Jones Fee Based

105 replies [Last post]
success's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-01

Any word yet on what it will look like and when it will be unveiled?

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

As soon as Weddle gets away from the mirror and his comb.

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

But, on  a serious note, they are about to have summer regionals..and I assume this is when they'll roll out the new plan. They might even announce a partnership with HR Block...you just never know.

gad12's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-12-06

bspears wrote:But, on  a serious note, they are about to have summer regionals..and I assume this is when they'll roll out the new plan. They might even announce a partnership with HR Block...you just never know.
 
Didn't they announce it LAST summer regional?!%  (If you're wondering the answer is yes.)  I predict no details till at least 08 regionals.

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

Gad, could be...I skipped the summer regionals.

success's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-01

I am sure it will be a big question at the regionals.  They have been talking about it for over a year now and nothing yet, so I hope they are getting close. 

FreeFromJones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-29

I don't remember any such announcement last year, but the RL didn't invite me back this year.  I'm shocked!!  I had my "How to survive after Edward Jones" presentation all done and was going to show "How I made more money in 5 months than I ever did at Jones" video all qued up too.  I guess it's just my loss to not see all of the great awards handed out especially the ones signifying the first $100K ney year for those guys and gals who have been out 7-10 years.  Oh, I forgot, those guys got their award last year and now work with LPL.  Well the golden shovel award is still a big crowd pleaser.

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

I left my wood plaques on my desk when I left.  I left a message with a buddy of mine still at Jones, asking if they're needing a speaker I could talk about alternative investments and how to add value to a portfolio.  No callback, though...

spikedkoolaid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-20

In our region, they used to give out a C.A.R.E. package to all the newbies that were knocking on doors...I always equated it to a participation trophy I received when I was five. 
Jones is so good at dangling the carrot and never implementing.  I believe the internet/email conversation went on for 3 years.  I know paying 40% payout on the Managed Account Fee Based Platform took 3 years.  So my guess it would be sometime in 09.
Oh, and by the way, it will be "the best, most ethical, and have the customer's interest first." 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

success wrote:Any word yet on what it will look like and when it will be unveiled?
 
The day before the SEC completely outlaws them? 

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Great conversation from you guys outside looking in.  No word on the fee based yet.  Seems like everyone just forgot about it.  My guess is the whole Merril lawsuit has put everything on the back burner.  I vividly remember Weddle telling us at the Fall regionals last year that we should expect something fee based before the end of the first quarter or early second.  Well...?
Who knows.  I heard a couple of years ago that we were going to get PDAs that would sinc w/ our systems.  Just this month we can get one of those new fangled phones with that new internet thing in it and use one of those with our systems.  We're moving at light speed now, buddy.
I expect we'll get some sort of update from our area GP at the summer regionals next week.  Until I get an email telling me it's up and running, I'm not holding my breath.  Can anyone say C shares? 

FreeFromJones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-29

Spiff,
Every new post from you seems to be more and more sarcastic.  Do we sense some dissatisfaction with the Green and White, or do you just like pulling our leg?  I believe you'd do great and love life more if you didn't have to attend the great summer regional meeting and receive all of those great awards.  Come to the light and be truly happy.

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

You know...I think we need to pull back a little on recruiting to the indy side.  I've got 2 other LPL offices in my town and even though I can prospect to no end, the prospects see little benefit to move from one lpl to another, unless they're not getting the service.  I love spiff, but maybe he should stay for now.

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

GP's want you to forget about it so they can continue raking it in through the back door.
Spiff you do sound different.

Gone Indy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-02

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Great conversation from you guys outside looking in.  No word on the fee based yet.  Seems like everyone just forgot about it.  My guess is the whole Merril lawsuit has put everything on the back burner.  I vividly remember Weddle telling us at the Fall regionals last year that we should expect something fee based before the end of the first quarter or early second.  Well...?
Who knows.  I heard a couple of years ago that we were going to get PDAs that would sinc w/ our systems.  Just this month we can get one of those new fangled phones with that new internet thing in it and use one of those with our systems.  We're moving at light speed now, buddy.
I expect we'll get some sort of update from our area GP at the summer regionals next week.  Until I get an email telling me it's up and running, I'm not holding my breath.  Can anyone say C shares? 

