Jesus comes to Jones!

100 replies [Last post]
hotair1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-12

Fellow Jone's ... It's a great day.  As I read these forums is obvious Jesus has come to Jones and his name is Hot Air.  It sure is "WINDY" in here.  This guy is so good he get's 25 f2f contacts just by knocking on 12 doors. People move money over to him just for a golf ball and him telling them how stupid they were.  This guy is amazing.  I am telling you he is super awesome.  Heck he get's 200k accounts just on the first knock!!!!!!!Jesus, welcome to Jones.  We love you and will worship you.

Johnny Roast Beef's picture
Joined: 2008-02-12

Don't get too upset.  Either he's not a rookie or he's being disigenuous.  Rookies at EDJ can't even spell UIT after two months much less figure out they can avoid the bond aggregation rule by "diversifying" with them.  

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Yeah I kinda agree. I spoke with many newbies at KYC and Eval/Grad and for the most part they new 1/10 of Wind's vast knowledge. And for someone that is new to the industry it just seems to much to be true (numbers, lingo, termenology and free time to post it all). I would say there is a chance that someone is posting on here how easy and wonderful EJ is but to be honest about it, these claims just make me discouraged and realize just how much I apparently suck! I thought I had a good understanding about the industry, espeacially compared to the others in KYC/Eval/Grad, but compared to Wind I feel like the others at KYC/Eval/Grad. I thought I was a hard worker, but compared to this guy I am no where near where I should be. So, if you are new to the industry and a newbie two months out I say congrats and get off this board because no one will believe you or will leave you alone or quit F'n around and making sh*t up.

Johnny Roast Beef's picture
Joined: 2008-02-12

JAXSON, he's not a rookie slugging it out door to door putting up those numbers.  Even if he were taking over a decent book, a new/new wouldn't have ramped up that fast - trails included.  If he did, it was a large book which then, almost by definition, he would be a seasoned vet from another firm.  Jones does not place former band roadies in a choice open office.  

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

I think  you're all just jealous because he MIGHT actually be putting those numbers on the board.
 
Let's cover some basic facts: 
One - He's been doorknocking in the worst market in decades, possibly since late 20's early 30's. 
Two - People are unhappy with their performance.
Three - The mighty have fallen.  All those fancy firms like Merrill, Wachovia, et al have all been thrown into a tailspin from which they could not recover without assistance. 
Four - Advisors appear to be more concerned about their transition package or retention bonus than their client's portfolio. 
Five - Fee based accounts in general (along with commission based) have been decimated.  Why pay a 1.75% fee on an account when a) it goes down like the market and b) you don't hear from your advisor.  People are pinching pennies and if someone can show them a way to save some pennies over the long run, they'll jump.
Six - He's doing the work. 
 
Sure, he may be lying through his teeth.  However, you put all of the considerations above into the mix and it's no wonder he's opening accounts at the door.  People are willing to talk to just about anyone who they think might be able to save them.  Here comes a guy in a suit with a business card that says Financial Advisor.  Surely he can't do any worse than the last guy did. 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

I am not saying it is impossible. I am saying, for a newbie that has just entered the industry, to do this is the stretch for me. Think back Jonesies. There is not enough time in the day. Prospects are easy to find right now but most of the FA's in my area are too busy saving their own business to take a newbie under their wing. I think there has to be an angle or he can stop time to learn, catch up or whatever. If I were single and moved to a town were I did't know anyone that could distract me then I could do this in a 12 hour day maybe.

Johnny Roast Beef's picture
Joined: 2008-02-12

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I think  you're all just jealous because he MIGHT actually be putting those numbers on the board.
 
