Training Consultants and the Series 66 Exam. What if ???

40 replies [Last post]
mstudy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-10-05

I am not saying that this is the case, but what if the majority of comments on this board were posted by employees of Training Consultants?  When I see so many positive comments without any negative comments, I have to wonder about the situation.  All the exam prep providers have access to the same content outline.

jmaka's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-01

Let's hope not...I'm using it for the 66 and intend to take it in the next week or so. The thought did cross my mind and honestly one poster in particular seems really suspicious, but I've also seen a few whose other posts I've looked at and have come to the conclusion (or perhaps just hoping for my own sake) that it doesn't seem like all of them would be employees. One or two of them defineitly could be.I'm following the program to a tee and I won't take the test until I'm in the range that they suggest and will report back here if the content is way off or if it's all an obvious scam. Obviously outside sources could affect my outcome but I will be extraordinarily upset if I got bamboozled even though it would be all of my fault. And I promise to go on an all out campaign to expose them if that's the case as well. Might not make much of a difference but at least I'll feel like I've done my part.

jmaka's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-01

Let's hope not...I'm using it for the 66 and intend to take it in the next week or so. The thought did cross my mind and honestly one poster in particular seems really suspicious, but I've also seen a few whose other posts I've looked at and have come to the conclusion (or perhaps just hoping for my own sake) that it doesn't seem like all of them would be employees. One or two of them definitely could be.I'm following the program to a tee and I won't take the test until I'm in the range that they suggest and will report back here if the content is way off or if it's all an obvious scam. Obviously outside sources could affect my outcome but I will be extraordinarily upset if I got bamboozled even though it would be all of my fault. And I promise to go on an all out campaign to expose them if that's the case as well. Might not make much of a difference but at least I'll feel like I've done my part.

registerme's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-11-16

I thought the same exact thing.  I do not work for TC and I was nervous too.  Once I started taking the exam I knew it wasn't a joke.  Take your own chances but I swear on my life I do not work for TC and I know that if you get their stuff you'll pass.

registerme's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-11-16

I am sure I am the poster you guys think work for TC because I post a lot about this.  I am just trying to help people out in the industry because I know for a fact how scared I was about the 66 and how many horrible things I heard about it.  I was given STC from my company, I bought Kaplan on my own, and after reading stuff on this site, I decided to spend even more money on TC because numerous people said it was awesome.  I buckled down on TC for the last 2 weeks before my exam and I am so happy I did that.  I must say though, I was scared everyone worked for TC!  I SWEAR I do not!  Jmaka, you won't regret it and you can come back on here and admit it.  If you guys go to my earlier posts I was asking which material was the best (this was probably around October/November because that is when I studied for it).  Go ahead and look at all my posts and you'll see that I was asking about STC and then I start posting about TC because it worked.

jmaka's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-01

It's nothing personal. It just looks like you're overtly pitching them. I don't think anyone can be blamed for being suspicious when it comes to these kinds of things. In any event I've been using them for the past few weeks. I've been taking the exams and my scores so far are:#1-79 #2-72 #3-72 #4-69(insurance questions were killing me) #5-81 and Random Final 1st attempt 90Re-take of #1- 94So according to them, if I maintain the scores from the last 3 or so tests, I should be ready. I'm going to schedule the test for this coming Friday which will have allowed me to take the other 4 over again and an additional random final.

bklyn1772's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-13

@jmaka I heard Training Consultants is well worth the money and it works very well. I was thinking of using it when I start studying for my s66 as well. Keep us posted on how you do. Good luck! 

registerme's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-11-16

I guess, it just sucks that people can't come on here as a very strong advocate of their industry and share their experiences without being seen as "suspicious".  Again, I just want to help people!  So, shoot me.  Why would I offer to sell my personal stuff for less than the Training Consultants stuff if I worked for them?  That makes no damn sense now does it?  I guess that is how our society works these days.  Always be suspicious because there are lots of A-holes out there trying to screw us all over.  Not me, though!  Good luck!!  Just take the practice tests as many times as you can before, because as I have said, there are identical questions on the real deal.

