Starting at Edward Jones....

80 replies [Last post]
donatello's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-22

Good-you tried. There's a couple things you are missing. 1. Institutional pricing. 2. ability to do all fund families. 3. boutique exposure--firms that have only ever invested money for $25m+ accounts. You've never heard their names in the retail world.
Worst case scenario-client goes into funds without any fees except for institutional pricing through internal expenses and can move out at any time without incurring other fees....basically bot for nothing. Why do they keep them do you think? Because the returns are equal or better than the A shares you love, but the risk (volatility) is lower. HNW investors understand this so well....they don't like paying if they can't understand the reasons, but they don't mind paying for a value they understand.
If you want to understand any of these separate issues...ask what you don't understand. You will be the better for it.
 
Also, many of the stock accounts create a client's individual mutual fund along with discretionary trading authority. In effect, you are the portfolio manager. I don't have to call them first. I have many of those. I place one trade to rebalance all accounts within that strategy. It's easy to talk to clients about that. They can see the value in it.
Keep learning--just don't think you know this stuff. You don't.
I appreciate your honesty. You will do well...especially someday at another firm.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Yes wrap accounts are still paying the fee.  I don't discount so 80-100 bps is low.  My clients have heard from me as that is part of what they are paying for, contracted contact.  Also I do not have to explain to them why Cap World is down 13% ytd because of that "it's cheaper in the long run" A share charge.  They could care less.  If cheaper was the answer, you would see a lot more Hyundais (sp?) on the road.  The question is value.  Which do you value more Mr. Client, paying all today or compensating me for what you get as we go?  Do you want a portfolio in Am F that limits you to 30 funds, or would you prefer to have me help you select a portfolio from over 100 families with over 3000 funds without increasing your cost one bit.  Would you like a fund that I need to make sure is ok today and have no motivation to ever switch within the fund family, or an investment where I have the fiduciary responsibility to make sure is appropriate now, next year, next decade... and so on.  One thing about this business is that sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.  When I call you to make a change, you will never have to question if it is to earn a commission because doing what is right, which may be nothing at all, is the way I do business. 

Eyetattoo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-29

donatello wrote:Good-you tried. There's a couple things you are missing. 1. Institutional pricing. 2. ability to do all fund families. 3. boutique exposure--firms that have only ever invested money for $25m+ accounts. You've never heard their names in the retail world.
Worst case scenario-client goes into funds without any fees except for institutional pricing through internal expenses and can move out at any time without incurring other fees....basically bot for nothing. Why do they keep them do you think? Because the returns are equal or better than the A shares you love, but the risk (volatility) is lower. HNW investors understand this so well....they don't like paying if they can't understand the reasons, but they don't mind paying for a value they understand.
If you want to understand any of these separate issues...ask what you don't understand. You will be the better for it.
 
Also, many of the stock accounts create a client's individual mutual fund along with discretionary trading authority. In effect, you are the portfolio manager. I don't have to call them first. I have many of those. I place one trade to rebalance all accounts within that strategy. It's easy to talk to clients about that. They can see the value in it.
Keep learning--just don't think you know this stuff. You don't.
I appreciate your honesty. You will do well...especially someday at another firm.Thanks for the response....I appreciate you not being pompous about your answers too.  I do understand that most HNW clients understand and like wrap accounts its the clients under $500K that usually don't and in my area that is who I deal with.And as far as going to another firm? Most likely not going to happen...I live in a smaller town and not really interested in moving back to the city especially if Im making $200K+ and having the quality of life that i currently have.  Not to say that wont change someday.  Ill look forward to picking your brain now that I have found this site!

Eyetattoo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-29

Bluetang wrote:Yes wrap accounts are still paying the fee.  I don't discount so 80-100 bps is low.  My clients have heard from me as that is part of what they are paying for, contracted contact.  Also I do not have to explain to them why Cap World is down 13% ytd because of that "it's cheaper in the long run" A share charge.  They could care less.  If cheaper was the answer, you would see a lot more Hyundais (sp?) on the road.  The question is value.  Which do you value more Mr. Client, paying all today or compensating me for what you get as we go?  Do you want a portfolio in Am F that limits you to 30 funds, or would you prefer to have me help you select a portfolio from over 100 families with over 3000 funds without increasing your cost one bit.  Would you like a fund that I need to make sure is ok today and have no motivation to ever switch within the fund family, or an investment where I have the fiduciary responsibility to make sure is appropriate now, next year, next decade... and so on.  One thing about this business is that sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.  When I call you to make a change, you will never have to question if it is to earn a commission because doing what is right, which may be nothing at all, is the way I do business.  I like this presentation.......I may just have to use it one day.....when our wrap program rolls out.

