The really scary stuff

75 replies [Last post]
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

I don't know if prior posters believe in his comments or follow him but to me Pat Robertson is a PYSCHO.  This stuff is scary
 

Haiti, the devil and Pat Robertson
By David Waters
Pat Robertson is at it again. The purported Christian minister who suggested assassinating Venezuela leader Hugo Chavez and nuking the U.S. State Department, the reputed follower of Jesus who blamed the 9/11 terrorist attacks and Hurricane Katrina on pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays and lesbians, is now attributing the Haitian earthquake to Haiti's "pact to the devil."
"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti and people might not want to talk about," Robertson said Tuesday on his 700 Club show. "They were under the heel of the French, you know Napoleon the third and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the prince.' True story. And so the devil said, 'Ok it's a deal.' And they kicked the French out. The Haitians revolted and got something themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after another."
One can only assume that Robertson is alluding to the fact that a majority of Haitians believe in and practice some forms of voodoo. Perhaps he's also referring to the fact that Roman Catholicism is the official religion of Haiti. It's also possible Robertson doesn't know what he's talking about.
Michael Lindsay, a Rice University sociologist and author of the book "Faith in the Halls of Power: How Evangelicals Joined the American Elite," suggests that Robertson does indeed know what he's talking about, and why: "Pat Robertson continues to distinguish himself as American evangelicalism's most flamboyant spokesperson. When tragedies strike, people naturally ask questions about why bad things happen to the innocent, and millions of Americans see the hand of God or the devil at work in natural calamities," Lindsay said. "But few religious leaders today draw the kinds of explicit connection as Pat Robertson has done with the Haitian earthquake. Robertson's comments reflect as much his rhetorical flourish and skill as a ratings booster as they do his theology."
Years ago I wrote a column saying that we should pay attention to the crazy things Robertson says because his thinking reflects the thinking of millions of fundamentalist Christians, many of whom support his multi-million-dollar "Christian" media empire and the political views he espouses. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe the time has come to stop paying attention to Pat Robertson. Surely the time has come for Robertson to stop making such shameful comments. Considering the massive death, destruction and misery in Haiti, it is shameful for anyone -- but especially a so-called minister of the gospel -- to suggest that God or the poor people of Haiti had anything to do with it.
Do you agree?

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Robertson is like the white stuff at the corners of your mouth.  He's an idiot.Although the suggestion to assassinate Chavez has merits.

JackBlack's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-26

I think Pat Robinson is off his medication.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

I agree.  The man is an idiot.  I have an uncle who listens to Pat Robertson.  He calls me every so often and frets about his accounts because Pat says the world is ending or a major catastrophe is going to happen.  The man is nothing short of a God-Pimp.  Unfortunately the folks like him are the most visible because of their TV programs.  However, the Bible is full of warnings against false teachers and false prophets. 
In my opinion the only thing the Haitians are guilty of is shoddy building codes, or lack thereof.     

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

One of your more intelligent posts.  I was scared you liked this guy............ I might even change my tagline now.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Moraen wrote:Robertson is like the white stuff at the corners of your mouth.  He's an idiot.Although the suggestion to assassinate Chavez has merits.
 
I think he is closer to the brown stuff at the corners of the opposite hole, or is that crossing the line ?
 
There are plenty of Christian Ministries in Haiti that are funded by groups in the states that have been making a difference for years in a land that is extremely dangerous and often times corrupt. I wonder if that clown thinks those people "deserved" this.
 
The most ridiculous part of this entire thing is when 3,000 people die on 9/11 and 3,000 people die on Katrina , American's were opening their wallets to help. 100k plus are probably dead from this and I am willing to bet the donations will be less. Makes me sick.

LockEDJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-06

Ron 14 wrote:
The most ridiculous part of this entire thing is when 3,000 people Americans die on 9/11 and 3,000 people Americans die on Katrina , American's were opening their wallets to help. 100k plus are probably dead from this and I am willing to bet the donations will be less. Makes me sick.
 
Fixed.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Are you f***ing kidding me ? So you were ripping Spiff for not wanting to embrace people who had a lifestyle he didn't agree with, but you think it is fair that American's are more likely to help a tragedy in their own country then one on a much larger scale elsewhere ?

