Skip navigation

Journey to T12= $1,000,000

or Register to post new content in the forum

191 RepliesJump to last post

Comments

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.  Talent will not, nothing is more common then unsuccessful men with talent.  Genius will not, unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.  Education will not, the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. “Press On” has solved and will always solve the problems of the human race."-  Calvin Coolidge

Dials:427

Contacts:50

Prospects:2

Sep 30, 2011 9:49 pm

Past two days have been a bit frustrating..Have not really had any really good conversations and trying to keep the dials up.  Been calling alot of doctor offices which I hope is not a waste of time but it feels that way.  I cant even guess how many messages I have left with receptionists who are very dismissive and evidently make decisions for the doc.  I dont mind hearing no but I would prefer it be from the person I am looking for business from rather then the assistant...Oh well just the way it goes I guess.  Putting a lot of faith in the 400 dials and it doesnt matter what you say you will be ok philosophy because I am blindly going to continue moving forward at that pace..Any suggestions on how to improve my calls?  I have found some good prospects over the last few weeks but am always open to ways to improve...I also have come to the realization I need a better list.  It is hard to get someone on the phone and then to find they just are not remotely qualified or barely speak english is a little frustrating...I feel like I need to crank it up over 500 to 600 and call later in the evenings.  Also think I am going to have to add 200 residential dials or so on top of the 400 biz...I am willing to put in the effort and have faith the numbers will work out...Long week but taking it as a win..got a new account and an order! that happens every week and at a minimum I will survive...

Dials:400 -Grueling 400...felt like 1000

Contacts:43

Prospects:3-being a little generous maybe..people willing to hear back from me and talk more..

Sep 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Hello Long Shot,

Well done on your week.......it's a little early to change anything as you are already doing close to 500 dials a day. Having a good list makes a world of difference so if you think your calling pikers, then maybe look to talk with people who are experienced in the market and are nice enough to have a chat.

I do residentails calls in good areas and it's great. I'll call in the mornings and afternoons  and will usually get 2-3 good prospects within an hour and a half. Most have over 500k in investable assets and are pleasant to talk with.......you'll be surprised by own many wealthy prospects are actually at home, because of a home business, got a cold, just retired and are starting a business, took a day of.....whatever....it's really interesting and usually they will have a chat and if you have a decent offering, they will meet. Maybe, just so you don't feel as though it's all uphill, pick a few decent zip codes in your area and give it 10 hours of calls  to change the tempo and get some meetings. I tend to call within 15 minutes drive to my office and it works great. As for doctors....yeah...it's hard to get them on the phone, but business owners and CFO's....they take calls.....CFO's are great.......they know numbers and it's part of their job to keep their ears open as to what is new in the market.......

Whatever you do....don't get down because of a crappy day or so......look closly at who you are calling......and if it's a good list.....great...if not.....same plan....diffrent sheets....but 400-500 a day will put you in the top of this profession regardless of who you call, what you say and what they say....just because.......there's a LAW of averages and you are stacking the deck in your favor.......

Oct 3, 2011 11:10 pm

Chop chop chopping wood..ok day today...really did not want to go in but what choice is there?  Had a few good follow up conversations that moved a couple people closer.  Did not close but are def qualified and willing to talk more and do business in the future.  Outside of that more of the same.  Not any really good conversations on first calls and low contact ratio..going to keep plugging away..

Dials:447

Contacts:49

Prospects:3

Oct 4, 2011 5:38 pm

Nice work LS, very impressive numbers

Is there a script or a few lines that you like using that seem to get peoples attention. Is it basically just

Hello Mr. Prospect, the reason for my call is I have inventory of __ state municipal bonds yielding about x%, and I was wondering if you currently invest in municipal bonds?

Oct 4, 2011 6:16 pm

hey long shot I'm a new broker with a firm that specializes in Munis.  I've been paying lots of attention to your diligent work ethic and think you've got what it takes to succeed in this business. 

My typical script is this:  Hi this is ____ with ____, I wanted to give you a quick call to see if you might have an interest in a __% tax free bond.  Do you look at tax free bonds from time to time? 

Does anyone see anywhere that I can improve on my pitch?