Well, Spiff, at least you can poke fun at the mothership.  You mention C shares, do they still cut the payout on C shares at Jones to 35% vs A shares at 40%?  It's funny, we used to catch hell for using C shares years ago at Jones so they just cut the payout!  Now they're offering fee based???? 

Gone Indy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-02

bspears wrote:But, on  a serious note, they are about to have summer regionals..and I assume this is when they'll roll out the new plan. They might even announce a partnership with HR Block...you just never know.
Ahhhh...the summer regionals...what fond memories!  Nothing like spending three days at the local state park in some musty room.  Hey, in our free time let's take the canoes down the river!

FreeFromJones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-29

Last year it rained like a SOB and then a water main broke and half of our rooms were without water.  Oh what a wonderful smell you've discovered.  It was just about 2 months after allthe fun Icould handle that I bailed.  And 2 weeks after I bailed, 3 guys who were Seg 5 bailed.  Must have been the fond summer regional memories that did us in.  B.S. help me, they're trying to take me back.  If only I could have fed my family, I would have stayed just for the R.L.'s corny jokes.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

OK, here's why I sound different.  Not a sign that I'm jumping, just the facts. 
I lost a good account this week.  Sorry, lost a good prospect this week.  Guy I doorknocked 3 years ago.  Dripped on him on and off.  Total portfolio of over $650K.  Perfect Jones client.  Mostly funds with Fidelity.  75 years old.  We've had 3 meetings in the last 3 months.  The last one he tells me he can't understand my proposal, can't figure out how much it costs, and can't see any reason why he would move to me just to buy different mutual funds.  He wants to do ETFs instead. China, Oil and Gas, Energy, and FTSE.  He read a book on them so now he's an expert. 
Three years of work and I lose out to a book.  This fee based post kind of hit a sore spot.  Part of me thinks if I had the ability to do fee based I might have had a better shot.  You want to do ETFs?  OK.  You want to do stocks?  OK.  You like your funds?  OK.  No problem.  Let's transfer it all in. 
So, there you go.  I'm not jumping.  I enjoy the regional meetings (there go the "you sound like a smart guy" references).  I don't like the start from $0 every month.  Neither do my wife and two girls.  But I'm not dissatisfied with the green and white.  The kool-aid is on rapid diffuser.  If they could just get the mixture a little sweeter I'd be a happy Joneser for the rest of my career.  
 
 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
OK, here's why I sound different.  Not a sign that I'm jumping, just the facts. 
I lost a good account this week.  Sorry, lost a good prospect this week.  Guy I doorknocked 3 years ago.  Dripped on him on and off.  Total portfolio of over $650K.  Perfect Jones client.  Mostly funds with Fidelity.  75 years old.  We've had 3 meetings in the last 3 months.  The last one he tells me he can't understand my proposal, can't figure out how much it costs, and can't see any reason why he would move to me just to buy different mutual funds.  He wants to do ETFs instead. China, Oil and Gas, Energy, and FTSE.  He read a book on them so now he's an expert. 
Three years of work and I lose out to a book.  This fee based post kind of hit a sore spot.  Part of me thinks if I had the ability to do fee based I might have had a better shot.  You want to do ETFs?  OK.  You want to do stocks?  OK.  You like your funds?  OK.  No problem.  Let's transfer it all in. 
So, there you go.  I'm not jumping.  I enjoy the regional meetings (there go the "you sound like a smart guy" references).  I don't like the start from $0 every month.  Neither do my wife and two girls.  But I'm not dissatisfied with the green and white.  The kool-aid is on rapid diffuser.  If they could just get the mixture a little sweeter I'd be a happy Joneser for the rest of my career.  

 

SS, this is a classic case of rookie ignorance. First, you kept dripping on him. If the guy was a good prospect, he would've met with you 3 years ago. Second, you had 3 appointments with him where one should've been enough. Also, you gave him a proposal. Do your presentations on a legal pad and NEVER let anyone take anything home. Tell them that it is a TOOL that YOU will use to manage their money and that they can see it anytime they want, if they make an appointment first. Again, use a legal pad. You demonstrated that you add NO value. Here you are moving all over the place, offering MF's, ETF's or whatever HE wants, instead of insisting that you know what you're doing and if he wants you to manage his money, he will have to do things YOUR way.
If ALL you look for are people who want what you do and want it now, you're gonna find people who want what you do and will get the business now. Anything else and you're wasting your time. Take this sh*t to heart.

AllREIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-12-16

Spaceman Spiff wrote:We've had 3 meetings in the last 3 months. 
The last one he tells me he can't understand my proposal, can't figure
out how much it costs, and can't see any reason why he would move to me
just to buy different mutual funds.  He wants to do ETFs instead.
China, Oil and Gas, Energy, and FTSE.  He read a book on them
so now he's an expert.

Spiff,

This is where the danger comes in,

What I'd do is explain that while China, Energy and the like have an
important role to play in any portfolio that faces the future. But to
get the greatest effect it's important that they be part of a greater
plan.

BTW: This is the exact reason that John Bogle doesn't like ETF's, they
appeal to traders. This guy will get hammered when the China bubble and
collapses.

Will EDJ participate on the next KayneAnderson
(or other MLP) fund? If so I'd call him when that starts going, and try
to schedule a meeting to talk about it. The MLP funds are very useful
since they convert the MLP's K-1 income into classical form 1099-Div
income.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Spaceman Spiff wrote:75 years old.  We've had 3 meetings in the last 3 months.  The last one he tells me he can't understand my proposal, can't figure out how much it costs, and can't see any reason why he would move to me just to buy different mutual funds.  He wants to do ETFs instead. China, Oil and Gas, Energy, and FTSE.  He read a book on them so now he's an expert.  I can't stand people like that...they make me nuts...

STL Sucks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-03-11

I hate to break this to you, but the client is right. Lets see what your proposing: You should pay me $16,250 for our three meetings and I am going to replace your current mutual funds with the two mutual fund families I am schlepping. For the 16k I get a different allocation from what I had, that has built up to $650,000, which is more money that you have. ALSO, I am 75 so my life expectancy is about 6 years. He should take 1/2 his money and but a portfolio of etf's.

CIBforeveryone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-12

Spiff, you do seem to be awakening a bit. This is what happened to me.
You will be more competitive with a real fee-based platform (I'm not convinced Jones will give you one). It truly demonstrates that your recommendations are unbiased when you are not paid better to recommend one product over another, and the client will see that.
And Spiked...from what I hear..."it is going to blow the doors off of the industry." (Just like A share annuities did, right?)
Spiff, keep your eyes open. You will be amazed what you start to see if you are just willing to. I am sure glad I did. 

AllREIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-12-16

STL Sucks wrote:You should pay me $16,250 for our three meetings and I
am going to replace your current mutual funds with the two mutual fund
families I am schlepping.

An additional issue is very likely that none/few of the funds in the
EDJ lineup are sexy or meet his percieved needs (*). Clearly Spiff,
didn't show that he could deliver more than $16,250 of value to this
client.

(*) GFA/CIB are the perfect investments for everyone.

Someone in his situation has a set of needs, and needs investments that
will match those needs. In the initial sales call, you want figure out
what the clients explicit needs are (e.g needs that the client verbally
states).

So you ask if his current investments provide enough income, what his
goals are, how his life would be different if he could meet his goals
etc.

Then you match investments (benefits) to explicitly stated needs.

A typical older person needs income oriented investments with strong
diversification to lower portfolio volatilty. Some folks really want
very strong and direct exposure to non-US assets. Other people are
crazy for hard assets/natural resources.

Using just two EDJ Fund families is like trying to paint the Mona Lisa
with only orange and red crayons. I.e in the entire EDJ universe there
is only one TIPS fund, and damn few good value/international offerings.

Then again, the fact that he mentioned the FTSE suggests that he may
have caught the vanguard virus, and is now pretty much immune to your
blandishments. Vanguard offers a FTSE All-world x-US ETF (VEU) for only
25 bps. Or maybe he wanted the FTSE RAFI index funds from powershares.

If the client wants to invest in china, you want to have something
useful to say. If the client wants Oil/Gas you want something useful to
say. If the client wants Gold you want something useful to say.