Let's cover some basic facts: 
One - He's been doorknocking in the worst market in decades, possibly since late 20's early 30's. 
Two - People are unhappy with their performance.
Three - The mighty have fallen.  All those fancy firms like Merrill, Wachovia, et al have all been thrown into a tailspin from which they could not recover without assistance. 
Four - Advisors appear to be more concerned about their transition package or retention bonus than their client's portfolio. 
Five - Fee based accounts in general (along with commission based) have been decimated.  Why pay a 1.75% fee on an account when a) it goes down like the market and b) you don't hear from your advisor.  People are pinching pennies and if someone can show them a way to save some pennies over the long run, they'll jump.
Six - He's doing the work. 
 
Sure, he may be lying through his teeth.  However, you put all of the considerations above into the mix and it's no wonder he's opening accounts at the door.  People are willing to talk to just about anyone who they think might be able to save them.  Here comes a guy in a suit with a business card that says Financial Advisor.  Surely he can't do any worse than the last guy did. 
 
Yeah...OK Spiff.  You've convinced me

Johnny Roast Beef's picture
Joined: 2008-02-12

Johnny Roast Beef wrote:Spaceman Spiff wrote:I
Five - Fee based accounts in general (along with commission based) have been decimated.   he can't do any worse than the last guy did. 
 
It's a good thing commission based (AmFds, VKAC, Frank/Temp) haven't been decimated, isn't it?

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

From time to time it seems like the Jones Vets on this site have some good thoughts, but those quickly disappear and you see the kool aid stains on their shirts. Its almost as if you can see in their posts exactly how far removed they are from the last regional meeting. Spiff obviously just returned from one.

buyandhold's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-09-23

fwiw, I'm with spiff. ... I'm hoping Wind is legit; could be a sign that prospects are tired of waiting and are ready to move.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I think  you're all just jealous because he MIGHT actually be putting those numbers on the board.
 
Let's cover some basic facts: 
One - He's been doorknocking in the worst market in decades, possibly since late 20's early 30's.  He says he's doorknocking
Two - People are unhappy with their performance.  Yes, and they trusted an advisor they got to know over several years, someone comes to the door, hands them an ICA guide and all of the sudden, they fall on their knees and give him their statements
Three - The mighty have fallen.  All those fancy firms like Merrill, Wachovia, et al have all been thrown into a tailspin from which they could not recover without assistance.  That wasn't the brokerage business - but I get your point 
Four - Advisors appear to be more concerned about their transition package or retention bonus than their client's portfolio.  Yes, so that they can maintain their standard of living while transferring their books.
Five - Fee based accounts in general (along with commission based) have been decimated.  Why pay a 1.75% fee on an account when a) it goes down like the market and Such as FT and American?  b) you don't hear from your advisor.   You got me on this one, but does not hearing from your advisor make you think he's not working - my concern would be if this guy is out doorknocking all of the time, when does he have time to "manage" my investments - and let's be honest, people think that's what you are doing all day no matter what you tell them.  People are pinching pennies and if someone can show them a way to save some pennies over the long run, they'll jump.   So they are going to pay a 3-5% commission when they are already down, further reducing the value of their investments
Six - He's doing the work.  He SAYS he's doing the wok.
 
Sure, he may be lying through his teeth.  However, you put all of the considerations above into the mix and it's no wonder he's opening accounts at the door.  People are willing to talk to just about anyone who they think might be able to save them.  Here comes a guy in a suit with a business card that says Financial Advisor.  Surely he can't do any worse than the last guy did. 

Lou Mannheim, CFP's picture
Joined: 2009-01-31

Spiffy, you're usually pretty level headed so I choose my words wisely, blow your nose and something green will come out and it sure isn't what you might think. "Here comes a guy in suit with a business card that says Financial Advisor". It could also be Bernie Madoff Jr..who else would be going door to door.
 
I met with a current Jones client today, had a million, now has $600,000 all in growth and aggressive growth funds (I'm from Canada, no breakpoints to dodge). Client says he had to initiate every conversation and when I asked him what he was trying to do with his money he said, "trying to make as much as I can safely". Small business owner, makes $40k a year, 55 years old and can live on less in retirement. Very simple questions regarding goals and experience that were never asked. 
 
