EDJ Points System

181 replies [Last post]
Hey Kool-Aid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-30

I believe Spiff was using the "ice cream" example as just that...an example of a reward for a job well done.  I, on the other hand, also used an example  i.e. banging the nanny...both valid forms of reward, albeit one more fun/rewarding than the other (that would be the Nanny Spiffy )!  Yes, it was corny to pull one from the Jones playbook, however, whatever way an FA wants to reward himself is all that matters...be it hookers or Ice Cream...or my personal favorite...Ice Cream on Hookers!   Anyway, although the Kool-aid & windy's load, run rampant thru Spiffy's system (sorry, couldn't resist)...he seems to be a straight up guy looking to help the rookies on this site, and therefore should be given a pass here!  Just my .02 

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

foot (I refuse to use your new name) and volt -
 
That is exactly why a lot of new FAs use that kind of reward.  How many times could you take it as a dad to go home and tell your 8 year old girl that you can't take her out to ice cream tonight because you didn't work hard enough this week.  Once?  Twice, tops. 
 

You have to set that goal up specific to your activities at work.  You only get to go do that thing IF daddy or mommy does what they are supposed to at work.  Your family becomes your accountability group.  I had one vet that said he implemented something like that at his house.  He put up a chore sheet on the fridge for himself and the kids.  Johnny has to clean his room and feed the dog.  Suzy has to help with dishes and vacuum the living room.  Daddy has to make 25 contacts today.  If everyone gets a gold star for the week for doing what they're supposed to, the family gets a treat.  You're teaching your kids that it is important to work hard in order to enjoy the fruits of your labor and that at times there are consequences for not doing the work. 
 
foot - the fact that you kept taking your kids to Baskin Robbins when your reserves were dwindling teaches your kids NOTHING about how to properly handle money.  If my reserves start dwindling, I tell my kids no, we can't go to the movies or get ice cream.  I teach them that sometimes in life you have to make sacrifices.  I teach them that most of the time they get what they want and I work hard to make sure that the times that they don't are few and far between.  Those life lessons will be more valuable to them than 100 trips to Baskin Robbins, whether they love it or not.  
 
And exactly how did my comment about hearing GPs talking about their reward systems become defending the firm?  You're way off base with that one.  

Hey Kool-Aid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-30

Spaceman Spiff wrote:foot (I refuse to use your new name) and volt -
 
That is exactly why a lot of new FAs use that kind of reward.  How many times could you take it as a dad to go home and tell your 8 year old girl that you can't take her out to ice cream tonight because you didn't work hard enough this week.  Once?  Twice, tops. 
 

You have to set that goal up specific to your activities at work.  You only get to go do that thing IF daddy or mommy does what they are supposed to at work.  Your family becomes your accountability group.  I had one vet that said he implemented something like that at his house.  He put up a chore sheet on the fridge for himself and the kids.  Johnny has to clean his room and feed the dog.  Suzy has to help with dishes and vacuum the living room.  Daddy has to make 25 contacts today.  If everyone gets a gold star for the week for doing what they're supposed to, the family gets a treat.  You're teaching your kids that it is important to work hard in order to enjoy the fruits of your labor and that at times there are consequences for not doing the work. 
 
foot - the fact that you kept taking your kids to Baskin Robbins when your reserves were dwindling teaches your kids NOTHING about how to properly handle money.  If my reserves start dwindling, I tell my kids no, we can't go to the movies or get ice cream.  I teach them that sometimes in life you have to make sacrifices.  I teach them that most of the time they get what they want and I work hard to make sure that the times that they don't are few and far between.  Those life lessons will be more valuable to them than 100 trips to Baskin Robbins, whether they love it or not.  
 
And exactly how did my comment about hearing GPs talking about their reward systems become defending the firm?  You're way off base with that one.  
 
Very true and well said!  But please let's not get into a debate on Child rearing (No windy that doesn't mean what you think it does )...I don't want to get into a pissing match as to why we are talking about rearing your child!!!!
 
 

B24's picture
B24
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08

Hey Kool-Aid wrote: 
Very true and well said!  But please let's not get into a debate on Child rearing (No windy that doesn't mean what you think it does )...I don't want to get into a pissing match as to why we are talking about rearing your child!!!!
 