But if all you can say is "Growth Fund of America!", then you aren't
saying anything useful that sophisticated clients want to hear.

AGE_Inside_Info's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-03

I have seen many an EJ brokers $500-$1,000,000 proposals. Most that make
zero to little use of proper breakpoints and suggest A-shares of 7 preferred
fund families.

This screws people so badly on the upront fees that there is no point in
moving it out of Jones.

I'm surprised the SEC doesn't crack down on EJ's illegal use of A-shares. I
told one victim what a breakpoint was, and she just about screamed.

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

Spiff, I could say something sarcastic..but man, I feeeeel your pain.  I took it very personal when something like this happened.  I felt inferior, like a schlump.  It made my calls sound terrible...I was pissed and down on myself.  Started second guessing myself.  I'd go to meetings and some new guy who took over an office would brag about all he was getting and he won his first trip...blah blah blah.  All this crap just built up to the point I didn't believe ANYTHING coming from my RL, home office, anywhere. It was the end.

CIBforeveryone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-12

AGE_Inside_Info wrote:I have seen many an EJ brokers $500-$1,000,000 proposals. Most that make zero to little use of proper breakpoints and suggest A-shares of 7 preferred fund families. This screws people so badly on the upront fees that there is no point in moving it out of Jones. I'm surprised the SEC doesn't crack down on EJ's illegal use of A-shares. I told one victim what a breakpoint was, and she just about screamed.
This is not normal at EJ. Jones advisors in general use breakpoints to the clients' and their own detriment. You will not convince me otherwise.
And yes, CIB for everyone!
 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

CIBforeveryone wrote:
AGE_Inside_Info wrote:I have seen many an EJ brokers $500-$1,000,000 proposals. Most that make zero to little use of proper breakpoints and suggest A-shares of 7 preferred fund families. This screws people so badly on the upront fees that there is no point in moving it out of Jones. I'm surprised the SEC doesn't crack down on EJ's illegal use of A-shares. I told one victim what a breakpoint was, and she just about screamed.
This is not normal at EJ. Jones advisors in general use breakpoints to the clients' and their own detriment. You will not convince me otherwise.
And yes, CIB for everyone!
 

CIB? I know the "In Butt" part, but what does the "C" stand for?

AllREIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-12-16

AGE_Inside_Info wrote:I have seen many an EJ brokers $500-$1,000,000 proposals. Most that make
zero to little use of proper breakpoints and suggest A-shares of 7 preferred
fund families.

This screws people so badly on the upront fees that there is no point in
moving it out of Jones.

I'm surprised the SEC doesn't crack down on EJ's illegal use of A-shares. I
told one victim what a breakpoint was, and she just about screamed.

The classic presentation is to

1) Use two preferred fund families to split up money, away from the break points.
2) Buy some bonds
3) Buy a Dow stock so you  have something to talk about.

If you play your cards right it would take well over $1M in client assets to hit any break points

Baller's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-06

Bobby Hull wrote:CIBforeveryone wrote:
AGE_Inside_Info wrote:I have seen many an EJ brokers $500-$1,000,000 proposals. Most that make zero to little use of proper breakpoints and suggest A-shares of 7 preferred fund families. This screws people so badly on the upront fees that there is no point in moving it out of Jones. I'm surprised the SEC doesn't crack down on EJ's illegal use of A-shares. I told one victim what a breakpoint was, and she just about screamed.
This is not normal at EJ. Jones advisors in general use breakpoints to the clients' and their own detriment. You will not convince me otherwise.
And yes, CIB for everyone!
 

CIB? I know the "In Butt" part, but what does the "C" stand for?

Rhymes with Rock.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

CIBforeveryone wrote:
AGE_Inside_Info wrote:I have seen many an EJ brokers $500-$1,000,000 proposals. Most that make zero to little use of proper breakpoints and suggest A-shares of 7 preferred fund families. This screws people so badly on the upront fees that there is no point in moving it out of Jones. I'm surprised the SEC doesn't crack down on EJ's illegal use of A-shares. I told one victim what a breakpoint was, and she just about screamed.
This is not normal at EJ. Jones advisors in general use breakpoints to the clients' and their own detriment. You will not convince me otherwise.
And yes, CIB for everyone!
 