mstudy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-10-05

In the spirit of fair disclsoure, I am in a different position from some people on this board in that I have already taken and passed these exams.  These days I help students with the material.  I don't help anyone with the 65 yet but I am looking into it becuase alot of people take it after the 7.   I am looking for source material for the 65.  Training Consultants's manual by itself costs $120  for only 120 or so pages and without any practice tests.  I have a hard time believing that STC is substantially inferior to TC.  They all use the same content outline.  If TC is that much better, it must mean that they have an inside track to the actual questions, which raises other questions.

registerme's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-11-16

I honsetly think you are correct with your latter comment.  I have heard that the person who wrote TC, used to work for NASAA and that is why some questions are identical.  apparently she wrote some of the questions for the Series 66 and Nasaa hasn't changed them?  Who knows what truth that holds, but it would make sense.  And yeah, probably should raise other questions, perhaps it will once someone from NASAA sees this post. haha.

jmaka's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-01

@mstudy I don't know that I'd say the material itself is vastly inferior from one provider to the next, but maybe the approach could be? When I started using  STC for the 66 I found that it was approaching it much the same way it had with the 7. That worried me in that the 7 is a different test entirely. Even if I haven't heard too many people speaking lowly of TC, what I have read here and other places is the great majority of people that have failed once, twice and even three times using STC because of the vast amount of information presented. Those people often mentioned numerous other providers that they had heard were better, or had actually proven to be. The root however was always that STC had somehow failed them. I'd defineitly say that more people have posted about failing with STC than passing when it comes to the 66. With the 7, as we all know, STC seems to be the consensus favorite and for very good reason as far as I'm concerned.If the trick to the test is just focusing on the few subjects you need, which one vendor identifies and focuses on exclusively, then I'd say it's money well spent. Not to mention there aren't very many study courses that you get lectures, tests, and study guide for 200 bucks. Their software just got an upgrade too, and as far as evaluating the areas you need to focus on (assuming their content is an accurate representation of the test) is vastly superior to STC's.Just playing devil's advocate, we'll find out Friday whether or not the gamble was worth it, for me anyway...@registerme Tina didn't write series 66 questions or work for NASAA, she wrote series 7 questions and was on the NYSE Series 7 Committee.

registerme's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-11-16

I agree with the above.  I have noticed that people simply complain that STC is not good for the 66, and I agree its because they go into way too much detail.  Kaplan wasn't bad either for the 66, but I think it went into too much detail as well.  OK, sounds good in regards to Tina, as I said, I have no idea.  All I know, is there were identical questions on the real deal as the practice tests...... Not sure how that is possible since people who work for the companies that write the books aren't allowed to take the tests.....

ratherboncourse's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-02

registerme wrote:I guess, it just sucks that people can't come on here as a very strong advocate of their industry and share their experiences without being seen as "suspicious".  Again, I just want to help people!  So, shoot me.  Why would I offer to sell my personal stuff for less than the Training Consultants stuff if I worked for them?  That makes no damn sense now does it?  I guess that is how our society works these days.  Always be suspicious because there are lots of A-holes out there trying to screw us all over.  Not me, though!  Good luck!!  Just take the practice tests as many times as you can before, because as I have said, there are identical questions on the real deal. Training Consultants is the way to go, 100%.  Take our word for it, passed both 66 and 7 with it.

Albertp86's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-12-23

I sure as hell dont work for them and I passed two weeks ago using their stuff.  I only used their question bank and did it a few times over and passed.  I wouldent say that there are alot of the same questions but there are a couple.  There were a few questions that I didnt know and I was seeing for the first time.  So for those who are thinking about it I would say do it but put your time into it and you will be fine.

jmaka's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-01

Well I take it on Friday and here are my test results from the last week as well as some qbank results in my weak areas. Unless I totally choke, I should be pretty dialed in. Gonna take another Random Final tomorrow before I take it first thing Friday.

jmaka's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-01

I think it deleted my text, but that's my last week or so of studying....tests and going over questions areas I felt a little weak in.According to them and everyone else I should be good to go Friday. Going to take one more random final on Thursday to sum it all up. Then first thing Friday I take it.

ratherboncourse's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-02

jmaka wrote:I think it deleted my text, but that's my last week or so of studying....tests and going over questions areas I felt a little weak in.According to them and everyone else I should be good to go Friday. Going to take one more random final on Thursday to sum it all up. Then first thing Friday I take it.If you didnt use the book at all, you will pass no problem, just keep taking tests....

