Skip navigation

Interview 2 with ML coming up - wanna start my 500-Day War! What will the BOM think?

or Register to post new content in the forum

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Mar 10, 2011 8:57 pm

So, I'm going for an interview with ML later this week.  I've lurked here ever since I applied to try and soak up as much info as I could about what I'm getting myself into.

Results?  READY TO F'N GO!

So, where am I coming from?

No freebie book coming from Daddy or Uncle Joe.  I'm 29, have some connections, but really, they know I haven't been in financial services, do they want to hand me their money?  No.  Will they want to buy a bond?  Hopefully :)

I've passed the silly math/economics test, passed the "personality test" - time to interview.  I've been told the next step after this is the business plan presentation and then a final interview/offer.  If it fits for me, I won't rest until I get in.

Without having a pre-filled book, and with very little contacts, I know for 110% sure that the only way I'll survive is by calling my butt off and sell, sell, sell.  

Here's the problem:  Is the BOM looking for that asset base coming in, and are they looking for someone to come in and network right away (otherwise known as the WRONG way to build a book from scratch)?

Seems that many here know that the only way to success is through that phone, but do the ML BOM's feel the same way?

I'd hate to waste my time going after this if I'm dying to hit the phones and they want me joining the country club, wasting time trying to get referrals (from my non-existent clients) and setting up seminars.

Mar 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Oh and PS: I'm new.  Nice to meet y'all!

Mar 14, 2011 4:34 am

I am in the same boat just a little further down the road.  I have been through the ML process and have been there for a few months.  Took my 7 and am working on my 66.  I didn't have to present a business plan because they won't have me do that until well down the road.  They just told me to do it however I was comfortable (network, join country club, hit the phones, hang out at nursing homes).  They def encourage running your own business and people aren't held to a schedule.  Just hit your numbers.  Good luck.

Mar 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks!

I am working on my "business plan" now, for presentation on Friday.  The Director told me they're looking for more of an activity plan and some demographic research than anything.

He recommended buying Million Dollar Financial Services Practice "to get a head start" and recommended getting some navy & gray suits for "wear around the office."  These were both unsolicited recommendations.  Those items plus the flow of the interview really led me to believe I have a really good shot!

I was able to "talk the talk" during the interview because of everything I've read here over the past couple weeks.  100% thanks goes to this community.

Apr 8, 2011 9:12 am

I'd hate to waste my time going after this if I'm dying to hit the phones and they want me joining the country club, wasting time trying to get referrals (from my non-existent clients) and setting up seminars.

Apr 8, 2011 4:55 pm

I don't understand....you just quoted my text....???

Apr 10, 2011 3:40 am

[quote=sixx81]

I don't understand....you just quoted my text....???

[/quote]

because alexus is a troll and the mods are way too slow to boot him. he's on my block list. can't believe he's still here.

Apr 12, 2011 6:21 pm

I am sure that after you get licensed, you will be able to "hit the phones". I interviewed with a few major wirehouses before I decided to go with an Indy firm. Every interview I had with the wires frowned upon cold calling, but the Indy told me to do what I had to do to build my book. I see the networking at country clubs as more as a status thing for the wires. Networking does work, but not for a few years. As long as you hit your numbers, I am pretty sure they will not care how you do it. Secondly, if you hit the phones and start doing well and meeting goals, I would just keep my mouth shut as to how you are building your book. No one needs to know what you are doing as long as you are producing. Now, I am all gung ho like you and can't wait to get to work. I would focus on your exams more than anything right now. The 500 day war or any other means of prospecting is worthless if you are not licensed to work.

Jan 31, 2013 5:06 am

So how’d it go? Have you heard back yet?