This crap about waling up to a door and "can't do any worse that the last guy did" doesn't resonate with a guy that had a million and won't get it back before retirement. 

buyandhold's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-09-23

Lou Mannheim, CFP wrote:Spiffy, you're usually pretty level headed so I choose my words wisely, blow your nose and something green will come out and it sure isn't what you might think. "Here comes a guy in suit with a business card that says Financial Advisor". It could also be Bernie Madoff Jr..who else would be going door to door.
 
I met with a current Jones client today, had a million, now has $600,000 all in growth and aggressive growth funds (I'm from Canada, no breakpoints to dodge). Client says he had to initiate every conversation and when I asked him what he was trying to do with his money he said, "trying to make as much as I can safely". Small business owner, makes $40k a year, 55 years old and can live on less in retirement. Very simple questions regarding goals and experience that were never asked. 
 
This crap about waling up to a door and "can't do any worse that the last guy did" doesn't resonate with a guy that had a million and won't get it back before retirement. I can picture this one pretty easily. EJ broker lands a million dollar account, consults his model portfolios, gives the client a risk tolerance quiz and suggests he do 65 pct stocks, 35 pct bonds. That's the home office recommendation.. Guy says, 'I have 10 years to retire, I need to grow my money, bonds are for sissies.' EJ broker agrees to put him 75 pct in stocks, feels good that he's got some fixed income in there. Over the last year, portfolio starts to go down. EJ broker sees Lehman fail and thinks, 'This can't be good,' but the advice he gets is that this is just a normal cycle and if he holds on the market will return, probably within the year. Shows this to the client. Investments continue to fall, broker keeps hearing the buy and hold, don't time the market, stay invested mantra. Doesn't call the client anymore because a) he doesn't believe the mantra, b) he's got prospecting to do and c) he can't make any money holding this guy's hand. So he hopes he market comes back. Of course, the investments don't come back. Bonds down. Large cap American Funds slaughtered. Home office finally admits that something has gone wrong, but never fear, even after 1929, stocks came back (20 years later!) .. Now the client goes to you, all of a sudden safety is important, and it's a fastball right down the middle for you. Not that this has happened to me.

Johnny Roast Beef's picture
Joined: 2008-02-12

buyandhold wrote:fwiw, I'm with spiff. ... I'm hoping Wind is legit; could be a sign that prospects are tired of waiting and are ready to move.
 
Actually, no you shouldn't.  What you should be hoping for is that, with hard work AND A REFUSAL TO QUIT, you can push through this extraordinarily difficult time and make a living over the next 12-24 months.  Survive that and the world is your oyster.  Never, ever compare yourself to an anomole (assuming he's not all BS).  Outwork your counterparts, refuse to quit and be happy with a livable wage for now.  Do that and you'll be a crusty old veteran down the road telling all the young bucks about building a book through the Great Recession.  Compare yourself to bogus numbers like these and all you'll do is become more demoralized day by day.  You have to figure out what makes you different and REFUSE TO QUIT.  Back in the early '90s my sales manager told me that as long as my fear of picking up the phone was greater than my fear of failing in the business, I might as well quit now.  Don't do that. 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

.

Sam Houston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-01

I'm not coming here anymore and i am deleting my username

 
 
Mourning will be held in the Lounge tomorrow at 10 a.m.

