Edward Jones worth it?

90 replies [Last post]
Grinder's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-19

I got contacted by Edward Jones today an i always swore Id never work for them by hearing some ridiculous stories.  But a VP i know from Morgan Stanley says there training program is the best you will find out there.  But I'm not sure what to think of "cold walking" but pretty much think I wont be a big fan of it.  And I heard if I do not like the concept of Cold Walking there is nothing I can do about it because they can fine you up to 75,000 for leaving??  I know there is a lot of people here that work for Edward Jones so I was wondering what you guys thought of it.< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

someonewouldntexpect's picture
Joined: 2008-10-25

No.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

Let me guess..............
 
You want to start a Hedge fund?

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

F*cking ROOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Grinder wrote: I got contacted by Edward Jones today an i always swore Id never work for them by hearing some ridiculous stories.  But a VP i know from Morgan Stanley says there training program is the best you will find out there.  But I'm not sure what to think of "cold walking" but pretty much think I wont be a big fan of it.  And I heard if I do not like the concept of Cold Walking there is nothing I can do about it because they can fine you up to 75,000 for leaving??  I know there is a lot of people here that work for Edward Jones so I was wondering what you guys thought of it.< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

 
In general terms, yes, it's worth it.  For you, with your preconceived notions about not liking doorknocking, then no.  Why work for a company whose basic MO you don't agree with.  Why don't you ask the MSSB VP if you can work for him?  No doorknocking there. 

Grinder's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-19

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Grinder wrote: I got contacted by Edward Jones today an i always swore Id never work for them by hearing some ridiculous stories.  But a VP i know from Morgan Stanley says there training program is the best you will find out there.  But I'm not sure what to think of "cold walking" but pretty much think I wont be a big fan of it.  And I heard if I do not like the concept of Cold Walking there is nothing I can do about it because they can fine you up to 75,000 for leaving??  I know there is a lot of people here that work for Edward Jones so I was wondering what you guys thought of it.< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

 
In general terms, yes, it's worth it.  For you, with your preconceived notions about not liking doorknocking, then no.  Why work for a company whose basic MO you don't agree with.  Why don't you ask the MSSB VP if you can work for him?  No doorknocking there.  The program at MSSB I want to get into requires 5 years of experience.< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

You should try Primerica.  They're actually a branch of Citigroup who used to own Smith Barney.  It's about the same as EDJ, but no doorknocking requirement.  And they won't fine you if you leave. 

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

3rdyrp2 wrote:
You should try Primerica.  They're actually a branch of Citigroup who used to own Smith Barney.  It's about the same as EDJ, but no doorknocking requirement.  And they won't fine you if you leave. 
 

Grinder's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-19

3rdyrp2 wrote:You should try Primerica.  They're actually a branch of Citigroup who used to own Smith Barney.  It's about the same as EDJ, but no doorknocking requirement.  And they won't fine you if you leave.  hahhahahah Primerica is awful< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

Grinder,What you SHOULD be doing is this...1.  Why do you think you won't be a fan of door knocking?  Is it because it's talking to strangers and you won't like rejection?  If so, you should avoid the job of a financial advisor.  Is it because you don't want to be on your feet that much?  If this is the case, you should do this...Consider Edward Jones.  Once you are up and running, they don't care how you make the contacts, as long as you make them.  If you want to cold call, they don't care.  But keep in mind, if you are turned off by the PROSPECTING, regardless of the method, this is NOT the job for you.If prospecting via cold calling or walking won't bother you, in addition to EDJ, you should look at MSSB, UBS, WFA, ML, and probably also the insurance b/ds (NYL, Mass Mutual, NW Mutual, and Guardian).  You could even take a LOOK at some of the other semi-major, sorta-respected firms out there, if they are in your area (Waddell & Reed, Ameriprise, AXA, etc.).  Look at those firms that are in your area.  Apply at all of the ones that interest you, and make your decision from there.Keep this in mind:  As long as you are LEGAL, not a single firm in this industry will give a rats arse how you run your business, as long as you are producing.  I seriously think that a big producers could walk into a Merrill office in jeans and a wife beater, and the branch manager wouldn't say jack to him.  Produce, and do what you want.  Don't produce, and you're scewed.  The rules are simple.

fa09's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-03

Why not apply for mssb in whatever program and then move to the program you want later on? If you already disagree with EJ then don't do it. You will be miserable and fail.