jmaka's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-01

Add me as one of the believers now. I passed the 66 today with an 83 using TC. There were quite a few questions which were worded exactly like the practice exams, just with some words switched around. I would say however that if you're borderline to pay special attention to insurance types/components because it went into a little more depth on the real test than the practice exams. Other than that, anything you hadn't seen before you could figure out based on the lectures and the book.Like everyone else has said...just checkmark, highlight, underline and take tests until youre >85 consistently and you'll have zero problem with this test. It is really not a hard test at all. Whoever said it was harder than the 7 either has no reading comprehension skills or simply didn't put the time in.

MrMcD's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-22

I just took the Series 7 for the first time and received a 78. I used Testeachers.com and I'm not sure if I want to use them again. Has anyone used both Testeachers and Training Consultants that can offer some imput to which one of these two I should use for the Series 66? I just thought that testeachers put some emphasis on area that were not mentioned that much on the Series 7, while at the same time missed some other information in their material. Its hard to believe that Training Consultants can be so accurate with their material, but hopefully they are. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

MrMcD's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-22

I am also looking to buy the book and the online access for Training Solutions Series 66. Anyone with this material please respond. I am taking the test in a couple of weeks.

MrMcD's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-02-22

Training Consultants that is. 

Hambone216's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-03-22

I took the 66 about three weeks ago. I used fire solutions and came up 5 points short. I wish I could say it was due to lack of effort but I studied my ass off and honestly went into thinking I was going to crush it. The test I was dealt was so different than what i expected that i was surprised i was able to pull out a 70. I ordered TC after reading what you guys wrote about it. I take the test in a little over a week and i am feeling much better this time around.  I have taken the first 5 tests and have been scoring up around 90% on all of them. So if this material is as good as you say it is then I will be a happy man. I have seen the test once already and I can confrim that you will see word for word questions because i remember quite a few that i had no idea abou the first time around, which is defninitely reassuring. I was wondering if any of you used passed perfect too. i was thinking since TC only has about 5-6 exams i was going to take a bunch of pass perfect exams too since i have time, and i have heard that their exams are also very reflective of the test. Was just hoping someone in here did this too.

JoeBull's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-03-22

Hambone I was in the exact same boat. I feel like Fire gives you too much info but if you know that info, you should be able to pass. Well, that theory was shot down. I went in yesterday feeling like an 85 would be easily obtained. WRONG! 

registerme's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-11-16

^^  wow- see.  Now people will really believe me.  I am serious that all the other study material sucks.  Yeah, you can pass with it- but its so bad that its really hard to pass unless you get lucky on quite a few questions.  I literally was done in 45 mintues with TC and I thought I was going to get in the 90s when I saw my score.  An 88 is pretty close, though.  haha!

McNuggles's picture
Offline
Joined: 2013-01-24

I finished my Series 66 test just a few hours ago. Training Consultants is a great way to pass the test. This was the second time taking the test. I prepared the first time using just the Series 66 book from Kaplan and scored a 70. A great deal of the test is just understanding the structure of the questions and assumptions that go along with them. I bought the Training Consultants online practice question/test application 2 days before my second attempt . I took 3 standard finals and got a 74, 82 and 83. I took the last 2 standard finals today before the test with a 76 and 84. I then passed the 66 two hours later with an 82. I would say 10 to 12 questions were about word for word. My knowledge base really didn't increase that much the second time around but I knew how to answer the questions. I wish I would have done more research before to make it easier. On a side note if you use the Kaplan book, supplement your knowledge of S,C,LLC's ect.because it does not cover everything you need to know.

pbfinanceman's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012-10-18

registerme doesnt work for TC, most likey he/she works for a company that is paid to post positive stuff, we have had marketing firms call our office and offer that service. Asking if they work for TC is misleading.
I used STC and got an 80% on the 66 and 7.

