Radio advertising/talk show

10 replies [Last post]
2wheeledbeemer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-10

Prefacing this question with the statement that I've poured money into many different holes looking for the new new, but does anybody have good feedback on being the 'finance guy' on a local talk radio show? Got pitched today by one of the local stations about being their investment dude on a morning drive time show, the show being a local host doing a pretty good job of being a hometown version of Rush/Hannity. The format would be daily general market/economic commentary in a 5 minute +- give and take with the local host, then 30 sec. spots throughout the day pumping my next seminar, etc. The station would also get my compliance approved comments on general developments in the market/economy from time to time, outside of that time slot. Don't have a price yet.

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

I have a friend who does similar comments...Never really mentions how effective or not it is...

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

I'd pay the money to do it.  Especially with the spots throughout the day.  If you were only going to be on for 5 minutes and they weren't going to tell the audience how to get ahold of you any other time, it might  not be a great deal.  If it were me I'd be trying to leverage that 5 minute spot into a full blown call in show on the weekend. 

buyandhold's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-09-23

Thanks a lot. All our work educating clients, spending years getting to know them and their goals, explaining risk and return, keeping them invested ... all of that down the drain because, 'I heard Beemer on Kiss-FM say I should totally be in cash right now. His advice rocks.'

2wheeledbeemer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-10

I've already got a call in to Suze O's people to see if she'll do a live call-in, on my call-in.  She's a genius.  I just love it when clients come in for a meeting carrying a copy of her latest Pulitzer-worthy tome.
 
Really though, isn't she an example of the medium becoming the message?  What was she like as a producer, does anybody know?  She has created a media empire on the sheer force of her personality.  What's to prevent any of us from doing the same?

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

I've been getting the calls for the same type of radio show.  Apparently they don't screen the advisors really well as I am a deaf mute.

2wheeledbeemer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-10

snaggletooth wrote:I've been getting the calls for the same type of radio show.  Apparently they don't screen the advisors really well as I am a deaf mute.
 
I'll bet your quote screen feels funny.
Edit--That's only funny if you said you were blind, deaf and mute.

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

2wheeledbeemer wrote:snaggletooth wrote:I've been getting the calls for the same type of radio show.  Apparently they don't screen the advisors really well as I am a deaf mute.
 
I'll bet your quote screen feels funny.
Edit--That's only funny if you said you were blind, deaf and mute.

 
The weird thing is I've never been able to set an appointment on a cold call.  I keep trying and trying, but I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall...
 
 

2wheeledbeemer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-10

snaggletooth wrote:2wheeledbeemer wrote:snaggletooth wrote:I've been getting the calls for the same type of radio show.  Apparently they don't screen the advisors really well as I am a deaf mute.
 
I'll bet your quote screen feels funny.
Edit--That's only funny if you said you were blind, deaf and mute.

 
The weird thing is I've never been able to set an appointment on a cold call.  I keep trying and trying, but I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall...
 
 
On the other hand, you're really good at not taking "no" for an answer.

henryhill's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-08-23

I did a stock market report for my local station for 2-3 years.  No charge for me to do the report as long as I had an advertising program with them.  A few clients would mention they heard me on the radio but I NEVER received a new client/prospect from the station.

2wheeledbeemer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-10

Yeah, we did the closing market report at AGE for eons, never got a single bit of business from it.
 
I guess how I see this being potentially different is the extended exposure of the back-and-forth with the host, and then using that to drive interest and attendance to the next seminar that I'd be hosting.  We've got an LPL guy here in town that's done one of these at another station for years, so you'd think it must be doing something for him.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×