Another Newb Thread

78 replies [Last post]
S. Charlie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-11-05

 Hi There, I’m new to the board and, based on what I’ve read here,  I’ve decided to pursue the EDJ FA position as well as a position with MassMutual or Guardian Life in the event that I don’t get hired at EDJ. That said, I’d like to get some thoughts & opinions in regards to whether or not going this route will be a good idea as I made my decision based on bits and pieces of information drawn from threads in which I only have one thing in common with the author.  About Me: I’m a 20 year old AA Female with a B.S. in Finance. FWIW, I graduated with a 3.9 GPA and have lots of honors and awards that I’m fully aware don’t mean much at the places I‘m considering. I'll also be looking to work in the SE Florida region.Work Experience: Nothing exceptional but I do have experience going door to door canvassing for a local independent party and getting middle aged and up individuals to give me the time of day to talk politics and give me their contact info. I also have typical retail customer service experience mainly via working at Victoria’s Secret.Lastly, since I’ve read the thread posted by ElectricSqueak , I'm not Windy and I said FU to my last two years of HS which is why I graduated University at 19 going on 20.TIA for taking the time to reply to my thread.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Since you've read the ElectricSqueak thread you then know that in order to be vetted on this site I need to see your picture so I can vouch for you.

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

f***ING ROOGLE

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

IMHO:
You're really young.  You're going to be asking 75 year old men and women for their money.  Getting them to talk politics with you is a LOT different than getting them to give you their life savings.  So, unless you look older than you are, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle.  Unless you doorknock wearing only the clothing line you used to sell.  Then they'll be throwing money at you.  It'll only be small bills, but new FAs have to take what they can get.
 
Second, please don't take this as a racial comment, but you're AA.  The AA advisors I know personally have to work a little harder because of their race.  The AA community isn't well known for having a great investing history.  And those 75 year old white guys are going to have to overcome some stereotypes before they give you their money.  They don't know that you graduated early with a great GPA and that you have a degree in finance.  They'll see you as that AA girl (not woman) who rang the doorbell. 
 
Third, like most recent college grads, you probably don't really know what you want to do with your life.  Sure, you have a finance degree, but that doesn't mean you learned how to sell stocks and bonds.  You have a theory based degree.  The real world is a lot different than the classroom.  I don't know of many people who were ready for this job at 20. 
 
Finally, there's a huge difference between MassMutual, Guardian, and EDJ.  If you're determined to get started with one of those companies, the first decision you need to make is do you want to sell insurance or investments?  At MM and Guardian you'll be selling insurance first, investments second.  At Jones it's just the opposite. 
 
If you were willing to relocate and wanted to work for Jones, I'd suggest the PASS program.  You'd be based out of STL for a while, but could eventually end up back in FL.  I'm not sure how much info is out there on the PASS program, so PM me if you want more info on it.  I know there's at least one former PASS guy on here once in a while.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Full Throttle's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-08-26

I'd personally go the mutual insurance route given your age.  I don't mean that as a knock, but as an opportunity.  Use what you have to your advantage to get meetings and bring in a senior rep to close the business.  Not saying it will be easy, but you're fate is completely in your own hands.  As you develop an insurance base and pick up some investments along the way, there is no reason you can't adjust your practice as you choose down the line.

Hey Kool-Aid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-30

lol....No joke....I thought AA was her bra size, particularly after the Victoria's Secret comment!   I guess I need to go through the sensitivity training again!

S. Charlie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-11-05

Spaceman Spiff wrote:IMHO:
You're really young.  You're going to be asking 75 year old men and women for their money.  Getting them to talk politics with you is a LOT different than getting them to give you their life savings.  So, unless you look older than you are, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle.  Unless you doorknock wearing only the clothing line you used to sell.  Then they'll be throwing money at you.  It'll only be small bills, but new FAs have to take what they can get. Ahh, I figured this much based on what I read which is why I'm trying to speak with someone who took the 500 day war approach while at EDJ. Still going to be difficult, but at least I can sound older than I am.Second, please don't take this as a racial comment, but you're AA.  The AA advisors I know personally have to work a little harder because of their race.  The AA community isn't well known for having a great investing history.  And those 75 year old white guys are going to have to overcome some stereotypes before they give you their money.  They don't know that you graduated early with a great GPA and that you have a degree in finance.  They'll see you as that AA girl (not woman) who rang the doorbell. One step I planned on taking to address this is the cold calling approach and, as far as the AA comment is concerned, I'm technically West Indian. Consequently, while being black will still be an issue, as far as my community is concerned, I shouldn't have too much of a problem. Being born and raised in the WI,  90% of the black ppl I know are West Indian and the one's where I plan on living, grew up with, and currently know are all middle to upper class...(one of the benefits I guess of having parents who worked in the WI and later moved to the States). 
 