Eyetattoo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-29

Okay so I have a questions for everyone......Now that the back and forth pissing match is over(or at least simmered down)  How much of your book is in managed money and how much is in A, B, or C shares?

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

'I'm just curious....to all the Jones haters......who do you work for?  And why is your company "so" much better than Jones?"
 
I'm not a Jones hater.  I actually think that Jones is not a bad place to start and I have no doubt that there are some decent size producers there.   It's probably the best fit for lots of people. 
 
I can just tell you quickly why my firm is better for me. 
 
1) Investment payouts of over 80%
2) if someone buys an insurance policy, I probably make 3-4x the commission on it than I would at Jones.
3) I get all of the benefits (health, life, DI, 401(k) with generous match, pension, free rent, etc.)
4) No pressure to sell any specific products
5) Several nice trips a year with no necessary meetings
 
In fact, the only disadvantage is that I pay for my own staff.  Of course, I can afford to pay for a bunch of staff people with the extra comp.    Is there any reason that I would want to give up what I have to go and work for Jones?
 

Broker24's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-10-12

BigPayDay wrote: MS Looney (Sorry for the mix up),

I do not use VAs in the qualified arena so I am not familiar with these products. I thought you were discussing the "normal" VAs, not in qualified accounts. I do use these and am not aware of any that are Jones only.

BPD

BPD, Babs is right. Nearly every annuity Jones uses is "Jones" specific. I know a lot of the wholesalers, and they've shown me the other stuff (or just told me about it).   They even help me sell against the other products that the wires use (B shares, I shares, whatever). Our products aren't bad, they are just primarly preferred funds. Don't sweat it, but Babs is right.

Another little "secret"...did you know that all the literature we get from the annuity and fund companies are Jones specific? We don't get the "mainstream" stuff. Funny but true. Again, no big deal, but it really just stems from the A-share and focus list philosophy. Ever wonder why Franklin Templeton stuff only has like 20 funds on their literature that we get? They don't inlcude all their far-flung funds and sector funds on the Jones literature. I still use some of those funds, but they just aren't on our stuff.

Broker24's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-10-12

Eyetattoo wrote:
I asked about the confirmations because you didn't mention where you worked.....I know many Bank Firms don't get instant confirms.....And 55% is better than what I get but I also have a fully paid for Assistant, my own office and commissions is only one of the five ways we get paid.....so Ill take my 37-39% any day.Back to the preferred 8 EDJ isn't the only firm that has RS plans in tack and if I find there is a better choice for a client outside of the 8 I put them in it........and out of the preferred 8 American Funds is most arguably the highest used fund  by EDJ FAs and also has the lowest RS out of the 8.

Tattoo, you scare me. I now understand why everyone acccuses Jones of doling out Koolaide. I have read your various threads, and I ALMOST thought you were Spears in disguise, just trying to be a smart-ass. Then I realized you were serious. I assume you just go back from PDP?

CIBforeveryone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-12

B24 that's funny and you are right...another newbie trying to fight the good fight. He's way out of his league this time.

donatello's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-22

He's open and he will make a decision someday..EDJ or not. He's a babe, but he's learning. Cut him slack. Most of us can recognize the babies. He'll get is someday, and he will say EDJ or no way. Not happy that he spouts the crap, but I really think he's open to learning. Good luck tattoo! B24---sure hoping you will move at the right time--2 years max!...you're smart. Would love to see you liberated!

Eyetattoo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-29

Broker24 wrote: Eyetattoo wrote:
I asked about the confirmations because you didn't mention where you worked.....I know many Bank Firms don't get instant confirms.....And 55% is better than what I get but I also have a fully paid for Assistant, my own office and commissions is only one of the five ways we get paid.....so Ill take my 37-39% any day.Back to the preferred 8 EDJ isn't the only firm that has RS plans in tack and if I find there is a better choice for a client outside of the 8 I put them in it........and out of the preferred 8 American Funds is most arguably the highest used fund  by EDJ FAs and also has the lowest RS out of the 8.

