Calll Reluctance

70 replies [Last post]
tqspygame's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-24

How do I get over this? I have a list a script, just can't pick up the phone. Any ideas...

henryhill's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-08-23

look at your bank account at zero and decide to pick up the phone.  Lift up the phone, make money.  Leave the phone down, out of business.   Seriously, it is that simple.

CALI123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-30

look at "Earning what you're worth". It helped me when I was first starting out.

And do your first call before you do anything. Even before you turn your computer on. Lots of simple mind tricks can help you over come this.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Nick Murray, Excellent Investment Advisor, Chapter about Painless Prospecting. Buy the entire book, it will be the best $50 you have ever spent.

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

Quit. Cold calling is dead. Professionals don't cold call. If you want to work in this industry, find a different way. You're trying to call people up and say, " Hi, I'm a professional, I want to help you, pay me some money". Google the definition of professional, how many have cold called you recently?

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Mishigun wrote:
Quit. Cold calling is dead. Professionals don't cold call. If you want to work in this industry, find a different way. You're trying to call people up and say, " Hi, I'm a professional, I want to help you, pay me some money". Google the definition of professional, how many have cold called you recently?
 
You rip cold calling and door knocking, so what is your strategy ?

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

Referrals through personal contact.
 
Here is #5 in the Wiki definition of a pro:
 


  1. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.)

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Right, right, right.

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

Jones is smart. They're in the business of maintaining neighborhood offices - the office itself, and the assistant (not the advisor) - are the main investment. Over time, "location" IS the brand. You go and you walk the neighborhood, saying, "the office" is at the foot of the hill. Of course, they lose money at first, and break even later. Sometimes, a hire has the right personality to make it through the mine field. Part of that requirement is overlooking #5. Sure, you can still find some nice people, even smart people who will overlook #5 as you go through time.

Here, start a career at Jones. While you're starving, blow out your 401k and use that to subsidize our advertising tie-in to the TV ads. "Take over a book", or start a new office! I forgive (smart) career changers for not understanding the economics, or establish Jones reps for enjoying the fruits, but c'mon, Jones and anyone else who cold calls and sells by commission is hurting the industry, no question.

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

The more people who believe that cold calling is dead will lead to greater success for those who do cold call.
One does not need to cold call or door knock to be successful.  Yet, I see nothing that makes one who does any of these activities unprofessional.  
Maybe successful brokers make more than most of their doctor, CPA, and attorney clients precisesly because of their willingness to cold call and do whatever it takes instead of worrying about whether it looks "professional". 
It seems like a pretty poor business decision to not do some cold walking/ cold canvassing.  Ex. I have a 4:00 meeting with a lawyer in a law firm.  I arrive 5 minutes early.  What do I have to gain by not stopping in the CPA firm across the hall and introducing myself?

Gaddock's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

tqspygame wrote:How do I get over this? I have a list a script, just can't pick up the phone. Any ideas...
It's so weird how the act of calling a random number can create fear. I call it the fear buzz.
 
IF you don't do it you will fail, simple as that. If you do it will be a hard drive but you will be OK. There is a new guy in my office. The guy is brilliant and has a masters. I've offered to call with him and he declined every time. That would have been an offer I would have jumped on big time, I knew at that point he was toast. He's failing miserably.
 
Those that poo poo cold calling don't have the balls to do it. Simple as that. If you think it's not professional, I defy you to give me a list of your clients, your AUM will fall like the market in November.
 
Here is how you start out to sharpen your knife. Find the nearest ghetto and the street in it out of the Polk's directory that you will have at your office. THEY WILL NEVER BE YOUR CLIENT so it makes absolutely no diff that you call them. You can have a lot of fun with this FYI, I did. Don't take no for and answer overcome every single thing they toss your way until they agree. They Will never show up but it will get you started.
 
GET ON THE PHONE!!!!
 
Only two things will happen, they will sell you a no or you will sell them a yes.

