Comp Grids

25 replies [Last post]
Dewey Cheatham's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-01
thebanker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-28

What about BAC and WFI?

Player's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-08

Dewey Cheatham & Howe.....you must work for Edward Jones
I noticed you forgot about the indy firms?   
Payout too high?

zacko's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-01

This thread will likely be pulled since you posted a competitors link info. 
So, read it while you can!

zacko's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-01

Damn, The jones payout sent chills down my spine--even though I've been gone for 2 years!

frumhere's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-22

I guess Jones doesn't do managed money.

BrokerRecruit's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-19

It almost seems like a disclaimer at the bottom of the print article under the Jones payout, trying to make things sound better than they actually are.

advisor1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-01-19

remember in 2002, 2001 Edward Jones did not pay any bonus

compliancejerk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-03

....or offered a LP since 2000, but plenty of GP offerings.

CIBforeveryone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-12

Is this the one that inclues "profit" as a piece of Jones' compensation? What a joke! As of they gave every dollar of "profit" back to the IR.
 

BrokerRecruit's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-19

They also failed to include the trips in the compensation.

advisor1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-01-19

The reason the trips are not included is because eventhough Edward Jones sells them to the broker as compensation they really are paid by the Vendors through revenue sharing. Therefore, if you receive a trip you pay tax on it and it is included in your w-2 wages but in is not compensation.

Maxstud's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-29

Player wrote:
Dewey Cheatham & Howe.....you must work for Edward Jones
I noticed you forgot about the indy firms?   
Payout too high?

 
16 firms listed and Edward Jones is the only one you care about, Dewey never mentioned EDJ.  Maybe its you that cant get away from EDJ?

Incredible Hulk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-24

advisor1 wrote: The reason the trips are not included is because eventhough Edward Jones sells them to the broker as compensation they really are paid by the Vendors through revenue sharing. Therefore, if you receive a trip you pay tax on it and it is included in your w-2 wages but in is not compensation.

Incredible Hulk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-24

The Vendors pay $500 of the average $5400 per trip. Less than 10%. It is charged as taxable income because it is beneficial for the company's taxes. I'm sorry you didn't do enough production to earn one while you were there advisor1.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Incredible Hulk wrote:The Vendors pay $500 of the average $5400 per trip. Less than 10%. It is charged as taxable income because it is beneficial for the company's taxes. I'm sorry you didn't do enough production to earn one while you were there advisor1.
Tell the truth, how long before Jones has to dump the contest trips, aren't they really an embarrassment and a compliance nightmare waiting to happen? Why would anyone want their employer to “reward“ them with a trip (not of their choosing as to timing and destination) instead of cold hard cash they can spend as they desire? Are there work related meetings or is it all personal time, just in a cult format? What would your customers say if they learned you “earned” a trip from (among other things) selling them this mutual fund over that one?

compliancejerk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-03

Why would anyone compare the firm in question to a cult (sarcasm!)

Incredible Hulk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-24

It's a diversification trip. You have to hit $107k production in 6 mos. In addition, you have to hit specific dollar amounts in 4 categories that Jones calls Growth, G/I, taxable income, taxfree income, or insurance(LTC&Life). You can also get someone hired to hit one.The idea is that you "diversify" your clients (or at least your book) through the different categories. As to timing and destination, there are about a dozen trips with 3-7 different weeks you can go. Your choice, also if you dont want a trip, you can cash it in. There are group meetings for Jones and the vendor buys a couple hour session for chipping in their $500. I was just getting some advice on what to do while I'm in Oahu earlier this week from a client.

bankrep1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-02

Almost every business has trips for their sales force.  Make no mistake your a salesman.  I don't see why any client would care if I won a trip for being a top producer and I have they are alot of fun.  I was never awarded for selling this or that, just for being in the top echelon.