Sportsfreakbob's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-24

ok Windy - i dont know what it is about you that set me off. I am not one of the guys that often just goes off on people here. I think its just your hot sh*t attitude. I'm trying to be constructive here, really. You just need to dial it down a bit.Now, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that what you are saying about the 4% wrap fee is what you believe to be true. Which means there is something you are missing.I have been with SB for more than a few years. I know the systems inside and out. There is NO WAY that a client would ever ever ever ever be charged 4%. If an FA put thru a contract  for an account to be managed by Lord Abbett, or any other outside or inside manager, that contained a 4% fee, the home office would kick it out - reject it - it is not allowed - N-O=T  A-L-L-O-W-E-D. Period!!!!!!!!!!! So maybe the client was being charged on more than one account on one contract and the fee was being taken from the 300 k account, but applied to that plus another 300k account. But there is no way the client was chaged a 4% fee.Now, on the other hand, lucky you, that you believed and the client believed that 4% was correct. That allowed you to dive in and save the client from the big bad SB Broker! And i give you credit for that, as i am sure all of my colleagues do.Hope this helps. It was really meant to be constructive.

buyandhold's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-09-23

Johnny Roast Beef wrote:buyandhold wrote:fwiw, I'm with spiff. ... I'm hoping Wind is legit; could be a sign that prospects are tired of waiting and are ready to move.
 
Actually, no you shouldn't.  What you should be hoping for is that, with hard work AND A REFUSAL TO QUIT, you can push through this extraordinarily difficult time and make a living over the next 12-24 months.  Survive that and the world is your oyster.  Never, ever compare yourself to an anomole (assuming he's not all BS).  Outwork your counterparts, refuse to quit and be happy with a livable wage for now.  Do that and you'll be a crusty old veteran down the road telling all the young bucks about building a book through the Great Recession.  Compare yourself to bogus numbers like these and all you'll do is become more demoralized day by day.  You have to figure out what makes you different and REFUSE TO QUIT.  Back in the early '90s my sales manager told me that as long as my fear of picking up the phone was greater than my fear of failing in the business, I might as well quit now.  Don't do that. I've known FAs who have come out of the box with 10k months right away. It's not that unusual. They are usually very skilled, very prepared, have a good mentor. I've known FAs who have hit milestones ahead of me. Never discouraged me, never made me jealous. More power to them.  I'm doing what you say, learning and surviving. This is a tough market and I'm glad to hear you say so. ... The FAs who start quickly are -- and I don't mean this personally against Wind -- but they are hard-assed, relentless, probably people you might not like in a forum like this. They hard sell, and hard selling works. I find it motivating that a young guy can start fast by doorknocking. I do find it discouraging when people say that you can't succeed by doorknocking, because knocking on doors is all I've got. No assets to start, no natural network, no cousin with a CPA feeding me clients. So I hope wind is for real and unless I learn otherwise, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

.

Sam Houston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-01

Windy you doth protest too much.  I thought you were leaving. 

Sportsfreakbob's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-24

i will repeat myself - no managed account would ever be approved at 4%, unless it were an Alternative Investment, Hedge Fund, etc. Ever. You are missing something. 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

.

Philo Kvetch's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-17

What's the matter with you people???? This is the best prospecting weather we've had in 10 years! No one is happy with their broker. Now is the time to crawl out from under your desk and get with it!!

Is this guy really putting up these numbers? The better question is, "Why should I care?" I'm far more interested in the numbers I'M putting up. People, get prospecting!!! If you can't open accounts in this environment, you're not right for this business.

Baba Booey's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-05

wind3574 wrote:Sports - It was a 4% fee on the account. I know you have been with them for however long, but it truly was a 4% fee. It's simple math man. On a $300,000 LB managed account he had paid $3000 A QUARTER for the last 2 quarters. Break it down man. $3000 x 4 = $12000/$300000 = 4%. No way around it, thats what he was paying on that account alone.
 
I didn't just believe this Sports because at first I thought we were missing something, because thats un-ethical but I had him call his advisor to verify it and the advisor said, "Oh sorry, we can cut it in half to 1.9%". Thats the honest truth. Thats why the client switched, not just because of the fee's but because the advisor waited until he found out, to cut the rate. He moved his account to me, not because of fees but because of un-ethical practices and he had built alot of trust in me and believed I would be honest with him. I know you work there, but that doesn't mean I'm lying. Take my word for it, I'm not..... I'm sure there are plenty of things that happen at Jones that I would not believe could ever happen, but somehow they do...and instead of automatically calling someone a liar....I tend to believe people mean well....and are not all liars....
 