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

anonymous wrote:
The more people who believe that cold calling is dead will lead to greater success for those who do cold call.
One does not need to cold call or door knock to be successful.  Yet, I see nothing that makes one who does any of these activities unprofessional.  
Maybe successful brokers make more than most of their doctor, CPA, and attorney clients precisesly because of their willingness to cold call and do whatever it takes instead of worrying about whether it looks "professional". 
It seems like a pretty poor business decision to not do some cold walking/ cold canvassing.  Ex. I have a 4:00 meeting with a lawyer in a law firm.  I arrive 5 minutes early.  What do I have to gain by not stopping in the CPA firm across the hall and introducing myself?
 
Absurd. We could laugh about this in person. Role play: Mish cold calls Anon while he's eating dinner. Later, Mish shows up at knocking at the door.
 
Your second point is the "myth". That somehow "brokers" who didn't go to college or barely graduated can be as successful as doctors, who strap into the pilot seat of a jetliner.
 
Even lawyers wait for people to come to them. Dead meat floats down the creek, and they come out of their hole with their pinchers and hook onto it.
 
I think your brand of cold calling is more like referral marketing. ( At work, daylight hours, you earned the right to introduce yourself.)
 
Please don't confuse the two. Jones is doing our industry no favors with their brand of door knocking.

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

And yes, advisors can be more successful and a happier than doctors, if they act like professionals. I'm not going to be spending a lot of time trying to convice anyone here. " How do you feel when you're door knocking ?" If you feel unprofessional, you probably are.

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-21

Mishigun wrote:And yes, advisors can be more successful and a happier than doctors, if they act like professionals. I'm not going to be spending a lot of time trying to convice anyone here. " How do you feel when you're door knocking ?" If you feel unprofessional, you probably are.
 
Unprofessional? I just had an appointment with a business owner that I cold called and he is closing on this govt contract that will net him $5million in the next couple of months.  Also, I'm working on a bond ladder for his current holdings and oh yeah, he's going to introduce me to his 54 independent contractors that I can pitch as well.  Cold calling sucks huh? I was in Iraq buddy . . . Getting shot at sucks

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

Good for you, buddy. Thanks for serving in Iraq. Guess you feel professional now, ain't it a great country.

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-21

Mishigun wrote:Good for you, buddy. Thanks for serving in Iraq. Guess you feel professional now, ain't it a great country.
 
Are you saying that serving in the military isn't professional?

Gaddock's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

I feel very professional and my production is proof. Not sure why Mish is such a bitter little man but who cares about him. If he's a noob he wont be around long. If he's a vet WTF is he doing posting on this thread with his negative bitter tirades.
 
Run from negativity like it's the plague

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

Now that you're a cold calling financial advisor, you must feel professional, because cold calling doesn't bother you. "Call reluctance" is good instincts.

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

Gaddock, you're sounding a bit negative, dude.

Gaddock's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

"dude"? Now that's professional

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-21

Gaddock wrote:"dude"? Now that's professional
 
LOL, good one Gaddock.
 
Mishigun, I understand where you're coming from but when you're a rookie in this business, networking is ONE of the many ways to make clients but the fastest way to speak to people is picking up the phone.  Great for you that your business is at the point that you do not have to do that but us rookies need to and there is nothing wrong with it.  Before I pick up the phone, I know that if I can get in front of someone, they're going to be better off than if I hadn't called them and that's what drives me.  Kind of crazy but I have fun cold calling . . .

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

You made it personal. That's an easy way out, Gaddock. I don't care about you, but saying that your production is proof of your professionalism is kind of like saying that your swagger proves you have a big d***. I don't need to know. Do whatever you want, some of us were talking about the big picture, not the little weenie.

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

You know what Army? I respect you, and I started my biz the same way, and I had fun and was one of the best. Of course, at some point, most get burned out, liked cooked, on cold calling. What I was talking about before is more like, "isn't it a shame that the training firms, like Jones, don't take some of their profits and invest in a way that makes all of us more professional, and more successful (instead of starting a brokers union, as was mentioned somewhere here) - a lot of people need our help, and we still approach them like we're selling pots and pans.
 
I really appreciate you literally taking a shot for America, I believe history judge America as having been courageous and smart, but you are one of the guys who walked the talk. Enjoy what you're doing now, I did.