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

Edward Jones has a great model as long as you buy into there system. If you try to come in and do things your way, you are going to FAIL.

It is either the Jones way, or the highway. I know from personal experience.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

In other words, you couldn't produce. 

The Duke's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-30

SMUSMU, I disagree.  Just like Ice said:  as long as you produce, they don't care how you do it.  If you're not getting 25 contacts a day by doorknocking, but you're getting a $1 million dollar client every week through cold calling, they're going to love you.  EDJ has some of the lowest rookie production standards out there.  They only train you to doorknock because they believe that is the best chance for rookie survival.  If you can gather assets and surpass goals by doing something else, DO IT!  Go to EDJ and prospect the same way you would at another firm, but if you can't cut it with Big Green, you're not going to cut it anyplace else.

Fooled No More's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-08-14

Jones isn't worth it.  You will go out an doorknock and try to drum up business but what will happen is that you will be hunting down people with 5K IRAs.  This isn't the way a new person should start in our business. I would advise you to take a look at a bank or credit Union. Get some experience and then move to another firm.  I would even advise people to work in a firms home office if you are located near one and keep your eyes out to see if there is anyone looking for a junior broker. 
 
Doorknocking is about as fun as running over your foot with a lawn mower.  The other things they don't tell you when going through "training" most people don't make it to a "Can Sell Date" and even fewer make it in the field.  I did build a business door to door but it will be a painful process.  If you go to Jones make sure you have some money saved up because you will need it to make ends meet. Year 1 is ok because of salary and low expectations, Year 2 little pay and lots of work, Year 3-7 runing on a treadmill and can't get off (always need new $$ to survive...............Year 8 ---Indpendent.  Live happy ever after!!!!

Otane's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-04

I would think if you door knocked a millionaire's home they would say a polite no thank you.

Spartacus's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-12-04

Look, we already know Grinder can't take rejection well. He is the one who whined about Merrill not giving him an interview after "failing" the personality test. I'm guessing the VP he knows as MSSB (which just means a FA producing $500,000+) is not willing to vouch for him to his BM. We all know MSSB is hiring like crazy, so if the VP thought he could do it, they would vouch for him and get him an interview if not a job.
I would say forget Jones. If you REALLY want to do this, find some small regional office with low benchmarks. Get in there, work your a$$ off and get used to rejection. Then if you are still in the business in 5 years maybe you can go work at MSSB.   

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

iceco1d wrote:In other words, you couldn't produce. 
Just what I was thinking. I, from personal experience, can attest to the fact that they couldn't care less how you prospect as long as you are exceeding expectations. I haven't knocked on a door since before Eval/Grad.

Bobby Lite's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-05

The program at MSSB requires a college degree AND/OR five years work experience.

HAcoreRD's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-04

SometimesNowhere wrote:Just what I was thinking. I, from personal experience, can attest to the fact that they couldn't care less how you prospect as long as you are exceeding expectations. I haven't knocked on a door since before Eval/Grad.

So in your calls, are you trying to sell a product or an appointment?

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Fooled No More wrote:Jones isn't worth it.  You will go out an doorknock and try to drum up business but what will happen is that you will be hunting down people with 5K IRAs.  This isn't the way a new person should start in our business. I would advise you to take a look at a bank or credit Union. Get some experience and then move to another firm.  I would even advise people to work in a firms home office if you are located near one and keep your eyes out to see if there is anyone looking for a junior broker. 
 
Doorknocking is about as fun as running over your foot with a lawn mower.  The other things they don't tell you when going through "training" most people don't make it to a "Can Sell Date" and even fewer make it in the field.  I did build a business door to door but it will be a painful process.  If you go to Jones make sure you have some money saved up because you will need it to make ends meet. Year 1 is ok because of salary and low expectations, Year 2 little pay and lots of work, Year 3-7 runing on a treadmill and can't get off (always need new $$ to survive...............Year 8 ---Indpendent.  Live happy ever after!!!!
 