Oct 5, 2011 1:09 am

What a world and what a business we are in.  It is amazing how one good day can erase any number of crap and get you excited about life and business.  I was stressing over a check from a new account showing up and not getting good contacts with the dials I was making.  Like magic it all came together today.  The check showed and I was able to get another 400k on the books from the client that bought my bond..In addition he is open to getting together for more of his long term planning..Has money at a big cometitor and cash on the sidelines.  In addition looking to sell his biz.  Seems to be happy with me over the very brief time we have been speaking and will likely do more business.  Always a good reminder that the man in the mirror does in fact have what it takes...and then some...I dont know why I give that guy such a hard time....he's not a bad dude..Also got more good prospects then is usual in a day...Goofy things..cold called a guy who couldnt buy the bond now since he didnt have the liquidity but told me to call his sister in NJ who is sitting on " a sh&* ton of cash".  So I called her and we talked for a while...She liked the bond and wanted to think a little more and said to call back tomm..Took my info as well...we will see how that progresses.  My dials and contacts were lower then my goal which looks like it will be the norm on tues since I have half day meetings every week..But the sun was shining, the air was crisp, my dog was happy to greet me when I got home...good day in the life of this guy whos just swinging to stay alive and awaits a better tomm.

Dials:249

Contacts:37

Prospects:9!!

To follow up on questions about what my call is....browse bond guy on the forum..Everything I say/do/aspire to be is based on his posts..No joke when I was struggling for direction in this biz at my last firm I came across his posts and istantly became very motivated.  It is a process I believe leads to success and that I am comfortable cloning.  I call em with a tax free rate and ask if they would like some..Then shut ujp and see where the conversation goes...Not fancy, not overly professional, but simple and seems to be some what effective.  I will continue to do this until it doesnt produce.  Also alll the way, I want to personally thank you for the solid advice and encouragement you have been posting since I started this thread.  In a business with so much trash talking back and forth it is refreshing for a "competitor" to be giving guidance and positive feed back...I doubt you are posting to get back a thank you but know that it is appreciated.  Part of the reason for posting on this is for good positive feed back and ways to improve...Thats all for this guy tonight..New game in 10 hours.  Cheers!

Oct 5, 2011 2:02 am

Hey Long Shot,

Thanks for the mention, Glad to have read today's post and the succesfull outcome with 400K more under your belt. Just goes to show that chipping away every day makes things happen. Myself, I signed 425K this morning from a cold call done a month ago. It was great. I'm still  5.6M short and got to get it by Christmas so , back on the phones in the morning. I got some large corporations with who I have meetings set up and if all goes well, this would help fill the gap.

Have you noticed, there are over 2000 views of your posts. I think it means that there are a lot of brokers out there, prospecting for new business or re-buidling their books......and who are finding inspiration is following your progress. We all know that  sitting there, looking and sheets of names, dialling hundreds of times is a bit lonely.......but it seems there  are a lot of people who, daily, log on and check on what you did.......and are deep down......hoping that you stick at it and make it work.........Good for you for posting daily.....better yet.....good for you for prospeting daily. Well done to you...catch you in 24 hrs.

Oct 5, 2011 11:13 pm

Tired..not a very motivated day....phone was heavy but still got some decent results..

Dials:238

Contacts:37

Prospects:4

1 appointment set for tomm night....will qualify then set face to face...should be a good account I hope...relaxing and gettin back to it tomm...going to add a corporate directory to my calling efforts..I hope this results in a good return on investment...

Oct 6, 2011 1:14 am

http://advisorcontrol.com/how-bad-do-you-want-it/

not sure if any of you have seen this video..friend of mine shared it with m and i really liked it..its not the strongest video but the message i think is spot on..hope you all enjoy

Oct 6, 2011 11:34 pm

Hey Long Shot,

Remember I mentioned that meeting with the corporation.....well it well very well. Could put me quite a bit closer to my goal...anyways...thought I'd let you know.......came from a cold call.......very well know company and we have the products to fit their needs. Should get news by the end of next week...I really hope this goes through.....

How was your day.........???? I know you will make T-12..........I look forward to today's post.

Oct 7, 2011 12:53 am

Good to hear all the way!!!Go get em.  How did everyone elses day go? seems like a lot of good gas flowing through the air today..buddy of mine got some very promising news on a lucrative biz deal that is going to change his life, I had a good day, and all the way is taking off...love good news..I had a weird day..I changed lists up and starting calling all the local businesses within a mile of my office..great reception! lots of good prospects that should lead to some good business.  Plus looks like I have 2 good accounts in the pipeline that I can poach from my old competitor.  Nothing against them I liked most of the brokers just fine but sweet sweet victory!called a guy and offered my bond..he asked about it..said he cant do it but his mother just had a 100k cd mature that the bank is offering a garbage rate on..opportunity a knocking..he took my info and is going to get back in touch,,,i will call monday if I dont hear from him...did not hit my dial goal but did hit my contact goal which ultimately as time goes by is likely to be more of the focus..I would like to transition more from 400+ dials and 40-50 contacts to 200-300 and 50-60 contacts..since I am using this as an accountability tool I have a new stat i am adding..follow up contacts...I need to set a more active follow up campaign and goal...I think I am going to start at 5 a day and see how the numbers play out...not 100% sure how many prospects I have that need to be actively followed up but I am going to rip through em this weekend and map it out...I do not like my firms contact management system at all which is making it more of a challenge for me..no biggie..challenges are there to be over come...so starting monday I will be posting initial contacts/follow up contacts/dials/prospects and hopefully ACCOUNTS! I will say transitioning is a PITA..lots of classes that I need to go to and long conference calls that I do not feel add much value and take away from precious precious time...that too will fade and be followed with productive time consumers like appointments!  All in all a positive day and I feel like once again I am inching slowly and slowly closer.