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Mishigun, you are my hero.  Will you train me?

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

army13A wrote: Mishigun wrote:And yes, advisors can be more successful and a happier than doctors, if they act like professionals. I'm not going to be spending a lot of time trying to convice anyone here. " How do you feel when you're door knocking ?" If you feel unprofessional, you probably are.
 
Unprofessional? I just had an appointment with a business owner that I cold called and he is closing on this govt contract that will net him $5million in the next couple of months.  Also, I'm working on a bond ladder for his current holdings and oh yeah, he's going to introduce me to his 54 independent contractors that I can pitch as well.  Cold calling sucks huh? I was in Iraq buddy . . . Getting shot at sucks

Getting shot at is not bad. Getting shot is.

I'm gonna go ahead and bust your balls a little bit because it's fun for me. I don't really know your situation while you were over there.

But - How does an artillery guy get shot at from behind the FOB:)?

Just messing around.

I have to agree with Mishigun though. Doorknocking looks like crap, especially in the summer months. The problem is that this is the way the industry has worked for so long Mishigun, you are not going to change these guys' minds. And they aren't going to change yours.

I built my business doing a number of things - never got any clients from doorknocking, but from some cold calling - sure did. Some of them are decent clients. My best clients came from referrals though.

Gaddock's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

Mishigun wrote:You know what Army? I respect you, and I started my biz the same way, and I had fun and was one of the best.
 
Ahh so you did it cold calling, and ahh you were "one of the best" eyy? and had fun.
 
But we, starting out the same way, are dragging down the professionalism of the industry.
 
But now it's above you and oh so unpro you have to come here and vent?
 
What's good for the goose is good for the gander yes?
 

 
Why not help these guys out rather than insult them?? It was you that made it personal.

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

I went years without doing anything cold....no coldwalking and no cold calling.
 
I have found that I have become more successful now that I don't avoid doing things cold.   I'm certainly not any less professional now than I was then. 
 
I'm just really having a difficult time understanding how my professionalism is impacted by my prospecting methods. 
 
Does my professionalism change when I get business because someone calls me?
Does my professionalism change when I get business because I call a referral?
Does my professionalism change when I call someone who I met at the little league game?
Does my professionalism change when I do a seminar?
Does my professionalism change when I call someone without a referral?
Does my professionalism change when I walk into an office between appointments?
 

CALI123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-30

About 5 years in, I decided I had called enough. I bought into all the "never cold call again" books and seminar packages. Wasted a ton of money, Yes, I did get some clients from it. But dollar for dollar, it is easier and cheaper to pick up the phone.
At the end of the day this is still a sales job, no matter what you call it.

Mishigun's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-16

Gaddock wrote:Mishigun wrote:You know what Army? I respect you, and I started my biz the same way, and I had fun and was one of the best.
 
Ahh so you did it cold calling, and ahh you were "one of the best" eyy? and had fun.
 
But we, starting out the same way, are dragging down the professionalism of the industry.
 
But now it's above you and oh so unpro you have to come here and vent?
 
What's good for the goose is good for the gander yes?
 

 
Why not help these guys out rather than insult them?? It was you that made it personal.
 
It's absolutely not my intention to insult anyone for cold calling. If you make a commitment to this industry, you should not be used by others who would profit from your labor. If a lawyer, or a doctor, or dentist, make the commitment to get educated and get set up, they naturally get some business, and the good ones get more referrals. In our highly regulated industry, the rules are dictated from the top down - things have been structured in a way to take advantage of us.
 
Part of that top-down dictation means, a training firm will unleash a  trainee out into the market place, a they like to give the public the impression that "brokers" or "planners" are commodities. The ultimate expression of the degrading of financial professionals is condoning or expecting the practice of cold calling.
 
At this point, instead of forming a union, the way we can take control - and get people to come to us - is to cut out the middle men, and that will happen by being honest and clear about costs, to the client, for the first time. No one will mind paying you well - if you're bright, diligent and experienced. We have to bring new people in by mentoring, and that will help the "experience" factor, which is critical. A down market has been accelerating the destruction of bad practices, and we'll emerge stronger.

