Going to AG Ed from Indy....

18 replies [Last post]
CCrider's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-22

Question.....How easy is it to get hired a AG Ed after being only independent for 8 months?  Came from insurance business.  Entered a partnership and it fell apart as quick as it started. 
Bottomline, I realize that if you want to be an advisor you shouldn't go indy until you learn the ropes.  BTW, I have a 6,63 and 65.  No 7 yet.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

Yep, you're AG Edwards wet dream.  No Series 7 and two jobs within the last year--a real keeper.
Why did you not get a Series 7 when you were in the partnership?  To this old guy that sounds like being lazy--but there might be another reason.
Did you take Series 7 and fail it?  If so, how many times?
Why did you leave the insurance industry?  How were you doing there?  How many clients do you have, and how about that always important AUM?
Too many unknowns to possibly answer your question.

vbrainy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-26

Ignore that idiot Put Trader/NASD
Any reputable firm is going to hire you based on your Business Plan.  That means the detail of how you are going to bring in Assets and Revenue.  What are your networks?  How many people do you know that would invest with you.
On top of that, a great firm like AGE is going to look at WHY you want to be in this business.  They are not going to take a chance on someone who is in it for the money only.  They are going to look for someone who has a passion for the industry and for helping people.
You need to be able to answer the simple question of: Why do you want to be a Financial Advisor?
 

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

vbrainy wrote:
They are going to look for someone who has a passion for the industry and for helping people.

There it is again, the simpleton, "I have a passion for helping people."
This is not the priesthood.

CCrider's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-22

Hey NASD,
You are such a chucklehead.  Did I tell you how long I was in the insurance biz?  Oh, I get it you just assume stuff...
I'll go ahead and assume this...It is extremely clear that you hate your life. I go to this board to see intelligent conversation and answers and all you do is pound on people.  At 6:30 in the freakin morning to boot. It's like you can't wait to do it.  What a loser...
So, if you have nothing intelligent to add just shut up, go home to your miserable life, kick your dog, look yourself in the mirror and realize that you are a complete fraud to yourself, your "friends" and your spouse (if you have one.  My guess is you are divorced).
 
 

CCrider's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-22

One other thing.  I haven't taken the 7 yet.  Didn't see a need for it.  Are you telling me that you are going to do better then a fund manager?  Please. 
Hey, I know lots of guys that have 7s.  Some are cool and others are dingbats, like you.  It's like saying you have a bigger house than me , so you must be better than me.  When actually it means that you are just an a$$.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

What about your petulent outburst changes the realities that you've had two jobs in less than a year and are not licensed to do business as an AG Edwards broker?
What about your petulent outburst changes the fact that somebody is going to ask you why you left the insurance business in the first place?
What about your petulent outburst changes the fact that somebody is going toask you about how many clients you have and how many dollars you can transfer to AG Edwards?
You have no right to expect the questions to be softballs--and it appears that you don't have what is desirable in a producer at AG Edwards.
Tough to hear, but true nonetheless.
You're dismissed.

babbling looney's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-02

CCrider wrote:
One other thing.  I haven't taken the 7 yet.  Didn't see a need for it.  Are you telling me that you are going to do better then a fund manager?  Please. 
Hey, I know lots of guys that have 7s.  Some are cool and others are dingbats, like you.  It's like saying you have a bigger house than me , so you must be better than me.  When actually it means that you are just an a$$.

If you are going to be in this business you NEED to have the Series 7 or you will never be able to bring all the client's business into your book.   Do you just want to just manage the clients mutual funds and variable annuities and leave the rest of the pie on the table for somebody else to grab?  
It has nothing to do with being better than a fund manager. It has to do with being able to do a complete and comprehensive job for the client....not to mention keeping the client's business.