Tattoo, you scare me. I now understand why everyone acccuses Jones of doling out Koolaide. I have read your various threads, and I ALMOST thought you were Spears in disguise, just trying to be a smart-ass. Then I realized you were serious. I assume you just go back from PDP?Your right I am new with EDJ but not brand new to the industry.....I spent roughly two years in a bank program(US Bank) and have several friends with Wachovia (formally Atlas).  I understand you like to have all the different options at your fingertips (which I also have besides options) but when you break down the returns apples to apples there isnt that big of a difference.....sure year to year you can make some really good arguments but when you look at 5, 10,20 year returns the returns are very close (if Im wrong please show me the numbers).  And bottom line is that Jones is a good fit for me and my family......they have let me choose where put my office (my home town) and I have been included in a Goodknight program, which will help me in the first years to keep my head above water while building my business.  On top of all that I have a great network of FAs in my area that will just about drop everything just to help me and my business.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

I really do agree with donatello, and I wish you the best of luck.  This is a rough business and sometimes I wish when I started someone had given it to me straight.  For the record, take it for what its worth: stocks, bonds, cds, mfs, annuitties, ltc, life and term are not all of the options.  You don't know what you don't know.  If these were  all the options available to me, I just took a 25% paycut.  You are missing out on mortgages, 1031 exchanges, fiduciary trust services, helocs, non-purpose loans, equity lines of credit, futures, options, options on futures, institutional shares, private placements, business leasing, hedge funds, wrap programs, financial planning services and probably more that I cannot think of.  What you are reading in these forums is not hate.  It is aggravation from EDJ saying what they have is all that is needed and anything else is too risky or expensive for them to ethically show clients.  If you go into battle, and that is what you are doing, don't you want as many bullets as possible?  When someone is shopping for a mortgage, they have to disclose where all their money is.  There is a broker there that is prospecting your client knowing where all the bodies are buried.  I would prefer that person never gets the chance to see my clients assets, my client can come to me for ANYTHING they need.  This business is less about returns and more about service.  You can have the same returns, but the more unique services that your client buys from you, the deeper the relationship. Again take it for what its worth, and good luck.

Roostrchic's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-07

If a past employee of Edward Jones would like to get a hold of someone in the PASS Program in Tempe, AZ in hopes to join the PASS Program, what would be the best route to take and who should they contact?

Coast4's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-08

Contact Paul Gorgus in St. Louis, he is over the pass program.  His assistant is christy davis she does the interviews.

Roostrchic's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-07

Thank you oh so much! 

Hangin's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-02

previous post is correct with all the segments and "hoops" you must jump through....I started their and then moved on the AGE.........
I think it's a great place to start....just do what they tell you and you'll be fine.  Know that if your on the coasts you're probably not going to be able to compete for the big money accounts, but you can still make a great living...go on nice trips and have lots of freedom.
Good Luck!!! 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

It's funny after reading these threads, that were back in April. Now that the economy is doing terrible, i am sure glad to be working at jones. Sure bet most people are wishing they never sold all those "Full Service" investments that Jones doesnt offer lol.! It's great for me, I don't have to worry about losing my job and you guys have made it EASY for me out there. All i have to do is nod my head to them complaining of all the crazy investments you Jones haters sell, that we have absolutely nothing to do with. lol.....They hate you right now lol....

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

Funny thing is...so far...the only thing I've had to appologize for is Lehman Bonds transferred from.......................................................yep.......................JONES. As a vet poster...I can say...you're a dumbass!

B24's picture
B24
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08

wind3574 wrote: It's funny after reading these threads, that were back in April. Now that the economy is doing terrible, i am sure glad to be working at jones. Sure bet most people are wishing they never sold all those "Full Service" investments that Jones doesnt offer lol.! It's great for me, I don't have to worry about losing my job and you guys have made it EASY for me out there. All i have to do is nod my head to them complaining of all the crazy investments you Jones haters sell, that we have absolutely nothing to do with. lol.....They hate you right now lol....

Put DOWN the Kool Aide, sir. Step AWAY from the Kool Aide, sir.

EASY? Please tell me where it is easy out there. I'll move to your town.

Wind, nobody is immune to this. Who exactly are you aiming your little diatribe at? You know you sound like a little dork?