I agree with almost everything above. The only problem is most banks won't hire you without licensing and/or some kind of track record of increased production.

B24's picture
B24
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08

The Duke wrote:SMUSMU, I disagree.  Just like Ice said:  as long as you produce, they don't care how you do it.  If you're not getting 25 contacts a day by doorknocking, but you're getting a $1 million dollar client every week through cold calling, they're going to love you.  EDJ has some of the lowest rookie production standards out there.  They only train you to doorknock because they believe that is the best chance for rookie survival.  If you can gather assets and surpass goals by doing something else, DO IT!  Go to EDJ and prospect the same way you would at another firm, but if you can't cut it with Big Green, you're not going to cut it anyplace else.
 
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!
 
Yes, the Jones trainers will harp on you in the beginning if you are struggling with your numbers and not doorknocking.  But if you are making or exceeding your (very modest) goals, IT WON'T MATTER HOW YOU ARE GETTING YOUR CLIENTS!  You could stand outside the local Taco Bell with a sandwich board that reads "FREE 401K REVIEWS".  If it gets you to your goals, you can basically thumb your nose at anyone that tells you to go doorknock.
Jones believes doorknocking is the most effective way to get started.  If you are NOT hitting your numbers, and you are NOT starting out the way Jones recommends (doorknocking), then what the hell do you expect them to do?
One thing that all firms have in common as far as "newbie" training, is that they preach that it's all about the numbers.  The mroe cotnacts, the better your odds of making it. 
I know many Jones FA's that never knocked on ONE door in the careers at Jones.  Not ONE.  And they are doing fine.  They probably lied to their trainers about doorknocking, but who cares?  They made their numbers.

52new's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-12-14

The best method is to find a legacy or goodnight with Jones. They will train better than anyone else. That's not necessarily a compliment, sine all training is piss poor, in my opinion. However, you will learn enough to get by. Then you find your own training resources. Sites like this have taught me quite a bit, between insults(I'm still trying to figure out if Qwiff face is an insult or wishful thinking). Jones doesn't pay much, so they don't really care if you make it or not. They are not your daddy, and that's fine. They will try to keep your book if you leave. But working in a neighborhood and getting to know the people in your community is wonderful. If you put your time and energy into being a good neighbor and making meaningful and rewarding relationships, you will do fine.

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

Fooled No More wrote:
Doorknocking is about as fun as running over your foot with a lawn mower.  The other things they don't tell you when going through "training" most people don't make it to a "Can Sell Date" and even fewer make it in the field.  I did build a business door to door but it will be a painful process.  If you go to Jones make sure you have some money saved up because you will need it to make ends meet. Year 1 is ok because of salary and low expectations, Year 2 little pay and lots of work, Year 3-7 runing on a treadmill and can't get off (always need new $$ to survive...............Year 8 ---Indpendent.  Live happy ever after!!!!

I never even made it to my "Can Sell Date". I came over to Jones licensed, and had never heard of a "Can Sell Date". When I started out at BAI as a licensed advisor, I was expected to start producing from Day 1. I expected training, which was a week in Tempe, was going to teach me the EDJ systems and technology. But instead it was a "Door-Knocking Convention". At the campus, at the hotel, everywhere there was "doorknocking". I guess there is no training required for the MS-DOS Order Entry.

When I returned from from Tempe, I tried to get my Can-Sell date so I could move over clients, but my ATL and Field Trainer was more worried about me completing my Blue Book, and doing my Regional Leader Exam. So no it is not all about producing, I had around 5mm to move over immediatley. I know that is not a huge number, but it would have been production.