Revealer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-13

"Diversification" trip? What a joke. I can see it now...let's go through my book to sell X$ of annuities to meet the criteria. Let's do it again to sell X$ of G&I (read ICA) to meet the criteria. Repeat until everyone is "diversified". Go on trip. Gloat about it. Repeat in 6 months. Last trip I was on was production based NOT product based. I save my paper clip, postage, cleaning serv $$ and buy my own trips. I suppose you jones guys can clean your own offices and accomplish the same thing. Quit kidding yourselves! 

noggin's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-30

Revealer wrote:"Diversification" trip? What a joke. I can see it now...let's go through my book to sell X$ of annuities to meet the criteria. Let's do it again to sell X$ of G&I (read ICA) to meet the criteria. Repeat until everyone is "diversified". Go on trip. Gloat about it. Repeat in 6 months. Last trip I was on was production based NOT product based. I save my paper clip, postage, cleaning serv $$ and buy my own trips. I suppose you jones guys can clean your own offices and accomplish the same thing. Quit kidding yourselves! 
Cmon now revealer...You complain about diversification trips and then you say that it should be production based. It is.

zacko's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-01

The bar is set fairly low to win the trips...107,500k every six months wins the trip provided you diversify your clients.
I wouldn't call it production based--but in a firm where the average broker has 3-4 yrs experience, I'd say the production target is about right if they want alot of people to attend.
Since the payouts and benefits suck, they should be throwing in a lot more than a trip every six months.  I'm sure most will agree.  But, for a 3 year broker going to Hawaii or Skiing in Breck--well i'm sure it's the best thing since sliced bread. 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

bankrep1 wrote:
  I don't see why any client would care if I won a trip for being a top producer and I have they are alot of fun. 
Ask your clients how they'd feel about you going on a "sales contest trip", which is what diversification trips are.

jonesnewbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-08

mikebutler222 wrote:Ask your clients how they'd feel about you going on a "sales contest trip", which is what diversification trips are.
So how did your clients feel about you going to Britney Spears on their dime?
NASD Fines Morgan Stanley $2 Million for Prohibited Mutual Fund Sales Contests
Managing Director of Firm's Retail Sales Force Also Fined for Supervisory Violations
Washington, DC — NASD announced today that it had censured and fined Morgan Stanley DW Inc. $2 million for conducting prohibited sales contests for its brokers and managers to promote the sale of Morgan Stanley mutual funds and a selected few variable annuities. Between October 1999 and December 2002, the firm conducted 29 contests, and offered or awarded various forms of non-cash compensation to the winners, including tickets to Britney Spears and Rolling Stones concerts, tickets to the NBA finals, tuition for a high-performance automobile racing school, and trips to resorts.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

jonesnewbie wrote:
mikebutler222 wrote:Ask your clients how they'd feel about you going on a "sales contest trip", which is what diversification trips are.
So how did your clients feel about you going to Britney Spears on their dime?
NASD Fines Morgan Stanley $2 Million for Prohibited Mutual Fund Sales Contests
Managing Director of Firm's Retail Sales Force Also Fined for Supervisory Violations
Washington, DC — NASD announced today that it had censured and fined Morgan Stanley DW Inc. $2 million for conducting prohibited sales contests for its brokers and managers to promote the sale of Morgan Stanley mutual funds and a selected few variable annuities. Between October 1999 and December 2002, the firm conducted 29 contests, and offered or awarded various forms of non-cash compensation to the winners, including tickets to Britney Spears and Rolling Stones concerts, tickets to the NBA finals, tuition for a high-performance automobile racing school, and trips to resorts.

That's exactly right, it was an embarrassment. The firm deserved every penny it paid in fines and the head of retail was fired. Then a year or two later some regional guy in the Northeast did the same thing, MS was fined again the regional SM was fired. Now, if you say the word “contest” the compliance types are on you like white on rice.
It's a shame Jones continues the practice to this day.
I wonder how you figured that case, and that fine was some how justification for what Jones still does….

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Oops, correction. The regional issue and the national contests were both wrapped up into this fine. BTW, just as bad was the fact that at the time MS brokers were paid more to sell MS funds than those of other families. Sound familiar?

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×