Just for the record...I didn't start getting any attitude until I was being scrutinized for my numbers...I was just trying to reply to posts with a positive attitude and a story of success from a newbie in a bad market. Instead of encouraging the positiveness in the posts you guys joined together in multiple pages of bashing my honesty. We are all adults, and thats quite childish. Door knocking sucks, starting a new job in a busines that you know nothing about sucks...I know..I am still doing it.
 
Hell I've even been called a liar that i've not ever done this before, because "only someone with industry knowledge can be successful"....I mean thats absurd...Do you guys really think that a newbie could never have the drive and intelligence to study hard and develop knowledge early? I don't know everything but I've been awefully successful and I'm trying to be encouraging to other new guys....and it's funny that it's all veterans who seem to have issue with it....maybe because i'm off to a much better start that they had?...Just because you can't doesnt mean a newbie can't....In fact, maybe thats the difference in most people and myself....What you don't do, is reason for me to find a way to make sure I get it done....
 
It's actually pretty funny that Windy thinks wire advisors have the ability to charge whatever they want...there is absolutely no way any firm in the industry has a 4% wrap fee.  I've called on all the majors, the biggest I've ever seen is 225bps, most are between 100 - 150bps....depending on allocation.
 
Shows how sheltered Jone's advisors are from the fee business..

Philo Kvetch's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-17

I can't imagine any firm's system even allowing an advisor to enter 4% without flashing red.

Sam Houston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-01

wind3574 wrote:Ok Sports.......I'm finished arguing...your right. Your company could NEVER do anything un-ethical. What was I thinking. Hope you've enjoyed some of my tax dollars.....I'm done here..
 
I simply disliked this little "look at me" prick until this post.  This statement is similar to many others he has made, makes an emotional point, but not based anywhere near fact.  I don't think he is lying, I think he is stupid and too arrogant to find the truth as that would mess up his little pitch.  Still waiting for you B share vs A share example, although  I know you will not post it Windy because it does not exist. 

Sportsfreakbob's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-24

Baba Booey wrote:It's actually pretty funny that Windy thinks wire advisors have the ability to charge whatever they want...there is absolutely no way any firm in the industry has a 4% wrap fee.  I've called on all the majors, the biggest I've ever seen is 225bps, most are between 100 - 150bps....depending on allocation.
 
Shows how sheltered Jone's advisors are from the fee business..THANK YOU!!!!!!

Sam Houston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-01

The ironic thing about this entire discussion is that I have a nice chunk of money paying me 4%.  It is possible, just not in a fee based account.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Moraen wrote:Spaceman Spiff wrote:I think  you're all just jealous because he MIGHT actually be putting those numbers on the board.
 
