Doorknocking Advice

64 replies [Last post]
YumKoolAid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-29

Hello, I am a brand new member looking for some solid pointers to get my business off on the right note.  It seems timing is everything, especially when you start and end your day and what times you doorknock.  What is a good schedule?I need advice on how to make doorknocking effective where I can get 25 contacts a day.  I feel like the people I do talk to are mostly are not interested.  What is the best way to introduce yourself when someone answersIs it bad to let someone know you are doing a survey if you are getting info doing it?Thanks, struggling to find my rhythm.

mrjones99999's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-03

ForbiddenYou don't have permission to access /misc.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
 
http://www.******.com - Why doesn't your website work?
 
 
Call it BS, but you need to treat your "door knocking" as F2F contacts. Its not just another door, its possibly a few k in the bank. This is hard sales, you're not a bank teller. Quality and Quantity, one without the other is a waste of time

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Ferris Bueller wrote:Step up to the door, make a fist, and tap your knuckles on the door. Do it a lot and do it often.That's pretty good advice.  It would be helpful to know what point you are in your Jones career.  Have you just finished KYC?Hell, I'm going to start a door knocking 101 thread because I can't sleep.  Go there.

YumKoolAid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-29

I am working my way towards eval/grad

MrJonesAndMe's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-23

did any of you Jones guys start out young? (I'm mid 20's). How did you overcome the lack of trust?

UNDERMINDED's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-14

I was 20.  Don't let it matter.

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

The point I think is that 90% of prospecting is between your ears. I remember struggling with exactly what I was going to say when someone opened the door, if I should say "a" instead of "the" in a certain circumstance or whatever. It doesn't matter. Just talk to people. About anything. When you build some rapport, then you can tell them what you are doing.
Voltmoie started a great post with some good advice and a good script, but say whatever makes you the most comfortable. People don't generally care how old you are or whether you are a man or woman or if you where a Izod or a Polo shirt or what color your tie or blouse is or whatever. The ones that will do business with you will do business with you because you introduced yourself to them and built some trust. Those that don't won't no matter what you say to them.
Those going through the early Jones training will have to endure some "trainer" telling you exactly what to say and how to say it. Just get through the training and develop your own thing. Some of their ideas will work well for you, some won't. The bottom line is if you meet people and win business in a legal and ethical way, nobody cares how you did it. Just relax and enjoy.

RealWorld's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

SometimesNowhere wrote:
The point I think is that 90% of prospecting is between your ears. I remember struggling with exactly what I was going to say when someone opened the door, if I should say "a" instead of "the" in a certain circumstance or whatever. It doesn't matter. Just talk to people. About anything. When you build some rapport, then you can tell them what you are doing.
Voltmoie started a great post with some good advice and a good script, but say whatever makes you the most comfortable. People don't generally care how old you are or whether you are a man or woman or if you where a Izod or a Polo shirt or what color your tie or blouse is or whatever. The ones that will do business with you will do business with you because you introduced yourself to them and built some trust. Those that don't won't no matter what you say to them.
Those going through the early Jones training will have to endure some "trainer" telling you exactly what to say and how to say it. Just get through the training and develop your own thing. Some of their ideas will work well for you, some won't. The bottom line is if you meet people and win business in a legal and ethical way, nobody cares how you did it. Just relax and enjoy.
 
Relax and enjoy. hmmm. I bet you took over assets. How much?

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

RealWorld wrote:SometimesNowhere wrote:
The point I think is that 90% of prospecting is between your ears. I remember struggling with exactly what I was going to say when someone opened the door, if I should say "a" instead of "the" in a certain circumstance or whatever. It doesn't matter. Just talk to people. About anything. When you build some rapport, then you can tell them what you are doing.
Voltmoie started a great post with some good advice and a good script, but say whatever makes you the most comfortable. People don't generally care how old you are or whether you are a man or woman or if you where a Izod or a Polo shirt or what color your tie or blouse is or whatever. The ones that will do business with you will do business with you because you introduced yourself to them and built some trust. Those that don't won't no matter what you say to them.
Those going through the early Jones training will have to endure some "trainer" telling you exactly what to say and how to say it. Just get through the training and develop your own thing. Some of their ideas will work well for you, some won't. The bottom line is if you meet people and win business in a legal and ethical way, nobody cares how you did it. Just relax and enjoy.
 