CCrider's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-22

AUM in the insurance business?  What have I been missing?  Do I add all of the premium or face amounts together to come up with AUM? 
You have know clue about what is going on in my life or anyone else for that matter.  I got out of the insurance biz after 4 years because it's not what I liked.  Period.  The more exposed I got to the business, the more I realized I like the financial planning/investment side of it.  Couldn't do it where I was at. 
You scan this board like a freak that scans child porn.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

CCrider wrote:
AUM in the insurance business?  What have I been missing?  Do I add all of the premium or face amounts together to come up with AUM? 
You have know clue about what is going on in my life or anyone else for that matter.  I got out of the insurance biz after 4 years because it's not what I liked.  Period.  The more exposed I got to the business, the more I realized I like the financial planning/investment side of it.  Couldn't do it where I was at. 
You scan this board like a freak that scans child porn.

I've told you a million times to stop using hyperbole!
Don't say that in an interview--insurance is financial planning.
You asked if those who are reading this forum think AG Edwards would be interested in you.
I don't believe they would and I said that.  You didn't like the answer so you get all pissy and start whining.
Those are not good traits in a person who is going to live or die based on their ability to deal with reality.

CCrider's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-22

Babbling looney,
I realize that and fully intend to get it.  I just don't have it now.  My question would AG Ed be interested w/out a 7?
Thanks for your input.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

Another thing.  Look at your opening question:
"How EASY is it to get hired by AG Edwards.....
Somebody who was up to the challenges of this business would ask, "How difficult is it to get hired..." not how easy is it.
You're just another slacker looking for a career that will let you do as little as possible.

CCrider's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-22

NASD,
My intent was to get an honest answer.  Not to have someone start making a bunch of assumptions about me.
It's like my daughter asking me how she did in her dance routine and me telling her, "Well, honey, you just sucked!" 
But you wouldn't understand that because you either have no kids or they hate you.
I know what you are going to say now.  "You need to take the truth" or "You can't handle the truth" or whatever movie line you want to use.  Just go back to your "sales" manager job and wipe the pop tart crumbs off of your Jerry Garcia tie before your boss walks in.
This is fun.....Give me more.

babbling looney's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-02

CCrider wrote:
Babbling looney,
I realize that and fully intend to get it.  I just don't have it now.  My question would AG Ed be interested w/out a 7?
Thanks for your input.

I don't know.  Why don't you ask someone who works there if they would take you on and sponsor you for the Series 7?  It may be that they have a program.  I know that Edward Jones does that all the time.  If AGE is not interested in you then you do have other options.
FYI:  I don't work at Jones although I did some years ago... so I am not trying to recruit you or discourage you, just inform you.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

CCrider wrote:
It's like my daughter asking me how she did in her dance routine and me telling her, "Well, honey, you just sucked!" 

You want to be treated like a little girl at a dance recital?
You really, really, don't have what it takes.  AG Edwards will give you one of their personality profiles and have a good laugh when you come across as being as masculine as John Mark Karr.
Little girl at a dance recital--good grief.

CCrider's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-22

You know what's funny is my flight instructor back in 88 told me the same thing.  I didn't have what it takes.  He didn't say that after I flew 52 sorties over Baghdad during the 1st Gulf, fighting for your freedom, Jacko.
Your a pi$$ant.  People like you make me sick.  When the Towers got hit on 9/11 all you probably did was look at the stock page the next day to see how you were affected.
 

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

CCrider wrote:
You know what's funny is my flight instructor back in 88 told me the same thing.  I didn't have what it takes.  He didn't say that after I flew 52 sorties over Baghdad during the 1st Gulf, fighting for your freedom, Jacko.
Your a pi$$ant.  People like you make me sick.  When the Towers got hit on 9/11 all you probably did was look at the stock page the next day to see how you were affected.

Ah, now you're a fighter pilot who became an insurance agent, then something at a mutual fund for a few weeks.
When were you the King of Siam--was that before or after your tenure as a top gun?

CCrider's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-22

You are good. I think I'm starting to like you.

Pandale's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-06-28

No personality profiles at AGE.  You'll get a math quiz to gauge your potential pass or fail on the 7.  Branch managers have been under some pressure to fill offices.  AGE has not been recruiting by dangling big bucks to producers like some other firms.  You'll get a look, and if you say the right things, you'll get a try.  It doesn't matter if you have a 7 or not.  If you're hired, then your first job responsibility will be to study for the 7. 

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×