Annual Brokerage Report Card

36 replies [Last post]
Butkus's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-11-10

EJ is #1 for the 15th straight year, with a score of 9.5. AG Edwards is 2nd with a score of 8.7.

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

Damn, and to think I sat by the phone waiting for the interviewers to call.  I would have shed some light on their lovely scorecard.  I bet my comments would have put them at 10.

Roadhard's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

Can I go to bed now?  Like Bspears I waited for 15 years to get that call at Jones and nothing--Did Jim get a call?????

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

I doubt Jim has time to talk on the phone.  He can't get away from his car magazines long enough to make a statement.

Butkus's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-11-10

The Pittsburg Pirates haven't had a winning season for 15 years. I wonder if anyone in that organization makes fun of competition like the Atlanta Braves, who won the division for 11 straight years.
I believe 50 brokers are called at each firm each year, which would currently be less than 0.5% of those at EJ. Obviously most would never be contacted.

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

So less than 50 brokers think they're almost great....wheww...I'm now impressed.  I don't get your baseball analogy...it would have been better to say.."the Atlanta Braves players rated their baseball club 9.5 on a scale of 10"...Which means what??? and the Pirates rated their club an 8 out of 10...which means what???  Pretty much..NOTHING...Maybe the Braves pay for a stip club membership...it would get my vote.
 
Now I would be impressed if they surveyed maybe 5k of brokers working at Jones and or anyother brokerages...and if the number was still 9.5...I would THEN be impressed.  I believe the names are handpicked...maybe not...but not a significant number to me.

exdrone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-01

I cant compete with these guys.  I mean if the IRFA's in my town didn't throw be a bone every once in a while, my family would starve.  Thank you for your generosity and kindness and congratulations on this prestigious accomplishment.

exdrone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-01

Butkus wrote:EJ is #1 for the 15th straight year, with a score of 9.5. AG Edwards is 2nd with a score of 8.7.
 
I just had to see those numbers again.  Simply amazing........what an accomplishment. 
 
I am truly humbled.  Again, congratulations.

Roadhard's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

Take that No 1 ranking in RR--A ranking made by your own employees (You do get a W-2 because you don't own your book or your branch) and tell all your client's how great you ranked yourself--I'm sure they will be impressed!  What a joke!  What isn't a joke is getting paid 90% instead of 40% or if you are in a B or C share at Jones 35%.  What impresses clients is the fact we don't charge 2% like Jones to reinvest their dividends or $75 to set up a TOD--we do it for free because it is the right thing to do...then when the client dies you hit up the estate for another $200 to execute the TOD!  Get a life! 

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

Oh yea...wait till they get that thing called fee based accts....10 here we come...yahoooo....

munytalks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-17

Gather around children and I will tell you a story.  It's about a someone who used to be known as an I.R. who belonged to a special group of people called Leadership Team.....
One day this I.R. was visiting a Castle owned and occupied by giants called General Partners.  The Giants were having a special meeting which they held every other monday in a special room.  The Giants would discuss all the L.P.'s (Little People) who lived in their kingdom. Sometimes they would say Good things, sometimes they would say very VERY bad things .... If Bad things were said, the L.P. would then somehow disappear..... Anyway, during this meeting, one of the Giants whose name was Tiny Tim, said "WE MUST SUBMIT THE NAMES OF SELECT I.R.'S TO THE RANKING SERVICE AGAIN- WHO WOULD YOU NOMINATE?"   And all the Giants began to talk excitedly about the L.P.'s in their Region who would say the nicest things about the Kingdom.  

This was a tradition that was done every year. 

Aftwards, all the Giants would mix a large batch of special Green Kool-Aid and everyone would drink it until they all felt like forming a big group hug and they would sing Kum Bay Ya.....

The moral of the story boys and girls is that even when it's in Print- for 15 years- there's still Giants who write the verses and Kool-aid driving the forces.....and Little People who don't say good things ....... disappear..... just like magic.

compliancejerk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-03

Butkus wrote:I believe 50 brokers are called at each firm each year, which would currently be less than 0.5% of those at EJ. Obviously most would never be contacted.
 
From this website we get the following information:

Methodology: How this Survey Was Conducted
Registered Rep. commissioned J.D. Power and Associates to conduct its Annual Broker Report Card Study this year. Reps were randomly selected from the subscriber list of this magazine. Similar to previous years, advisors were required to have at least one year in production at one of the seven firms evaluated in the study. The research was conducted by Internet and phone in September and October 2006. Sample sizes range from 72 to 201 by firm. The total sample size for all firms is 920.