 
Oh Christ, I almost just pissed myself!  That was nasty, but boy it was funny.

gethardgetraw's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-22

If I've done well by the end of the week I allow myself a 10 minute break to watch Uptick Live.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Spaceman Spiff wrote:foot (I refuse to use your new name) and volt -
 
That is exactly why a lot of new FAs use that kind of reward.  How many times could you take it as a dad to go home and tell your 8 year old girl that you can't take her out to ice cream tonight because you didn't work hard enough this week.  Once?  Twice, tops. 
 

You have to set that goal up specific to your activities at work.  You only get to go do that thing IF daddy or mommy does what they are supposed to at work.  Your family becomes your accountability group.  I had one vet that said he implemented something like that at his house.  He put up a chore sheet on the fridge for himself and the kids.  Johnny has to clean his room and feed the dog.  Suzy has to help with dishes and vacuum the living room.  Daddy has to make 25 contacts today.  If everyone gets a gold star for the week for doing what they're supposed to, the family gets a treat.  You're teaching your kids that it is important to work hard in order to enjoy the fruits of your labor and that at times there are consequences for not doing the work. 
 
foot - the fact that you kept taking your kids to Baskin Robbins when your reserves were dwindling teaches your kids NOTHING about how to properly handle money.  If my reserves start dwindling, I tell my kids no, we can't go to the movies or get ice cream.  I teach them that sometimes in life you have to make sacrifices.  I teach them that most of the time they get what they want and I work hard to make sure that the times that they don't are few and far between.  Those life lessons will be more valuable to them than 100 trips to Baskin Robbins, whether they love it or not.  
 
And exactly how did my comment about hearing GPs talking about their reward systems become defending the firm?  You're way off base with that one.   That's fair.  In the end to each their own.  If ice cream is someones driver, so be it.  If it's MsBroker calling you daddy, even better.

BigCheese's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

I just asked my wife if I could put ice cream on her and if she would dress up as a nanny.

She told me the only reward I need was to payoff her Lexus...
 
Spiffy...
 
Thanks for the lessson on how to teach my kids how to handle money. I don't think I could have done it without your wisdom. Do you have any more pearls?
 
My only point, perhaps unclear to you, was I didn't need a firm (or its management) to advise me how to deal with my family during the tough years. I figured that out without the brillance of Cahill and Fess et. al. Just as Ron alluded to, when you spew the company BS, we feel the need to call you on it.

BigCheese's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

foot (I refuse to use your new name)
 
Spiff-
 
From now I on you are dubbed WANNABE GP. I feel so empowered now.........

noggin's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-30

So this discussion of the EDJ points system morphs into a discussion of child rearing....Wow.... 
The value of this forum is the exchange of ideas...some are good and some are bad but this endless backbiting does not profit anyone.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

BigCheese wrote:
I just asked my wife if I could put ice cream on her and if she would dress up as a nanny.

She told me the only reward I need was to payoff her Lexus...
 
Spiffy...
 
Thanks for the lessson on how to teach my kids how to handle money. I don't think I could have done it without your wisdom. Do you have any more pearls?
 
My only point, perhaps unclear to you, was I didn't need a firm (or its management) to advise me how to deal with my family during the tough years. I figured that out without the brillance of Cahill and Fess et. al. Just as Ron alluded to, when you spew the company BS, we feel the need to call you on it.
 
I understood that you felt EDJ was trying to advise you how to deal with your family during tough times.  My take on the brilliance of Cahill, Fess, et al would be that they weren't giving you advice on how to deal with your family.  Instead they were giving you suggestions on how to run your business.  They were simply passing on what they did when they were in your shoes.  
 
How about you answer my question about when that turned into company BS? 
 
As to my pearls of wisdom on handling money...pearls before swine, I'm afraid.   
 
 

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

noggin wrote:So this discussion of the EDJ points system morphs into a discussion of child rearing....Wow.... 
The value of this forum is the exchange of ideas...some are good and some are bad but this endless backbiting does not profit anyone.
 
Sad isn't it. 

BigCheese's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

Nogs-
 
He was trying to make a point. Wannabe GP aka Spiff isn't a sage old wise man in this industry yet. But he has stayed at a Marriott, so he can impart his official Jones wisdom whenever he types. It's empowering....and nauseating. You are right about the endless backbiting. It doesn't help anyone. I for one am going to take a little breather waiting for the day when we use the forum to learn. At least Volt is attempting that, and hopefully I added a little of MY experience to help balance the discussion.
 