Relax and enjoy. hmmm. I bet you took over assets. How much?
 
Hmmm...I'll bet you're a moron.
 

RealWorld's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

Why because you are acting so cavaliar like doorknocking is easy. I doorknocked for 2.5 yrs and built my own business and doorknocking SUCKS. Anyone who did it for a long time knows this.
So how much assets did you take over and don't discount it. Also saying I am a moron is a little childish. So why dont we talk like adults.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

RealWorld wrote:Why because you are acting so cavaliar like doorknocking is easy. I doorknocked for 2.5 yrs and built my own business and doorknocking SUCKS. Anyone who did it for a long time knows this.
So how much assets did you take over and don't discount it. Also saying I am a moron is a little childish. So why dont we talk like adults.
 
That's pretty fun real .. you insult the guy about his business and then get offended when he gives it back to you.
 
Doorknocking does suck but you should make the best of it.  If you go out day after day hating it, there no chance you keep at it.  It's not hard work but it's hard to do. So, relax and have some fun doing it.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

RealWorld wrote: Why because you are acting so cavaliar like doorknocking is easy. I doorknocked for 2.5 yrs and built my own business and doorknocking SUCKS. Anyone who did it for a long time knows this.
So how much assets did you take over and don't discount it. Also saying I am a moron is a little childish. So why dont we talk like adults.

Doorknocking sucks whether you do it for a short time or a long time.

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

RealWorld wrote:Why because you are acting so cavaliar like doorknocking is easy. I doorknocked for 2.5 yrs and built my own business and doorknocking SUCKS. Anyone who did it for a long time knows this.
So how much assets did you take over and don't discount it. Also saying I am a moron is a little childish. So why dont we talk like adults.
 
Because doorknocking is not working at a coal mine or getting shot at in some desert somewhere. If the worst you had to endure in your professional life was having to walk around in a neighborhood in a suit and introduce yourself to people then I would say that you have it pretty good.
 
So, would I rather doorknock than pound some beers with my buddies? No. Would I rather doorknock than go mix concrete or shingle a roof? You'd better believe it. So, I don't know what kind of job you had before this one, but the ones I had were a lot harder and I got paid a lot less for. I am "cavaliar" about doorknocking because I don't think it's hard work.
 
And how much did I take over? None of your business...I got any assets beyond what I built because pikers like you couldn't cut it, so after unf***ing the 100% American fund portfolios you crammed people into without discretion, I went about the business of building my practice the way that most brokers do. Cold call, seminars, referrals. A vast majority of my commissions come from business I generate.
 
In closing, I am "cavaliar" basically because I am an egomaniac that thinks that someone would be crazy not to do business with me, and that makes me feel very comfortable when I prospect. The fact that you don't is not my problem.

MsBroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-02

voltmoie wrote:RealWorld wrote:Why because you are acting so cavaliar like doorknocking is easy. I doorknocked for 2.5 yrs and built my own business and doorknocking SUCKS. Anyone who did it for a long time knows this.
So how much assets did you take over and don't discount it. Also saying I am a moron is a little childish. So why dont we talk like adults.
 
That's pretty fun real .. you insult the guy about his business and then get offended when he gives it back to you.
 
Doorknocking does suck but you should make the best of it.  If you go out day after day hating it, there no chance you keep at it.  It's not hard work but it's hard to do. So, relax and have some fun doing it.
 
I second that. It's all mental. When it was 90-95 degrees during field foundations, I was miserable. Until I decided not to be. I started silently humming "I can see clearly now" the whole time I was out, and it is amazing how much better I felt, and how much better I did out there. It was amazing how much better contacts went when I had a nice happy smile on my face. Speaking of, it is a bright bright sunshiney day, so I am going to head out before my 3 o'clock appointment.
 
Happy doorknocking!! :)

RealWorld's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

Sometimes Nowhere-  You are a baby. I mean that 100%. Talk about being defensive.
 
A. Doorknocking isn't hard work if you are only out there saying hi but if you have to put the numbers up every month without the benefit of an excisting book it is a hard way to start. And what is this 'coal mining" talk? We aren't talking about any other occupation other than building a book so how is your arguement even relavent?
 
B. You didn't take over my office. So why would you assume I sell any American funds? Your rush to cut me down without knowing 1 thing that I do besides doorknock is remarkebly ignorant and immature. And you manage money for the same firm? My God you are lucky to be here.
 