Too bad those boys in green can't comprehend what they read.    

Roadhard's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

Munytalks

exdrone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-07-01

Numbers dont lie.
IRFA's dont lie.
Edward Jones is the best everyone else sucks.  RR, JD Power, and GP dont lie.  Deal with it and stop being jealous.  I finally accepted it and am now a much happier person.

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

HAPPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY....I had my wife call me and interview me on my own firm.  Guess what ...a perfect 10.  F u EDJ's...I got a 10. 
 
Munytalks, back in the day...that type of meeting would have been called a circle jerk. 

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

Signing off for the weekend fella's.  Its been a hoot reporting outside the cult camp this week.  Hope you all have a great weekend and lets get back to battle the green machine bright and early Monday morning.  Kum By Ya..Kum By Ya....

Roadhard's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

I feel da luv--buy

munytalks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-17

 
Munytalks, back in the day...that type of meeting would have been called a circle jerk. 
 
 
Well, I DID point out that the meeting was run by General Partners, soooooo- you're right. You get the prize. I will be sending you a key ring or door mat...

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

Muny-
 
I still have my framed picture of Doug Hill. Seems appropriate as a gag gift!

Roadhard's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

You are the greatest sales force in the world! Now sale more so I can make more to catch up those millions I lost on my fine! Doug!

footsoldier's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-30

I couldn't help but notice that the RR award recognizing Jones for ethics. Check out the gall of GP's thread. What a farce.

Indyone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-30

For the life of me, I can't understand how John Deere Power runs these surveys and posts the results with a straight face.  All these results indicate is a normal level of satisfaction with increased independence.  Choose three firms...one that forces proprietary products and treats employees like indentured servants, Edward Jones, and a random independent firm (like mine or joedabrkr & associates).  The results will very likely show that the more freedom there is, the more satisfaction there is.
 
Edward Jones continues to win these surveys because their business model is closer to independence than the other firms surveyed.  Period.  That model is still a long way from the level of satisfaction I get as a true independent.

newnew's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

great point. But if you're GONNA be at a firm....

Morphius's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-21

Indyone wrote: 
Edward Jones continues to win these surveys because their business model is closer to independence than the other firms surveyed.  Period.  That model is still a long way from the level of satisfaction I get as a true independent.I agree and disagree.I agree that EDJ's outward APPEARANCE with little offfices on the local corner has a more independent look & feel than most firms.I disagree that their actual model is closer to independence.  On the contrary, they have far more limits on what the may or may not offer clients than just about any firm I can think of.  I understand your point with regards to this survey and think it's a valid one, mainly because the EDJ'ers themselves seem to believe they are almost independent because they work alone in their small corner offices.But in reality they are nowhere near independence. 

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

Great point Morphius.

advisorman's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-14

Edward Jones win these surveys because they do a better job of doing what it takes to win these surveys. The surveys are not all crooked and they are not all perfect either.
 
It is marketing and Edward Jones is pretty good at winning awards. Not sure if it has anything to do with their business model but they do a great job of convincing the world that their FAs are local business people who work at the community level.
 
We all need to remember that "perception is reality" to most people.

MISS JONES's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-08-28

I love Jones and all.. But seriously.. I do wonder who they interview for these reports. I don't personally know anyone that they have called and asked these questions to. I know that I would agree with most of the scores but I do wonder. 
 
I also know that may people on this forum are for a lack of a better term "Jones hatters" but in all it is a great firm.  Everyone knows that- because at one point many of you worked here.  Jones still has a LONG way to go to get respect in the Financial Service industry but at the end of the day- I don't care. I like working here. It fits my personality and I don't have a book of business to be moved yet so.. Here I am and I am HAPPY! Now Merry Fucking Christmas and Joy to ALL!
 
Miss J

Roadhard's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

Working here = W-2 and you are right--you need a book of business to go somewhere else.
 
Indy = Ownership, the place you go with a book of business.
 
Have a great day boys and girls!
 

Brian1960's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-13

Miss Jones:  YOU GO GIRL!!!!
 
I have never been interviewed either but I wouldn't hurt the rackings if I were. If JD Powers does let the home office hand pick the people they call why wouldn't the other companies hand pick their's too?

advisorman's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-14

Miss Jones,
 
I also work at EDJ (I am sure by saying this someone is now going to call me an idiot) and it meets my needs too. Not sure why so many people hate EDJ in this forum but there seems to be a group of us that still want to be better FAs and this forum has been very helpful to me in the past.
 