Let's cover some basic facts: 
One - He's been doorknocking in the worst market in decades, possibly since late 20's early 30's.  He says he's doorknocking - If I told you folks I just landed a $375K account from a doorknock I made last week, you'd believe me.  Wind does it and he's a liar.  Yes, it's an internet forum, he could be lying.  Spears could be really bored and having some fun with us.  I just choose to believe Wind is for real.  Mostly because we have a guy in our area that hit Seg 5 in the shortest amount of time possible.  Last I looked this rookie was out performing our RL.
Two - People are unhappy with their performance.  Yes, and they trusted an advisor they got to know over several years, someone comes to the door, hands them an ICA guide and all of the sudden, they fall on their knees and give him their statements - If you actually read what he said originally about his contacts, some of these people have ben contacted two or three times.  Most of them at least twice in person.  I don't know what he's saying at the door.  What I have learned in the doorknocks I've made recently is that people are pretty willing to listen to just about anyone.  And they don't know if he's the new guy or if he's been in the biz for over a decade like me.
Three - The mighty have fallen.  All those fancy firms like Merrill, Wachovia, et al have all been thrown into a tailspin from which they could not recover without assistance.  That wasn't the brokerage business - but I get your point 
Four - Advisors appear to be more concerned about their transition package or retention bonus than their client's portfolio.  Yes, so that they can maintain their standard of living while transferring their books. - I understand that.  And I continue to use it to my advantage every day.  If you haven't called or met with your clients because you don't know where you're going to move your practice to, then don't be suprised if they don't move with you. 
Five - Fee based accounts in general (along with commission based) have been decimated.  Why pay a 1.75% fee on an account when a) it goes down like the market and Such as FT and American?  b) you don't hear from your advisor.   You got me on this one, but does not hearing from your advisor make you think he's not working - my concern would be if this guy is out doorknocking all of the time, when does he have time to "manage" my investments - and let's be honest, people think that's what you are doing all day no matter what you tell them. - Yes, it does make me think that.  The client's assumption when they don't hear from their advisor is that their advisor isn't watching their money.  They think, surely he would have called and told me to what to think about this.  Some kind of word would have been nice.  Those folk might think I'm out doorknocking all day.  But when I call in a month to check in, they'll start to understand how it works.   People are pinching pennies and if someone can show them a way to save some pennies over the long run, they'll jump.   So they are going to pay a 3-5% commission when they are already down, further reducing the value of their investments - Yeah, see, this is a really simple discussion to have with folks.  Mr. Client, you just paid what's his name, 1.5% this year, you'll pay him that next year, and the year after that.  That's 4.5%.  Now, I realize it's a big expense on the front end, but you could just pay a commission of 3.5% right now, on what will probably be your smallest account value for the rest of  your life, and not pay another commission on those dollars as long as we keep it with this fund family.  Oh yeah, you'll continue to pay him that 1.5% a year on those dollars, whether they go up or down, for the rest of your life.  So over, the next 30 years that could end up being $75,000.  That's a lot of money.  In fact I could probably go out and buy that new Corvette with $75,000.  The question is, do you want me to park it in your driveway or mine?
 
Now, I'm not opposed to a fee based relationship.  Working on some myself.  But if I'm the new guy trying to win clients, that's exactly how I'd sell against it. 
Six - He's doing the work.  He SAYS he's doing the work. - Yeah, you're right.  He says he is.  I believe him.  You don't.   
 
Sure, he may be lying through his teeth.  However, you put all of the considerations above into the mix and it's no wonder he's opening accounts at the door.  People are willing to talk to just about anyone who they think might be able to save them.  Here comes a guy in a suit with a business card that says Financial Advisor.  Surely he can't do any worse than the last guy did. 

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Johnny Roast Beef wrote:Johnny Roast Beef wrote:Spaceman Spiff wrote:I
Five - Fee based accounts in general (along with commission based) have been decimated.   he can't do any worse than the last guy did. 
 
It's a good thing commission based (AmFds, VKAC, Frank/Temp) haven't been decimated, isn't it?
 
I see you have a reading comprehension problem.  So, I highlighted the words that should have covered this in my original post.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Ron 14 wrote:From time to time it seems like the Jones Vets on this site have some good thoughts, but those quickly disappear and you see the kool aid stains on their shirts. Its almost as if you can see in their posts exactly how far removed they are from the last regional meeting. Spiff obviously just returned from one.
 
The only thing that is obvious to me, is that many of you weren't ever any good at doorknocking. 
 
Was there something inaccurate or not plausible with my post?  Or you just don't agree with me, so I'm obviously just drinking the kool-aid?
 
See, that's what I find funny with you folks.  If something good is happening either at Jones or to a Jones guy, we're lying, or cheating the clients, or lying to the clients, or it's the evil GPs, or we're drinking the kool-aid.   It certainly couldn't be someone working hard, saying what people are hungry to hear right now, and doing a good job.  No, certainly not.  You have to struggle, go broke, run through your savings, hit goals, and THEN you get to be a successful vet at Jones.  Anyone who doesn't follow that track must obviously be lying.   