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-21

Mishigun wrote:You know what Army? I respect you, and I started my biz the same way, and I had fun and was one of the best. Of course, at some point, most get burned out, liked cooked, on cold calling. What I was talking about before is more like, "isn't it a shame that the training firms, like Jones, don't take some of their profits and invest in a way that makes all of us more professional, and more successful (instead of starting a brokers union, as was mentioned somewhere here) - a lot of people need our help, and we still approach them like we're selling pots and pans.
 
I really appreciate you literally taking a shot for America, I believe history judge America as having been courageous and smart, but you are one of the guys who walked the talk. Enjoy what you're doing now, I did. Seriously, thanks for the kind words.  And you're absolutely right that firms don't spend more money on building this profession as a respectable profession.  We do awesome work where we help people send their kids to college, retire comfortably and protect against financial risks yet you have the media and government telling people to avoid financial professionals and firms don't fight back enough.  I totally understand where you're coming from but I can either a) wait for the firms to "get it" or b) make it happen on my own.  I'm hungry right now and have mouths to feed and I don't have the luxury of time to wait for it to happen.  Ultimately, when I make enough clients and I'm getting more referrals than I know how to handle, I won't have to cold call anymore.  But until then, I'm dialing for dollars . . .

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-21

Moraen wrote: army13A wrote: Mishigun wrote:And yes, advisors can be more successful and a happier than doctors, if they act like professionals. I'm not going to be spending a lot of time trying to convice anyone here. " How do you feel when you're door knocking ?" If you feel unprofessional, you probably are.
 
Unprofessional? I just had an appointment with a business owner that I cold called and he is closing on this govt contract that will net him $5million in the next couple of months.  Also, I'm working on a bond ladder for his current holdings and oh yeah, he's going to introduce me to his 54 independent contractors that I can pitch as well.  Cold calling sucks huh? I was in Iraq buddy . . . Getting shot at sucks

Getting shot at is not bad. Getting shot is.

I'm gonna go ahead and bust your balls a little bit because it's fun for me. I don't really know your situation while you were over there.

But - How does an artillery guy get shot at from behind the FOB:)?

Just messing around.

I have to agree with Mishigun though. Doorknocking looks like crap, especially in the summer months. The problem is that this is the way the industry has worked for so long Mishigun, you are not going to change these guys' minds. And they aren't going to change yours.

I built my business doing a number of things - never got any clients from doorknocking, but from some cold calling - sure did. Some of them are decent clients. My best clients came from referrals though.I see you know the military MOS codes and acronyms.  I'm assuming you're prior service? In Iraq, all combat arms become Infantry.  Our big guns were parked and tucked away in a nice secure environment and we were told to conduct dismounted and mounted patrols in Baghdad.  I wanted to be Artillery but became Infantry in real world situation, go figure. 

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

11B - eight years. Was in Iraq from Dec. 2003 - Jan. 2005.

That's true - I know an Air Force guy that got drafted to go on convoys - that's got to suck.

Should have gone Satellite Intel - could have been sippin' margaritas down at CENTCOM for my deployment.

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-21

Moraen wrote:11B - eight years. Was in Iraq from Dec. 2003 - Jan. 2005.

That's true - I know an Air Force guy that got drafted to go on convoys - that's got to suck.

Should have gone Satellite Intel - could have been sippin' margaritas down at CENTCOM for my deployment.Hooah! Our time in Iraq was overlapped; I was there from May 2003-July 2004.  Airforce doing convoy? You know he was hating life.  My cousin was a 1LT in the AF and he never left Boston during his entire stint; wore his nice Class A's every day.  In hindsight, should have gone AF b/c they had all the nice stuff down range.  I don't see too many Vets in our line of business; good to know I have a fellow Vet on these boards. 

Takingnames's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-11-09

Hey TQ - looks like a lot of opinions are popping up on this one.
 
