Smith Barney

19 replies [Last post]
newFA08's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-23

 I am very interested in joining Smith Barney, How hard is it to land a position there?  I called up the president of the branch, who seems like a great guy and got an interview.  Anyone know what the hiring process is like Smith Barney?  Also do any of you know what the average starting salary is there??  This one is for any Smith Barney FA's.  Thanks!

IsOldSpiceRightForMe's picture
Joined: 2008-04-14

From my own experience, the hiring process with SB is very similar to ML, and very different from EDJ.  I like that at EDJ you know exactly what's going to be happening next.  At ML and SB the hiring process I went through seemed to be up to the BOM or Hiring Manager.  At both firms I went in several time, met with the BOM, met with a few advisors, went to lunch a few times with some of the advisors, and waited for an answer.  From what I've seen and heard the starting salary at both is anywhere from $40k to $80k depending on where you're coming from (I'm sure it also depends on your location). 

newFA08's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-23

You mentioned you'd wait after meeting or having lunch.  Were you asking what the next step is from here?  Just curious to see if Smith Barney lets you know what the next step is after having the first or second interview.  I had 3 phone interviews w/EDJ plus 2 face to face interviews.  Total its been like 1 1/2 months since I started the process with them.  I really would like to know if there is a "type" that Smith Barney looks for and the average time frame from first interview to getting an offer is. 

IsOldSpiceRightForMe's picture
Joined: 2008-04-14

Yeah, I always asked what the next step would be, if I should follow up with them, and if not how long they thought it would be until I heard back from them.  At both ML and SB it was about 5 visits total of meeting with different people and going out to lunch. 

newFA08's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-23

Did you actually get offers from SB or ML?  

IsOldSpiceRightForMe's picture
Joined: 2008-04-14

Yes.

JBrowntown's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-10-25

I can confirm everything OldSpice is saying.

Bodysurf's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-02

The hiring process at SB or Merrill is up to the local manager.  At SB, each office has a branch manager; at Merrill, there is an area manager responsible for at least three branches.I was offered positions at both.  I was coming from the independent channel with a Series 6 and 63, but I was somewhat successful in selling mutual funds and annuities.  I chose SB, and still think it was a great move for me.A key thing to remember is that wirehouses are a lot more alike than they are different.  Even the grids don't matter much, especially in the early years when you're trying to build your book of business, and get your gross up.  So it's very, very important to be completely comfortable with your manager, and with the other FA's you'll be working with every day.  It's a tough business, and tougher still if you don't feel as if you're getting along very well with the folks you work with.  That said, it's the greatest business in the whole world.  Most of us simply can't imagine wanting to do anything else.  Good luck.

Bodysurf's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-02

Yes.  I spent the first two months basically just studying for my 7.  I already had my 63, so they had me get my 65.  Oddly enough, just four days after I signed on with SB, Hurricane Katrina came through and put our offices 10 feet underwater.  They moved our operations briefly to another branch, but I would've gotten in everyone's way, so they told me just to stay home and study for two months.Assuming you won't have a once-in-a-century storm wipe out YOUR offices, you'll be going in about 8:30 in the morning to study for your exams, and visit with other departments to see how operations go.  Then after you pass your 7 and 66, it's off to Warren, NJ for a couple of weeks, then you start production.

GWB43's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-31

Bodysurf wrote:Yes.  I spent the first two months basically just studying for my 7.  I already had my 63, so they had me get my 65.  Oddly enough, just four days after I signed on with SB, Hurricane Katrina came through and put our offices 10 feet underwater.  They moved our operations briefly to another branch, but I would've gotten in everyone's way, so they told me just to stay home and study for two months.Assuming you won't have a once-in-a-century storm wipe out YOUR offices, you'll be going in about 8:30 in the morning to study for your exams, and visit with other departments to see how operations go.  Then after you pass your 7 and 66, it's off to Warren, NJ for a couple of weeks, then you start production.
What iz da hiring procedure dere? What iz da Series 7? Can someone like me pass it? I need uh job..... w0rd!

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

GWB43 wrote:What iz da hiring procedure dere? What iz da Series 7? Can someone like me pass it? I need uh job..... w0rd!
 
 
I think someone who is smart enough to put George W. Bush's initials together followed by the number 43, in reference to GWB being the 43rd president of the United States of America, is smart enough to answer the questions you are asking.
 
 

GWB43's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-31

snaggletooth wrote:GWB43 wrote:What iz da hiring procedure dere? What iz da Series 7? Can someone like me pass it? I need uh job..... w0rd!
 