Third, like most recent college grads, you probably don't really know what you want to do with your life.  Sure, you have a finance degree, but that doesn't mean you learned how to sell stocks and bonds.  You have a theory based degree.  The real world is a lot different than the classroom.  I don't know of many people who were ready for this job at 20. 
 Can't really argue with you here but, bottom line is, this is what I went to school for and took such an interest in that I switched majors half way through my junior year. Matter of fact, my degree concentration is in personal financial planning. Also, the way things are practiced in the real world is different than the classroom in pretty much every field besides math and science. Lastly, not to be c***y, but I've always been light years ahead of my peers academically and maturity wise.
Finally, there's a huge difference between MassMutual, Guardian, and EDJ.  If you're determined to get started with one of those companies, the first decision you need to make is do you want to sell insurance or investments?  At MM and Guardian you'll be selling insurance first, investments second.  At Jones it's just the opposite. 
 I know there's a difference. I mentioned MassMutual and Guardian because, in the event I don't get hired at EDJ or I can't make it door knocking/cold calling, I can go the insurance route. Then, after selling insurance for a while ( thus gaining industry relevant sales experience and some extra years of life), I can make the transition to selling investments as well. Additionally, as a result of working at one of those two places, if I go indy I can take my clients with me. Or, who knows, I may very well stick with selling insurance. Either way, I still get to help ppl financially plan for the future.
If you were willing to relocate and wanted to work for Jones, I'd suggest the PASS program.  You'd be based out of STL for a while, but could eventually end up back in FL.  I'm not sure how much info is out there on the PASS program, so PM me if you want more info on it.  I know there's at least one former PASS guy on here once in a while.  Maybe he'll chime in.I haven't read much about the PASS program but, my understanding is that you train at HQ for about a year and either get a GK or have an increased opportunity to receive one. Whichever way it works, I'd still only be 21 by the time the program ends. Nevertheless, I suppose the assets given as a head start counts for something and I should probably look into it. Thanks for your reply, plenty of food for thought even though it may look like I tried to counter your points so I can stick with my current plan.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

x2 on the pass program ... and until I get that picture you are just Windy to me.

BerkshireBull's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-10

Squash1 wrote:f***ING ROOGLEStart posting the link or these noobs will never figure it out.ROOGLE:  http://forums.registeredrep.com/search_form.asp?FID=0

MsBroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-02

Hey Kool-Aid wrote:lol....No joke....I thought AA was her bra size, particularly after the Victoria's Secret comment!   I guess I need to go through the sensitivity training again!
 
Don't feel bad. I thought the exact same thing.  I was wondering why someone would post their bra size. I wasn't sure how that was relevant, but then again, there has been quite a bit of speculation on mine....

BerkshireBull's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-10

Unless you're going to do so in Milwaukee (not the suburbs, the city itself), Kenosha, or Racine you are probably not going to have luck as a black person doing mass prospecting in Wisconsin.I'm on the west side of the state and there's no one here to dislike because of their skin color so people have to use religion as a reason to dislike each other.

Hey Kool-Aid's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-03-30

MsBroker wrote:Hey Kool-Aid wrote:lol....No joke....I thought AA was her bra size, particularly after the Victoria's Secret comment!   I guess I need to go through the sensitivity training again!
 
Don't feel bad. I thought the exact same thing.  I was wondering why someone would post their bra size. I wasn't sure how that was relevant, but then again, there has been quite a bit of speculation on mine.... Particularly if it was only AA  ;)......and btw  still wondering about yours!!! 

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

voltmoie wrote:Since you've read the ElectricSqueak thread you then know that in order to be vetted on this site I need to see your picture so I can vouch for you.
 
 - awesome. It took everything in my power to refrain from making a "picture" comment. I am glad you did it for me, I feel better about myself!

S. Charlie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-11-05

BerkshireBull wrote:Unless you're going to do so in Milwaukee (not the suburbs, the city itself), Kenosha, or Racine you are probably not going to have luck as a black person doing mass prospecting in Wisconsin.I'm on the west side of the state and there's no one here to dislike because of their skin color so people have to use religion as a reason to dislike each other.
I'm looking to work in SE Florida.

S. Charlie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-11-05

Squash1 wrote:f***ING ROOGLEI already did that. I said I was seeking tailored advice since the threads I've come upon mention being young, female, or AA but never the whole trifecta.

Wet_Blanket's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

S. Charlie wrote: Squash1 wrote:
f***ING ROOGLEI already did that. I said I was seeking tailored advice since the threads I've come upon mention being young, female, or AA but never the whole trifecta.
 