There is no simpler, cheaper, nor easier way to learn how to pitch, dodge and weave than
cold calling. None. It works, it's not easy, it will thicken your skin and help you build your book in ways you don't know. You'll BUILD a network cold calling. Cold calling is networking with a phone.  You go networking and some people don't take your card or want your services or walk away from you.
 
When cold calling, the lady who tells she works for a non profit housing agency... the one that tells you she has no money - but she makes a living counseling people with bad  situations....you can refer her to the guy you hit having a bad time with his mortgage and about to hit the skids. 
 
Goodwill connection created, they will remember you and you will get referrals from places you never expected. It happens all the time to me.
 
I worked with one person - who failed out in a blaze of their own making - who believed they were master networkers. They drove HOURS to go to events. Spent DAYS strategizing about who to talk to at events. SPENT money hand over fist trying to get into the "best networks".
 
Me? I cold called. Don't spend a lot of time traveling, etc. I just made the calls. Day in, day out. One day, I was excited about a big account I'd opened on a cold call. The origination was a cold call and then I dripped back around, around, around. The person's comment? Not "Nice work" or "way to go" or "hey - that works for you" It was "Oh, anyone can get lucky once in a while cold calling" . It's not luck. It's persistance, and process.
 
 
You don't ever get better at cold calling - you just learn to suck less. The post about the guy failing with a masters degree that I think Gaddock made - damned right. I just watched people let go in a firm that did layoffs. People ahead of me were let go, people behind me were let go. To the left and to the right.
 
Not me. Why not? Assets coming in all the time. Pipeline steady and always replenished. New meetings, new connections all the time. How? Cold call. Yes, I network, seminar and support several non profits by serving on boards. Hands down, though,  cold calling is the single most profitable activity I do.
 
  
 
 

B24's picture
B24
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08

Names,
What are some of your typical pitches that get people interested?  Everytime I try cold-calling, I can't seem to find the right words, the right pitch, etc.  I know it's my own avoidance behavior (looking for the "perfect" pitch), but I have to approach it with a pitch I "believe" in, or I can't put 100% into it.

kitcap's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-04-02

The only way to get over the reluctance is to do it, over and over again... repetition will gradually make it a more and more comfortable task. Call it unprofessional if you will, but that being said, it is a unprofessional act which works extremely well... BTW, so does door knocking, another supposedly unprofessional act....I wouldn't suggest to getting wrapped up in what makes you a professional or not, especially if that definition is coming from Wikipedia... professionalism is what you make it.. I know people who shine shoes who are professionals. And to be totally honest, if it paid as well as this career does, I would have no problem pumping gas. I would just strive to be the best damn gas pumper there is...

Spaceman Spiff's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-08

Mishigun wrote:
Please don't confuse the two. Jones is doing our industry no favors with their brand of door knocking.
 
So, is it professional for me as a Jones FA, to walk into a business and try to make a personal contact with the business owner I haven't yet met?  Or should I call him on the phone and ask his secretary if I can talk with him?  What about if the person runs his business out of his home?  How do I handle that?   
 
I get it that you don't care for the Jones model, investments, commissions, etc, but to say that Jones is hurting the industry because our guys get off their butts and walk down a street is just retarded.  I know Morean says he never got any clients from doorknocking.  That tells me he either sucked at it or didn't give it a fair shot.  You go out and introduce yourself to 25 people a day for months at a time, call them, ask them to buy something or to meet with you and something will come out of it.  
 
I used to hear all the time that doorknocking wouldn't work for some stupid reason or another.  What it usually boiled down to was that whoever was doing the doorknocking wasn't doing some part of the process.  Either they weren't making the follow up phone calls or they went doorknocking a couple of times, nobody threw money at them, so they quit and said it doesn't work.  I don't know that I ever found a single instance where someone was following the "recipe" and not having any success. 
 
 

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-21

Like everyone else said, you just have TO DO IT.  Doesn't matter if you suck or are an expert, just pick up the freaking phone.  What's the worse that can happen? They hang up on you? Who gives a crap? Screw them and move on.  I made 3 appointments today so far . . . Getting back on the phones. 

jkl1v1n6's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-06

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Mishigun wrote:
Please don't confuse the two. Jones is doing our industry no favors with their brand of door knocking.
 