C. ha ha ha ha ha . ... how funny you did take over assets and now you are telling new people how easy it is to build a book. My God that is hilarious.
 
D. There is nothing wrong with taking over assets, if someone would offer me some I would take them now. But there is something wrong with you taking over a book and then telling new people how to prospect.
 
E. If you are not ashamed of what I have just pointed out why are you so hostile towards me asking about how you started in this business? I mean your post screams "LOSER" just by the way you try to defend yourself by attacking me. People get on this site all the time and say how much they hate Edward Jones. Well they hate our firm because of people like you  and LOCKEDJ. People who are obvioulsy not intelligent or at least capable of having an intelligent debate without calling the disagreeing party "pikers".
 
 
 

RealWorld's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

voltmoie wrote:RealWorld wrote:Why because you are acting so cavaliar like doorknocking is easy. I doorknocked for 2.5 yrs and built my own business and doorknocking SUCKS. Anyone who did it for a long time knows this.
So how much assets did you take over and don't discount it. Also saying I am a moron is a little childish. So why dont we talk like adults.
 
That's pretty fun real .. you insult the guy about his business and then get offended when he gives it back to you.
 
Doorknocking does suck but you should make the best of it.  If you go out day after day hating it, there no chance you keep at it.  It's not hard work but it's hard to do. So, relax and have some fun doing it.
 
Are you serious Volt. I said that based upon what he wrote it sounded like he wasnt a new/new and someone who took over a book.
 
He calls me a moron.
 
But I was right wasn't I?
 
BTW- How is it insulting to admit how you started in the business? Someone who starts with 0 assets is different than someone who starts with 20 million. PERIOD!

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

RealWorld wrote:Sometimes Nowhere-  You are a baby. I mean that 100%. Talk about being defensive.
 
A. Doorknocking isn't hard work if you are only out there saying hi but if you have to put the numbers up every month without the benefit of an excisting book it is a hard way to start. And what is this 'coal mining" talk? We aren't talking about any other occupation other than building a book so how is your arguement even relavent?
 
B. You didn't take over my office. So why would you assume I sell any American funds? Your rush to cut me down without knowing 1 thing that I do besides doorknock is remarkebly ignorant and immature. And you manage money for the same firm? My God you are lucky to be here.
 
C. ha ha ha ha ha . ... how funny you did take over assets and now you are telling new people how easy it is to build a book. My God that is hilarious.
 
D. There is nothing wrong with taking over assets, if someone would offer me some I would take them now. But there is something wrong with you taking over a book and then telling new people how to prospect.
 
E. If you are not ashamed of what I have just pointed out why are you so hostile towards me asking about how you started in this business? I mean your post screams "LOSER" just by the way you try to defend yourself by attacking me. People get on this site all the time and say how much they hate Edward Jones. Well they hate our firm because of people like you  and LOCKEDJ. People who are obvioulsy not intelligent or at least capable of having an intelligent debate without calling the disagreeing party "pikers".  
 
Ok, I'll bite...
 
A. I don't know about you, but I never prospect with the intent of "saying hi". My prospecting is a focused effort to generate new business. That is what you would consider "putting up numbers". Whether you get a book or not, any clown knows that at EDJ our books trail very little, so if I had to rely on the assets that I did take to pay my mortgage I would be foreclosed on. The fact that you allude to two types of prospecting demonstrates why you were doorknocking for 2.5 years. I talk about coal mining because my worst day is better than most people's good days. I am lucky to do what I do.
 
B. I assume you sell American Funds because most people at EDJ do. If you don't, you are in the minority. I was making a statistical observation, and since we are challenging people, why don't you post your RANKFUNDS and prove that you don't?
 
I answer the way I do because I was posting an answer to a question, and you decided that you would read into my business based on what I said. Yes, I actually manage money. That means thinking critically about what my clients own.
 
C&D. You don't stop prospecting just because you get some assets, at least you don't unless you are content making $30k a year. The fact that you can't get that through your thick skull says a lot.
 
E. You can ask how I started in the business all you want. It's none of your business, and irrelevant. You can sit behind your desk and cry while the profits I make help pay for your BOA to do her nails at her desk.
 
People make fun of our firm because they think we are a bunch of third rate brokers that carry American Fund's nuts around for them. They make fun of us because we go to our regional meetings and high-five each other for coasting on a $30mm book. They make fun of us because most of the time we don't know the difference between an A and C share if it were written in crayon on construction paper.
 