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

Ron 14 wrote:
Are you f***ing kidding me ? So you were ripping Spiff for not wanting to embrace people who had a lifestyle he didn't agree with, but you think it is fair that American's are more likely to help a tragedy in their own country then one on a much larger scale elsewhere ?
 
Fair has nothing to do with it.  If we're attacked by terrorists and our soul has been ripped out like on 9/11 then of course we're going to rally around each other more than we would if an earthquake happened in another land.  The bottom line is we are at the end of a recession of epic proportions and the resources that many people would use for donations or help a few years ago just aren't available today. 

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Lock EDJ - "My belief comes from some simple truths - Love your neighbor as yourself"
 
Unless they aren't American's ?
 
3rd- Fair has plenty to do with it. 9/11 was in the middle of an economic downturn also. Yes, you have a point because we were attacked, but what about Katrina ? Should we not send any aid to Haiti because of the economic downturn. You mean people can't spare a few hundred bucks or even $5 ? I am looking out the bank window now, plenty of clowns in the Starbucks drive thru. $5 goes a long way in Haiti.

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

After just checking out these articles I think its safe to say that Americans, at least our government, is doing its best to do our part:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/13/spearheads-global-response-haiti-earthquake/
 
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/14/clinton-early-estimate-number-casualties-haiti/
 
We'll see what happens with the public donations, I guess.  Twitter and Facebook are evidently helping a lot as well:
 
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1953379_1953494_1953528,00.html

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

I am definitely referring to public donations.

LockEDJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-06

Ron 14 wrote:Are you f***ing kidding me ? So you were ripping Spiff for not wanting to embrace people who had a lifestyle he didn't agree with, but you think it is fair that American's are more likely to help a tragedy in their own country then one on a much larger scale elsewhere ?
 
Ripping? I bit overstated. I did disagree. And I'm not sure how you draw the comparison between one's perception of others, and the act of charitable giving.
 
Are you suggesting the scale of the devastation dictates where my charitable giving should go? How do I handle Rwanda? What about the Indonisian Tsunami?
 
I feel for Haitians. Their lives are no more valuable to the world - and no less - than the stock brokers on the 105th floor of the WTC. But giving starts at home, even while loving thy neighbor as thyself. At the end of the day, resources are limited.
 
 
 

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

mlgone wrote:One of your more intelligent posts.  I was scared you liked this guy............ I might even change my tagline now.
 
Don't change your tagline on account of me.  I chuckle every time I see it. 

LockEDJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-06

Ron 14 wrote:Lock EDJ - "My belief comes from some simple truths - Love your neighbor as yourself"
 
Unless they aren't American's ?... Should we not send any aid to Haiti because of the economic downturn. ...
 
Ron ... fair has nothing to do with anything. My comment was simply a response to your bombastic, antagonistic approach to Americans in saying we'd give more to other Americans than to foriegners. Meanwhile, we have the reputation of being the most generous nation on the face of the earth - not only as a nation, but as individuals.
 
You're dead wrong on this issue. Dead wrong.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

You changed my initial post. In doing so you made the inference that it makes sense for American's to give a higher dollar amount of charitable funds to an American tragedy than an international tragedy that is 30 times more devastating. If that makes sense to you then you need help. If we are to love our neighbor as yourself, which I also believe, then in my world I should give $1500 to the red cross for the Haiti disaster if I gave $500 to the red cross for Katrina.

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

Ron 14 wrote:I am definitely referring to public donations.
 
I think there's a big problem when a group of people (In this case, the American public) suddenly become expected to shell out dollars after a catastrophe in another country.  Donations, fundamentally are dollars/goods given to others out of the goodness of your heart.  I have a problem when suddenly I feel an obligation to give to all kinds of groups/causes and have a feeling of guilt if I don't.  One week its the firefighters standing at the stop lights w/their donation boots, the next week we have the food drive going through our office building, the next week its the Girl Scouts selling cookies, the next week its a co-worker raising money for a Walk-a-Thon, etc..  When I give to these causes I'd like to think that the person receiving them genuinely appreciates it rather than expects it. 
 
I'm not saying that giving to Haiti isn't a good cause.  I'm saying that if I don't give my $5 I don't want someone climbing my ass telling me to do my part because there are 50,000 other causes out there.  If Obama is giving $100 million to Haiti and $0 to the American Cancer Association, and I have a father that has died of cancer, then I'll give you one guess as to where my priorities lie.

LockEDJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-06

Ron 14 wrote:You changed my initial post. In doing so you made the inference that it makes sense for American's to give a higher dollar amount of charitable funds to an American tragedy than an international tragedy that is 30 times more devastating. If that makes sense to you then you need help. If we are to love our neighbor as yourself, which I also believe, then in my world I should give $1500 to the red cross for the Haiti disaster if I gave $500 to the red cross for Katrina.
 
Yes. Exactly.
And if that's the case, you believe as I questioned, that you should give based on the severity of the calamity. That because more people died somewhere, you see the need is greater. And hence, the value of their lives is greater. So it must be, if I have only $2000 to give I and chosen to give $1500 to the Haitians.
 
Don't make the mistake of suggesting your decision makes a value judgement of people's lives any more so or less so than mine. You are "loving" the Haitian more than the Nolan. Do you not see this?
 
And by the way, I could (easily) argue that Katrina devastated a far, far larger population than the tragedy in Haiti. Perhaps not to the same extent, but at the end of the day, Port au Prince was home to hundreds of thousands. The greater New Orleans area alone comprised millions.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

3rd- I have to admit, that is a solid argument.  I do believe the media has a huge influence on where funds are directed because the more coverage the more people feel their heart strings pulled. I guess my anger, as usual, is directed at the media. They covered Katrina like it was the end of the world and one week from now Haiti will be an afterthought, but you will definitely know the local 7 eleven was robbed.
 
Lock - How am I placing a value on one life over another ? I am donating the same as a ratio of lives lost. It is a hypothetical. I would say an event that killed 100,000 people would generate a greater need for assistance than an event that killed 3,000 people. Also, New Orleans is in the USA where systems are in place to help. Haiti is not a stable area and there is no chance to rebuild without help from elsewhere.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

LockEDJ wrote:Ron 14 wrote:You changed my initial post. In doing so you made the inference that it makes sense for American's to give a higher dollar amount of charitable funds to an American tragedy than an international tragedy that is 30 times more devastating. If that makes sense to you then you need help. If we are to love our neighbor as yourself, which I also believe, then in my world I should give $1500 to the red cross for the Haiti disaster if I gave $500 to the red cross for Katrina.
 
Yes. Exactly.
And if that's the case, you believe as I questioned, that you should give based on the severity of the calamity. That because more people died somewhere, you see the need is greater. And hence, the value of their lives is greater. So it must be, if I have only $2000 to give I and chosen to give $1500 to the Haitians.
 
Don't make the mistake of suggesting your decision makes a value judgement of people's lives any more so or less so than mine. You are "loving" the Haitian more than the Nolan. Do you not see this?
 
And by the way, I could (easily) argue that Katrina devastated a far, far larger population than the tragedy in Haiti. Perhaps not to the same extent, but at the end of the day, Port au Prince was home to hundreds of thousands. The greater New Orleans area alone comprised millions.
 
Please do !!! New Orleans Metro area as of 2000 Census was 1.3million. Port Au Prince metro area 1.7million.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

I think this argument is not needed.  Americans, as always, will lead the way in this tragedy.  With their wallets, with our soldiers, with our backs.It is the way of things.  People may call our country selfish, but we give more than any other nation.Update:  Speaking of - our Rotary club has already raised $100,000 since yesterday (mainly from members).  In addition, those who didn't give monetarily, gave clothes and food.  The firehouse in town is half full.  I'm sure we're not the only one.

LockEDJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-06

Ron 14 wrote:
Lock - How am I placing a value on one life over another ? I am donating the same as a ratio of lives lost. 
 
By definition when dealing with a limited resource, you must make a value decision. Even giving proportionately by way of the extent of the tragedy remains a value decision. I don't know how more plainly I can put it than that.
 
That said, this is my last post on the issue. I'll side with Morean's last post.
 
Perhaps I can find another juicy BAB to sell ...

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

LockEDJ wrote:Ron 14 wrote:
Lock - How am I placing a value on one life over another ? I am donating the same as a ratio of lives lost. 
 
By definition when dealing with a limited resource, you must make a value decision. Even giving proportionately by way of the extent of the tragedy remains a value decision. I don't know how more plainly I can put it than that.
 