 
I think someone who is smart enough to put George W. Bush's initials together followed by the number 43, in reference to GWB being the 43rd president of the United States of America, is smart enough to answer the questions you are asking.
 
 Really....I gots uh GWB43 motor on muh ma boat what 'chew thinking man?

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

GWB43 wrote: snaggletooth wrote:GWB43 wrote:What iz da hiring procedure dere? What iz da Series 7? Can someone like me pass it? I need uh job..... w0rd!
 
 
I think someone who is smart enough to put George W. Bush's initials together followed by the number 43, in reference to GWB being the 43rd president of the United States of America, is smart enough to answer the questions you are asking.
 
 Really....I gots uh GWB43 motor on muh ma boat what 'chew thinking man?
 
Aw boi! Dats da crunk shiz nit. Iz diz u Tyrone? Whenz dat cornbread gun be reddy? Yer ma seyz she gun na break mehz off uh peese.  Make dem sey uh...  

GWB43's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-31

snaggletooth wrote:GWB43 wrote: snaggletooth wrote:GWB43 wrote:What iz da hiring procedure dere? What iz da Series 7? Can someone like me pass it? I need uh job..... w0rd!
 
 
I think someone who is smart enough to put George W. Bush's initials together followed by the number 43, in reference to GWB being the 43rd president of the United States of America, is smart enough to answer the questions you are asking.
 
 Really....I gots uh GWB43 motor on muh ma boat what 'chew thinking man?
 
Aw boi! Dats da crunk shiz nit. Iz diz u Tyrone? Whenz dat cornbread gun be reddy? Yer ma seyz she gun na break mehz off uh peese.  Make dem sey uh...  I love hanging wiff da homies what 'chew trippin foo'

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

GWB43 wrote: snaggletooth wrote:GWB43 wrote: snaggletooth wrote:GWB43 wrote:What iz da hiring procedure dere? What iz da Series 7? Can someone like me pass it? I need uh job..... w0rd!
 
 
I think someone who is smart enough to put George W. Bush's initials together followed by the number 43, in reference to GWB being the 43rd president of the United States of America, is smart enough to answer the questions you are asking.
 
 Really....I gots uh GWB43 motor on muh ma boat what 'chew thinking man?
 
Aw boi! Dats da crunk shiz nit. Iz diz u Tyrone? Whenz dat cornbread gun be reddy? Yer ma seyz she gun na break mehz off uh peese.  Make dem sey uh...  I love hanging wiff da homies what 'chew trippin foo'
 
Trippin? I aint trippin Jerome.  Iza jest needs a ride tah Roscoes 'cuz meh needs sum chickin 'n waffles foo'. Peace on playa.

GWB43's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-31

snaggletooth wrote:GWB43 wrote: snaggletooth wrote:GWB43 wrote: snaggletooth wrote:GWB43 wrote:What iz da hiring procedure dere? What iz da Series 7? Can someone like me pass it? I need uh job..... w0rd!
 
 
I think someone who is smart enough to put George W. Bush's initials together followed by the number 43, in reference to GWB being the 43rd president of the United States of America, is smart enough to answer the questions you are asking.
 
 Really....I gots uh GWB43 motor on muh ma boat what 'chew thinking man?
 
Aw boi! Dats da crunk shiz nit. Iz diz u Tyrone? Whenz dat cornbread gun be reddy? Yer ma seyz she gun na break mehz off uh peese.  Make dem sey uh...  I love hanging wiff da homies what 'chew trippin foo'
 
Trippin? I aint trippin Jerome.  Iza jest needs a ride tah Roscoes 'cuz meh needs sum chickin 'n waffles foo'. Peace on playa.Don't forget da fried chickn n` corn bread an' watermelon slap mah fro!

newrepd's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-21

I see a decent thread has gotten hijacked with a bunch of unnecessary racial stereotypes

IsOldSpiceRightForMe's picture
Joined: 2008-04-14

snaggletooth wrote:Whenz dat cornbread gun be reddy?
 
Cornbread, mo like some mutha fugin corn rolls neya.  Bom bo bom bump, there goes the neighborhood.  (that's Ice Cube for you crackers, Ice Cube is a rapper for you old crackers)

GWB43's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-31

IsOldSpiceRightForMe wrote:snaggletooth wrote:Whenz dat cornbread gun be reddy?
 
Cornbread, mo like some mutha fugin corn rolls neya.  Bom bo bom bump, there goes the neighborhood.  (that's Ice Cube for you crackers, Ice Cube is a rapper for you old crackers)Ice Cube iz old skoo Try listening ta 50 Cent...da bomb an don't make me pull mah gat!

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×