Finally, they make fun of us because people like you come on message boards and are critical of what most people would believe is pretty fair advice, and then get hurt when someone calls you on the carpet for it.
 
Oh, and spell check your posts before you post them. Talk about having an intelligent debate...piker.

The Duke's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-30

I love it!  Well done, SometimesNowhere.

MrJonesAndMe's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-23

UNDERMINDED wrote:I was 20.  Don't let it matter.BioFreeze wrote:
MrJonesAndMe wrote:did any of you Jones guys start out young? (I'm mid 20's). How did you overcome the lack of trust?
What lack of trust? The one you made up?Point taken. And thanks to the guys actually giving advice and guidance. SometimesNowhere especially.

RealWorld's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

 
E. You can ask how I started in the business all you want. It's none of your business, and irrelevant. You can sit behind your desk and cry while the profits I make help pay for your BOA to do her nails at her desk.
 
People make fun of our firm because they think we are a bunch of third rate brokers that carry American Fund's nuts around for them. They make fun of us because we go to our regional meetings and high-five each other for coasting on a $30mm book. They make fun of us because most of the time we don't know the difference between an A and C share if it were written in crayon on construction paper.
 
Finally, they make fun of us because people like you come on message boards and are critical of what most people would believe is pretty fair advice, and then get hurt when someone calls you on the carpet for it.
 
Oh, and spell check your posts before you post them. Talk about having an intelligent debate...piker.
******************************************************************** 
Spell Check my posts. Grow up son. Isn't that a little bit sorry.
Here is the part I love in bold.
 
You think it is irrelevant how much assets you started with. Really?
 
This is for you and the little cronies who back you up.
 
Lets debate it. It is irrelevant how much assets you start with.... We were talking about doorknocking.
 
So you are really really trying to say that it does not matter how many assets you start with that does not affect your  knowledge/skill/need of doorknocking? \
 
Lastly, what I meant by an intelligent conversation is when I question your post - you right back MORON....
Why do you think I am a moron? Please elaborate.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Lets debate this.... Which statement includes proper english...
 
A. How much assets
B. How many assets
 
Real World you are a Jones guy and you are ripping equities and asset allocation?What the hell are you doing then ? Trading stocks in and out for a 2% rip on each side ?

taxfree's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-01

First time poster here.
 
First off I agree that doorknocking is hard. But very doable. No one loves to doorknock if they say they do that would be some brown noser to the RL.
 
Gest is I had to chime in with the convo on assets. This is truly the mentality of the firm that taking over assets does not matter. Of course it matters.
 
It is 100% ridiculous to assume it makes no difference. But also don't be ashamed of it. If you got 50 million that GOOD for you.
 
But when people take over huge offices and act like they know how to be successful at doorknocking it drives me crazy too. In my region we have a ton of people in the last year who have left the firm, so someone has to take over the office. Yet at the regional those same people will be talking about how to grow your business.
If it was as easy as taking over 20 million we would all do it.
 

Jud Crandall's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-01

RealWorld wrote:
 
E. You can ask how I started in the business all you want. It's none of your business, and irrelevant.
 
Not for nothing but, this is greenspeak for "$12 million - minimum".  I have no problem with that because there's not a poster here that would turn down 12 mil in assets of any type.  Don't jerk us off by insinuating you bloodied your knuckles like the rest of 'em (us), though.
 
 
 
 
 
 

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

With respect to how to door knock and your success in doing it the amount of assets given to you in irrelevant.

In a larger context it of course is a major factor to your overall success rate and the amount of door knocking one has to do to make it in this business.

The king has spoken.

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

RealWorld wrote: 
E. You can ask how I started in the business all you want. It's none of your business, and irrelevant. You can sit behind your desk and cry while the profits I make help pay for your BOA to do her nails at her desk.
 
People make fun of our firm because they think we are a bunch of third rate brokers that carry American Fund's nuts around for them. They make fun of us because we go to our regional meetings and high-five each other for coasting on a $30mm book. They make fun of us because most of the time we don't know the difference between an A and C share if it were written in crayon on construction paper.
 
Finally, they make fun of us because people like you come on message boards and are critical of what most people would believe is pretty fair advice, and then get hurt when someone calls you on the carpet for it.
 
