What should I expect on the MSSB Math Test

12 replies [Last post]
FA Research's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-09

I'm researching a career change into financial services.  I've been out of college 15 years.  Last math class was 17 years ago.  I haven't used any math other than arithmetic, percentages and some basic geometry in my career.  What do I need to brush up on (or re-learn) for the MSSB math test and eventually Series 7 exam?  How much math is actually used in the FA position?
 
Thank you for the advice.

The_Belter's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-08

All you need for the Series 7 is basic math skills, nothing very complicated.  The formulas were pretty basic so all you have to really do is figure percentages and multipy/divide.  However....the MSSB test will be far more complicated than what you will see on the Series 7. I took their test and thought that the 7 was much less difficult.

NewRep17's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-01

What math test?  Do you mean the online test assessment they make you take initially?

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

FA Research wrote: I'm researching a career change into financial services.  I've been out of college 15 years.  Last math class was 17 years ago.  I haven't used any math other than arithmetic, percentages and some basic geometry in my career.  What do I need to brush up on (or re-learn) for the MSSB math test and eventually Series 7 exam?  How much math is actually used in the FA position?
 
Thank you for the advice.

Nash equilibrium, chaos theoretical formulas, Korts string formula, imaginary differential equations, quantitative analysis, Sharpe ratio, determine standard deviation, differential equations and linear algebra. Brush up on that and you should be fine.

FA Research's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-09

Thank you.  I appreciate it.

FA Research's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-09

Yes - they sent me a link to an online timed math test.

WookinPaNub's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-04

NewRep17 wrote:What math test?  Do you mean the online test assessment they make you take initially?

 
Recently took assessment online. How long does it to process results and get to next step? 

bringiton's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-20

Wookin - took me five days to get a call...the whole process is deifinately not an overnight deal!

WookinPaNub's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-04

bringiton wrote:Wookin - took me five days to get a call...the whole process is deifinately not an overnight deal!

 
Thanks, no rush. Just trying to set my own expectations on the process at the beginning stages. 
 
Got a call from an external recruiter for MSSB, but am already in process (i.e, did online assessment last week) on my own initiative.  Question: would the recruiter be beneficial beyond the assessment?..or is recruiter's interest primarily in making the introduction and that's all?  Seems recruiter lost interest when I mentioned that I had already contacted mssb on my own and had jus tdoen the assessment.

Gaddock's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

What about pi? was there any fractal geometry or CAPM theory?

moneyguy1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-11

greetings im trying to find out whats in the online assesment..i know some of it its math and sales..do amy of your remember any specific questions etc? thanks

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×