So, is it professional for me as a Jones FA, to walk into a business and try to make a personal contact with the business owner I haven't yet met?  Or should I call him on the phone and ask his secretary if I can talk with him?  What about if the person runs his business out of his home?  How do I handle that?   
 
I get it that you don't care for the Jones model, investments, commissions, etc, but to say that Jones is hurting the industry because our guys get off their butts and walk down a street is just retarded.  I know Morean says he never got any clients from doorknocking.  That tells me he either sucked at it or didn't give it a fair shot.  You go out and introduce yourself to 25 people a day for months at a time, call them, ask them to buy something or to meet with you and something will come out of it.  
 
I used to hear all the time that doorknocking wouldn't work for some stupid reason or another.  What it usually boiled down to was that whoever was doing the doorknocking wasn't doing some part of the process.  Either they weren't making the follow up phone calls or they went doorknocking a couple of times, nobody threw money at them, so they quit and said it doesn't work.  I don't know that I ever found a single instance where someone was following the "recipe" and not having any success. 
 
 
 
Not here to say that doorknocking or cold calling doesn't work.  Not here to say what is and is not professional.  I will say that when I was doorknocking I didn't feel professional.  I was a door to door salesman peddling my wares.  Yes I got many clients from it.  Truth be told the only time I feel professional in this business is when I am sitting down with clients and solving their problems.  There's only one way to get to that point though, networking.  Networking through traditional or non-traditional means, no matter what you do, it is all networking to me, cold-calling, door-knocking, seminars, COI, Rotary,etc...
 
army as for vets as advisors, more than you think.  BM3, U.S. Navy.

Takingnames's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-11-09

B24
I call on several "campaigns" if you will and have different scripts for each.
Campaigns are process or service (Planning/portfolio review/retirement plan review) or product (Annuity review/bond offering)
 
Examples.
"Hi Mrs. Jones, this is Takingnames from Broker Dealer.  I work with people on financial planning and wealth management. I Pause for a second. Then I ask. Do you have a few moments now to discuss your investments (in annuities, stock market, bond market) whatever I think might appeal to the demographic I'm calling.
If yes, then great - qualify by asking if they have 100k or more and take it from there. If not, I'll go for appointment. If they waffle or say they are all set - I ask what they mean by all set - ie - When you say you are all set, is that because you are already working with an advisor? Then I might ask them to describe what they use, etc.
Anyone who I can't close on an appointment I ask for an e-mail address so I can send more information and I tell them I will send a card, as well.
 
If I see a great bond, or can run a sample generic bond ladder off with a good yield, I'll run on it.
Mrs. Jones, if I could offer you an 5.5% return is that something you would be interested in.
 
Then I send them the generic bond ladder proposal or bond detail and let them know I'll look for other ideas like that for them.
 
So for other scripts, I have leading questions like: 

 
Will you come in to my office for a complmentary portfolio review?
Will you join me and a small group of people for an after market seminar on strategies to recover from losses in this market.
Are you ever interested in attending educational seminars?
 
I am calling to introduce myself and learn if you have an interest in any of our cash management products.
I am calling to offer a fiduciary review of your 401k plan as an independent third party.
I calling to invite you to a lunch and learn seminar on how different types of retirement plans might benefit your company.
 
The most critical part of cold calling, however, from my view - is not even what you say - but HOW you say it. I take great pains to match the tempo, force and attitude that people pick up the phone with.  That's is the art. The script is just a shell.
 
I also take a lot of time if someone says...I'm already retired and I'm all set. I don't try and get off the phone with them...I ask what kind of work they retired from and if they loved what they did. More often than not, they'll spend 5 or 10 minutes telling you about an amazing career, or some interesting things they have done. Take good notes and TALK with them about that. Reference detail from this conversation in every single correspondence and they will be your client in no time.
 
 
Check your inbox.
Kicking and Taking.
 
 

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-21

 
 
 
 
 
 
army as for vets as advisors, more than you think.  BM3, U.S. Navy.
 