Oh, and spell check your posts before you post them. Talk about having an intelligent debate...piker.******************************************************************** 
Spell Check my posts. Grow up son. Isn't that a little bit sorry.
Here is the part I love in bold.
 
You think it is irrelevant how much assets you started with. Really?
 
This is for you and the little cronies who back you up.
 
Lets debate it. It is irrelevant how much assets you start with.... We were talking about doorknocking.
 
So you are really really trying to say that it does not matter how many assets you start with that does not affect your  knowledge/skill/need of doorknocking? \
 
Lastly, what I meant by an intelligent conversation is when I question your post - you right back MORON....
Why do you think I am a moron? Please elaborate.For a guy/gal that is pretty sensitive about someone else "reading into his business", you sure take a lot of liberties with your perception of mine. Let's recap how this discussion started. -I answered a post in a rookie board asking for doorknocking advice. My advice, in short, was that a majority of prospecting was between a brokers ears, and that you should relax when you prospect and enjoy it. -You said that because I said that I must have inherited assets.-I, in a brilliant bit of foresight, called you a moron.-You began to talk about how because you doorknocked for two years, then that makes you an expert. You then called me out for a second time asking me to tell you personal details about my business. -I pointed out that in the grand scheme of things doorknocking isn't so bad. I also told you the reason that I feel I am qualified to answer such a question on a rookie board. Because I still prospect. So clearly the amount of assets I took over is irrelevant, because I still have to go out every day and kill something to eat. -You laid out 5 ridiculous points that didn't really address the answers I gave you in the previous post, butchering what I assume is your native language in the process. -Despite my better judgment, I went point by point and answered. For the second time in this thread I stated that I still have to go out and continue to prospect to build my business.-You answered again by sh*tting out another post, in the process telling me to "grow up son", and then asking me to go back to talking about doorknocking (which, incidentally, was what I was talking about before you decided to run your piker mouth about me). So here is the answer to your final question. I think you are a moron because you lack reading comprehension. Since you are posting syllogisms on another forum, I will break it down for you:Receiving assets does not equal quitting prospecting. However, you are just the kind of piker that would take assets and put his feet up on a desk and quit prospecting. That makes you a moron. You don't get it, and I have posted it twice to explain it to you. That makes you a moron. I have answered your questions, and you keep asking the questions over and over again. That makes you a moron. In summary I have established:Receiving assets does not mean you don't prospectYou can't readYou are a piker and a moronI am not going to enter a pissing contest with you. You aren't my RL, I don't need to prove what my prospecting record is to you. I will, however, continue to hand you your ass on this message board.

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

Oh, and it's cute how two "new" people came out of the woodwork to post on this board supporting you. Piker...

Train's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-01

This is how it works in my Region:
 
1. New guy gets a sell date and sells enough CAIBX to Grandma to get his numbers above standard.
2. Takes over a non-competitive $15-20MM office, churns the assets at the speed of light, and reaches segment 4 in a year.
3. Field Supervision has no problem with this practice since the clients signed a switch letter.
4. The RL gets a crush on the newb and puts him on the leadership team in charge of training newnews and seg 1's in the region.
5. After 3 years he leaves because he has less assets than what he inherited and has run out of paper for switch letters.
6. At the next Regional Meeting, the RL declares the departed FA to be a criminal and is currently being investigated  by the FBI
7. Repeat 1-6

utcheachea's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-08-13

SometimesNowhere wrote:RealWorld wrote:Sometimes Nowhere-  You are a baby. I mean that 100%. Talk about being defensive.
 
 
People make fun of our firm because they think we are a bunch of third rate brokers that carry American Fund's nuts around for them. They make fun of us because we go to our regional meetings and high-five each other for coasting on a $30mm book. They make fun of us because most of the time we don't know the difference between an A and C share if it were written in crayon on construction paper.
 
 
 
Why do people think people from Jones are 3rd rate brokers?  Is it because of the doorknocking, or is it because ex roof shinglers, concrete mixers, etc make up a large percentage of your firms advisors?

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

MsBroker wrote:I second that. It's all mental. When it was 90-95 degrees during field foundations, I was miserable. Until I decided not to be. I started silently humming "I can see clearly now" the whole time I was out, and it is amazing how much better I felt, and how much better I did out there. It was amazing how much better contacts went when I had a nice happy smile on my face. Speaking of, it is a bright bright sunshiney day, so I am going to head out before my 3 o'clock appointment.
 