I am not here to bash EDJ, I am just saying it is not for everyone.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

SMUSMU wrote: Fooled No More wrote:
Doorknocking is about as fun as running over your foot with a lawn mower.  The other things they don't tell you when going through "training" most people don't make it to a "Can Sell Date" and even fewer make it in the field.  I did build a business door to door but it will be a painful process.  If you go to Jones make sure you have some money saved up because you will need it to make ends meet. Year 1 is ok because of salary and low expectations, Year 2 little pay and lots of work, Year 3-7 runing on a treadmill and can't get off (always need new $$ to survive...............Year 8 ---Indpendent.  Live happy ever after!!!! I never even made it to my "Can Sell Date". I came over to Jones licensed, and had never heard of a "Can Sell Date". When I started out at BAI as a licensed advisor, I was expected to start producing from Day 1. I expected training, which was a week in Tempe, was going to teach me the EDJ systems and technology. But instead it was a "Door-Knocking Convention". At the campus, at the hotel, everywhere there was "doorknocking". I guess there is no training required for the MS-DOS Order Entry. When I returned from from Tempe, I tried to get my Can-Sell date so I could move over clients, but my ATL and Field Trainer was more worried about me completing my Blue Book, and doing my Regional Leader Exam. So no it is not all about producing, I had around 5mm to move over immediatley. I know that is not a huge number, but it would have been production. I am not here to bash EDJ, I am just saying it is not for everyone.
 
That isn't on EJ thats on you. You weren't willing to "play the game" and do the very basics that they asked of you. 5 million is some production, but then what ? Why the hell would Jones invest in you when you weren't going to provide them with a work ethic in return. It is so easy to go along with what they are telling you until you get things rolling. The only thing that gets in the way is ego. What happened to you has nothing to do with EJ.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Unless you were going to liquidate and transfer that $5MM, it wasn't production.  I can't even count the number of hotshots like you who used to come through my training class acting like they owned the place when they had a $5MM book and had been in the business for a year.  There was a reason you went through the normal training program and not the "I'm already a big boy" producing transfers class - you needed to start over.  You evidently weren't successful enough yet at BAI to be able to sit at the adults table at Jones.   
 
That blue book would have taken you a couple of hours.  The RL exam maybe a few more.  You could easily have done those two things in a day or two, depending on the RL's schedule.  KYC is about trying to create customers, not enter orders.  It's written specifically for those folks who come to Jones without any industry experience.  It doesn't matter if you know how to place orders, get email, use Bondnet or the FAST tools IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYONE TO USE THEM ON!!!  Thus all the doorknocking roleplaying.
 
I agree with Ron - your ego got in the way of a succesful career at EDJ.  That's on you.   

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

HAcoreRD wrote:SometimesNowhere wrote:Just what I was thinking. I, from personal experience, can attest to the fact that they couldn't care less how you prospect as long as you are exceeding expectations. I haven't knocked on a door since before Eval/Grad.

So in your calls, are you trying to sell a product or an appointment?I call on product or just to introduce myself. I really just want people to talk, and appointments sort of happen naturally. I think it has been said on here before, it doesn't matter what you say, just as long as you're calling. Just depends on what I feel like doing on a particular day.I am, however, about to make a campaign of calling wealthy people (I traditionally have been focusing on the $200-400k crowd). With that I will probably lead with product.

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

I think from my first post, it was pretty evident that I know it was my fault. I clearly said you have to do it the Jones way, I was not willing to do so.
I was not let go from BAI for Production reasons, my book was over 20mm in a year and a half. It was for something stupid I did. I knew I could guarentee to bring over 5mm and would work to bring over the rest, that was going to be my prospecting. My ATL said these people had to be NEW contacts, and would check my prospecting for notes. When I entered notes, he would say it was not enough.
 
You guys really need to chill out, and stop being so defensive. I am a strong believer in standing up for your company, but recognize that I was not on a bashing spree. In my short peroid there, I could do plenty of bashing but there is no need to. I am happy with the way things turned out, and EDJ was around before I was born, and will probably be here when I die. So they will not miss me one bit.

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

SMUSMU wrote:
I think from my first post, it was pretty evident that I know it was my fault. I clearly said you have to do it the Jones way, I was not willing to do so.
I was not let go from BAI for Production reasons, my book was over 20mm in a year and a half. It was for something stupid I did. I knew I could guarentee to bring over 5mm and would work to bring over the rest, that was going to be my prospecting. My ATL said these people had to be NEW contacts, and would check my prospecting for notes. When I entered notes, he would say it was not enough.
 
You guys really need to chill out, and stop being so defensive. I am a strong believer in standing up for your company, but recognize that I was not on a bashing spree. In my short peroid there, I could do plenty of bashing but there is no need to. I am happy with the way things turned out, and EDJ was around before I was born, and will probably be here when I die. So they will not miss me one bit.
 
