Day One

15 replies [Last post]
ShoreDog's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-14

I'm sure this one will get me eaten up, but here goes.
Let's say it is Day one of your career. You passed your licensing exams yesterday and now you are in your office.   
Now what do you do next?

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

ShoreDog wrote:
I'm sure this one will get me eaten up, but here goes.
Let's say it is Day one of your career. You passed your licensing exams yesterday and now you are in your office.   
Now what do you do next?

If it is today, bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.

pretzelhead's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-03-23

Get on the phone.  Cold call a business.  Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Today is the kind of day where everybody wants to talk to a broker.
It's a great day to be brand new!

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

However, if you passed yesterday, you're not a broker today, you need to be aged 45days(?) to be cheesy enough.

pretzelhead's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-03-23

Market's down because I dropped big tix yesterday.

ShoreDog's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-14

pretzelhead wrote:Get on the phone.  Cold call a business.  Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
 
What do you say to a business that you are cold calling?

Ashland's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-03-06

I'm calling because your broker's not.

Ashland's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-03-06

pretzelhead wrote: Market's down because I dropped big tix yesterday.

The worst... drop a ticket just ahead of the end of the month. Their first month statement down 6%...

LEAP's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-15

Gawd - There are a few people I hope to reach by phone before running into them at the golf course this weekend.

LEAP's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-15

ShoreDog -
Go to the library and ask the reference librarian for a list of businesses and owners in your area.  Call them and say:
Hi there, my name is shoredog and I am new to town.  Granted your business is very successful today, but if you were starting over, what and who would be most important to ensure your success?
Make conversation with them and let them do 90% of the talking.  Make friends by being a good listener.  When they ask what you do, give a quick response and relate it to a question you can ask to get them talking again.
Conversation is a commodity usually overbought, making valuable those that say more by speaking less.
 

bornagainbankr's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-16

Call your Mom and ask her to refer all her friends to you....

ShoreDog's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-14

bornagainbankr wrote:Call your Mom and ask her to refer all her friends to you....
 
I guess that was your big plan

Oldproducer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-14

So, what did you do your first day?

Surely you have a business plan? If not, develop one. Who is your target audience? How are you going to reach them? What are you going to say or do when you do reach them? What goals do you have set for yourself?

Search on this site for "500 day war" or something like that, posted by The Judge. If that doesn't get you going and provide some direction, then you might want to start working on your resume.

Good luck.

ShoreDog's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-14

Oldproducer wrote:So, what did you do your first day? Surely you have a business plan? If not, develop one. Who is your target audience? How are you going to reach them? What are you going to say or do when you do reach them? What goals do you have set for yourself? Search on this site for "500 day war" or something like that, posted by The Judge. If that doesn't get you going and provide some direction, then you might want to start working on your resume. Good luck.
Thanks OP that's a great reply. That 500 day war is great.

vbrainy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-26

pretzelhead wrote:Get on the phone.  Cold call a business.  Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
yep that is the whole enchilada
and here is what you DONT do:
play on the internet
wait for the phone to ring
take up the time of producers in your office by sitting in their office and bs ing.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×