Happy doorknocking!! :) That's some serious KoolAid!!!

RealWorld's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-13

Sometimes nowhere if you thought you won some sort of debate you are missing the point.
So lets end our conversation right here. But in future talks I would prefer if you would talk about the matter at hand. I literally found your postings immature and defensive. It actually surprised me that you were so angry to be asked if you took over assets. In the end I was right about that. It is unfortunate people who took over large assets will frankly never understand what I am talking about.
 
For everyone else on the board, is it really that rampant in every region? Train, I laughed forever about your 1-6 but do other regions see this sort of thing on a regular basis.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Train wrote: This is how it works in my Region:
 
1. New guy gets a sell date and sells enough CAIBX to Grandma to get his numbers above standard.
2. Takes over a non-competitive $15-20MM office, churns the assets at the speed of light, and reaches segment 4 in a year.
3. Field Supervision has no problem with this practice since the clients signed a switch letter.
4. The RL gets a crush on the newb and puts him on the leadership team in charge of training newnews and seg 1's in the region.
5. After 3 years he leaves because he has less assets than what he inherited and has run out of paper for switch letters.
6. At the next Regional Meeting, the RL declares the departed FA to be a criminal and is currently being investigated  by the FBI
7. Repeat 1-6

In my old region (FWIW - I realize it's been a while since I have been there - volt ), the process was similar. We had a guy take over $68 million make it to Segment 5 in 3 years. He spent the next 3 going to school, getting his MBA and other credentials and then left to take a corporate job. He was the "man" when he was at Jones, but as soon as he left, the bashing began.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Still@jones wrote:
MsBroker wrote:I second that. It's all mental. When it was 90-95 degrees during field foundations, I was miserable. Until I decided not to be. I started silently humming "I can see clearly now" the whole time I was out, and it is amazing how much better I felt, and how much better I did out there. It was amazing how much better contacts went when I had a nice happy smile on my face. Speaking of, it is a bright bright sunshiney day, so I am going to head out before my 3 o'clock appointment.
 
Happy doorknocking!! :) That's some serious KoolAid!!!

That's not Kool-Aid, that's called crack.

"There's something about me you might not no Joe Rogan.... I smoke ROCK!" Tyrone Biggums.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Trust me, I'd like to take over an office.  I'd not churn and burn it but would love the security of some trails hitting the books. Instead I'm tripping on hot wheels in my underwear as I make my way across the hallway to my desk while guys that were about to fail got handed 20mm offices.  It sucks but fare is what you pay to ride a bus, not what you get at work.
 
MsBroker .. I don't think humming a song would work for any guy I know because hooters dosn't have a jingle.

fa09's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-03

Volt how long have you been out exactly? Seems to me like they should have offered you a location or 2 by now to choose from for an office. Is that the case and you are just waiting for something better or would you take the first reasonable place that they offer?

MsBroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-02

You should be very choosy when being offered an existing office. The BOA will be a huge part of this. You are stuck with them.
 
I would definitely prefer to open my own office. Obviously, I wouldn't mind getting some assets, though. Like Volt, I wouldn't churn, but the trails would be nice.
 
 
As far as my Kool-aid guzzling goes, I have always been an incredibly optimistic happy person, and I am very loyal. Attitude dictates so much in our lives, especially in a career like this one. I've been through some incredibly terrible things in my life, and I would have lost my sanity a long time ago had I not developed this type of mentality. I weed out the negative and focus on the positive.
 
Alright, I'm getting back to work.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

fa09 wrote:Volt how long have you been out exactly? Seems to me like they should have offered you a location or 2 by now to choose from for an office. Is that the case and you are just waiting for something better or would you take the first reasonable place that they offer?
 
Heading to PDP in a few weeks.
 
I'm not in a metro area and my region is VERY spread out.  Established brokers have just not left in my area.  I'm also a bit locked down as far as location ... personal issues but they limit my ability to move.  I'd personally not be worried about a bad BOA, just manage her out.  Done it a thousand times in very strict corporate settings , it's Volts way or the highway.
 

fa09's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-03

Gotcha. I didn't realize that I thought u were out longer. From what I gather they will start giving you location picks soon after PDP but you can hunt out leases on your own and be ready for them with your own preferred location. I'm curious though, how in the heck did you qualify for a div trip already? Or were u just busting winds balls?

gb0413's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-21

i agree with sometimesNowhere....thank you for giving legitimate advice on these threads and helping rookies and trainee's.  being a rookie i am extremely appreciative that people such as yourselves and other members of this forum offer such willing, helpful advice.  Granted, i usually take other comments people post on here with a grain of salt, because some people see this site as a tank full of helium than a place for discussion.
 
