Skip navigation

The crash of November 2004

or Register to post new content in the forum

14 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Nov 17, 2006 7:26 pm

Doe’s anyone remember the huge communications crash Jones had in November 2004. All communications out for a week right around this time. Just think some of their offices still use the same back-up comsat. Yes, I know they will all get T-1 but it’s been two years and they still don’t all have it. For those newer IRs who haven’t heard about this ask your RL, I’m sure he remembers it. <!–
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//–>

Nov 17, 2006 8:51 pm

When they installed my satellite dish, it was next to a small tree. Well, that tree didn't stay small for long.  One day our system was down, and we finally realized the tree was blocking the dish!  So, every spring we had to "prune" the tree. Nice.

And yes, I do remember the weeklong outage.  I was segment 2 at the time, so I was basically at the back of the line to get it fixed.  Our regional leader wanted us to take a bond inventory sheet and go door knocking with it. 

"That's great you want to buy this bond Mr. Client, let me just open your account over your phone, this will only take about half an hour.  While we're waiting, Mr. Client, do you mind turning on your computer, I'd like to see what the market is doing." <1 hour later> "I'm sorry Mr. Client, that bond is sold out, but I do have my ICA guide handy..."

Nov 17, 2006 9:08 pm

Yes I remember it very well. Especially the 12AM appt with the technician who repointed the dish. It was not a good time for the firm. The t-1 still isn’t in my branch, someday though soon. Maybe after email!

Nov 17, 2006 9:40 pm

I remember it well! It lead right up to the regional Christmas party for us! We were all one big happy Jones family that Friday night since all the offices had finally been brought back on to the green screen system in time for us all to go in and work a Saturday morning promo!

Boy am I glad to be indy.

Nov 18, 2006 1:09 am

Have T-1, have e-mail, satellite now just for broadcasts.

Why would you just bring that up?  Aren't you happy enough to just move on and get over it?  Or do you feel the need to try and sour everyone on Jones because you couldn't hack it?

Move on.

Nov 18, 2006 4:25 am

We shouldn’t crow over a firm’s technology misfortune.  There but for the Grace of God goes any one of us.  Aside from that, it’s not the firm who suffered most in that instance, but rather the brokers whose livlihood depends upon that system.

Nov 18, 2006 4:32 pm

While we're bitching about tech, LPL did me no favor today.  I scheduled a rare Saturday appointment only to come in this morning and discover this message at the sign-on screen:

The BranchNet system will be unavailable this Saturday, 11/18/06. from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (EST), for the upgrade enhancements for Business Centric BranchNet. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause on Saturday.   Thanks for the warning guys...an email would have been nice.  I guess I'll copy the statements and get all the account information and then call these people back in to sign documents.  They'll tell me that they put a notice somewhere on the system, but I think that's crap.  Send us an advance broadcast email specifically about the outage...is that so damn hard?!!!   They're still a good firm...I guess this is just further proof that no firm is perfect.
Nov 18, 2006 6:35 pm

[quote=Indyone]

While we’re bitching about tech, LPL did me no favor today.  I scheduled a rare Saturday appointment only to come in this morning and discover this message at the sign-on screen:

The BranchNet system will be unavailable this Saturday, 11/18/06. from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (EST), for the upgrade enhancements for Business Centric BranchNet. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause on Saturday.   Thanks for the warning guys...an email would have been nice.  I guess I'll copy the statements and get all the account information and then call these people back in to sign documents.  They'll tell me that they put a notice somewhere on the system, but I think that's crap.  Send us an advance broadcast email specifically about the outage...is that so damn hard?!!!   They're still a good firm...I guess this is just further proof that no firm is perfect.[/quote]

I hear you that must be frustrating.  Did you try to sign in?  I have been using it on and off all morning and it's worked fine.

Not that this will make you feel any better, but there was a notice on the "welcome" page all week, right in the center.
Nov 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Not working for me...I can't even get to a sign-on.  Truthfully, there's so much on the main page, it's easy to miss stuff.  If they can broadcast email a weekly newsletter to all of us, they can broadcast email a reminder warning.  Rest assured, I'll be more diligent going forward.

...now I'm even more pissed...why is it working for you and not me?!!!

Nov 18, 2006 6:50 pm

[quote=Indyone]

Not working for me…I can’t even get to a sign-on.  Truthfully, there’s so much on the main page, it’s easy to miss stuff.  If they can broadcast email a weekly newsletter to all of us, they can broadcast email a reminder warning.  Rest assured, I’ll be more diligent going forward.

[/quote]

weird.

maybe because i was signed in before they took down the "front page"?

that's what they're changing over the weekend.

don't know.

jg
Nov 18, 2006 6:51 pm

[quote=Indyone]

[/quote]

Maybe I'm just special?

I understand how it must be frustrating.  Just the same I get enough mail and email thankyouverymuch, so I'd vote "no thanks".
Nov 20, 2006 3:09 pm

Broker-

Thanks for the reminder that I need to move on. It isn't healthy to re-live a bad relationship. You sound as sensitive as my former regional leader. Slap you on the back, invite you over for cards and drinks, and then tell everyone who cares that I left because I could not hack it. A real friend indeed.

For the record I talk to several of my former colleagues, they don't yet have the tools you do, except email. But they can not yet send attachments, like s&p reports. So how useful is it really?

Nov 20, 2006 4:06 pm

I guess I’m officially over my weekend snit…the new LPL dashboard is nice.

Nov 20, 2006 6:17 pm

[quote=Indyone]I guess I’m officially over my weekend snit…the new LPL dashboard is nice.[/quote]

Glad you’re feeling better.