Im taking the CFP in march and thats the only reason im still on this forum is for advice. Registerme has been on here for years, only posting about TC....that makes alot of sense.....

rtweeddale's picture
Offline
Joined: 2013-03-19

Training Consultants works great! Don't waste your time with anyone else!

scrittitrader's picture
Offline
Joined: 2013-07-19

I just took and passed the Series 66 exam with a very strong score. Formerly, I used Kaplan and Passtheseven (Robert Walker) for the Series 7 with great success. I then decided after some online research to give Training Consultant's Series 66 material a try - and it's terrific. The online lectures are very informative and you will grow to love the instructors voice (check mark highlight!) - but it's the practice exams and their full explanations that make the course worth every penny. I studied for approximately 5 weeks and passed. It does take a week to get the printed textbook shipped to you (the book is brief and gets right to the point) and it's good to follow along in the book with the instructor. The website itself is great too and intuitive - Be sure you go back and check the practice exams and review the questions you answered incorrectly - you can even print them off and save them to a binder for later review. I definitely recommend the course and I wish I had known about training consultants for my Series 7. Thanks folks - I passed!!!!

SandDollar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2013-07-29

First and foremost, thank you to everyone here. I found out about TC from this site.

***DISCLAIMER*** This is going to be a long post, if you have passed 66 then you can stop reading now. If you are about to take it, this is information I would have wanted to read prior to taking the test so I hope it helps.

I have to say I am sorry to further rain on your parade mstudy but just got back from the Series 66 and passed with a 78 first try using TC. Nothing stellar by any means but its a pass and I finished with an hour to spare so I probably could have gone back to check a few answers.

So here is my story and feedback for others....

My Prep:

I focused VERY heavily on the USA, NASAA and IA Act of '40. Made sure that I was scoring consistently in the 80's on all these sections. For all 5 finals I reviewed EVERY question from those sections and read the rational. If it was an except question, I read the question and left the except off and read all the other answers (to help memorize what it did include) and then read the question as written with the except answer. Some questions on the actual exam for these topics were so poorly worded it was impossible to even tell what they are asking. Also for my experience the number of similar questions on the practice vs real thing was about on par with what others have said if not even higher. Seriously......just take the exams and REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW. Get the concepts they have in the questions, they may package it a different way but its usually pretty clear as to what question you have seen in the past to relate it to.

Next focus was Client Investment Recommendations and Strategies. This one I struggled the most with during exam prep. So many very similar terms and just slight variations in differences to ratios or risk types that they did hit you with it hard on the exam. Flash cards are your friend, these were the lectures I had the hardest time getting through and really just read the book TC provided.

The reason for studying the way that I did is I am working full time and had to optimize my studying as much as possible. If you go to NASAA's website there is a FULL breakdown of how many questions in each section are on each specific term or topic. Laws and Regs are 50% and Investment Rec/Strategies are 30% and it breaks each of these down into subcategories of how many questions are on each concept.

I would be studying, hit some concept or term that just didn't click and would look at the PDF of the test break down. If it was 5 questions and one of 3 things listed, I studied it. If there were 2 questions and its in a list of 10 terms that those 2 questions pulled from then I got the general concept and moved on.

(PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO THE PDF PLEASE!!!! In the off chance they are not aware of how much success people are having with TC and their web admin sees a ton of incoming traffic from here we could have a Series 7 lawsuit over the 66 and I do not want that to happen, doubtful but just don't risk it!)

So am I just touting TC with no other experience?
NO! I got the STC material from a friend for the 66 and it was the worst possible way to relay it for the way I learn.

I then decided to take the Kaplan course, served me well in the past so figured it would here too. Well after reading the book and taking the live course I thought I knew it well enough to just brush up some. So I went home and took a mock exam. Score 56%. I was horrified. I took another one, 58%. So I had read the book and taken the class but it still did not break down the material in a way which I was able to truly differentiate between inclusions, exclusion and exemptions with the way the questions are asked. I then saw this thread and ordered the material as I was willing to try anything that would allow me to understand it. Went through the TC course (skipped the investment vehicle, retirement plans and other Series 7 stuff) and then went back to Kaplan to see if it helped. Took a mock exam and got a 77%. Plain and simple I understood the material and was able to differentiate after taking the TC course. Went back and retook the TC course in full.

