I wish you the best. I hope you make it in this terribly difficult business. Heck, I'm trying to survive myself.
Dec 16, 2009 11:08 pm

So lets say $4,000 net.

4000 -   300 expenses -   500 insurance -   600 taxes   2600 isn't going to work and it took 26 months to get to that number  
Dec 16, 2009 11:21 pm

[quote=nonews]I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be one of these jerks that makes fun of people. Unfortunately, it seems, many people are on here to criticize others and try to prove how much they know.

But, I have to chime in on your schedule. No offense, but I couldn't help but laugh at the schedule. ROFLMAO!! you are indeed a funny peep. Based on your posts, I like you...not that you care.   but here we go:   -7:30 am- How many emails and phone messages can you have from the previous night when you left office at 8pm and 7:30 in the morning?? -dude, with all the coffee you drink, you are one jacked up broker!! - how do you eat in 10 minutes?? -seeing that the market doesn't start until 9:30am, what market are you checking at 8:50am? Do you trade overseas markets?? That's impressive for a newbie. - I'm glad to see you stop drinking coffee at 5pm. I'm sure your office staff is too, as well as the people you're calling. - and the best part,.....'check tomorrow's schedule'!!! ROFL!!!   god love ya. And I wish you the best. I hope you make it in this terribly difficult business. Heck, I'm trying to survive myself.[/quote]   Haha thanks. I definitely do not follow that schedule anymore, in fact I followed it for maybe a few days at max. I still haven't found a solid time-blocking schedule, but I'm working on it. I like the idea of 4 blocks of at least 50 calls each.   When I "check the markets," I'm actually just settling in for the day. Make coffee, delete all worthless emails (3-4), check pending wires, see what's cleared of my GTC orders of my good clients. Doesn't take more than a few minutes..   Coffee: I hate calling before I've had at least a few cups of coffee. I really do drink a TON of coffee. (It used to be Dr. Pepper but I've switched to coffee and went from 999 calories to 0.) I probably drink 7-8 cups per day. I bought a coffee warming plate which keeps my coffee hot and significantly cut down on amount I'd make each day.   I'm definitely not a body builder but I do lift every morning and I try to eat 6 meals a day and it only takes me a few minutes to eat a sandwich. I actually make an entire loaf of bread's worth of sandwiches at once which streamlines my "sandwich-making" process. I also drink enough out of a gallon of milk to where I can add the proper amount of protein powder and shake it up which streamlines a week's worth of protein powders. If you can't tell, I hate cooking and try to get a week's worth done in one fell swoop ;)   Checking tomorrow's schedule consists of seeing whether or not I have a morning appointment or some rookie regional event. Usually nothing but if I didn't check I absolutely wouldn't remember.   ~just an average guy~
Dec 16, 2009 11:46 pm
chief123:

Primo… with 40 contacts/day =400/week(not saturdays) how many accounts are you opening a month 8-12?

Actually that would be 200 contacts a week.  I don't remember the exact #, but I think it was 10-15 accounts a month towards the end of my first year.
Dec 16, 2009 11:47 pm
iceco1d:

[quote=Ron 14]Primo is absolutely correct. When I was at Jones consistency was my problem as well. My activities were hit and miss like yours. I would string together maybe 3 weeks making 100 dials a day and then frustration would set in and the next 2 months I would be at 30 or 40. The frustration built up and I wasn’t making any money. 27 months in I jumped ship to become a teller. My 4 month rolling average was 10k and I was meeting, but that isn’t good and it doesn’t pay the bills. [/quote]

Curious about this.  $10K @ 40% payout = $4,000/month.  There are plenty of people that don’t make $48,000 a year and do OK.  What part of the country were you in?

Granted, nobody is in this business to make $50K a year,  but how does it “not pay the bills?”

It’s a serious question.

Haha. Fifty K, minus taxes, is just enough to pay JR's college tuition. Nice, round number. The heck of it is, the more you make, the less you make. ( No Hope credit, either.)
Dec 17, 2009 1:07 am

173 calls
31 contacts
11 prospects created

0 sales
Dec 17, 2009 1:21 am

Good work my man !