It would be really cool if Wannabe GP aka Spiff could impart some of his own brillance, you know, his own real life experience, in the trenches kind of experience, to the discussion.
 
The eery sounds of silence reverberate when you have nothing of substance to add, just more company standard lines. Because that's all he knows...

gethardgetraw's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-22

And sometimes if I'm feelin a lil crazy I reward myself with a New FA Meeting video heh heh e

Hey Kool-Aid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-30

BigCheese wrote:Nogs-
 
He was trying to make a point. Wannabe GP aka Spiff isn't a sage old wise man in this industry yet. But he has stayed at a Marriott, so he can impart his official Jones wisdom whenever he types. It's empowering....and nauseating. You are right about the endless backbiting. It doesn't help anyone. I for one am going to take a little breather waiting for the day when we use the forum to learn. At least Volt is attempting that, and hopefully I added a little of MY experience to help balance the discussion.  PROMISES OF BREATHER FROM BACKBITING!
 
It would be really cool if Wannabe GP aka Spiff could impart some of his own brillance, you know, his own real life experience, in the trenches kind of experience, to the discussion.
 
The eery sounds of silence reverberate when you have nothing of substance to add, just more company standard lines. Because that's all he knows...   MORE BACKBITING!!!!!  HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....BROKEN PROMISES....SO SOON!

BigCheese's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

Wannabe GP aka Spiff is your role model. How long before you are in the red? Maybe you should go reward yourself.
 
 

Hey Kool-Aid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-30

BigCheese wrote:Wannabe GP aka Spiff is your role model. How long before you are in the red? Maybe you should go reward yourself.
 
 
 
If you read this forum you will see that I disagree with Spiff often enough and say so, however, I respect the fact that he posts here to help Advisors, with Jones or otherwise and when he debates others, he doesn't do so by calling them names and taking out measuring tapes (or in your case, a thimble) to compare the size of his manhood! 
 
Nearly every post you make on here is to call him out or try to get his goat.  On the off time that you actually make a normal post you seem to have quite a bit of experience and alot to add to this forum.  So why not cut the shti and do just that!
 
 
 
 
 

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Hey Kool-Aid wrote:BigCheese wrote:Wannabe GP aka Spiff is your role model. How long before you are in the red? Maybe you should go reward yourself.
 
 
 
If you read this forum you will see that I disagree with Spiff often enough and say so, however, I respect the fact that he posts here to help Advisors, with Jones or otherwise and when he debates others, he doesn't do so by calling them names and taking out measuring tapes (or in your case, a thimble) to compare the size of his manhood! 
 
Nearly every post you make on here is to call him out or try to get his goat.  On the off time that you actually make a normal post you seem to have quite a bit of experience and alot to add to this forum.  So why not cut the shti and do just that!
 
 
 
 
 
 
well played

BigCheese's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

Why shouldn't he be called out. I think Ron14 called him, I just seconded it. I grant you I try to be the contrarian when it comes to his BS. Tell you what, I will stop if you remind him from time to time to test it  in the trenches first.
 
That's what I have done for 17 years. I have industry experience as an FA who started with nothing and made it. I walk the talk. Not someone else's coat tails. Did you happen to read earlier in the thread about money dues...did that shed a little light for you regarding my experience.
 
FYI. When I was at Jones I was the guy the RL had work with the guys on their way out. Red to the core, I saved more than I lost. Why...because I helped the guys who were willing to work hard and smart. The point system that Volt is implementing helps, but to its core, its about activity. While I think that is important, what is key is not losing sight of what's really important. i.e., is attaining 100 pts a week as important as finding 1M of new money everyday? You see, if you can't speak the language and enable prospects to tell you what you need to know as quickly as possible, collecting all the points is meaningless.
 
BUT, if you learn how to ask effective open ended questions, become comfortable asking the tough questions, and have a point system...now in my humble opinion, you are becoming the professional you aspire to be.
 
Then you can reward your family beyond your wildest imagination. See the distinction?