Here is the most important part which many will find interesting. TC assumes you just took the 7 so they blow through many topics that are on the 7. If the 7 isn't fresh or you are taking the 66 first via U10, I would highly suggest buying a used Series 7 book on ebay or amazon.

You need to go further in depth on Bonds, Options (make sure you can find the max gain/loss and breakeven of a simple option) as well as Business Entities (Corp, S Corp, Partnership, LLC) and taxation. They threw in some detailed tax questions on the test that really surprised me

Final thoughts

TC was spot on for the rest (no huge detailed explanations when all they asked was simple conceptual question) and if she says "Checkmark highlight!" then there is a huge chance you will see it on the test itself. Do NOT let them trick you int he wording and pay very close attention to questions you get wrong on the practice finals that are misleading or that they change something like register to file. You WILL see them do this on the 66 so if you are not on the look out for it then they will get you.

I think we have pretty well dispelled the myth that we all work for TC and are touting it because of that. But if you are one of those conspiracy theorist, send me a message and Ill send you a picture of my passing report (with my name and ID number redacted of course) showing the date of Monday July 29, 2013........

Best of luck to anyone who is going to take it and if you follow the method I outlined, I really will be shocked if you don't pass. It will take time and effort so do not mistake this test for Life/Health exams but for me this was 10x easier than the 7.

Anyone about to take it feel free to message me with questions or concerns. I am more than happy to guide you along, but I will not tell you which questions I saw on the exam or anything exam question specific aside from the fact I was shocked I had to calculate an option! Even Kaplan said "you 66 folks wont see this."

mstudy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-10-05

SandDollar, I am not sure what you mean buy raining on my parade. I originally created this tread because of all of the one sided comments about Training Consultants. Something did not smell right to me. Obviously, there was something to be concerned about.

SandDollar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2013-07-29

mstudy wrote:
SandDollar, I am not sure what you mean buy raining on my parade. I originally created this tread because of all of the one sided comments about Training Consultants. Something did not smell right to me. Obviously, there was something to be concerned about.

I definitely recognize your concern and realize how you could see it that way. The truth of the matter is really that the TC product for the 66 is stellar. I followed their plan and as many mentioned the lecturers voice can be a bit trying at times but the way she broke the material down and the way she relayed the material worked. Given how quickly I was able to get through it with my other work load shocked me as well.

Mstudy I do agree that it is unusual that there be so many good reviews for a product without any dissenters. In this case though, the product really is simply that good and they have developed a now proven method to be able to pass.

mstudy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-10-05

SandDollar wrote:
mstudy wrote:
SandDollar, I am not sure what you mean buy raining on my parade. I originally created this tread because of all of the one sided comments about Training Consultants. Something did not smell right to me. Obviously, there was something to be concerned about.

I definitely recognize your concern and realize how you could see it that way. The truth of the matter is really that the TC product for the 66 is stellar. I followed their plan and as many mentioned the lecturers voice can be a bit trying at times but the way she broke the material down and the way she relayed the material worked. Given how quickly I was able to get through it with my other work load shocked me as well.

Mstudy I do agree that it is unusual that there be so many good reviews for a product without any dissenters. In this case though, the product really is simply that good and they have developed a now proven method to be able to pass.

You may not have all of the facts here. There is a very good reason to skeptical about the product. FINRA sued Training Consultants for allegedly sitting for FINRA exams over a number of years for the purpose of memorizing test questions. The NASAA exams were not included in the lawsuit, though. The case never went to trial because the lawsuit was settled.

SandDollar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2013-07-29

mstudy wrote:
SandDollar wrote:
mstudy wrote:
SandDollar, I am not sure what you mean buy raining on my parade. I originally created this tread because of all of the one sided comments about Training Consultants. Something did not smell right to me. Obviously, there was something to be concerned about.

I definitely recognize your concern and realize how you could see it that way. The truth of the matter is really that the TC product for the 66 is stellar. I followed their plan and as many mentioned the lecturers voice can be a bit trying at times but the way she broke the material down and the way she relayed the material worked. Given how quickly I was able to get through it with my other work load shocked me as well.

Mstudy I do agree that it is unusual that there be so many good reviews for a product without any dissenters. In this case though, the product really is simply that good and they have developed a now proven method to be able to pass.