That said, this is my last post on the issue. I'll side with Morean's last post.
 
Perhaps I can find another juicy BAB to sell ...
 
This is true. That's why I give all my money to the girls over at the local Gentelman's club. I feel really, REALLY bad for them.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Let me get this straight:The Obama administration continues to bash the Bush administration for Katrina, yet is reaching out to George W. Bush to go to Haiti?!?! WTF?!

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Him speak with forked tongue. - You have to read this in your best Tonto voice. 
 
Maybe he's hoping that GW gets down there and they have another aftershock that kills some more people.   That way he can blame Haiti on GW too.   
 
We didn't even talk about Haiti in my Rotary today.  I was kind of suprised.  Didn't even get an email encouraging to give to the foundation for help. 

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Him speak with forked tongue. - You have to read this in your best Tonto voice. 
 
Maybe he's hoping that GW gets down there and they have another aftershock that kills some more people.   That way he can blame Haiti on GW too.   
 
We didn't even talk about Haiti in my Rotary today.  I was kind of suprised.  Didn't even get an email encouraging to give to the foundation for help.  That's a little shocking.  But then again, one of the focuses of our particular Rotary group is Haitian education.LOL - They probably will find a way to blame this on W.  The guy spends all kinds of money on Katrina trying to give the locals work, but they want the National Guard to do everything for them.  If I were him, I'd give Obama a big finger and say, "I'm done with this sh!t.  You deal with it!".

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

"The president believed that the partnership that President George W. Bush created between his dad and former President Clinton was obviously a highly effective way of ensuring that after this phase of the operation ... obviously there is still going to be a tremendous need, and there will probably be a tremendous need for many, many months to come -- that that's the best vehicle and the most effective vehicle for setting that up," Gibbs said.
 
"President Obama will keep the broken promises to rebuild New Orleans and the Gulf Coast," the White House Web site says to this day in a brief section on Katrina. 
 
Politicians, including the current administration and f***ing a$$holes.  Robert Gibbs is just as much of a clown as the people that he's speaking on behalf of. 
 

Milyunair's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-25

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Him speak with forked tongue. - You have to read this in your best Tonto voice. 
 
Maybe he's hoping that GW gets down there and they have another aftershock that kills some more people.   That way he can blame Haiti on GW too.   
 
We didn't even talk about Haiti in my Rotary today.  I was kind of suprised.  Didn't even get an email encouraging to give to the foundation for help. 
 
I was kind of hoping that U.S. government aid to Haiti this week would increase the ROI on my paid  2009 estimated taxes.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

LockEDJ wrote:Ron 14 wrote:
The most ridiculous part of this entire thing is when 3,000 people Americans die on 9/11 and 3,000 people Americans die on Katrina , American's were opening their wallets to help. 100k plus are probably dead from this and I am willing to bet the donations will be less. Makes me sick.
 
Fixed.
 
By replacing people with Americans you are placing the value of an American above those from other countries. There would be no other reason for your reply in that way. I don't know how I can explain your own words to you any better. Your "fixed" statement says it is more important for American's to send aid after a tragedy that killed 3,000 Americans than to send aid after a tragedy that killed 100,000 Haitian's. I am still waiting for your argument regarding Katrina devastating more people than this earthquake.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Him speak with forked tongue. - You have to read this in your best Tonto voice. 
 
Maybe he's hoping that GW gets down there and they have another aftershock that kills some more people.   That way he can blame Haiti on GW too.   
 
We didn't even talk about Haiti in my Rotary today.  I was kind of suprised.  Didn't even get an email encouraging to give to the foundation for help. 
 
This is my entire point.
 

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

I'd just like to point out, that only on this forum could this discussion/debate/argument occur. 

Milyunair's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-25

WSJ home page says Americans, through the federal government,  will be providing $100 million of (borrowed) money to help. Maybe they should put more money on their credit cards.
 
We should at least pray (seriously) for the dead and suffering, and for the efficient administration of 100m. As in, "please minimize corruption associated with aid".
 
If you want to moralize or rail against others for not taking human misery seriously, don't stop at the border of your own mind.