How many names would have been in that 20MM? Should have just included Santa Claus as a prospect. I wouldn't be a member of RR unless I asked what you did?

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

SMUSMU wrote:I think from my first post, it was pretty evident that I know it was my fault. I clearly said you have to do it the Jones way, I was not willing to do so.
I was not let go from BAI for Production reasons, my book was over 20mm in a year and a half. It was for something stupid I did. I knew I could guarentee to bring over 5mm and would work to bring over the rest, that was going to be my prospecting. My ATL said these people had to be NEW contacts, and would check my prospecting for notes. When I entered notes, he would say it was not enough.
 
You guys really need to chill out, and stop being so defensive. I am a strong believer in standing up for your company, but recognize that I was not on a bashing spree. In my short peroid there, I could do plenty of bashing but there is no need to. I am happy with the way things turned out, and EDJ was around before I was born, and will probably be here when I die. So they will not miss me one bit.What the hell?  I never had that sort of problem with my ATL.  Half the time I didn't have notes. 

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

If that is your experience with Eval/Grad SMUSMU, then you have issues.

Here's Eval/Grad in a nutshell:

Bring a bunch of made up numbers....
Fake half your calls...
Fake half your money dues...
Try to leave as early as possible...

They don't check anything, atleast in Tempe. Your ATL and your Vet don't wanna be there anymore than you do. The ATL's are all 20 something year olds living in Tempe, wanting to leave for the lake or to party ASAP and your Vets are ready to get to happy hour at the hotel. It's all a corporate game, to see who can play it and get by. The whole door-knocking thing is dumb, but i understand it. In fact i think it's pretty genius on Jones part. Not because it gets them ton's of business, but because most of the money made is actually AFTER the whole door-knocking phase and when an Advisor does things his own way. It's genius because door-knocking is about the hardest type of prospecting there is. Not physically, but it kills you mentally, unless you laugh at angry people like i do. If an FA can door-knock and be alright, he/she can do any kind of prospecting. It's more of a weed out program than a "formula".

Once you get to PDP, do what you want. Screw STL, they don't give a crap what you do as-long as you are throwing up numbers and your operating in an ethical manner. For instance, I moved to Seg 3 pretty fast, and the Development Leader called me and said "Why don't you just skip BDW and we'll focus on Visions". Sure, you might learn a little here or there from these classes, but they are just a weed out program. I'd encourage anyone who starts at Jones, to do what they tell you and fake it until you make it. Get to PDP, then throw everything you learned away and develop your own strategy that works.

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

I actually did what the last FA I interviewed with during the hiring process. I plugged in my former clients, and I just went to my county tax roll and got everybodies name and address. Then I went to Whitepages and got the phone numbers and cold called them. The ones I spoke with, I sent out the postcards to them. Prospects was not a problem.

My ATL used to go through my prospects while I was on the phone with him, asking me question about them.

Someone mentioned earlier that most don't make it to their can-sell date, I would not say most but it is more than I would have imagined. My roomate from training did not make it to his can-sell date, and he had prior experience also.

Quick question, why does EDJ make you have a roomate anyways? I was very surprised by that. Been on business trips/training before and never had a roomate.

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

Ronnie Dobbs wrote: If that is your experience with Eval/Grad SMUSMU, then you have issues.

Here's Eval/Grad in a nutshell:

Bring a bunch of made up numbers....
Fake half your calls...
Fake half your money dues...
Try to leave as early as possible...

They don't check anything, atleast in Tempe. Your ATL and your Vet don't wanna be there anymore than you do. The ATL's are all 20 something year olds living in Tempe, wanting to leave for the lake or to party ASAP and your Vets are ready to get to happy hour at the hotel. It's all a corporate game, to see who can play it and get by. Once you get to PDP, do what you want.

Once again, someone is being defensive. If I never made it to my can-sell date, then obviously I did not attend Eval/Grad. I have never even mentioned Eval/Grad. I don't even know what goes on during that time.

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

SMUSMU wrote:

Once again, someone is being defensive. If I never made it to my can-sell date, then obviously I did not attend Eval/Grad. I have never even mentioned Eval/Grad. I don't even know what goes on during that time.