You may not have all of the facts here. There is a very good reason to skeptical about the product. FINRA sued Training Consultants for allegedly sitting for FINRA exams over a number of years for the purpose of memorizing test questions. The NASAA exams were not included in the lawsuit, though. The case never went to trial because the lawsuit was settled.

Ahhhhh so that is the real issue. Yes, I am fully aware there was a lawsuit and that they were accused of sitting an taking the exams to memorize questions based on the number of times they failed. I did not buy the question bank to memorize them, I bought the lecture and that is what enabled me to pass the test. Believe me, there were not 75 verbatim questions on that test!

Two things, if the way they broke the material down was not better, my score on the Kaplan practice test would not have skyrocketed after simply going through the lectures once without having taken any of their practice test. Secondly, many of the questions I saw on the TC practice exams mysteriously were on the Kaplan exams too......

The main advantage of the TC test over Kaplan though was I could click on a topic (such as Investment Vehicles) and view all the questions from that section of the practice test. With Kaplan you know how many from each section you missed but it does not let you review just the questions from your weakest section.

mstudy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-10-05

You are the exception on this forum. Most people here are probably buying the data bank of questions with the expectation that they will see the same questions on the actual exam. Most of my students do not use Training Consultants. The majority of my students prior to seeking help from my company, have already failed using STC or Kaplan. I normally recommend that they purchase the materials from Pass Perfect.

SandDollar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2013-07-29

I do not doubt that mstudy, it is an unfortunate reality. I have not used nor ever seen pass perfect so I cannot speak to those. I can say that I got to look at a friends Series 7 material from TC and if you are the self directed studier it seems to be a good option since they are outline based and not verbose like STC and Kaplan. I did not really get a whole lot out of the Kaplan class aside from a few tricks and tips but those were not enough to pass since a whole lot of what was on there did not even get talked about in the class.

As I stated before, I did see the same questions on TC as I saw on Kaplan for the most part so you can buy either test bank. The difference though as I stated is the flexibility to review questions by unit and the way it breaks down your scoring compared to the Kaplan %. The Kaplan does not help much in my opinion if you cannot go back and see exactly what material the questions were on that you missed without going through the WHOLE test. I just find this cumbersome especially if there is one section you are very week on and need to focus on just those topics.

jajafosheeshee's picture
Offline
Joined: 2013-02-11

Kaplan in my opinion is a hard study guide to follow. You are first starting out dry in the arena of state laws, and Kaplan gives you the driest version of what you need to know. They also give you the legal jargon, expecting you to know what in the world they are talking about. Also, Kaplan is 400 pages of info. thats ridiculous. Their index and references are also a joke, so if you are not a good test taker and you decide to do a self study in Kaplan it will be tough. I did it for the 7, and it was a monster, absolutely overwhelmed and their Cheat Sheet was laughable. I purchased TC today from the good vibes that I have been reading all around from different posters. I have read the Kaplan 66 book twice and I am still scoring in the 75-78 range. I know it's crazy to go through another course but I have a learning problem with an accident that I suffered when I was a kid, basically a head injury that affect my memory. Self directed courses do not work well with me, and I have never liked Kaplan manuals. I took courses in college that required them and it was always better to beat yourself over the head than attempt to read through their bs. I am going to give TC a shot. We will see how it goes. I intend on taking the exam in 2 weeks. I will be giving my advice to everyone. On mstudy, he is a tutor. If you need help online with a tutor who has been in the business for a long time I would recommend him. One thing that I would recommend is to approach mstudy, knowing exactly what sections you struggle with. You can't approach him expecting to dump all of this knowledge on you in a matter of seconds. He helped me with my Series 7.

Also, I don't have a problem with training courses taking exams just to see how the questions are written. That is more than half the battle in this industry. They continue to raise the standards of instead of making a 70% on the Series 7 you need a 72% now, or instead of getting a 70% on the Series 66 you need a 75%. I want to be challenged by my training course, and if they have an inside track on what type of questions or how they are asked I think its awesome. Sorry, its not cheating it is preparing. If I knew that an old FINRA exam writer is now publishing their own study manual I will probably look to them for incite.

mstudy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011-10-05

Jajafosheeshee, thank you for the rec in this thread and in another. Check your messages.

