LPL TICKET CHARGES

22 replies [Last post]
Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

I'm looking for all of you LPLers to share ways you have found to limit the ticket charges at LPL.  Be creative now...

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

There are no ticket charges in SAM for exchanges between funds in the same family, at least.  So, for example, if you're using Oppy Gold and Spec Minerals and the client needs to trim that back and increase international bond exposure, you could move some $ into Oppy International Bond.  Same with American Funds, and a few others from first hand experience.  Obviously you still need to work to get the best possible funds for your client, but every little bit in cost reduction helps.Too, I have all mutual funds in SAM pay dividends into cash, and use that cash for rebalancing.  That way you don't have to enter as many "SELL" orders to rebalance.  In the end, though, the only way to reduce your ticket charges is to keep your transactions under control.By the way-if you're considering the SAM II platform versus SAM I I'd recommend against it.  Let the client pay the ticket charges. If they have a major issue with it then move on to someone else...they're too picky about minor costs.  Also fewer conflict of interest problems if you have the client pay versus you paying ticket charges in SAM II and worrying about your profit margins...

Greenbacks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-21

In the beginning I to worried about ticket charges! But I consider them just part of doing buisness. 
But it does get to me how E-trade can do it for $8 or less and LPL charges me $25   
Going forward I am conserned about this group that LPL entered into partnership with   

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Greenbacks wrote:
In the beginning I to worried about ticket charges! But I consider them just part of doing buisness. 
But it does get to me how E-trade can do it for $8 or less and LPL charges me $25   
Going forward I am conserned about this group that LPL entered into partnership with   

 
Me too.  On all counts.

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

I kind of understood that as a step toward going IPO... any thoughts?

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Ready2Jump wrote:I kind of understood that as a step toward going IPO... any thoughts?
Quite possibly, or quite likely, it is.Todd Robinson, the former 100% owner of LPL, has apparently been trying to sell a large part of his exposure for while.

Greenbacks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-21

It was to my understanding Todd Robinson plan was to sell shares to reps
But I think he got greedy and left us hanging
I see LPL trying to increase there bottom line at all costs! Look at OMP and the funds they have in it 
Also the OMP annuity they chose Skandia  One of the worst comanies out there! The way I see it they offered LPL the most $$$ to get in! I refuse to use either one of these platforms.
Over all I am still happy with LPL but as does any BD they have something's they could improve on!     

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

Yeah, OMP... what are the problems with it.  All I've heard are
the cushy stuff, the actual funds used are often not mentioned. 
Why would you need an annuity in OMP?  

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Greenbacks wrote:It was to my understanding Todd Robinson plan was to sell shares to reps
But I think he got greedy and left us hanging
I see LPL trying to increase there bottom line at all costs! Look at OMP and the funds they have in it 
Also the OMP annuity they chose Skandia  One of the worst comanies out there! The way I see it they offered LPL the most $$$ to get in! I refuse to use either one of these platforms.
Over all I am still happy with LPL but as does any BD they have something's they could improve on!     I would be curious to have you elaborate on your OMP comment.In theory OMP is a good program, and there are even some good managers in the program, IMHO.  Having said that, the costs are too high(last time I looked was about six months ago) and frankly it just has too much of a proprietary feel to it.  When I start hearing/seeing that other firms are using these funds(or at least signing dealer agreements), or that advisers are able to transfer them out to another firm, that will give me greater comfort.  So far I haven't seen that happen.Frankly, too, the internal folks push a little too hard when it comes to OMP.  That's my sense.As for the annuity OAP platform, Skandia has a pretty good chassis.  However, I'd agree that it's far too expensive when you see what you can get for less at other vendors.

csmelnix's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-01

What type of business are you looking to work around on the tkt chgs? 
GBacks, Equities are only costing me $15 v $25 that you mentioned.
If Mfds, systematic set up is the best way - it only takes 4 cycles to qualify (4 months, 4 quarters etc).

Greenbacks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-21

My mistake on equitie charge you are right $15. Still almost double then the discounters! I would think LPL would be able to do it for near that and still make a nice profit!  

csmelnix's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-01

I have no idea on that - I look at it from a competitve perspective, RJ, Commonwealth etc... all charge almost double what LPL does so they are a bit ahead in my mind.  I haven't a clue on how the discounters do it. 
Anyway, hope business is well.

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

CSMEL - Really?  So only 4 cycles required for systematic?  That would be great!  That's why this forum is awesome...

csmelnix's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-01

That's correct R2J - hope it helped.
 

The Answer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-02

 
So is it the 90% payout before or after ticket charges? 

Indyone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-31

Yes.  Mine runs about 85% after ticket charges...

The Answer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-02

Indyone wrote:Yes.  Mine runs about 85% after ticket charges...
Ticket charges are costing you 5%?
What about FICA? Is it only up to a certain income level?

FreedomLvr's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-10

TheAnswer, I'm not sure if you're just asking questions you already know the answer to or not, so I'll spare you some sarcasm.
Obviously Indy's not netting 90% on his business.  One of the biggest differences between the Independents and other firms is who controls the business.  LPL pays IndyOne as much as they can and he controls all the aspects of his business at the local level.  If he wants to pay an assistant he can find one he likes, pay them what he feels they deserve, and let them go if it's not working out.  It's the same thing for every other aspect of his business.  The Indy B/D only steps in if something the Advisor does is breaking securities law (Compliance).
I would say, and Indy will probably back me up on this, that after all your expenses, including an assistant and a personal 401k/SEP/whatever contribution the NET is probably around 60% or so.  That will DEFINITELY vary and could be higher or lower, depending on what I need to run my business.
Do you want to manage your business or own one?
 

moleary's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-10-21

Regarding FICA:  For LPL's Insured Cash Account Program
FDIC insurance on cash sweep balances up to $1 million for single account holders and $2 million for joint account holders.
Hope that helps
 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

moleary wrote:Regarding FICA:  For LPL's Insured Cash Account Program
FDIC insurance on cash sweep balances up to $1 million for single account holders and $2 million for joint account holders.
Hope that helps
 HUH?What are you smokin' man?

Greenbacks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-21

joedabrkr wrote: moleary wrote:
Regarding FICA:  For LPL's Insured Cash Account Program
FDIC insurance on cash sweep balances up to $1 million for single account holders and $2 million for joint account holders.
Hope that helps
 

FICA/FDIC? 
    

RepResource's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-31

my fault
read the thread to quickly
 

Indyone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-31

The Answer wrote:Indyone wrote:Yes.  Mine runs about 85% after ticket charges...
Ticket charges are costing you 5%?
What about FICA? Is it only up to a certain income level?
Yes, ticket charges/SAM admin fees cost me about 5% of my production in aggregate.  The way I am structured (salary through an S-Corp.), my FICA/medicare stops at about $40,000.
...and yes, there are other admin costs such as my assistant, office rent, etc.  My net after that, but before income taxes is running right at 70%.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×