Hey Kool-Aid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-30

BigCheese wrote:Why shouldn't he be called out. I think Ron14 called him, I just seconded it. I grant you I try to be the contrarian when it comes to his BS. Tell you what, I will stop if you remind him from time to time to test it  in the trenches first.
 
That's what I have done for 17 years. I have industry experience as an FA who started with nothing and made it. I walk the talk. Not someone else's coat tails. Did you happen to read earlier in the thread about money dues...did that shed a little light for you regarding my experience.
 
FYI. When I was at Jones I was the guy the RL had work with the guys on their way out. Red to the core, I saved more than I lost. Why...because I helped the guys who were willing to work hard and smart. The point system that Volt is implementing helps, but to its core, its about activity. While I think that is important, what is key is not losing sight of what's really important. i.e., is attaining 100 pts a week as important as finding 1M of new money everyday? You see, if you can't speak the language and enable prospects to tell you what you need to know as quickly as possible, collecting all the points is meaningless.
 
BUT, if you learn how to ask effective open ended questions, become comfortable asking the tough questions, and have a point system...now in my humble opinion, you are becoming the professional you aspire to be.
 
Then you can reward your family beyond your wildest imagination. See the distinction?
 
 
Now that's what i'm talkin about!   I couldn't agree with you more...I don't have the experience you do in this industry, however, in life and in the business world I do.  My feeling is what it all comes down to, in every form of sales, is attitude, personality and sweat equity...nothing else really means a thing. 
 
BTW...I wasn't doubting your knowledge or experience....quite the opposite as a matter of fact.   I have seen some of your "on point" posts and found them smart and usefull...of course I have to wade through a huge pile of sh*t  for most of them when you are disparaging a hard working guy who obviously has the best interest of the newbies in particular, whether or not you like or agree with his methods.  I would much rather see lots of posts like this last one....
 
 
 

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Can you link me to the money dues post you are talking about, Cheese?

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

mlgone wrote:spiff and Ronnie are tools. I told you that long ago. Volt is approaching that territorylol .. can you please give me your other screennames on here as well?  It will help me keep track of all the losers on my nutz.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

mlgone wrote:spiff and Ronnie are tools. I told you that long ago. Volt is approaching that territory
 
 I have to agree. Sometimes volt I am with you, other times you are right there with Windy, usually behind him.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

I'll never cheat on you Ron... except maybe with B24.

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

voltmoie wrote:I'll never cheat on you Ron... except maybe with B24.
 
You're an idiot

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Mr.Blonde wrote:voltmoie wrote:I'll never cheat on you Ron... except maybe with B24.
 
You're an idiotKeep hiding behind another name .. weak .. I own you.  You created a fake name to stalk me.  OWNED BYTCH

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

voltmoie wrote: Mr.Blonde wrote:voltmoie wrote:I'll never cheat on you Ron... except maybe with B24.
 
You're an idiotKeep hiding behind another name .. weak .. I own you.  You created a fake name to stalk me.  OWNED BYTCH
 
Like I said, you're an idiot

B24's picture
B24
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08

voltmoie wrote:I'll never cheat on you Ron... except maybe with B24.

 

MsBroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-02

So now we have the maturity equivalent of twelve year old boys. Awesome, especially from a forum for professionals.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

MsBroker wrote: So now we have the maturity equivalent of twelve year old boys. Awesome, especially from a forum for professionals.

Acting like twelve-year olds is different from....

MsBroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-02

mlgone wrote: for all I know your a guy?

And how exactly is that relevant?

MsBroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-02

Moraen wrote: MsBroker wrote: So now we have the maturity equivalent of twelve year old boys. Awesome, especially from a forum for professionals.

Acting like twelve-year olds is different from....

Sorry, you lost me ??

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Ms Broker, with all do respect, we have been acting like twelve year olds from the beginning.

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

mlgone wrote:because ur obviously trying to make a gender play here by calling yourself Ms anything.    How many names do you see with Mr? (Besides Sunshine which is a joke) First to complain about treatment in the workplace. First to use it. Nice. Welcome to the USA

I'm a Mr.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

mlgone wrote:because ur obviously trying to make a gender play here by calling yourself Ms anything.   

