Skip navigation

The 500 day war (for rookies)

or Register to post new content in the forum

183 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Jul 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Bringing this into 2017. It seems like this website has died (maybe because of fishbowl). I'm not sure if its because all the great posters have retired/burned out. This was fun to read regardless.

Oct 4, 2017 8:31 pm

Have yo ever heard of Virtual Retirement Solutions? My company sets up meetings with sponsor companies that are interested in having a new advisor review their 401k plan. I have over 400 advisors working with us on a contractual basis nationally and they go on the appointments set through us based upon asset ranges they prefer and regions that they are willing to service. We also have the same program for Group Health.

May 21, 2024 10:56 pm
BondGuy wrote:
[quote=BondGuy]
This is a contact business. There is no magic formula. Pick up the phone and call someone and keep doing it until the sun goes down. And then do it some more. Ask people to do something. Buy something, look at something, consider something, talk to you in person or over the phone. Every call is a prospecting call or a call to move the prospect closer to a decision. Once you have clients, client calls get thrown into the mix. That's it! That's all this is, talking to people and asking them to take action, nothing more. The more people you talk to the more money you are going to make and the faster you will make it.

I know it’s been years and I’m not even sure if you’re still in business…or even alive (praying all is well). As someone just starting in the independent space with an RIA who focuses on planning, rather than on commissionable trades, I was wondering if you, or anyone else here had ideas on what product I could use as bait when prospecting SBO’s on the phone to start a conversation. A bond…stock…insurance concept, something? Or any ideas on where to find this stuff and what to look for when searching? I have access to Morningstar through my library, fidelity because I’m a customer, and of course, google. But with not being at a wirehouse, I have to find and use my own research, analytics, planning, and investment tools.

Custodian is Schwab and Altruist, btw. Oh, and I’m a couple months in and have a couple flat fee clients but want aum business from here on out. I like planning. It’s just…slow. Rather gather aum and plan, then only plan without aum, if that makes sense. I am making calls, but I don’t have a strong hook right now.