Maytc1672's picture
Offline
Joined: 2014-05-01

I used Training Consultants and studied for 6 weeks and just took the test 1 week ago and got an 83%. Everything about their program was great! Their online program is very easy to use and their book is about 1/4 the size of Kaplan.

I am now selling my Training Consultants Series 66 book and online login to pass along to anyone interested. The book literally is like-new, it has no markings of any kind since I did all my note taking in a notebook. I can also give you my online login for the TC website so you can complete all the practice Q's. Please comment back to me on here and let me know if you're interested in the study materials!

DC's picture
DC
Offline
Joined: 2014-05-05

I did not have the same success with TC. I recently purchased the TC series 66 program and studied for close to 30 days. The last two weeks I put in 50 plus hours of study time. I scored 76,79,76,75 & 72 on there standard finals. Followed their damage control process and retook standard tests 1,2 & 5 and I scored 88,90 & 91 respectively. Then I took a random final and scored an 81.

Today I sat for the 66 and scored a 71. The portion I failed was the Laws, Regulations and guidelines. The test questions seemed to be significantly more detailed that the study material. What other material should I secure to better prepare for round 2

I am also considering trying to sit for the 63 and 65 since I have a base of knowledge already and would like to expedite the process. Has anyone else taken that route?

jajafosheeshee's picture
Offline
Joined: 2013-02-11

@DC, that is not bueno. You need to sit and drill those topics in your head. Just listening to the recordings and retaking the exams will not help you out. I retook the exam using TC and scored an 86.

I will share what helped me pass.

The first phase of TC, about 2 weeks I went through every chapter of TC and listened to the recordings and took the section quizzes. Sometimes having to redo some.

The second phase. About a week long of taking the final exams. Averaging in the 80's. (I then went back to realize why I missed questions etc.) I also retook some exams where I didn't feel comfortable.

The third phase. Another week long, I actually went through every chapter and wrote a small cheat sheet or recap of the important topics to drill into my head. This phase was to memorize the topics and to be able to know what the vocab was.

The final phase. For about a week and a half, 5 hours a day on the weekdays and 8 to 9 on the weekend. I would run through my cheat sheet (which was about 48 pages long) every day. I had my time broken out in time. I would study for 45 minutes and then take a break for 15 minutes. Studying the cheat sheet, and looking at TC's flash cards to memorize the topics. Also in some intermittent study to mix things up I would take some of the exams (doing 15-20 questions in the portion of that 45 min. mixing in the cheat sheet).

I did the final week for 2 reasons. One, is memorization. This exam is pure memorization. You must know the vocab more than anything, if you know a little you don't know enough. Judging from your score you knew a little, and I am guessing that you had a good memory of the practice test questions. The second reason why I did the final week that way is that marathon studying is not good. You are allowed to take breaks during the exam so why not while you are studying. Getting your brain and body used to being under some sort of stress for those those 45 minutes, will prepare you to stay focused for a much longer time than marathon studying.

I wish you luck!

Venator86's picture
Offline
Joined: 2014-06-01

I passed my 7 and 66 with Training Consultants but you have to use it correctly.

1) The lectures take a really long time and are mostly inefficient. I basically skipped them entirely except for the portions of the book where it's blank and the only way to fill it in is to listen to the lecture. I would just skip to the part where it fills it in then go back to reading.

2) Read the chapters instead of lectures. You will retain and remember the information much better that way. Don't rely on the lectures alone.

3) The flashcards are literally useless. Skip them, they are a waste of your study time.

4) If you don't get 85% or better on the full set of chapter questions, RE-READ THE CHAPTER or at least re-read the sections that you miffed before moving on to the next chapter; your score breakdown tells you the sections you got questions wrong from.

5) The entire book is only 120-something pages. You can get through the entire book in a few hours not counting the practice questions. Don't let this make you lazy; don't study 5 days before your exam. Repetition of reading the book will commit the material to memory.

6) Once you get to the final exam practice questions, keep taking one, re-reading sections you got wrong, and taking another, and re-reading the sections you got wrong, etc, etc until exam day. Some of the questions are VERY similar, and all the extra reading will hammer the information into your memory so the test becomes nearly auto-pilot.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×