I hope you aren't also in a wheelchair.  Are you?

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Why are you putting yourself in a box?  I never see any asian or hispanic women make a big deal about their race.  If you are articulate, smart, and driven what does it matter if you are black.  Oh, and African American? Really?  Did you just imigrate here? I've never seen a white person defined by a continent.  Grow up and assimilate.
 
If you are so worried about it go find a phone sales job where they probably won't know.

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

BerkshireBull wrote:Unless you're going to do so in Milwaukee (not the suburbs, the city itself), Kenosha, or Racine you are probably not going to have luck as a black person doing mass prospecting in Wisconsin.I'm on the west side of the state and there's no one here to dislike because of their skin color so people have to use religion as a reason to dislike each other.
 
 - WI as in West Indies, not the Cheese Head state. 
 
 
 

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

S. Charlie wrote: Squash1 wrote:
f***ING ROOGLEI already did that. I said I was seeking tailored advice since the threads I've come upon mention being young, female, or AA but never the whole trifecta.
 
You certainly have some different obstacles to overcome than the older white guys, but you sould very determined to make it work.  I still think something like the Pass Program would be great for you.  There's a big difference between textbooks, retail, and the financial sales/financial planning world.  While you've got some contacts from your family, they won't be enough, unless they're really rich, to build a complete book on them.  You're still going to have to go out and find some people on your own.  You have to sell yourself to people (not literally of course) before you can sell them a product or before they'll allow you to do any financial planning for them.  I think it would be a benefit to take your existing knowledge and drive, get some experience and practice, and then go for it. 

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

S. Charlie wrote:

Squash1 wrote:f***ING ROOGLEI already did that. I said I was seeking tailored advice since the threads I've come upon mention being young, female, or AA but never the whole trifecta. In her defense, ROOGLE sort of sucks. Last week I was trying to find a good cold calling script and had a hard time narrowing it down.I may be a moron though...

NewRep17's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-01

I would go the insurance route and get all your licenses...insurance first obviously then the 6, 66, 7, etc.  Then if you still want to get into advising go to a wire on a team or with a mentor.  The major objection you will have is age...you can overcome that with a Sr Ptr or Team situation.  If you can't get into a wire go with the insurance company get the credentials then apply to a wire.  I truly feel you will fail at Jones if you start there. 

S. Charlie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-11-05

Thanks for the advice Spaceman Spiff, Full Throttle, and NewRep17.  voltmoie wrote:Why are you putting yourself in a box?  I never see any asian or hispanic women make a big deal about their race.  If you are articulate, smart, and driven what does it matter if you are black.  Oh, and African American? Really?  Did you just imigrate here? I've never seen a white person defined by a continent.  Grow up and assimilate.
 
If you are so worried about it go find a phone sales job where they probably won't know.I know you can be facetious at times and I sincerely hope this is one of those instances. If it's not......Seriously? I'd respond with a much lengthier explanation of the flaws in your statement but, since you more than likely don't even care, all I'll say is I'm putting myself in a box because that is what the society in which I live in does. Yes, I could say screw it and do what I want, but this career is a financially taxing one that is dependent on another persons ability and then willingness to do business with me. So, when the majority of those who fall into the able category are 50+ y.o. white men, I think it matters.... If you can't see the faultly logic in bringing Asian and Hispanic women into your argument, then you're beyond hope.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Keep calling yourself African American then.... 
 
Do yourself a favor and go watch the Pursuit of Happiness tonight.  The man was black, poor, and is worth millions now selling securities to rich white folks - in a time before there was a black president.
 
Being black is not a disability, its an excuse.  So do you have the guts to do this or you want to make excuses?

S. Charlie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-11-05

In case you lack the reading comprehension skills necessary to properly dissect my query, I don't feel as though being AA in and of itself presents some insurmountable challenge. I'm asking for advice because I'm young & female on top if all. The person Will Smith's character portrayed at least happened to have being male and middle aged on his side.I find it quite interesting that some can concede that being young, or being a woman presents certain challenges in this profession yet act as tho being African American doesn't. I also find it quite insulting that you'd assume that me questioning my likelihood of success rests on the sole fact that I'm considered African American. Once again, if you can't grasp my main point of concern, it's that I'll be fighting a steep uphill battle due to being young, female, AND African American --- not any of those factors alone.  Take that for what you will, I have nothing more to say on this matter.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

I could careless what you think or your main concern - get over yourself.  Either do the job or not.  See if it works or not. Being black is an excuse. Being young is an excuse.  Being female is an excuse.  Want a cookie?
So do you have the guts to do this or you want to make excuses? This was ALLLLL covered in the ElecticSqueak thread.  Only difference is you are black. Wow, I'm impressed.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

voltmoie wrote:Keep calling yourself African American then.... 
 