How many names do you see with Mr? (Besides Sunshine which is a joke)

First to complain about treatment in the workplace. First to use it. Nice. Welcome to the USAManLadyGone ILoveTheGayWAYYOUWRITELIKEACOUNTRYRETARD

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

mlgone wrote:LEARNED

IT

FROM

UR

DAD

GAYBOYYOURFATMOMTAUGHTITTOOHIMBETWEENHERCRACKHITS...come strong bytch, those canned corny azz gay jokes don't bring the heat

THE BUBBLE GROWS's picture
Joined: 2009-11-16

I'm new here, but I have noticed this mlgone guy talks a lot about being gay. I think he's got some issues

MsBroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-02

THE BUBBLE GROWS wrote: I'm new here, but I have noticed this mlgone guy talks a lot about being gay. I think he's got some issues

I second that

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

lol .. what a toolDon't talk trash about the real world fat boy.  I hope you stalk me.  I love morons that dedicate their time to following my posts.  I've already got at least three. Should I send you the sign up sheet.ORYOUWANTTOPOSTBROKENSTATEMENTSBECAUSE MONKEY BOYCAN FORM A COMPLETE THOUGHT

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

voltmoie wrote: mlgone wrote:LEARNED IT FROM UR DAD GAYBOYYOURFATMOMTAUGHTITTOOHIMBETWEENHERCRACKHITS...come strong bytch, those canned corny azz gay jokes don't bring the heat

Don't tell me you're an uneducated vacuum salesman?

THE BUBBLE GROWS's picture
Joined: 2009-11-16

Not only does he have gay issues , but anger as well. That comment about his gay talk really set him off. I think it's time he told his friends and family and came out of the closet. It must be rough living with it all bottled up

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

mlgone wrote: voltmoie wrote: lol .. what a tool

great response dumbnutzgreat response dumbnutz

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Mr.Blonde .. tell us how it felt to be fired from Jones before you made it to week 17?  Was that a good feeling?  Did your wife rape you that night?

MsBroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-02

mlgone wrote: ms broker with meletio.........interesting

What is this supposed to mean? Are you attempting to imply that I am meletio? If so, you may want to do a little research, maybe look at some of my previous posts.

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

voltmoie wrote:Mr.Blonde .. tell us how it felt to be fired from Jones before you made it to week 17?  Was that a good feeling?  Did your wife rape you that night?

Fired from Jones? Um, not quite, though I do appreciate all the training from my time there.
 
Tell us Volt, how does it fell to be mistaken for a JW everyday, while trying to scrounge together a pitiful excuse for a living.
 
 

fa09's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-03

1. Point system looks good volt.
2. Judging by how unmotivated you were to keep up with your 30 day war you won't keep up with it anyway but a good system no less.
3. All of the gay jokes are lame. I think this thread has served its purpose. Let it die already or are we turning Volt into the late Ronnie Dobbins because we need a new Jones guy to bash?

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

It's a tough life to have 100k in the bank from my buy at package at my last company.  A TOUGH LIFE!Blonde, I know who you are .. you know that.  Should I post your broker check report?

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

voltmoie wrote:It's a tough life to have 100k in the bank from my buy at package at my last company.  A TOUGH LIFE!Blonde, I know who you are .. you know that.  Should I post your broker check report?

100K wow, that must make you your biggest client.
 
Please post my broker check you idiot, I'm from Canada

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

fa09 wrote:1. Point system looks good volt.
2. Judging by how unmotivated you were to keep up with your 30 day war you won't keep up with it anyway but a good system no less.
3. All of the gay jokes are lame. I think this thread has served its purpose. Let it die already or are we turning Volt into the late Ronnie Dobbins because we need a new Jones guy to bash?The 30 day war worked well for me actually.  I just didn't post on it very much.  Was #1 producer out of the 100 at PDP because of it, I think.I like the attention, so please keep it coming.  Only on here to entertainment and to learn a thing or two.  Guys like Blonde and MLGone have never added a thing so they are entertainment.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Mr.Blonde wrote:voltmoie wrote:It's a tough life to have 100k in the bank from my buy at package at my last company.  A TOUGH LIFE!Blonde, I know who you are .. you know that.  Should I post your broker check report?

100K wow, that must make you your biggest client.
 
Please post my broker check you idiot, I'm from CanadaLiarYou didn't spontaneously appear to stalk me.  I know who you are.  You know it.

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

Well, I know who you are!

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×