I wasn't being defensive at all. I was giving you facts.

Example: "I never made it to my can-sell date" - You got weeded out. Pulled out the John Deere and WHIIIIIZZZED on you.

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

Weeded Out, really? The not sitting at the big boy table was a good joke, the John Deere was lame.

I have nothing to prove by getting into a pissing match with you. I wish you much success in your professional career.
I'm very comfortable with my business, and obviously you are with yours.

BTW, My kids are enjoying the tablet PC...I guess it will get some use after all.

The Duke's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-30

 
You guys really need to chill out, and stop being so defensive. I am a strong believer in standing up for your company, but recognize that I was not on a bashing spree. In my short peroid there, I could do plenty of bashing but there is no need to. I am happy with the way things turned out, and EDJ was around before I was born, and will probably be here when I die. So they will not miss me one bit.
 
 
    Most of your respondents don't even work at EDJ.  I'm an Independent and couldn't care less about EDJ's success or reputation.  We're just tired of listening to bitter people come on the forum and knock a company's business structure because THEY couldn't cut it in the industry.  I guess we just get a little edgy.  You've gotta tread lightly when you come on here and point fingers.
 
So by the way, where are you now?  Not trying to be rude, but I'm just curious as to what firms take a guy who's been fired twice already.

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

Nobody in there right minds would hire me. With BAI I was fired because of something really stupid on my part. I appealed the decision so it never showed up on my U4 but I was still fired. I was told that "we are not going to move forward" from my ATL with EDJ. I just wanted to make it clear that I did not quit. When I moved my book over to BAI from Smith Barney I got the infamous letter saying I owed $$$ for leaving.

I am no longer in the business. I own a kids gym now.

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

SMUSMU wrote:Nobody in there right minds would hire me. With BAI I was fired because of something really stupid on my part. I appealed the decision so it never showed up on my U4 but I was still fired. I was told that "we are not going to move forward" from my ATL with EDJ. I just wanted to make it clear that I did not quit. When I moved my book over to BAI from Smith Barney I got the infamous letter saying I owed $$$ for leaving. I am no longer in the business. I own a kids gym now.

What did you get fired for at BAI?

The Duke's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-30

Thanks for your honesty.  Whats a "kids gym"?

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

Mr.Blonde wrote: SMUSMU wrote:Nobody in there right minds would hire me. With BAI I was fired because of something really stupid on my part. I appealed the decision so it never showed up on my U4 but I was still fired. I was told that "we are not going to move forward" from my ATL with EDJ. I just wanted to make it clear that I did not quit. When I moved my book over to BAI from Smith Barney I got the infamous letter saying I owed $$$ for leaving. I am no longer in the business. I own a kids gym now.

What did you get fired for at BAI?
I am too ashamed to say why
Could it have been swept under the rug, Yes. Did my boss have the right to fire me, Obviously Yes.
I will say I did not steal, I did nothing inapropriate, and no one was harmed in the incident. Just end of the day boredom, got me in trouble.

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

The Duke wrote: Thanks for your honesty.  Whats a "kids gym"?
It is an interactive gym where all of the "games"require movement. There are no actual weights, just kids being active and having fun. We also host birthday parties, and have camps & after-school programs.

Wet_Blanket's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

SMUSMU wrote: Mr.Blonde wrote: SMUSMU wrote:Nobody in there right minds would hire me. With BAI I was fired because of something really stupid on my part. I appealed the decision so it never showed up on my U4 but I was still fired. I was told that "we are not going to move forward" from my ATL with EDJ. I just wanted to make it clear that I did not quit. When I moved my book over to BAI from Smith Barney I got the infamous letter saying I owed $$$ for leaving. I am no longer in the business. I own a kids gym now.

What did you get fired for at BAI? I am too ashamed to say why Could it have been swept under the rug, Yes. Did my boss have the right to fire me, Obviously Yes. I will say I did not steal, I did nothing inapropriate, and no one was harmed in the incident. Just end of the day boredom, got me in trouble.
 