Do yourself a favor and go watch the Pursuit of Happiness tonight.  The man was black, poor, and is worth millions now selling securities to rich white folks - in a time before there was a black president.
 
Being black is not a disability, its an excuse.  So do you have the guts to do this or you want to make excuses?
 

utcheachea's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-08-13

S. Charlie wrote:  Hi There, I’m new to the board and, based on what I’ve read here,  I’ve decided to pursue the EDJ FA position as well as a position with MassMutual or Guardian Life in the event that I don’t get hired at EDJ. That said, I’d like to get some thoughts & opinions in regards to whether or not going this route will be a good idea as I made my decision based on bits and pieces of information drawn from threads in which I only have one thing in common with the author.  About Me: I’m a 20 year old AA Female with a B.S. in Finance. FWIW, I graduated with a 3.9 GPA and have lots of honors and awards that I’m fully aware don’t mean much at the places I‘m considering. I'll also be looking to work in the SE Florida region.Work Experience: Nothing exceptional but I do have experience going door to door canvassing for a local independent party and getting middle aged and up individuals to give me the time of day to talk politics and give me their contact info. I also have typical retail customer service experience mainly via working at Victoria’s Secret.Lastly, since I’ve read the thread posted by ElectricSqueak , I'm not Windy and I said FU to my last two years of HS which is why I graduated University at 19 going on 20.TIA for taking the time to reply to my thread.

If you have a 3.9 dont go to Jones. You could get an analyst position at an elite firm somewhere. I don't know if youre good at selling, but in terms of education, you're overqualified imo.

NewRep17's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-01

I agree completely with this last post.  BUT if you really want to get in go with a wire not EJ.

mj23's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-16

voltmoie wrote: Keep calling yourself African American then.... 
 
Do yourself a favor and go watch the Pursuit of Happiness tonight.  The man was black, poor, and is worth millions now selling securities to rich white folks - in a time before there was a black president.
 
Being black is not a disability, its an excuse.  So do you have the guts to do this or you want to make excuses?

I like your posts, but this is not only ignorant, its just plain stupid.

My field trainer, regional leader and ATL ALL said that this job is a lot more difficult for a black guy than a white guy

Maybe it's different for me because I live in the south....but I know FOR A FACT that white people do not respond the same way to a black guy walking around their neighborhood as they would with a white guy

If youre not black please stfu because you dont know what youre talking about. Youre probably a nice person who treates everyone fair so youre assuming that everyone else is like you. NEWSFLASH, everyone isn't like you. I mean damn, a WHITE police officer that came to stop me from soliciting said "I know you're not up to anything, but you know how these old white people are" get the fukk outta here

And stop fukking bringing up the pursuit of happiness, god damn. are you fukking serious?

mj23's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-16

mj23 wrote: voltmoie wrote: Keep calling yourself African American then.... 
 
Do yourself a favor and go watch the Pursuit of Happiness tonight.  The man was black, poor, and is worth millions now selling securities to rich white folks - in a time before there was a black president.
 
Being black is not a disability, its an excuse.  So do you have the guts to do this or you want to make excuses?

I like your posts, but this is not only ignorant, its just plain stupid.

My field trainer, regional leader and ATL ALL said that this job is a lot more difficult for a black guy than a white guy

Maybe it's different for me because I live in the south....but I know FOR A FACT that white people do not respond the same way to a black guy walking around their neighborhood as they would with a white guy

If youre not black please stfu because you dont know what youre talking about. Youre probably a nice person who treates everyone fair so youre assuming that everyone else is like you. NEWSFLASH, everyone isn't like you. I mean damn, a WHITE police officer that came to stop me from soliciting said "I know you're not up to anything, but you know how these old white people are"

And stop fukking bringing up the pursuit of happiness, god damn. are you fukking serious?

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

mj23 wrote:
I like your posts, but this is not only ignorant, its just plain stupid.

My field trainer, regional leader and ATL ALL said that this job is a lot more difficult for a black guy than a white guy

Maybe it's different for me because I live in the south....but I know FOR A FACT that white people do not respond the same way to a black guy walking around their neighborhood as they would with a white guy

If youre not black please stfu because you dont know what youre talking about. Youre probably a nice person who treates everyone fair so youre assuming that everyone else is like you. NEWSFLASH, everyone isn't like you. I mean damn, a WHITE police officer that came to stop me from soliciting said "I know you're not up to anything, but you know how these old white people are" get the fukk outta here

And stop fukking bringing up the pursuit of happiness, god damn. are you fukking serious?

