Skip navigation

The 500 day war (for rookies)

or Register to post new content in the forum

182 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Jan 28, 2009 10:41 pm

[quote=B24]

Well, maybe it would have been if I had discovered it earlier on in my business.  The bottom line of the War is that it's all about the numbers.  Not to say that quality doesn't matter, but you can't get 100 clients if you have only talked to 30.  Talk to 1000, and you'll get 100. 

What I have found is that the simple (yet so elusive) act of talking and meeting a lot of people just results in business.  Activity breeds results.

One caveat to the 500 Day War (for me).  I simply cannot open acounts over the phone with people I have never met.  It doesn't match my personality, and it doesn't match how I do business.  So some of the specifics of the War need to be modified for individual circumstances.  But the premise behind the whole thing is activity, and lots of it (prospecting activity, not research and portfolio reviews, etc.)[/quote]   Seems to be a common thread in sales. Activity breeds results. One thing that has been concerning me (as almost everyone else in this forum) is the current state of our economy. Honestly speaking, all things being equal, is this a good (and by good I mean smart) time to get into this business? I have 4 more days to change my mind. Everyday I see a new piece of news that causes concern over my decision. What is your honest opinion?  
Jan 28, 2009 10:56 pm

[quote=maddmatt][quote=B24]

Well, maybe it would have been if I had discovered it earlier on in my business.  The bottom line of the War is that it's all about the numbers.  Not to say that quality doesn't matter, but you can't get 100 clients if you have only talked to 30.  Talk to 1000, and you'll get 100. 

What I have found is that the simple (yet so elusive) act of talking and meeting a lot of people just results in business.  Activity breeds results.

One caveat to the 500 Day War (for me).  I simply cannot open acounts over the phone with people I have never met.  It doesn't match my personality, and it doesn't match how I do business.  So some of the specifics of the War need to be modified for individual circumstances.  But the premise behind the whole thing is activity, and lots of it (prospecting activity, not research and portfolio reviews, etc.)[/quote]   Seems to be a common thread in sales. Activity breeds results. One thing that has been concerning me (as almost everyone else in this forum) is the current state of our economy. Honestly speaking, all things being equal, is this a good (and by good I mean smart) time to get into this business? I have 4 more days to change my mind. Everyday I see a new piece of news that causes concern over my decision. What is your honest opinion?  [/quote]

Change your mind about what?
Jan 28, 2009 11:53 pm

[quote=Hank Moody] [quote=maddmatt][quote=B24]

One caveat to the 500 Day War (for me).  I simply cannot open acounts over the phone with people I have never met.  It doesn't match my personality, and it doesn't match how I do business.  So some of the specifics of the War need to be modified for individual circumstances.  But the premise behind the whole thing is activity, and lots of it (prospecting activity, not research and portfolio reviews, etc.)[/quote]   Seems to be a common thread in sales. Activity breeds results. One thing that has been concerning me (as almost everyone else in this forum) is the current state of our economy. Honestly speaking, all things being equal, is this a good (and by good I mean smart) time to get into this business? I have 4 more days to change my mind. Everyday I see a new piece of news that causes concern over my decision. What is your honest opinion?  [/quote]

[/quote]   Hank,
I will indulge you even though your history in this forum is that of the resident wise ass. With that being said, I am scheduled to begin training with Edward Jones Feb.2nd. While I have been committed to this mentally for 4 months now, the news lately has not been good. Observing the intense negativity in this forum and elsewhere would lead a prudent person to question whether this is a good (smart) time to become a financial advisor. I will be spending the next four days searching my soul to make sure this is what I really want to do. Otherwise, why bother, right? You might say I'm getting cold feet.
Jan 29, 2009 12:11 am

[quote=maddmatt][quote=Hank Moody] [quote=maddmatt][quote=B24]

[/quote]   Hank,
I will indulge you even though your history in this forum is that of the resident wise ass. With that being said, I am scheduled to begin training with Edward Jones Feb.2nd. While I have been committed to this mentally for 4 months now, the news lately has not been good. Observing the intense negativity in this forum and elsewhere would lead a prudent person to question whether this is a good (smart) time to become a financial advisor. I will be spending the next four days searching my soul to make sure this is what I really want to do. Otherwise, why bother, right? You might say I'm getting cold feet.[/quote]

Don't flatter yourself by indulging me.
Jan 29, 2009 1:44 am

[quote=Hank Moody] [quote=maddmatt][quote=Hank Moody] [quote=maddmatt][quote=B24]

[/quote]   Hank,
I will indulge you even though your history in this forum is that of the resident wise ass. With that being said, I am scheduled to begin training with Edward Jones Feb.2nd. While I have been committed to this mentally for 4 months now, the news lately has not been good. Observing the intense negativity in this forum and elsewhere would lead a prudent person to question whether this is a good (smart) time to become a financial advisor. I will be spending the next four days searching my soul to make sure this is what I really want to do. Otherwise, why bother, right? You might say I'm getting cold feet.[/quote]

Don't flatter yourself by indulging me.
[/quote]   As usual, your valuable insight is only surpassed by your charm. Pretend I'm worth it and give me some sage advice.
Jan 29, 2009 1:46 am

He doesn’t have any advice, sage or otherwise to give. 

Jan 29, 2009 1:54 am

My advice is:  Don’t do it.  You don’t have the balls.  You’re like a non-committal prospect: No time is going to be the right time to pull the trigger.  I’m not trying to be an asshole, but this is my gut talking.  My guess is Hank would agree with me.