Were you looking up porn at the office?  *serious question, I can't think of what else it would be.*

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

SMUSMU wrote: Mr.Blonde wrote: SMUSMU wrote:Nobody in there right minds would hire me. With BAI I was fired because of something really stupid on my part. I appealed the decision so it never showed up on my U4 but I was still fired. I was told that "we are not going to move forward" from my ATL with EDJ. I just wanted to make it clear that I did not quit. When I moved my book over to BAI from Smith Barney I got the infamous letter saying I owed $$$ for leaving. I am no longer in the business. I own a kids gym now.

What did you get fired for at BAI? I am too ashamed to say why Could it have been swept under the rug, Yes. Did my boss have the right to fire me, Obviously Yes. I will say I did not steal, I did nothing inapropriate, and no one was harmed in the incident. Just end of the day boredom, got me in trouble.

YOu had to have slept with said boss's wife on his desk......congratulations!

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

You guys are funny, it was nothing sexually inappropriate.
It had to do with documents.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

Wet_Blanket wrote: SMUSMU wrote: Mr.Blonde wrote: SMUSMU wrote:Nobody in there right minds would hire me. With BAI I was fired because of something really stupid on my part. I appealed the decision so it never showed up on my U4 but I was still fired. I was told that "we are not going to move forward" from my ATL with EDJ. I just wanted to make it clear that I did not quit. When I moved my book over to BAI from Smith Barney I got the infamous letter saying I owed $$$ for leaving. I am no longer in the business. I own a kids gym now.

What did you get fired for at BAI? I am too ashamed to say why Could it have been swept under the rug, Yes. Did my boss have the right to fire me, Obviously Yes. I will say I did not steal, I did nothing inapropriate, and no one was harmed in the incident. Just end of the day boredom, got me in trouble.
 
Were you looking up porn at the office?  *serious question, I can't think of what else it would be.*

You scare me........and now you run a kids gym??? and still post here?????? Liar

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

SMUSMU wrote: You guys are funny, it was nothing sexually inappropriate.
It had to do with documents.

The infamous old trick........sign for the client......damn........I have seen too many fired for this......can't do it.

Wet_Blanket's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

I would have guessed signing a client's name, but he claimed "boredom," so that doesn't make sense.  Also, the well of good GIFs has run dry for me....temporarily.

SMUSMU's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-26

You were close, I will tell...I had to wait after-work for someone one day. As I was waiting I took an extra signed form(I don't remember which one) and made a copy of it. I cut off the signature and pasted it on a blank document and made a copy of that one. I wanted to see how real it would look. It was an extra form that I had a client sign, but was not needed. So I threw away the forged copy, but left the form with the client signature cutoff on my desk. Just so happen the next day my compliance officer came by my office while I was on an appointment and saw it. The next day I was fired.

Just plain stupidity on my part. I would have rather been fired for not meeting expectations, But oh well.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

told ya
 
I've heard that story about 5 times in 7 years.  I had a client date a distribution form 2009 this month and it got kicked back.  When I told the client to resubmit he said, "sign it for me".  I said NO WAY

Wet_Blanket's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

While on this subject, once (at a previous employer) we received an Advisory contract from a FA that was fully completed (client signature and everything).  Unfortunately, the FA practiced the client's signature on the back of the contract!
 
Doh!
 
Client forgery is surprisingly common - and most of the time it is because the client wants the FA to sign for them.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

SMUSMU wrote:Quick question, why does EDJ make you have a roomate anyways? I was very surprised by that. Been on business trips/training before and never had a roomate.
 
Cost.  Roommates cut the cost of the hotel bill in half. 
 
It suprises me that they still have roommates these days.  Here's why:
 
Many years ago I was observing a KYC class.  There was this one really strange dude that just got stranger all week long.  Wore the same clothes, hair was a mess, didn't shave, acted nervous all the time.  His roommate was another guy in the same classroom.   On Thursday the weird guy was gone.   Never showed up in class and his roommate spent hours talking with the team leader and the HR lady who gets involved with really ugly situations.  Judy something if I remember correctly.  Come to find out the weird dude jumped into the bed with his roommate in the middle of the night and propositioned him. 
 
Like I said, I'm suprised that they still have roommates at all.  I would think there would be a ton of liability. 

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×