 
And all this time I though the name meant Combat Infantryman's Badge.....

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Baller wrote:Bobby Hull wrote:CIBforeveryone wrote:
AGE_Inside_Info wrote:I have seen many an EJ brokers $500-$1,000,000 proposals. Most that make zero to little use of proper breakpoints and suggest A-shares of 7 preferred fund families. This screws people so badly on the upront fees that there is no point in moving it out of Jones. I'm surprised the SEC doesn't crack down on EJ's illegal use of A-shares. I told one victim what a breakpoint was, and she just about screamed.
This is not normal at EJ. Jones advisors in general use breakpoints to the clients' and their own detriment. You will not convince me otherwise.
And yes, CIB for everyone!
 

CIB? I know the "In Butt" part, but what does the "C" stand for?

Rhymes with Rock.

Good. I was afraid that it might rhyme with "rum."

advisor28's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-04

 
EDJ FEE Based....As I have heard it will resemble R shares for the 8 preferred fund families. (Quite the Platform) 

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

AllREIT wrote: AGE_Inside_Info wrote:I have seen many an EJ brokers $500-$1,000,000 proposals. Most that make zero to little use of proper breakpoints and suggest A-shares of 7 preferred fund families. This screws people so badly on the upront fees that there is no point in moving it out of Jones. I'm surprised the SEC doesn't crack down on EJ's illegal use of A-shares. I told one victim what a breakpoint was, and she just about screamed.The classic presentation is to1) Use two preferred fund families to split up money, away from the break points.2) Buy some bonds 3) Buy a Dow stock so you  have something to talk about. If you play your cards right it would take well over $1M in client assets to hit any break points
Actually from what I've seen we (Jones FAs) tend to use breakpoints much better than anyone else out there.  I can't tell  you how many $250K B share portfolios I've run into.  Most of them coming from Amex, but several others from AGE and even Merrill.  I've always thought that a broker that uses B shares on that dollar amount is just too scared to tell the clients that he gets paid to do his job.  So he hides behind the you don't pay any sales charges on B shares scam.  Or he says he can build a better portfolio by using 9 different fund families.  However, he wants to get paid better than C shares. 
AGE you're, well...lying.  Sorry, I know it's harsh, but too bad. First, compliance wouldn't let an account like that fly. They freak when you get above 2.  Second, it would be incredibly rare for any of us to use all 8 fund families.  Most of us have 3, maybe 4, that we use most of the time.  Maybe you've seen it once, but not frequently.  The "illegal use of A shares" comment is just flat wrong.  Maybe you were thinking about our illegal use of revenue sharing.
AllREIT is pretty close to standard at Jones.  We have a pattern, just like everywhere else.  B shares at AMEX, C shares at AGE, wrap everything at Merrill.  Bobby does annuities.  Doesn't make ours a bad presentation.  As long as we can make the returns our clients are looking for I don't see why it matters how many fund families we use or if we use options or ETFs or gold.  Where do they want to be and how much risk/return will it take to get there.  Manage the portfolio to meet the goals. 

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

Spiff-
You wrote...
Maybe you were thinking about our illegal use of revenue sharing.
It sounds like you are finally getting it.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

No, just a little attempt at humor.  Revenue sharing isn't illegal.  We certainly know how to use it to our benefit.  Evidently the regulators felt that our lack of disclosure (and of everyone else who didn't hurry up and put some disclaimer on their website) wasn't up to par.  If it was illegal, we couldn't do it anymore.  Let's not rehash this again, please. 
Trust me people, I get it.  I know there are things I'm giving up by staying at Jones.  I like it here.  A lot of you didn't.  I'm hoping that there are some changes in the near future that make my job easier and better for my current and future clients.
 