Mike Damone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-01

SometimesNowhere wrote:LockEDJ wrote:Ron 14 wrote:
Lock - How am I placing a value on one life over another ? I am donating the same as a ratio of lives lost. 
 
By definition when dealing with a limited resource, you must make a value decision. Even giving proportionately by way of the extent of the tragedy remains a value decision. I don't know how more plainly I can put it than that.
 
That said, this is my last post on the issue. I'll side with Morean's last post.
 
Perhaps I can find another juicy BAB to sell ...
 
This is true. That's why I give all my money to the girls over at the local Gentelman's club. I feel really, REALLY bad for them.
 
I like to support single mothers as well.

Milyunair's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-25

mlgone wrote:I don't know if prior posters believe in his comments or follow him but to me Pat Robertson is a PYSCHO.  This stuff is scary
 

Haiti, the devil and Pat Robertson
By David Waters
Pat Robertson is at it again. The purported Christian minister who suggested assassinating Venezuela leader Hugo Chavez and nuking the U.S. State Department, the reputed follower of Jesus who blamed the 9/11 terrorist attacks and Hurricane Katrina on pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays and lesbians, is now attributing the Haitian earthquake to Haiti's "pact to the devil."
"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti and people might not want to talk about," Robertson said Tuesday on his 700 Club show. "They were under the heel of the French, you know Napoleon the third and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the prince.' True story. And so the devil said, 'Ok it's a deal.' And they kicked the French out. The Haitians revolted and got something themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after another."
One can only assume that Robertson is alluding to the fact that a majority of Haitians believe in and practice some forms of voodoo. Perhaps he's also referring to the fact that Roman Catholicism is the official religion of Haiti. It's also possible Robertson doesn't know what he's talking about.
Michael Lindsay, a Rice University sociologist and author of the book "Faith in the Halls of Power: How Evangelicals Joined the American Elite," suggests that Robertson does indeed know what he's talking about, and why: "Pat Robertson continues to distinguish himself as American evangelicalism's most flamboyant spokesperson. When tragedies strike, people naturally ask questions about why bad things happen to the innocent, and millions of Americans see the hand of God or the devil at work in natural calamities," Lindsay said. "But few religious leaders today draw the kinds of explicit connection as Pat Robertson has done with the Haitian earthquake. Robertson's comments reflect as much his rhetorical flourish and skill as a ratings booster as they do his theology."
Years ago I wrote a column saying that we should pay attention to the crazy things Robertson says because his thinking reflects the thinking of millions of fundamentalist Christians, many of whom support his multi-million-dollar "Christian" media empire and the political views he espouses. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe the time has come to stop paying attention to Pat Robertson. Surely the time has come for Robertson to stop making such shameful comments. Considering the massive death, destruction and misery in Haiti, it is shameful for anyone -- but especially a so-called minister of the gospel -- to suggest that God or the poor people of Haiti had anything to do with it.
Do you agree?
 
For sure, from an ontological point of view, all we can say for certainty is, " it's a mystery".
 
The possibility exists. Spend a few hours with the Old Testament before making up your mind.
 
 

Milyunair's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-25

Robertson's comments reflect as much his rhetorical flourish and skill as a ratings booster as they do his theology."
 

Obviously, anyone who tries to profit from this crisis is messed up. Who speaks for Pat Robertson? He speaks for himself. Do you really know his motive?
 
Is God real? If you had to go to prison for ten years, and could only take one book, would that book be the Bible?
 
If it was, and if you did, would you answer for certainty that the God of the Old Testament could not or would not wreak havoc on any people, like he punished to Jews?
 
Now consider that Judaism, Islam and Christianity all share and revere the Old Testament.
 
The logic goes, either you put yourself in a group of people who are open to God, and the Bible (as our prehistory, much of it written down from the oral prehistory of storytellers) - or you are in the group that negates all of that.
 
If you are in the former group, some things are better left unsaid.
 
We live in interesting times. If at some point, a vague or explicit realization hits you, that comes, not from your own logic, it may be that God is talking to you. It happens.
 
As for Haiti, who are we to say?
 
My understanding of Judaism and Christianity is that God has punished people who know better. Sound familiar? Why do agnostics attack that point with cynicism? Nip it in the bud.
 
These days, folks are searching in new ways. As for real change, I think the last election shows it's not "out there".
 