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Spiff - do you still believe him? Read my post on how he said he had a $10,000 gross day, yet somehow was out of the office that same week.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Oh, and you are right we would believe you if you transferred a $375k account in a day. You've earned it and you've been doing this job for a while.

Philo Kvetch's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-17

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Ron 14 wrote:From time to time it seems like the Jones Vets on this site have some good thoughts, but those quickly disappear and you see the kool aid stains on their shirts. Its almost as if you can see in their posts exactly how far removed they are from the last regional meeting. Spiff obviously just returned from one.
 
The only thing that is obvious to me, is that many of you weren't ever any good at doorknocking. 
 
Was there something inaccurate or not plausible with my post?  Or you just don't agree with me, so I'm obviously just drinking the kool-aid?
 
See, that's what I find funny with you folks.  If something good is happening either at Jones or to a Jones guy, we're lying, or cheating the clients, or lying to the clients, or it's the evil GPs, or we're drinking the kool-aid.   It certainly couldn't be someone working hard, saying what people are hungry to hear right now, and doing a good job.  No, certainly not.  You have to struggle, go broke, run through your savings, hit goals, and THEN you get to be a successful vet at Jones.  Anyone who doesn't follow that track must obviously be lying.   

By the same token Spiff, I notice that when one of the flock leaves Jones it's because he was no good, a compliance problem or not suited to the business. It's never that the broker and Edward D. Jones weren't a good fit.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Philo- don't paint me with that brush.  I'm not naive enough to think that EDJ is the only place someone could be happy in this biz.  In fact, I don't think you'll find anyone on this forum from Jones that you could say that about. 
 
Now, does it get said in the regions?  Sure. 
 
Wind - OK, I have to tell you, all the periods in that last post make me think of the bspears postings that I've seen.  He writes in the same kind of style.  I'm hoping April 1 doesn't pop up and we find out it's a big April Fools day prank.  If it is, kudos to the one pulling it off. 
 
If it's not, keep your nose to the grindstone.  You never know when those big accounts stop flowing. 

Philo Kvetch's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-17

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Philo- don't paint me with that brush.  I'm not naive enough to think that EDJ is the only place someone could be happy in this biz.  In fact, I don't think you'll find anyone on this forum from Jones that you could say that about. 
 
Now, does it get said in the regions?  Sure. 
 
Wind - OK, I have to tell you, all the periods in that last post make me think of the bspears postings that I've seen.  He writes in the same kind of style.  I'm hoping April 1 doesn't pop up and we find out it's a big April Fools day prank.  If it is, kudos to the one pulling it off. 
 
If it's not, keep your nose to the grindstone.  You never know when those big accounts stop flowing. 

It has been said on these boards many times by Jones people. And for the record, I simply made the same sort of generalization that you've made.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

I've not noticed it recently.  Of course, I've not been looking for it either.  I'll take your word for it. 

Johnny Roast Beef's picture
Joined: 2008-02-12

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Johnny Roast Beef wrote:Johnny Roast Beef wrote:Spaceman Spiff wrote:I
Five - Fee based accounts in general (along with commission based) have been decimated.   he can't do any worse than the last guy did. 
 
It's a good thing commission based (AmFds, VKAC, Frank/Temp) haven't been decimated, isn't it?
 
I see you have a reading comprehension problem.  So, I highlighted the words that should have covered this in my original post.
 
I see you have the need to distinguish between fee based and commission based even though it's apprently irrelevant.  Should I assume then that VA's were not decimated?  Why the need to list them both then? 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

.

Sam Houston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-01

Windy, this business is not the "pat little johnny on the head" type of business.  If you need your ego stroked, call your mother.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

.