I'm guessing you are pissed because you are a black man.  Don't be so sensitive.  I never said this job is easy.  It's tough if you are black or white, it just happens that many black people get it in their head the reason they didn't produce was because they were black.Plenty of white guys have had the police roll up on them because they were knocking on doors.  This is the problem with race relations.  When it happens to me, I say oh well the old lady was scared.  When it happens to you it was because you were black.  Maybe so but you don't know .. you assume.Suck it up, do the work, work harder than anyone else and you'll make it.  What is so hard to understand with that.  Are you telling me a black man can't make it or just the black man in the mirror?Success is color blind. 

DeBolt's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-12

S. Charlie wrote: That said, I’d like to get some thoughts & opinions in regards to whether or not going this route will be a good idea as I made my decision based on bits and pieces of information drawn from threads in which I only have one thing in common with the author. 
 
First, don't get so upset when you ask for "thoughts and opinions" and some are not the ones you want to hear.
 
Second, If you are going to be successful it doesn't matter if you picked the correct route first. What matters is that you have the drive and desire to make it no matter the route you take.
 
Good luck either way.
 

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Last thought, your RL, FT, and ATL have given you an excuse to fail.  Have given you a reason why might not be a success.  Shame on them.  SHAME.  Don't listen to those that say it's too tough, you can't do it. You are too young, too dark, too gay in ron's case, or not a man.  I truly think this career is an amazing oppurtunity .. whatever your obsticles you just have to figure out a way to overcome them.So go on being a black financial advisor if you want.  I just prefer to be a financial advisor.

mj23's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-16

voltmoie wrote:

mj23 wrote:
I like your posts, but this is not only ignorant, its just plain stupid.

My field trainer, regional leader and ATL ALL said that this job is a lot more difficult for a black guy than a white guy

Maybe it's different for me because I live in the south....but I know FOR A FACT that white people do not respond the same way to a black guy walking around their neighborhood as they would with a white guy

If youre not black please stfu because you dont know what youre talking about. Youre probably a nice person who treates everyone fair so youre assuming that everyone else is like you. NEWSFLASH, everyone isn't like you. I mean damn, a WHITE police officer that came to stop me from soliciting said "I know you're not up to anything, but you know how these old white people are" get the fukk outta here

And stop fukking bringing up the pursuit of happiness, god damn. are you fukking serious?

I'm guessing you are pissed because you are a black man.  Don't be so sensitive.  I never said this job is easy.  It's tough if you are black or white, it just happens that many black people get it in their head the reason they didn't produce was because they were black.Plenty of white guys have had the police roll up on them because they were knocking on doors.  This is the problem with race relations.  When it happens to me, I say oh well the old lady was scared.  When it happens to you it was because you were black.  Maybe so but you don't know .. you assume.Suck it up, do the work, work harder than anyone else and you'll make it.  What is so hard to understand with that.  Are you telling me a black man can't make it or just the black man in the mirror?Success is color blind. 

Why would I be pissed because I'm black? lol, i wouldnt have it any other way. You're right, this job is tough for ANYBODY, I never suggested that it wasn't.

I never said people called the police on me because I was black (this happens to everyone) all I did was tell you what the WHITE officer told me

You make too many ignorant assumptions. When did I "tell you that a black man can't make it"

Got damn, literally EVERY line in your post is twisting my words or making some stupid assumption. I hate it when people say "youre gonna have to work harder than everyone else because youre black" everyone should have to work equally hard.

its sad that expect someone to have to work harder than everyone else because of their race or gender...but hey, thats life.

My RL and Field Trainer werent trying to be negative, they were just keeping it real...but like you said, this job is extremely tough for anybody. But yeah, anybody can make it in this business if they work hard enough, black people just have to work harder (Depending on who they target) these are facts bro.

