Skip navigation

2010 Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Training Program

or Register to post new content in the forum

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Nov 22, 2009 6:34 pm

I have been contacted by a contracted recruiter to consider a career with MSSB.  From what I can tell I guess they hire a certain times of the year to simplify training.  I have read some of the posts on hear about the programs before the two companies merged but I would like to get someone’s input who has gone through the program recently. Is that a firm where they just hire as many people as they can  and then see what bodies are left at the end of the year.

1.  What was the experience like vs. what the recruiter told you 2.  What are the working conditions vs. what the recruiter told you 3.  What was the compensation vs. what the recruiter told you 4.  Any other words of wisdom or thing I should know or be cautious about   Thanks in advance
Nov 22, 2009 11:33 pm

It took me 10 seconds to ROOGLE this for you.

<table =“tableBorder” style=“table-layout: fixed;” align=“center” cellpadding=“3” cellspacing=“1”>

<td =“msgOddTableTop” valign=“top”> Posted: Yesterday at 9:42am I'm a couple weeks in.  Great working environment (VERY professional).  Everybody is welcoming and willing to help in any way possible.  In the beginning, though, it is all about studying for the Series 7 and 66.  That's what you do all day for the first 3 months (study and take practice exams), except for a few sales meetings, lunch meetings, etc.   So, get ready to put your suit on and start studying, studying and studying more.  And, if I didn't already mention it, don't forget to study!   Am I curious, though, what you mean by "I am planning on starting out in the MSSB FAA program in the next couple of months."  Do THEY know about your plan yet??   Good luck!
Nov 22, 2009 11:39 pm

I love it… ROOGLE…

Nov 23, 2009 7:17 pm

[quote=Mr. R]I have been contacted by a contracted recruiter to consider a career with MSSB.  From what I can tell I guess they hire a certain times of the year to simplify training.  I have read some of the posts on hear about the programs before the two companies merged but I would like to get someone’s input who has gone through the program recently. Is that a firm where they just hire as many people as they can  and then see what bodies are left at the end of the year.

1.  What was the experience like vs. what the recruiter told you 2.  What are the working conditions vs. what the recruiter told you 3.  What was the compensation vs. what the recruiter told you 4.  Any other words of wisdom or thing I should know or be cautious about   Thanks in advance[/quote]   1. I was an intern before I started in production, never talked to a recruiter. 2. I knew what I was getting into before of my experience as intern. Small office, very laid back atmosphere. I would of started in a cube if I was in a bigger market, so it was nice to start out with my own office. 3. Comp is based on experience and education. It is negotiable, but be careful and let them know you have other options. Its in their best interest to get you at a bargain price. 4. They will more than likely want you to join on a team, which can make it easier to succeed. Be careful though, I've heard of instances where a team picks up a young FA just to have them be a glorified CSA. Then they drop them a couple of years down the road just to find another person and do the same thing. Or better yet, the team leaves without inviting you and they take the entire book, leaving you with nothing. So be cautious if this an option.
Nov 23, 2009 9:21 pm
  . I was an intern before I started in production, never talked to a recruiter. 2. I knew what I was getting into before of my experience as intern. Small office, very laid back atmosphere. I would of started in a cube if I was in a bigger market, so it was nice to start out with my own office. 3. Comp is based on experience and education. It is negotiable, but be careful and let them know you have other options. Its in their best interest to get you at a bargain price. 4. They will more than likely want you to join on a team, which can make it easier to succeed. Be careful though, I've heard of instances where a team picks up a young FA just to have them be a glorified CSA. Then they drop them a couple of years down the road just to find another person and do the same thing. Or better yet, the team leaves without inviting you and they take the entire book, leaving you with nothing. So be cautious if this an option.[/quote]   This is a good answer! What it boils down to Mr.R is trust no one in your office not even your employer!  
Nov 24, 2009 2:08 am

thanks for your responses

Nov 25, 2009 8:10 pm

[quote=Mr. R]

Is that a firm where they just hire as many people as they can  and then see what bodies are left at the end of the year.  [/quote]   Yes........That's pretty much it.....and everyone who has ever worked in a wirehouse pretty much knows it........Doesn't make it good or bad.....just lets you know that they are not banking on you succeeding, they are just giving you a chance to succeed....   Good Luck with your decision.......    
Dec 23, 2009 12:08 am

what is a CSA?