 
 
 

advisor28's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-04

Spiff,
I was on the leadership team in my region and past advisor of Jones, one thing I didn't enjoy was having to prospect new people every month because of no reaccuring revenue (I had 12 gross monthly in A share trails).  This ultimatley took time away from my best clients so insurance planning and estate issues were out the window due to the required hunting each month.  I just cant believe EDJ is using the term financial advisor, I think asset gatherer is more appropriate.  Just a thought...if you and your clients are happy then all is well.
 

advisor28's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-04

Correction to last reply $9,200 monthly trails 

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

Spiff-
Were you around when we were encouraged to NAV to Hartford because of revenue sharing and how it impacted our bonuses?
And were you around when we found out some 6-7 years later that the GP's owned an income interest (sounds like LP) in the Hartford Mutual Funds. And how did we find out...when they were forced to disclose it on the website! When revenue sharing issues came out, Jones management deserved to pay every penny of the SEC settlement.
Dude...The conflict is so glaring you have been blinded. While maybe not illegal since everyone else does it (NOT), probably one of the most unethical tactics ever used in the industry to manipulate brokers.
I was a successful Jones broker who left and I did it to mainitain my integrity. The stench of management was more than I could take. I was sick every time I represented the firm in public, because I knew the truth. I worked for a bunch of hypocrites. Don't tell me never to rehash the truth.
The reason...is you can't handle the truth.
 

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

Spiff is getting wooosy with all the blows. Take one on the chin for your friends the GP's and maybe, just maybe, they'll bring you aboard the gravy train. 
 
 
 
OR NOT!!

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

I've been at Jones for over 10 years.  I've heard the conversations about using Hartford or Goldman or Federated when it mattered to our P&L statements and therefore our bonuses.  I know some people looked at it and some didn't.  I know of one large producer who is no longer with the firm who made a wholesale change to Hartford from American because of revenue sharing.  You are correct that it was a bad practice.  I'm not going to argue with you.  I prefer the setup we have now.
Are you telling me you REALLY cared that the GPs had a stake in Hartford?  Or was it just one more thing to put in your "I hate Jones" scrapbook?  I found it interesting, but I can't say I was shocked.  I don't use a lot of Hartford funds anyway, so I guess it didn't really matter to me.  I don't think it made my blood pressure go up like it evidently did yours. 
I have yet to find a major player in our industry that doesn't do revenue sharing.  We do have a smaller list than everyone else, however.  Maybe that's the difference.  So maybe technically I can't use the word "all", but I'm awfully darn close. 
As far as I can tell there are only three groups of people who really care about revenue sharing.  First, GPs because that's where a lot of their income comes from.  Second, our compliance officers because they have to ask about it everytime they visit our offices.  And third, ex-Jones brokers who always bring it up as one of the major reasons they left and why Jones is evil. 
My clients care about three things:  Their goals, their returns, and contact from me like I promised.  They have a difficult enough time trying to figure out how to save money, much less trying to figure out how Jones makes money. 

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

advisor28 wrote:
Spiff,
I was on the leadership team in my region and past advisor of Jones, one thing I didn't enjoy was having to prospect new people every month because of no reaccuring revenue (I had 12 gross monthly in A share trails).  This ultimatley took time away from my best clients so insurance planning and estate issues were out the window due to the required hunting each month.  I just cant believe EDJ is using the term financial advisor, I think asset gatherer is more appropriate.  Just a thought...if you and your clients are happy then all is well.
 

Really?  You ran a $50 million office (based on your $9200/month trails) and you couldn't do insurance or estate planning?  Not even on your best clients?  Now, I know those issues can be time consuming, but it's not like you have to do it more than once for your best clients.  And you really don't have to do much work.  C'mon.  You've got to find a better excuse than prospecting for not doing the timeblocking to get everything done.  At $50 million I would expect that referrals were a large part of your business.  I don't buy it. 
I don't know why you don't believe we're FAs.  Is there something that we should be doing that we're not doing now?  Retirement planning, estate planning, college planning, LTC planning, cash flow analysis, asset allocation models, investment planning, income planning.  I know I've missed some.  What part of that doesn't make us financial advisors? 

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

UH...how about 65 year bonds paying 4.77%..net 3

Philo Kvetch's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-17

What's wrong with bonds? If they're viewed as a vehicle for long term capital
gain coupled with safety of principal and a regular dividend, I fail to see the
problem.