Dec 17, 2009 1:31 am

GHGR-

I admire your enthusiam and courage to post your daily activity on this forum. As you already know you need to be more consistent with your prospecting activities. This is the time of year where you need to rededicate yourself and refocus. Start with a number of dials that you know you can do everyday and then raise the bar a little. Even if it is only 25 dials a day it is a starting point (25 dials won't keep you in the business however it is a start). Go to ebay and buy Nick Murray's book The Excellent Investment Advisor. Then read the chapter "The Art of Painless Prospecting". Also buy Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich (Original Edition). Read a chapter a day. When you finish the book repeat. When you finish the book again repeat. This book will help you be persistently consistent. Get up an hour earlier and read for that hour about sales/motivation/ect. You are at crossroads. You can either GetHardGetRaw or GetHardGoHome...the choice is yours. I wish you all the best in your decision.
Dec 17, 2009 2:12 am
Ron 14:

Well the payout isn’t 40% after office expenses, advertising, toilet paper, etc. Also, if I remember correctly the health insurance comes off of your net and that was about $500 a month. I live in the Chicago suburbs, my mortgage at the time was $2200.

I bet you live near me...
Dec 17, 2009 2:15 am

[quote=nonews]I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be one of these jerks that makes fun of people. Unfortunately, it seems, many people are on here to criticize others and try to prove how much they know.

But, I have to chime in on your schedule. No offense, but I couldn't help but laugh at the schedule. ROFLMAO!! you are indeed a funny peep. Based on your posts, I like you...not that you care.   but here we go:   -7:30 am- How many emails and phone messages can you have from the previous night when you left office at 8pm and 7:30 in the morning?? -dude, with all the coffee you drink, you are one jacked up broker!! - how do you eat in 10 minutes?? -seeing that the market doesn't start until 9:30am, what market are you checking at 8:50am? Do you trade overseas markets?? That's impressive for a newbie. - I'm glad to see you stop drinking coffee at 5pm. I'm sure your office staff is too, as well as the people you're calling. - and the best part,.....'check tomorrow's schedule'!!! ROFL!!!   god love ya. And I wish you the best. I hope you make it in this terribly difficult business. Heck, I'm trying to survive myself.[/quote]   Damn you are dumb... maybe he doesn't live on the east coast(central time dummy). What is wrong with checking the scheduel tomorrow, and making sure everything is set to go on the desk...   It is good to know that you will help keep that failure rate up..
Dec 17, 2009 2:17 am
Primo:

[quote=chief123]Primo… with 40 contacts/day =400/week(not saturdays) how many accounts are you opening a month 8-12?

Actually that would be 200 contacts a week.  I don't remember the exact #, but I think it was 10-15 accounts a month towards the end of my first year.[/quote]   Yeah my math was bad on that one.... Can I come watch you work for a day? Seriously..
Dec 17, 2009 3:00 am
chief123:

[quote=Primo][quote=chief123]Primo… with 40 contacts/day =400/week(not saturdays) how many accounts are you opening a month 8-12?

Actually that would be 200 contacts a week.  I don't remember the exact #, but I think it was 10-15 accounts a month towards the end of my first year.[/quote]   Yeah my math was bad on that one.... Can I come watch you work for a day? Seriously..[/quote]   Wouldn't do you any good, as I'm not doing what you are doing.  I saw a trainee once that did it the right way.  First, he hated cold calling.  Even though he hated CC, at 8 every morning his phone line was lit up.  I swear he had an alarm in his office.  He would then call for 50 mins, short break, call for 50 mins.... you get the point.  He never set an appt in the morning.  He came in and called until he got 40 contacts.  When he got his 40 contacts, he did what he wanted.  Interweb, golf, nap, whatever.  Point is he did what had to be done that day.  I am not trying to come across as some cold calling guru, I'm not.  This guy was far better at it and far more disciplined than I was.  You don't have to be a guru either.  You just have to make the calls.
Dec 17, 2009 3:15 am
gethardgetraw:

When I “check the markets,” I’m actually just settling in for the day. Make coffee, delete all worthless emails (3-4), check pending wires, see what’s cleared of my GTC orders of my good clients. Doesn’t take more than a few minutes.

How long have you been working?  For some reason I thought that you had posted your schedule and results when you first started and I haven't seen any sales for you to have pending wires or orders for.  Obviously you must have been working before you started this thread but I'm just curious. 
Dec 17, 2009 3:59 am

What do you guys call with - product or service? What is your script?