It begins with a few people, in the now. Interesting what feeling comes out of a few people in a small place talking about real stuff.
 
Some agnostic now can make some comment and dispel the feeling, but it was here.
 
If you're fully human, you have to at least entertain all possibilities, including the possibility that the Haitans are merely random victims of nature.
 
But in the context of ontological history, even the opportunity to put ten bucks on your charge card to help the Haitans may be an opportunity (blessing) to make yourself a better person. It may have nothing to do with your ten bucks helping to pay for digging a rotting corpse out of the rubble. We don't know for sure.
 
But be vigilant of people who would short circuit your thinking and feelings on the matter. Or speak on behalf of others, in this case, use Pat Robertson as a penny in the fuse box.

LockEDJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-06

Ron 14 wrote:By replacing people with Americans you are placing the value of an American above those from other countries. 
Yep. As I stated multiple times and you've failed to address, by using a limited resource a value decision of some sort must be made. I don't argue that I've made a value decision. You fail to see that you've made one as well. That's too bad.
 
Ron 14 wrote:I am still waiting for your argument regarding Katrina devastating more people than this earthquake.
 
Apparently I overstated the equivilant population of NOLA; I also thought I had seen that P-a-P population was at 800K. However, I did say "Katrina devastated a far, far larger population than the tragedy in Haiti" ... and I think I can stand by this, when considering the entire coastal population of the the Gulf states.
 
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The destruction of Katrina cost the US an estimated 100 to 150 billion dollars. The GDC of Haiti is 7 Billion. In other terms, if you gave each and every resident of Port au Prince $10000 - which is approximately 37 years worth of income - you would have an equivilant economic disaster.
 
If the WSJ suggests the Americans alone are sending $100,000,000 ... I think we have a pretty good response in order.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 

Incredible Hulk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-24

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is for the dollar to Haiti (or even what currency they use), but I'm quite certain that $100MM will go considerably farther in Haiti than it will in NYC. Heck, that may be more than their GDP for all I know.
---
Okay, I did some research. GDP according to wikipedia is $11B. More interesting to me is that the IMF, the World Bank and of course the good ol' USA forgave Haiti just last year of $1.2 Billion in outstanding debt and we the taxpayer were kind enough to kick in $20 Million to pay the interest on their debt until they settled up. I have compassion and sympathy for the Haitian people, but why in the heck is this the US taxpayers responsiblity?

LockEDJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-06

Hulk ... what's 4BL between friends?

Milyunair's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-25

I don't know if prior posters believe in his comments or follow him but to me Pat Robertson is a PYSCHO.  This stuff is scary
 
Haiti, the devil and Pat Robertson
By David Waters

 
You know what is scary to me? When your average mortal states things with unequivocal certainty.
We live in an age of "facts". Remember the clarity and transparency that Obama was going to bring to  the political process? What we have now is corruption, everywhere.
 
And yet we have folks clinging to that corruption, defending the status quo, even being cynical - not about the absolute fact of an earthquake - but about another human's interpretation of that fact.
 
Meanwhile, we have the absolute fact of the corruption of government and big business.
 
I wonder if we are getting further off track, as humans.
 
I wonder if logic will be used - up to the bitter end - to deny the potential - the more open minded possibility - that human consciousness is not the greatest consciousness, and that the purpose of human consciousness is greater than eating, sleeping, and multiplying.
 
Celebrate your humanity, but beware of wolves in sheep's clothing. Who are you to judge anyone?
 
Even with your logic, if you ever elevate your mind to eight miles high, that patterns that you see may be very different than the view from here.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

You guys are right. Let them all crawl out by themselves. Why should we even waste $100 million to help out? That $100 million could go towards the college educations of all the kids who had a parent die on 9/11 or during Katrina. I donated during 9/11 and Katrina, but these people aren't worth it. They aren't Americans and Obama is sending money anyways. Off to Starbucks I go...............

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

I really don't think there's gonna be an issue with getting people to contribute money.  Facebook, Twitter, etc. is pushing the Haiti thing, and now this:
 
http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2010/01/nfl-to-promote-relief-efforts-in-haiti.html?referrer=emaillink

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Milyunair wrote:WSJ home page says Americans, through the federal government,  will be providing $100 million of (borrowed) money to help. Maybe they should put more money on their credit cards.
 