Mr.Blonde's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-10-06

mj23 wrote: voltmoie wrote: mj23 wrote: I like your posts, but this is not only ignorant, its just plain stupid. My field trainer, regional leader and ATL ALL said that this job is a lot more difficult for a black guy than a white guy Maybe it's different for me because I live in the south....but I know FOR A FACT that white people do not respond the same way to a black guy walking around their neighborhood as they would with a white guy If youre not black please stfu because you dont know what youre talking about. Youre probably a nice person who treates everyone fair so youre assuming that everyone else is like you. NEWSFLASH, everyone isn't like you. I mean damn, a WHITE police officer that came to stop me from soliciting said "I know you're not up to anything, but you know how these old white people are" get the fukk outta here And stop fukking bringing up the pursuit of happiness, god damn. are you fukking serious? I'm guessing you are pissed because you are a black man.  Don't be so sensitive.  I never said this job is easy.  It's tough if you are black or white, it just happens that many black people get it in their head the reason they didn't produce was because they were black.Plenty of white guys have had the police roll up on them because they were knocking on doors.  This is the problem with race relations.  When it happens to me, I say oh well the old lady was scared.  When it happens to you it was because you were black.  Maybe so but you don't know .. you assume.Suck it up, do the work, work harder than anyone else and you'll make it.  What is so hard to understand with that.  Are you telling me a black man can't make it or just the black man in the mirror?Success is color blind.  Why would I be pissed because I'm black? lol, i wouldnt have it any other way. You're right, this job is tough for ANYBODY, I never suggested that it wasn't. I never said people called the police on me because I was black (this happens to everyone) all I did was tell you what the WHITE officer told me You make too many ignorant assumptions. When did I "tell you that a black man can't make it" Got damn, literally EVERY line in your post is twisting my words or making some stupid assumption. I hate it when people say "youre gonna have to work harder than everyone else because youre black" everyone should have to work equally hard. its sad that expect someone to have to work harder than everyone else because of their race or gender...but hey, thats life. My RL and Field Trainer werent trying to be negative, they were just keeping it real...but like you said, this job is extremely tough for anybody. But yeah, anybody can make it in this business if they work hard enough, black people just have to work harder (Depending on who they target) these are facts bro.

You'll get used to Volt twisting words, welcome to the site

lady_trader's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-12

I have to say that I am biased here: This poster sounds more intelligent and thoughtful than many people who comment here.
I would go for it. You are young, but worst case scenario you get your Series 7/63 and you find out you do not like being an advisor. You could become someone's assistant, a wholesaler, or work at a home office. (Isn't Raymond James in Florida?) The 3.9 GPA and the solid sentence construction tells me you have a good shot of passing the Series 7.
 
I have never worked at any of the firms that you mentioned. However, Jones is known for door-knocking. Is this something that you are comfortable doing? If not, perhaps the other companies make sense.
 
Also, don't let some of the people get to you.  I am definately not defending these people, but you may want to ask more questions on this site later and they could have answers.
(The funniest comment came from the poster that thought AA was her bra size. I mean, seriously, what woman do you know would proudly profess the smallest size out there?! Haha)
 
Good luck.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Being black does not disqualify you from succeeding. Being black with a chip on your shoulder does.

Volt is 100% right here. Not twisting words. HE is the only one keeping it real.

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

I agree with Volt. Being black is an excuse. It's the reason so many black people struggle today. They don't do what's right for them, instead they revert to, "It's hard cause i'm black." or "I was in dog fights because that's how we do it in the streets". Come on. Seriously.

The main point to this whole thing is black people are not doing things any more difficult these days than a white person. The problem is they segregate themselves. They act like everything is harder for them, then they create Miss Black Kansas, Black Entertainment Television, Black Appreciation Month. I mean, it's understandable that 60 years ago things were horrible for them, but seriously. White people have been through some sh*t too. Died in World Wars, Disease, Civil War, Plagues, Emancipation from OUR original country, murder, torture, etc.. Just makes me a bit angry because the only thing holding them back is themselves and we get the blame. If a black person can't get something done or can't get into the school they want, it's the white people. Black people are about 80% of the prison population, it's the white people. You fail in your business, it's a white person. You get fired from your job because your a lazy bastard, a lawsuit begins and it's because of the white person. We have a Black President though, and i'm pretty sure the white people helped there. If we had a White Entertainment Television, we'd be racist.

I have alot of black friends, who ALL agree with this, so it's not just me, but then again they are all WELL educated. It's alot like borrowing money from a friend. You borrow $100 because you are in trouble, then for the rest of your life they hang it over your head, except with black people, most of the ones living today hang it over our head, when the majority weren't even affected by what happened 60 years ago. It's nothing more than an excuse for their own failures. Still@Jones, are you black?

Just do your job. Stop acting like skin color means anything. There is a new black guy in my region. Super nice fellow and he's kicking ass. i'm in the south too. I wish the race card would be burned by you guys so we can worry about things important like blowing up Muslims before they go on a shooting rampage on our own military bases.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Two points Windy.

+ You are not in the south. The South has black populations over 30-50 percent. It also has BBQ and sweat tea. It has the ACC and the SEC. It has NASCAR. You've got freaking antelope for christ sake. You sir are not from the dirty south.

+ I think blacks have suffered terribly in this country. The social and economic injustices they've been subjected to we can't begin to understand. Our police forces have treated them like criminals and they have rebelled. Our laws are biased against them and they do more jail time. Our doors are only half way open to them. As a culture they do have a choose though, white america is more accepting today than ever. They can continue to segregate themselves or assimilate. Black leaders have to become more mainstream, look for ways to improve their communities rather than always complaining. Jim Brown should be a role model for the community instead its Rev. Al. Sad.