I'd say get a job at the USPS, but they're cutting back too.  Good luck to you.
Jan 29, 2009 4:56 am

[quote=deekay]My advice is:  Don’t do it.  You don’t have the balls.  You’re like a non-committal prospect: No time is going to be the right time to pull the trigger.  I’m not trying to be an asshole, but this is my gut talking.  My guess is Hank would agree with me.

I'd say get a job at the USPS, but they're cutting back too.  Good luck to you.[/quote]

Yes.
Jan 29, 2009 2:15 pm

correct. I was in your shoes a few years ago, but i had a dozen years of sales exp already. Therefore I knew that there is ALWAYS excuses for NOT doing the numbers and that it was gonna suck for 3 years in the BEST economy cuz heavy-duty grunt work cold calling with a barking dog in your crotch as it starts to rain and you’re behind for the week is a bitch.

I did it.
Jan 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Just to be clear: you have no chance (based on your post). EVERYONE FEELS LIKE QUITTING sometime in that first 3 years - and you’ll be the first to go.

Jan 29, 2009 2:43 pm
newnew:

Just to be clear: you have no chance (based on your post). EVERYONE FEELS LIKE QUITTING sometime in that first 3 years - and you’ll be the first to go.

I appreciate the honesty. I'm more motivated now than I was 4 months ago.
Jan 29, 2009 2:48 pm
maddmatt:

[quote=newnew]Just to be clear: you have no chance (based on your post). EVERYONE FEELS LIKE QUITTING sometime in that first 3 years - and you’ll be the first to go.

I appreciate the honesty. I'm more motivated now than I was 4 months ago.[/quote]

You've had an uptick in motivation and still having doubts?
Jan 29, 2009 2:57 pm
Hank Moody:

[quote=maddmatt][quote=newnew]Just to be clear: you have no chance (based on your post). EVERYONE FEELS LIKE QUITTING sometime in that first 3 years - and you’ll be the first to go.

I appreciate the honesty. I'm more motivated now than I was 4 months ago.[/quote]

[/quote]   I was having doubts. I heard what I needed to hear. Let the games begin.
Jan 29, 2009 3:21 pm
maddmatt:

[quote=Hank Moody] [quote=maddmatt][quote=newnew]Just to be clear: you have no chance (based on your post). EVERYONE FEELS LIKE QUITTING sometime in that first 3 years - and you’ll be the first to go.

[/quote]   I was having doubts. I heard what I needed to hear. Let the games begin.[/quote]

What are you going to do if your computer crashes when you need to hear something?
Jan 29, 2009 3:26 pm

[quote=maddmatt][quote=B24]

If you are willing to make a 100% commitment this is a great time to get in the business.  Investors are hurting and many advisors are leaving the business out of frustration and disappointment.  Those clients are going to need help...there is money in motion and if you are in touch with a lot of new people every day(as you should be) you can catch some of that money.

Having said that, your post causes me to think you're not ready to make the commitment that is required to be successful in this business.
Jan 29, 2009 4:35 pm
Hank Moody:

[quote=maddmatt][quote=Hank Moody] [quote=maddmatt][quote=newnew]Just to be clear: you have no chance (based on your post). EVERYONE FEELS LIKE QUITTING sometime in that first 3 years - and you’ll be the first to go.

[/quote]   I was having doubts. I heard what I needed to hear. Let the games begin.[/quote]

What are you going to do if your computer crashes when you need to hear something?
[/quote]   This is one of many sources I utilize to make my decisions. Between these posts and my other support mechanisms I have been able to clear my head. So, thanks for your help.
Jan 29, 2009 4:40 pm

Good post Hyman.

Today, across this country trainees are entering our business who will go on to become top producers, multi-million dollar producers. Where some see road blocks and make excuses, others see opportunity and seize it with a I will not be denied tenacity.   There will never be an easy time to become a success. Today is as good as any day to take the first step. And if you should fail, it's not the market, the economy, the banks, the politicians, or the clients that caused the failure. It's you. It's that simple. It's what this business is all about.   How not to fail? Make up your mind that you're not going to fail. Then do everything it takes to succeed. Most likely everything it takes will take you far beyond your comfort level. That's a good thing. The knot in your stomach will lead you down the right path.   Without a 100% committment failure is all but assured. There is big, I mean really big money to be made here. Here's the problem, they don't just give it to you. You have to earn it. And earning it will be the hardest thing you've ever done-regardless of your backgorund. Those lacking a 100% committment quickly fold their tent when they realize that success comes only after pushing a rock uphill for 70 hours a week for years. That's what you're signing up for. Either you're all in or you're out in a heartbeat.
Jan 29, 2009 4:42 pm
maddmatt:

[quote=Hank Moody] [quote=maddmatt][quote=Hank Moody] [quote=maddmatt][quote=newnew]Just to be clear: you have no chance (based on your post). EVERYONE FEELS LIKE QUITTING sometime in that first 3 years - and you’ll be the first to go.

[/quote]   This is one of many sources I utilize to make my decisions. Between these posts and my other support mechanisms I have been able to clear my head. So, thanks for your help.[/quote]

I'm just jacking with you. Good luck.
Jan 29, 2009 6:27 pm

Hank was polite!!!

Jan 29, 2009 10:16 pm

Maybe he's drunk too.  It would certainly explain the nicey-nice.