We should at least pray (seriously) for the dead and suffering, and for the efficient administration of 100m. As in, "please minimize corruption associated with aid".
 
If you want to moralize or rail against others for not taking human misery seriously, don't stop at the border of your own mind.
 
Focus your prayers on the living.  Let the dead take care of themselves. 
 
 

Milyunair's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-25

Bill Clinton is there helping manage things.
 
Can't stand the guy (any more), but I think it's great for the victims to have a leader leading.
 
He's pitching for money. He can redeem himself a little more. Life is good. Maybe he'll be asking hard questions.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Tsunami - US Private Donations 200 million: 230,000 deaths
 
9/11 - US Private Donations 1.88 billion: 2752 deaths
 
Katrina - US Private Donations 3.27 Billion: 1815 deaths / 702 missing
 
 
 
 

Milyunair's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-25

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Milyunair wrote:WSJ home page says Americans, through the federal government,  will be providing $100 million of (borrowed) money to help. Maybe they should put more money on their credit cards.
 
We should at least pray (seriously) for the dead and suffering, and for the efficient administration of 100m. As in, "please minimize corruption associated with aid".
 
If you want to moralize or rail against others for not taking human misery seriously, don't stop at the border of your own mind.
 
Focus your prayers on the living.  Let the dead take care of themselves. 
 
 
 
We also pray for the souls of the newly departed. 40 days. The Protestants rejected this practice. Doesn't  make it a fact.
 
Kind of gives new (old) meaning to life - and death. Jesus isn't rolling in his grave, though.
 
I wonder is the New York Times will do a series on Voodoo, and Shamanism, and if there will be a resurgence on interest in these topics. Ironically, the earthquake could help revitalize tourism in New Orleans.
 
Kind of like - blogging on RR is more fun than doing (spiritual) work. Guilty.
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_for_the_dead

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

I don't want to get into a philosophical debate with you, so if you want to pray for those newly departed souls for the next 40 days, more power to you. 
 
How about this - the Catholics, Orthodoxes (what's the pluran of orthodox?), and the Jewish folks can pray for the dead.  The Protestants can pray for the living.  That way there's enough praying going on to make everyone happy.  
 
Moraen - Rotary Foundation has established a Haiti Earthquake fund.  Thought you might like to know.

Hey Kool-Aid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-30

I think we should pray for all the young Hatian girls who are being made to give blowies to Slick Willie! 

Milyunair's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-25

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I don't want to get into a philosophical debate with you, so if you want to pray for those newly departed souls for the next 40 days, more power to you. 
 
How about this - the Catholics, Orthodoxes (what's the pluran of orthodox?), and the Jewish folks can pray for the dead.  The Protestants can pray for the living.  That way there's enough praying going on to make everyone happy.  
 
Moraen - Rotary Foundation has established a Haiti Earthquake fund.  Thought you might like to know.
 
I used to be Protestant, I married into the Orthodox and converted. When overwhelmed, or underwhelmed, by the long liturgies and incense and eating and drinking afterward, I fall back on my Protesant root, which I profess to be golf during liturgy.
 
I think it's funny that people who believe in nothing believe in attacking the outrageous beliefs of people who believe in something.
 
Even insurance polices call earthquakes, "Acts of God". How quickly some forget.
 
 
 
 

Milyunair's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-25

Hey Kool-Aid wrote:I think we should pray for all the young Hatian girls who are being made to give blowies to Slick Willie! 
 
That is a sick thought. What is Slick Willie has preferences that run like the one fellow in Sopranos who kept his head down. We would probably eventually hear about it.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

iceco1d wrote: I'd just like to point out, that only on this forum could this discussion/debate/argument occur. 

I set it up.........

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Ron 14 wrote:Tsunami - US Private Donations 200 million: 230,000 deaths
 
9/11 - US Private Donations 1.88 billion: 2752 deaths
 
Katrina - US Private Donations 3.27 Billion: 1815 deaths / 702 missing
 
 
 
 Yes, the Tsunami donations were kind of small.As for Katrina - it's even worse than that when you count all of the money that was flushed to DHS, but never spent, because the losers in NO didn't want to work to help rebuild their own city.To be perfectly honest, I never give proportionally either.  It's a flat rate. 

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×