Nice, even though Navy kicks Army's rear end in football every year!! I'm not mad! :)

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Mishigun wrote:
Please don't confuse the two. Jones is doing our industry no favors with their brand of door knocking.
 
So, is it professional for me as a Jones FA, to walk into a business and try to make a personal contact with the business owner I haven't yet met?  Or should I call him on the phone and ask his secretary if I can talk with him?  What about if the person runs his business out of his home?  How do I handle that?   
 
I get it that you don't care for the Jones model, investments, commissions, etc, but to say that Jones is hurting the industry because our guys get off their butts and walk down a street is just retarded.  I know Morean says he never got any clients from doorknocking.  That tells me he either sucked at it or didn't give it a fair shot.  You go out and introduce yourself to 25 people a day for months at a time, call them, ask them to buy something or to meet with you and something will come out of it.  
 
I used to hear all the time that doorknocking wouldn't work for some stupid reason or another.  What it usually boiled down to was that whoever was doing the doorknocking wasn't doing some part of the process.  Either they weren't making the follow up phone calls or they went doorknocking a couple of times, nobody threw money at them, so they quit and said it doesn't work.  I don't know that I ever found a single instance where someone was following the "recipe" and not having any success. 
 
 
 
It's likely a little bit of both.  I got all of the right feedback from my ATL's, who said I would be very successful doorknocking, but I personally think I wasn't very good at it.  And I'm not going to spend months doing something when I have to make some money in order to go to PDP. 
 
I'm not saying it doesn't work.  I've seen guys get $6mil accounts from it.  Once again, just not for me.
 
And for the record, I don't think Jones is hurting the industry by dking, I think they are getting the clients their model is set up to obtain.  $6mil clients are the exception, not the rule at Jones.

tqspygame's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-24

Those of you calling residential.. do you have a decrease in contacts from 1pm-4pm... I find I do real well in the morning but terrible in the afternoon..

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

tqspygame wrote:Those of you calling residential.. do you have a decrease in contacts from 1pm-4pm... I find I do real well in the morning but terrible in the afternoon..
 
That's because all the folks you would reach at home at that time are taking their afternoon nap from their heavy lunch.

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

Just keep calling... Then call those people who didn't answer tomorrow or saturday morning..

tqspygame's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-24

Good evening call times? (to avoid interupting dinner)?

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

You will always interrupt somebody to talk about something EVERY time you call REGARDLESS of what you're calling about.

Takingnames's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-11-09

Ominous wrote:You will always interrupt somebody to talk about something EVERY time you call REGARDLESS of what you're calling about.
 
 
TQ - Om is right.  You need to just get on the horn.  Stop bellyaching and just do it.
The more time you spend telling us how hard it is, or asking about the best time (or script, or product - etc) is one more moment you are not making the outward facing call.
Kicking

mojo99's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-22

The first day, I sat at my desk, turned off my computer, and stared at the phone until I picked it up and dialed. Two hours, seven dials, one contact.

Next day, same thing. Turned everything off, stared at the phone. Two hours, 30 dials, 2 contacts.

Next day, did it again. Stared at the phone. Two hours, 50 dials, 7 contacts.

I just blocked the time out, told myself I couldn't do anything else until I made the calls. It's routine now, and while I still don't really like it, I know that doing it adds to the bottom line. With everything, the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Some of my favorite and best clients were the result of cold calls. Don't buy into the crap about cold calling not working, it does. You just have to do it. A lot. Besides, if you want to meet someone, picking up the phone and placing a call is a pretty simple act. Just be yourself and don't try and sell them something.

Your brain will always take you to the worst place. What you imagine happening on a cold call never will. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you realize this.

chief123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-28

I did something similar.. I wouldn't turn on my computer til I made 50 dials... First couple of days I sat there for a while, but eventually it became like clockwork...

3rd ID's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-30

No one wants to be cold called. Particularly about investing. Would you?? Its a pain in the ass. Its a nuisance and my opinion of anyone cold calling me is they are desperate and need me way more than I need them. Its an absolute waste of an FA's time. If your a rookie, go at it. At least you may learn about your product that you are peddling. 

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×