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

Space-
I can hear a conversation of yours to an attorney.
" I know we are part of a dirty industry that does unethical things, but I can't control what my management does, and the seven preferred families are relatively good fund families, so I don't have a conflict because I don't receive any of the money directly just indirectly. All my clients care about is performance and that I call them regularly.
Spiff....Jones is perfect for you.  Please don't leave. They need happy ostriches.

advisor28's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-04

Spiff,
Take a look at your current households and accounts, do you really see every client quarterly or semi-annually? What are the size of your avg households?  You will end up as many vets that were in my region if your as successful as you should be at 10-15 years in the biz, 3,000 accounts and 1,200 households (This is what the Jones Model is built to do).  You will have pages of bond calls which as a new IR you dream of however becomes a nightmare for a vet down the road. Can you honestly tell me your clients are benefiting from your advisory services?  Jones has those capabilities you listed above, my point is the way the model is devised you can't sustain seg 5 numbers and sit with all of your clients, and by the way your adding 10 more next month...so then you goodknight, which I did and it becomes an endless cycle of revolving door clients.  If you honestly read through your household list of clients your memory would start to fade on page 10.
 

AllREIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-12-16

Quote:Are you telling me you REALLY cared that the GPs had a
stake in Hartford?  Or was it just one more thing to put
in your "I hate Jones" scrapbook?  I found it interesting, but I
can't say I was shocked.  I don't use a lot
of Hartford funds anyway, so I guess it didn't really matter
to me.  I don't think it made my blood pressure go up like it
evidently did yours. 

Did the clients fully understand that both EDJ and you had a personal stake in hartford funds above and beyond the standard A-share comission.

Did they understand how that relationship could influence your
recomendations in going with a Hartford fund vs funds from another
family?

Quote:I have yet to find a major player in our industry that
doesn't do revenue sharing.  We do have a smaller list than
everyone else, however.  Maybe that's the difference.  So
maybe technically I can't
use the word "all", but I'm awfully darn close.
I don't think anyone else in the industry gets as large a %age of income from revenue sharing.

When AF funds perform poorly, a la Magellan etc, EDJ is going to be
in a world of hurt as clients pull out of AF and EDJ as well.
Quote:As far as I can tell there are only three groups of people
who really care about revenue sharing.  First, GPs because
that's where a lot of their income comes from.  Second, our
compliance officers because they have to ask about it everytime they
visit our offices.  And third, ex-Jones brokers who always bring
it up as one of the major reasons they left and why Jones is evil.

Clients have a latent interest in it. Because it could color your suggestions away from their best interests.

Quote:My clients care about three things:  Their goals, their
returns, and contact from me like I promised.  They have a
difficult enough time trying to figure out how to save money, much less
trying to figure out how Jones makes money. 

Revenue sharing pollutes the quality of the advice that you offer. You are like an 8 color VGA monitor in the age of flat panel plasma displays.

AllREIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-12-16

Philo Kvetch wrote:What's wrong with bonds? If they're viewed as a vehicle for long term capital
gain coupled with safety of principal and a regular dividend, I fail to see the
problem.

Cause EDJ tends to only sell long bonds which are not terribly appropriate for many clients.

Yet another latent risk for EDJ,. b/c if interest rates should rise,
clients will not be please to see thier 30 year debentures trading at
83.

advisor28's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-04

 
AllREIT,
There is a lot of truth to your bond statement which is undeniable among past and current EDJ reps.

Philo Kvetch's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-17

AllREIT wrote:
Philo Kvetch wrote:What's wrong with bonds? If they're viewed as a
vehicle for long term capital
gain coupled with safety of principal and a regular dividend, I fail to see
the
problem.

Cause EDJ tends to only sell long bonds which are not terribly appropriate
for many clients.

Yet another latent risk for EDJ,. b/c if interest rates should rise,
clients will not be please to see thier 30 year debentures trading at
83.

And if interest rates fall?

advisor28's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-04

Philo,
Now that we all have been enlightened by the opposite effects of Rates and Price... I think the point lies in the motivation of which long term bonds are sold not in whether they have a place in portfolios if the client is educated ahead of time.  If you like I can put this into deep south terms: You buy your milk cow for the milk, if the price of beef goes up you don't kill your milk cow.
Enjoy.............

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×