Sam Houston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-01

Thats a lot of words for someone trying not to argue.

Johnny Roast Beef's picture
Joined: 2008-02-12

[quote=
I heard a quote once...
"Arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics, even if you win your still retarded"....I think that applies to quite a few people here....
 
Just out of curiosity, have you ever known, or been related to, anyone that either competed in the special olympics or that you might say is "retarded"?  If so, hwo did you know this person and how specifically would you consider this person "retarded"?

Johnny Roast Beef's picture
Joined: 2008-02-12

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Ron 14 wrote:  No, certainly not.  You have to struggle, go broke, run through your savings, hit goals, and THEN you get to be a successful vet at Jones.  Anyone who doesn't follow that track must obviously be lying.   
 
It took what, 1400 plus posts to finally see the light?

Sportsfreakbob's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-24

"Arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics, even if you win your still retarded"OK Windy - you win - that was one of the funniest quotes i've seen on these boards!!!!

Baba Booey's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-05

This board is full of Jones brokers...Lord can I get a true advisor to chat with.  All I hear is door knocking, 5.75 commish biz and 30 year bonds.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

wind3574 wrote: Just so you know Moraen...I posted the $10,000 Wed at 11:49...and Posted that I am out of town Friday....Friday-Friday....So now is it impossible for someone to have a good day and leave town the next?.....Wait i guess thats true...cause if I posted a good day Thursday then my car wouldn't start the next day...causing an explosion in Iraq which would send nukes to the U.S, and that would make me still have to be in my office the next day...I guess your right....
Oh and by the way....I said i'm out of town, not dead. Last time I checked there was this thing called a phone.....and it's really cool..No matter where you are...you can STILL call people....Out of town doesn't mean I don't make a few calls a day...and i've made money over that thing before...
 
Thanks Spiff...It's nice to know someone in here....has a little bit of class.....One thing I have noticed in ALL successful Vets....they are all positive.....no wonder everyone in here thinks amazing things can't happen...

Like I said, I knew you'd have an excuse, it only took you a couple of days to come up with it.... you left town and the first thing you did was pop up Registered Rep? You said that you were out of town for the week and that's why you were posting so much. Which was it, you were out of town for a week, or you weren't? I don't get it.

And I know that you can use the phone. Unfortunately, you cannot make trades from "out of town" unless you are using someone else's office (which I admit is a possibility). So don't tell me how the system works windy, I've been there. Just because you sell something over the phone doesn't magically make it into your commission screen.

You are right about one thing... Spiff has class. You however, don't. You also might want to work on your grammar a little bit, people are touchy about details like that.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Johnny Roast Beef wrote:Spaceman Spiff wrote:Johnny Roast Beef wrote:Johnny Roast Beef wrote:Spaceman Spiff wrote:I
Five - Fee based accounts in general (along with commission based) have been decimated.   he can't do any worse than the last guy did. 
 
It's a good thing commission based (AmFds, VKAC, Frank/Temp) haven't been decimated, isn't it?
 
I see you have a reading comprehension problem.  So, I highlighted the words that should have covered this in my original post.
 
I see you have the need to distinguish between fee based and commission based even though it's apprently irrelevant.  Should I assume then that VA's were not decimated?  Why the need to list them both then? 
 
No.  I put that parenthetical statement in because I knew, from thousands of posts on this forum, that if I didn't I'd get idiots like you pop up and say something retarded like you just did.  Evidently I underestimated your level of idiocy.   
 
The point was in another post wind said that he was moving money out of fee based biz into his commission based format.  If I'm ever going to sell against fee based, now is certainly the time to do it.  Now is also the time to sell against mutual fund portfolios with no income guarantees.  Heck, you could pick just about anything to sell against right now and you could make a pretty good arguement.  Heard the local financial talk show host's ad on the radio this morning basically saying buy and hold doesn't work so you need to come see him so he can fix your portfolio.
   

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×