To my black friends. Do the work, kick ass, and all is good. If you fail though, its not because you are black. Its because you are weak. Also, I think its important you network and join community groups (lions, etc.) more so than the white guys. Is it fair, no, what is? You want fair ... get on a bus and pay it.

Last point: lose the "black" in your voice. Its a hindrance.

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

voltmoie wrote: Two points Windy.

+ You are not in the south. The South has black populations over 30-50 percent. It also has BBQ and sweat tea. It has the ACC and the SEC. It has NASCAR. You've got freaking antelope for christ sake. You sir are not from the dirty south.

You've never actually been here have you Volt and if you have it sounds like you've only been in the 2 metropolitan areas in the whole state. This state is nothing but small towns. BBQ, Nascar, Football, Mullets, Oil rigs in backyards, Country Legends, World Rodeo Championships, Tornado's and Trailer Parks all reign in my state. Let's not forget the Meth labs in trailer homes in the mountains of SE Oklahoma and the Tulsa race riots. Did you know one of the largest groups of the KKK is here, and being fought by the police everyday? We may not have the black population (although OKC's and Tulsa is around 20%) I'd say this is pretty damn close to the south.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Ronnie Dobbs wrote: voltmoie wrote: Two points Windy. + You are not in the south. The South has black populations over 30-50 percent. It also has BBQ and sweat tea. It has the ACC and the SEC. It has NASCAR. You've got freaking antelope for christ sake. You sir are not from the dirty south. You've never actually been here have you Volt and if you have it sounds like you've only been in the 2 metropolitan areas in the whole state. This state is nothing but small towns. BBQ, Nascar, Football, Mullets, Oil rigs in backyards, Country Legends, World Rodeo Championships, Tornado's and Trailer Parks all reign in my state. Let's not forget the Meth labs in trailer homes in the mountains of SE Oklahoma and the Tulsa race riots. Did you know one of the largest groups of the KKK is here, and being fought by the police everyday? We may not have the black population (although OKC's and Tulsa is around 20%) I'd say this is pretty damn close to the south.
 
I used to go to Enid twice a month (I did fly into OKC or drive up from Amarillo), been to your fine state plenty of times.  It's rural but not the south.  OK is tough to fit into a regional box.  You are somewhere between mid-west and south-west but certainly not the traditional south. 

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

I was born in OK - Tulsa.  Spent almost every summer from age 6 to 17 there.  I go to Norman every year in April for a week.  I live in the South.  Oklahoma is not the South.

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

voltmoie wrote: Ronnie Dobbs wrote: voltmoie wrote: Two points Windy. + You are not in the south. The South has black populations over 30-50 percent. It also has BBQ and sweat tea. It has the ACC and the SEC. It has NASCAR. You've got freaking antelope for christ sake. You sir are not from the dirty south. You've never actually been here have you Volt and if you have it sounds like you've only been in the 2 metropolitan areas in the whole state. This state is nothing but small towns. BBQ, Nascar, Football, Mullets, Oil rigs in backyards, Country Legends, World Rodeo Championships, Tornado's and Trailer Parks all reign in my state. Let's not forget the Meth labs in trailer homes in the mountains of SE Oklahoma and the Tulsa race riots. Did you know one of the largest groups of the KKK is here, and being fought by the police everyday? We may not have the black population (although OKC's and Tulsa is around 20%) I'd say this is pretty damn close to the south.
 
I used to go to Enid twice a month (I did fly into OKC or drive up from Amarillo), been to your fine state plenty of times.  It's rural but not the south.  OK is tough to fit into a regional box.  You are somewhere between mid-west and south-west but certainly not the traditional south. 

Enid is not the south. Enid is farmers ranchers, cattle and wheat. I'm guessing you have never been to Broken Bow, Oklahoma......SE Oklahoma is another world.

MsBroker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-02

No, southwest Georgia, south Alabama and Mississippi are whole other worlds. Seriously, we lived there (right around the GA/AL border) for a year. Still segregated in the mid 90's. Probably still are. They had trailers behind the school for the black kids. No joke. (My mom actually got a call from my teacher on my second day of school. It went something like this... MsBroker has an issue with saying yes, ma'am, and no, ma'am. If she doesn't correct this, we're gonna have to put her in the lower class with the black children.)
 
You walk into a convenience store, there is a line of ten black people, if you are white, you go to the front of the line.
 
KKK was extremely active, so much so that we received threats because we were the only catholics in town.

mj23's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-16

Moraen wrote: Being black does not disqualify you from succeeding. Being black with a chip on your shoulder does.

Volt is 100% right here. Not twisting words. HE is the only one keeping it real.

Do you know what "twisting words" means?