 
Purely out of curiousity, has anyone from another firm OTHER than edward jones ever tried door knocking?  I'm a cold-calling kind of prospector, but sometimes on bad days, i don't think it'd hurt if i spent an hour or two after work walking through a neighborhood looking for leads.  I don't mind knocking on doors and talking with people, i'm a veteran of the Restaurant industry so it comes naturally.  and hey, if i can bring in a couple leads a week that are more serious than the dumbasses i talk to on the phone, in my prospecting manual i've already won!

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

fa09 wrote:Gotcha. I didn't realize that I thought u were out longer. From what I gather they will start giving you location picks soon after PDP but you can hunt out leases on your own and be ready for them with your own preferred location. I'm curious though, how in the heck did you qualify for a div trip already? Or were u just busting winds balls?
 
I've began my branch search and have a signed LOI on the location I wanted.  My leasing coordinator blows but I keep on her like a broken dog.
 
Didn't qualify for a div trip, only had a short time to get there.  Plus I put 30-35% of my assets into C shares and advisory solutions.  I'll qualify for this next one.  Already have one bucket filled and should fill the next one by months end.   
 
Love to travel and all but I'd rather build a business first, ya know?

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

voltmoie wrote:
Love to travel and all but I'd rather build a business first, ya know?

Or you could do both, like me! lol

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Ronnie Dobbs wrote: voltmoie wrote: Love to travel and all but I'd rather build a business first, ya know?
Or you could do both, like me! lol
 
Motel 8 in Stillwater with your RL isn't traveling.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Ronnie Dobbs wrote: voltmoie wrote:
Love to travel and all but I'd rather build a business first, ya know?

Or you could do both, like me! lol

I'll hit it on my first full cycle - just like you. Miss it on my 2 month cycle like you. Only difference is I missed it by design. You missed it because your numbers sucked.

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

Volt - Wrong ass. I missed it because my can sell date fell on the 4th month of the 1st program. Even so, I only missed it by $20,000.

Ron - Hawaii, Vermont, Branson,Vegas, and a Div trip to me would be considered as traveling. I guess I should be sympathetic though since the farthest you have ever traveled was out the side door from your microphone and glass window, to un-stick the little capsule in the drive-through machine.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Ron 14 wrote: Ronnie Dobbs wrote: voltmoie wrote: Love to travel and all but I'd rather build a business first, ya know?
Or you could do both, like me! lol
 
Motel 8 in Stillwater with your RL isn't traveling.

What's wrong with Stillwater? They have Eskimo Joe's!

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Ron 14 wrote:Ronnie Dobbs wrote: voltmoie wrote: Love to travel and all but I'd rather build a business first, ya know?
Or you could do both, like me! lol
 
Motel 8 in Stillwater with your RL isn't traveling. 

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

We saw your numbers Windy not sure why you insist on lying about them? You run onto this site and brag about business that's never booked. If the rest of us did that we'd have 50k months just like you.....

Good 'ol Joes! lol

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

voltmoie wrote: We saw your numbers Windy not sure why you insist on lying about them? You run onto this site and brag about business that's never booked. If the rest of us did that we'd have 50k months just like you.....

Good 'ol Joes! lol

Yeah yeah yeah. If calling me a liar makes you feel better about your numbers go right ahead. But you know you're wrong.

YumKoolAid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-29

Okay does everyone here knock on saturday or occasionally take the day off?  Do they think you are lazy and quickly throw you on the chopping block if you aren't working saturday?

MsBroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-02

YumKoolAid wrote:Okay does everyone here knock on saturday or occasionally take the day off?  Do they think you are lazy and quickly throw you on the chopping block if you aren't working saturday?
 
I work every Saturday. Some don't. I do take it a lot easier on Saturday, though. If you can kill it during the week and be comfortable with your numbers, then do whatever you want. Personally, I know the harder I work now, the quicker i get to the point that I don't have to work as hard.
 
Plus, I really have my eye on that St. Louis Div Trip.