Dials:300

Contacts:56

Prospects:12..oh ya!

Oct 7, 2011 12:54 am

correction..accounts not being poached from old competetor but firm..

Oct 7, 2011 9:13 pm

friday friday friday...some good first calls a good follow up call..dont feel much like typeing..ducked out early and taking the dog to the park.

Dials:223

Contacts:30

Prospects:3

Oct 7, 2011 9:22 pm

Whats your difference between a contact and a prospect?  I would say a contact is someone you talked to and they showed slight interest, and a prospect showed much more interest or you set up a time to get back with them.. Is this correct?

Oct 7, 2011 11:17 pm

Yeah...it's the weekend. I took off early also. Had a bit of good luck, picked up 150K today   and it ends the week on a good note. Next week, lot's of calls, down to 5.4M by Christmas. The weather this wekend will be nice, so Bar_B-Q's, kids stuff and some planning on the prospect call back front is in order. Going to unclog the pipeline and see who is good to work with and who will be going into the longer term drip.

Well done to you Long Shot....keep on the phone during prime calling hours, you are very close to a deluge of accounts over the next couple of weeks, go in like a warrior and keep your chin up, listen and provide your prospects with what they need......and keep doing what you are doing......if yu can keep 40+ daily contacts going.....you'll be fine.......next week.......drop the Hammer.........and  have fun....one call at a time.

Catch you with you  next week....well done to you......

Oct 10, 2011 11:07 pm

So turns out Columbus day is a holiday people take off of work for...did not know...Since I worked in retail prior to this the only holidays I see as days off are easter/christmas/thanksgiving...but good to know..contact ratios were a bit lower then I would like and nothing too great on first calls..did get a prospect that is in the process of liquidating a business and asked that I call next week when his mind is more clear..not sure if it will amount to anything but he is willing to talk..gotta start somewhere..also followed up with a few prospects from my list i created over the weekend...worth while exercise to say the least...the good ones actually remembered me..crazy..qualified one for a 100k bond order..should be opening the account tomm and buying the bonds..ding ding fingers crossed..and the other is working with his wife to get all of their statements together so I can see everything they have..boo ya! this one is coming from a broker at my old employer...sorry guess but I want it!  Couple pricks out in full force today but once again moved the rock a little further up the hill...

Dials:467

New Contacts:44

Repeat Contacts:4

Prospects:4

Oct 11, 2011 1:27 am

Long shot: Do you use an auto dialer tied into a contact management system? Also, how big is your list(s) and does it come scrubbed? I am thinking of starting a similar campaign and have not cold-called in many years. Great work and keep it up. Your dedication is inspiring!

Oct 11, 2011 3:03 am

[quote=wont stop]

Whats your difference between a contact and a prospect?  I would say a contact is someone you talked to and they showed slight interest, and a prospect showed much more interest or you set up a time to get back with them.. Is this correct?

[/quote]

Contacts are people you talked to. Prospects are people who have:

A defined need that THEY articulated, and

A defined, specific dollar amount ready to invest, and

A commitment to you to move forward towards a possible sale.

All three elements - need - dollar - and commitment need to be present for a true prospect to exist.

Oct 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Not the strongest day...Half day meetng in the afternoon and wholesaler in this morning so did not devote as much time as I should have for calls...Worse then that I am sure I was calling a junk part of town..Could not pronounce alot of the names and there was often a significant culteral barrier...kept calling because you never know..made some good follow up calls and still have a good size order I feel coming in this week...also found a new motivaton...guy in my class that is doing very well I do not much care for...oozes arrogance and is just an obnoxious know it all in my opinion....must pass him...not even pass but blow by to the point it is humiliating...this will be done quietly without making a fuss and just going about my business....you all here will know that is was on purpose and I am gloating inside..any way.

Dials:233

New contacts:19

Repeat Contacts:8

Prospects:0