Most of what he said was true, but he implied that I was suggesting things that I never suggested. Read my first post, then read his response and tell me he didn't twist my words and make a bunch of assumptions.

If you really believe that my RL, field trainer and ATL were lying, then you live in a fantasy world. Nobody said blacks can't make it, they said you have to work harder. Lol @ you disputing that.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

MsBroker wrote:No, southwest Georgia, south Alabama and Mississippi are whole other worlds. Seriously, we lived there (right around the GA/AL border) for a year. Still segregated in the mid 90's. Probably still are. They had trailers behind the school for the black kids. No joke. (My mom actually got a call from my teacher on my second day of school. It went something like this... MsBroker has an issue with saying yes, ma'am, and no, ma'am. If she doesn't correct this, we're gonna have to put her in the lower class with the black children.)
 
You walk into a convenience store, there is a line of ten black people, if you are white, you go to the front of the line.
 
KKK was extremely active, so much so that we received threats because we were the only catholics in town. I call BS

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

mj23 wrote: Moraen wrote: Being black does not disqualify you from succeeding. Being black with a chip on your shoulder does.

Volt is 100% right here. Not twisting words. HE is the only one keeping it real.

Do you know what "twisting words" means?

Most of what he said was true, but he implied that I was suggesting things that I never suggested. Read my first post, then read his response and tell me he didn't twist my words and make a bunch of assumptions.

If you really believe that my RL, field trainer and ATL were lying, then you live in a fantasy world. Nobody said blacks can't make it, they said you have to work harder. Lol @ you disputing that.You got holes in the bottoms of two pairs of shoes?  DOUBT IT

mj23's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-16

Ronnie Dobbs wrote: I agree with Volt. Being black is an excuse. It's the reason so many black people struggle today. They don't do what's right for them, instead they revert to, "It's hard cause i'm black." or "I was in dog fights because that's how we do it in the streets". Come on. Seriously.

The main point to this whole thing is black people are not doing things any more difficult these days than a white person. The problem is they segregate themselves. They act like everything is harder for them, then they create Miss Black Kansas, Black Entertainment Television, Black Appreciation Month. I mean, it's understandable that 60 years ago things were horrible for them, but seriously. White people have been through some sh*t too. Died in World Wars, Disease, Civil War, Plagues, Emancipation from OUR original country, murder, torture, etc.. Just makes me a bit angry because the only thing holding them back is themselves and we get the blame. If a black person can't get something done or can't get into the school they want, it's the white people. Black people are about 80% of the prison population, it's the white people. You fail in your business, it's a white person. You get fired from your job because your a lazy bastard, a lawsuit begins and it's because of the white person. We have a Black President though, and i'm pretty sure the white people helped there. If we had a White Entertainment Television, we'd be racist.

I have alot of black friends, who ALL agree with this, so it's not just me, but then again they are all WELL educated. It's alot like borrowing money from a friend. You borrow $100 because you are in trouble, then for the rest of your life they hang it over your head, except with black people, most of the ones living today hang it over our head, when the majority weren't even affected by what happened 60 years ago. It's nothing more than an excuse for their own failures. Still@Jones, are you black?

Just do your job. Stop acting like skin color means anything. There is a new black guy in my region. Super nice fellow and he's kicking ass. i'm in the south too. I wish the race card would be burned by you guys so we can worry about things important like blowing up Muslims before they go on a shooting rampage on our own military bases.

.....

Ronnie Dobbs's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-07-23

I may be an idiot but your still using race as an excuse for your failures. That's more ignorant than anything I've ever said

mj23's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-09-16

Ronnie Dobbs wrote: I may be an idiot but your still using race as an excuse for your failures. That's more ignorant than anything I've ever said

.....

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

MJ, seriously, you are buying into one guys opinion of why you and your
fellow blacks do not have the same opportunity. We don't need a youtube
clip to know it's easier to hail a cab as a white man in NYC.  There
are racists and stereotypes everywhere for every section of the
population.  When I bump up against a sista in the club she
automatically thinks "I can't dance, can't jump, and have a small
c*ck"  Is that fair?  Of course not... I CAN JUMP!  None of it matters
in our careers.

Point is this job has varying degrees of difficulty for all of us. 
When you take into account the dynamics of our personal situations its
a wonder anyone makes it.  All I know is what I've been told and see. 
People without that rich uncle or that get a branch have to grind it
out to win.  Black, white, male or female makes no difference.  It's a
grind. Some are tough enough, some are not.  When someone like this
chick that started the thread makes her race an issue as to her ability
to succeed in this career it annoys me and I'm happy to call her out for
it.  Her ability to succeed is entirely dependent on her ability to
withstand the grind.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×