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

RealWorld wrote:Sometimes nowhere if you thought you won some sort of debate you are missing the point.
So lets end our conversation right here. But in future talks I would prefer if you would talk about the matter at hand. I literally found your postings immature and defensive. It actually surprised me that you were so angry to be asked if you took over assets. In the end I was right about that. It is unfortunate people who took over large assets will frankly never understand what I am talking about.
 
For everyone else on the board, is it really that rampant in every region? Train, I laughed forever about your 1-6 but do other regions see this sort of thing on a regular basis.No, I think I talked about the issue, and you are busy trying to dismiss my credibility. I could lie about my numbers or my performance, but I prefer to be honest. If you remember, my first post was related to the actual subject (which consequently was "Doorknocking advice", not "SometimeNowhere's Assets"), whereas just about every post by you has been questioning my business. So, for our future talks, I would prefer that you talk about what the actual subject of the thread is. The fact is, as I have stated several times, that the amount of assets that I received was inconsequential in relation to what I need to pay my bills. I continue to bring in plenty of new money a month through the means I mentioned previously. I believes that qualifies me to talk on the subject. I don't talk numbers because I think it is tacky (see the numerous complaints about Wind/Ronnie Dobbs posts).The problem with pikers like you is you look at a successful person and find a reason to begrudge them for it just so you can have a reason to bitch to your piker buddy at a new FA meeting about why someone else gets breaks that you don't get. The fact is I was honest with you about my business so far as it was relevant, and I continue to produce. If it weren't the assets you complained about, it would be that I got lucky prospecting some day, or the fact that all my business comes from referrals from a couple attorneys, or there aren't a lot of brokerage firms in my area, or I have wealthy relatives, etc, etc, etc.Here is my advice to you. Stop looking at your performance summary and assuming that just because 70% is still technically "meeting expectations" that you are still doing a good job. Find repeatable ways to generate business, and focus on that, not trying to be a martyr for all the new guys that didn't get some break that someone else did. If you want to say something meaningful, post your own numbers and say something enlightening or contribute to the ongoing sarcastic bend of the forum. Otherwise shut your piker mouth and quit embarrassing us.

utcheachea's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-08-13

SometimesNowhere wrote: RealWorld wrote:Sometimes nowhere if you thought you won some sort of debate you are missing the point.
So lets end our conversation right here. But in future talks I would prefer if you would talk about the matter at hand. I literally found your postings immature and defensive. It actually surprised me that you were so angry to be asked if you took over assets. In the end I was right about that. It is unfortunate people who took over large assets will frankly never understand what I am talking about.
 
For everyone else on the board, is it really that rampant in every region? Train, I laughed forever about your 1-6 but do other regions see this sort of thing on a regular basis.No, I think I talked about the issue, and you are busy trying to dismiss my credibility. I could lie about my numbers or my performance, but I prefer to be honest. If you remember, my first post was related to the actual subject (which consequently was "Doorknocking advice", not "SometimeNowhere's Assets"), whereas just about every post by you has been questioning my business. So, for our future talks, I would prefer that you talk about what the actual subject of the thread is. The fact is, as I have stated several times, that the amount of assets that I received was inconsequential in relation to what I need to pay my bills. I continue to bring in plenty of new money a month through the means I mentioned previously. I believes that qualifies me to talk on the subject. I don't talk numbers because I think it is tacky (see the numerous complaints about Wind/Ronnie Dobbs posts).The problem with pikers like you is you look at a successful person and find a reason to begrudge them for it just so you can have a reason to bitch to your piker buddy at a new FA meeting about why someone else gets breaks that you don't get. The fact is I was honest with you about my business so far as it was relevant, and I continue to produce. If it weren't the assets you complained about, it would be that I got lucky prospecting some day, or the fact that all my business comes from referrals from a couple attorneys, or there aren't a lot of brokerage firms in my area, or I have wealthy relatives, etc, etc, etc.Here is my advice to you. Stop looking at your performance summary and assuming that just because 70% is still technically "meeting expectations" that you are still doing a good job. Find repeatable ways to generate business, and focus on that, not trying to be a martyr for all the new guys that didn't get some break that someone else did. If you want to say something meaningful, post your own numbers and say something enlightening or contribute to the ongoing sarcastic bend of the forum. Otherwise shut your piker mouth and quit embarrassing us.
 
You never said what percentage of your book was inherited.  Youre dancing around his point.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×