Skip navigation

Gethardgetraw's 2009-2010 Cold Calling Journal

or Register to post new content in the forum

411 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Dec 1, 2009 4:41 pm

After lurking these forums for about a year now and PM’ing many of the successful posters for scripts, methods, and words of wisdom, I’ve decided to make my successes and failures public, and will use this journal to log my daily events. I hope to be kept accountable in determining my own success as rookie financial advisor.

I will not give too many details on commissions, number of opened accounts, percent above expectations (lol), my sources for phone numbers (ROOGLE), AUM, or anything that will allow my real identity to easily be detected, and I'd appreciate a bit of anonymity despit the fact I'm posting on a public online forum.

That being said, I'll give everyone a bit of background info. I'm a financial advisor for Edward Jones in the midwest. I'm a younger FA, and I've been selling for less than a year. I am currently above expectations.   I will primarily be cold calling residencies with municipal bonds. I plan on posting every day's results, including # of phone numbers dialed, number of prospects created,  number of clients created, and perhaps a rough estimate of commission received when someone bites.   This journal is by no means a means to flaunt my successes. I'll be the first to admit I have plenty to learn and many others make much more than me doing exactly the same thing. Let's hope this journal will help me fine-tune my skills as well as diminish my weaknesses.   In Brooklyn we go hard.
They don't know preferred stock from livestock.
If you can't cold call, you're a pussy.
If you mess with him, you mess with me and my whole f***in' crew.
I can go out there tonight with the materials you've got and make myself $15,000. Tonight! In two hours! Can you?
  Ok let's do this.
Dec 1, 2009 6:23 pm

Did your parents take it hard when you came out of the closet?

Dec 1, 2009 7:09 pm
SometimesNowhere:

Did your parents take it hard when you came out of the closet?

A response like this is unnecessary. Please ignore comments like this.  Some of us actually enjoy hearing about one's trials and tribulations.
Dec 1, 2009 8:36 pm

I am interested especially since you said what part of the country you are in. I wonder if it differs by area. Also because we know your firm I wonder if that plays a roll.

I think you should post the following: # of dials # of contacts(not prospects, just someone answering the phone) # of prospects # of clients # of sales Also # of hours it took to accomplish this
Dec 1, 2009 11:41 pm

I am waiting anxiously to hear about this.

Dec 1, 2009 11:56 pm

you scrubbing those numbers against the DNC before you cold call residences…or are you canadian, eh?

Dec 2, 2009 1:22 am

Where do you get your list?

Dec 2, 2009 1:38 am

I will post mine tomorrow…

Dec 2, 2009 8:31 pm

update?

Dec 2, 2009 8:45 pm

Yes please.

Dec 3, 2009 1:10 am
Did not work as hard as I should have today. Early morning commission (excuse), walk-in client (excuse), and late lunch with a friend (excuse) led to some weak numbers:
37 calls 0 prospects created 0 sales   I think clients created and sales is redundant, so I'll include sales only. Also, I don't think I'll be able to accurately log how many hours it took to call.    When a prospect eventually leads to a sale, I will include it in that current day's sales even though the original cold call was from a previous date. Furthermore, even though I earned commission from existing clients today, I will not include them in my cold calling journal.   I really didn't want to post today's results seeing how pathetic they were, but I'll stay true to my promise and post the good, the bad, and the ugly.   SometimesNowhere - brb taking my GF out for sushi Still@Jones - yes absolutely scrubbing against DNC RationalExuberance -   I'll hit it hard tomorrow I swear
Dec 3, 2009 1:46 am

You better hit it hard tomorrow!

You got all our hopes up - we thought we were going to get inspiration from you. 37 calls? Cmon. I did more than that today and I'm in the biz 10 years. No doubt most guys here did more than you. Inspire us tomorrow. (All this said constructively so dont tae it the wrong way) Tomorrow you need to get in the office early, and instead of having sushi with your girlfriend, get it in your head that the phone is not a phone - its Christina Aguilera, and your job it to bang it all day long.
Dec 3, 2009 2:15 am

167 dials

49 contacts 10 qualified and willing to hear back 15 I will continue to call to further qualify 24 back in the hopper to call again in about 2 months  
Dec 3, 2009 2:19 am

oh an 1 appt. kind of a cheap one… Prospect sounded interested, so reverted back to EDJ format and said I would be in the area Friday visiting a client and would like to stop by to show him an idea i have been using with a lot of my clients

Dec 3, 2009 2:28 am

[quote=chief123]167 dials

49 contacts 10 qualified and willing to hear back 15 I will continue to call to further qualify 24 back in the hopper to call again in about 2 months  [/quote]   What defines contact ? A decent convo or Hi Mr. Smith this is....dial tone?
Dec 3, 2009 2:37 am

No a contact is someone who actually talks back… “no thanks” I don’t consider that a contact, but I will call them back in 30 days

Dec 3, 2009 11:53 pm
Hit it a little harder today.   114 Calls 21 contacts 6 prospects created 0 sales   One lady asked about the YTM and quant. available and said she'll call back in the morning. Calling her back after 10am and crossing my fingers.
Dec 3, 2009 11:54 pm
I've adopted a new schedule:   7:30 AM - Arrive. Read emails, msgs, check inventories, headlines. Coffee, music 8:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 8:50 AM - Coffee, EAT, music, check market. 9:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 9:50 AM - Coffee, music 10:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 10:50 AM - Coffee, music 11:00 AM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 11:50 AM - Coffee, EAT, music, check market 12:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 12:50 PM - Coffee, music 1:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 1:50 PM - Coffee, music 2:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 2:50 PM - Coffee, EAT, music 3:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 3:50 PM - Coffee, music, check market 4:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 4:50 PM - Coffee, music 5:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 5:50 PM - EAT, music 6:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 6:50 PM - Music 7:00 PM - Pick up phone, start dialing cold calls 7:50 PM - Check tomorrow's schedule  8:00 PM - Leave
Dec 3, 2009 11:56 pm

I’m thinking about wrapping the handle of my phone with a few $1 bills 

Dec 3, 2009 11:57 pm

ok g2g have a regional holiday party an hour away gonna drink so much kool-aid