B24's picture
B24
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08

bspears wrote: Funny thing is...so far...the only thing I've had to appologize for is Lehman Bonds transferred from.......................................................yep.......................JONES. As a vet poster...I can say...you're a dumbass!

Didn't realize Jones had cornered the entire market on Lehman bonds.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid ! (in my best Chris Farley impersonation...)

Actually, I just transferred an account from SB the other day (guy's brokers had previously been at AGE as well). He had, no joke, Lehman Bonds, Ford and GM Bonds, and a few other winners at more than half-off. I aksed him why he had all that stuff, and he said "my guys would just come by with a list of available bonds, and I would just pick the one's with the highest rates."
Oh, that's good financial leadership. No wonder he's with me now....

norway401's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-10-16

Wind3574 , Sir you are either a complete idiot or really just at the start of a career in the profession. May I just pass on a wee bit of advise....." Listen , learn and then speak". I can absolutely without any hesitation say that if you make statements like you have your tenure in this industry will be short lived. Not personal , but a bit of advise.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Love the bashing.....I said what i said...Meant what i said...Doesn't mean i am a dumb ass. Means my experience so far is pretty smooth because of the crazy investments of others.   I never said the INDUSTRY was easy, but it sure makes it alot easier when everyone i talk to hates their advisor, because they work for another firm that the Media is bashing. Sorry your markets are sucking, but that sure doesn't have anything to do with my capability. Being new doesn't either, just means i'm a new face. And i don't feed into this Kool-Aid BS. It's called confidence in yourself and you ability. I love it when Vets look at new guys like they "Aren't capable, or don't know anything". Funny. I may not know everything, but neither do you. Anyway, i'm sure you guys will waste your time on another 4 pages to this thread, defending the fact that you know more than me ....have fun

lolimrich's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-12

Every other firm is all fuxxed up, Jones is hiring people by the boatloads and constructing nice, shiny buildings.  Half the non-EJ RR members deleted their accounts after last week.  Best of luck to the few of you who are still standing though.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

And we wonder why our clients are calling us saying sell everything.  We've got people who are supposed to know what they are doing making comments like some of these. 

 
Wind, obviously you haven't been around Jones long enough to know about some of our most dubious mistakes.  The Bachmann & Hill full page letter in the WSJ right before the revenue sharing debacle was the classic.  Don't they tell you about Baldwin United in KYC/EvalGrad anymore?  Lehman, CIT Group, GMAC, Ford.  All names of bonds that are in my book.   How about this one..."If you loved LU at $40, it's a the steal of the century at $20...wait...$10...no...$5..."  How about moving AIG to a sell the day after they announced that they were in trouble. 
 
There aren't any firms out there that have completely clean records.  You just work for the one who sticks to plain Jane investments out there and have come through this relatively clean.  Not sparkling, but relatively clean.  Not everyone hates their advisor.   I promise you for every one person you talk to that hates their advisor you have a client who is doubting your capabilities right now.  It's just simply the way people think.  So, before you start throwing rocks at glass houses you better start checking for the cracks in your own windows. 
 
lolimrich - Jones has always hired boatloads of people.  They expand when necessary.  Neither of which have anything to do with the current state of affairs.  I'll bet those iron workers aren't complaining about the paychecks they're getting from their employers who are putting those buildings up.  Call it our further contribution to the betterment of the economy. 

norway401's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-10-16

The difference Wind is that for most that have been around for a bit longer than you and have survivied they have learned the skill of listening and learning. But you are right , you win and I am sure that you are one of the select Advisors that will never make an error and of course will be all knowing. You clients are indeed lucky.

shockjockNY's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-19

I agree with an earlier post that EJ is going to be one of the safer financial job bets over the next few years. A former colleague started with them a few months ago, and said that the pressures are on par with what you'd expect with this economy.
I *highly* recommend the advice over at http://www.geocities.com/edwardjonesjobstip if you are thinking about applying.
Also, there is no guarantee on how much time it takes from submitting an application to getting an interview. It could be days, but usually at least a few weeks.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Nice. 
 
I'll give another FREE tip.  Shoot a PM to me or B24 or Borker, well maybe not Borker, or some of the other guys on this forum and we'll be more than happy to tell you the secrets of meeting people who work for Jones. 

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×