Happy Holidays to you and fellow forum members,
 
Advisor (I am not Brian) Man

Brian1960's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-13

Miss Jones, when you said that Edward Jones has a long way to go to be recognized by the financial industry, I think the people on this forum continue to prove we are already there or they wouldn't waste so much of their time trying to convince others that we are no good.

Indy4Life's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-04

I think Advisorman said it best:  "perception equals reality" at EDJ.   I was there almost 6 years and have been Indy for 3 and when I was there the blinders were on and it was easy to be brainwashed into thinking every other firm was bad.  I finally took off the blinders and started researching and talking with others who had gone Indy and finally jumped ship.  In my entire tenure there I never got a phone call from JD Power.  And I never new anyone in my region that got a call.  Hmmm...   I did hear somewhere that they call home office associates as part of the poll.  Oh well... I really don't care anymore...

advisorman's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-14

I might have a different look on this than some. I work for EDJ (please don't attack) and I have been self employed most of my life. So you know I am way over 40 so I do appreciate the ones that have gone Indy.
 
I also understand that going independent is a great thing for some but not all. I truly think that those that have taken the step to self employment have done a great thing for themselves. You get a bigger piece of the pie, you can sell more products and you can do what you want when you want to. You also have more responsibilities and yes even more risk for that all comes with Independence.
 
Now to speak for the ones that still work for a firm (like EDJ or whoever). I choose to work for EDJ for it allowed me to change professions without the major expense and time required to do it on my own. I like helping people and I like working in my community where I am the only FA. I am not in it only for the money even though I make more than most people in my small community. I am now at a point in my life were I can spend time with my wife and kids and feel good about what I do.
 
So in closing I like the fact that EDJ wins awards even though I know that it is just marketing and it might be more perception than reality. It still helps me close and maintain accounts so I can be successful.
 
I also know that all you that are Indy are most likely very good at what you do and deserve these awards too. I do not think awards makes us better than anyone else. We all have to earn our clients business everyday.
 
Happy Holidays

compliancejerk's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-03

advisorman wrote:Edward Jones win these surveys because they do a better job of doing what it takes to win these surveys. The surveys are not all crooked and they are not all perfect either.
 
It is marketing and Edward Jones is pretty good at winning awards. Not sure if it has anything to do with their business model but they do a great job of convincing the world that their FAs are local business people who work at the community level.
 
We all need to remember that "perception is reality" to most people.
 
That's correct, you go girlfriend!  You and Jim Jones crowd make for a great team!!!

jones&out's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-22

I can't believe that no one has looked at the vital information.
 
Jones has ave rev per advisor of a whopping $291,229 and the next closest is AG Edwards at $492,000 only to be followed by Wachovia at $702,000.  I don't count Edwards since they will be Wachovia, that means Jones is less than 50% revenues of their next closest competitor. 
 
Maybe I am crazy but if you do count AG, doesn't anyone find it funny that the two with the lowest revenues are the happiest with their firms.
 
I guess it is right what they say, money only complicates matters, keep em poor and they will be happy, or you can give a beer truck driver a fish and he can eat for a day but teach him to sell a 35 yr muni and he will go broke before lunch.

bspears's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-08

Oh yah..don't forget the trips and bonuses...that would add another 2-3k to the 291k.  You need to report all the facts...don't ever slight the Jonesers.  Don't forget the turkeys either, another 20 bucks..a penny here a penny there..it all adds up. 

Broker24's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-10-12

MISS JONES wrote:I love Jones and all.. But seriously.. I do wonder who they interview for these reports. I don't personally know anyone that they have called and asked these questions to. I know that I would agree with most of the scores but I do wonder. 
 
I also know that may people on this forum are for a lack of a better term "Jones hatters" but in all it is a great firm.  Everyone knows that- because at one point many of you worked here.  Jones still has a LONG way to go to get respect in the Financial Service industry but at the end of the day- I don't care. I like working here. It fits my personality and I don't have a book of business to be moved yet so.. Here I am and I am HAPPY! Now Merry Fucking Christmas and Joy to ALL!
 
Miss J
 
It's simple.  JDPower only calls subscribers of RRep magazine.  I bet many people that read or use RRep only use it online, and do not subscribe.  I am willing to bet that every RL and long-time veteran has a subscription, whether they ordered it themselves or not.
 
As someone else pointed out, Jones is very good at winning awards.  However, many Fortune 500 companies do the same thing for these type of awards - they lobby, they send in proposals, they do the applications, all teh things you need to do to win.  I previously worked for a world-class hotel company at one time, and they did the same thing in order to win the awards.  It's not a conspiracy, just good business practice.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×