Back on the Phone

83 replies [Last post]
snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

Is it just me or does it seem like everyone is satisfied with their investments and investment professionals?
I call on corporate directories and no one wants to take the time to think about their investments.
I call off the business owner list and they don't take the calls.
What the hell happened to the good ol' days of phone solicitations?
Everyone seems to think us financial professionals all do the same thing with their money. 
I'm not taking it personal, but do people realize how f'd they are when they decide to retire?  They're not saving, they're not getting the growth they need, and then they take out too much money in retirement.  Anyone want to go into the business of building nursing homes ONE step up from the county run facilities (the poor house) with me?  I know there will be a huge demand for that.
Ahhhh, the pain of cold calling again

blarmston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-26

The most important thing is activity. Even though you may not be closing on getting a meeting, what you are doing is developing that relationship. I have had a dozen conversations with C-level Exec's and never had one meeting. Of late, I have been recommending that we get together and review their strategies ("markets at all time highs, risk management, etc, etc) and 97% of the time- "not interested, my advisor is doing well", blah blah...
Not predicting doom and gloom, but if the markets were to correct at some point, you have positioned yourself as someone they can reach out to. At that point, the heavy lifting has been done on your part. You have shown you are persistent, have good follow-up, are coming to them with ideas, and are willing to help them via a second opinion, etc.
You will get these meetings and if you convey value and perhaps another strategy- you will get the ACAT's...

vbrainy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-26

Thank goodness that there are still good people here like Blarmstorm.  Listen, you got to say something motivating.  I hate to say it, but sell to fears.  Get them out of their chair.
They NEED YOU.  Talk that way and you will get them.
But, I agree, cold calling stinks.  Anybody who says different is LYING. 

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

Thank you both Blarm and V to the brain.  I just needed to vent.  I am glad to hear you are getting the same response Blarm, so I know it's not just me.
I guess prospecting can be like trying to pick up a girl.  They always go for the a**hole.  I will stop being such a nice guy and just be a d*ck!

blarmston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-26

Dont change who you are or how you prospect. Its simply a numbers game, followed by persistence and being there when the time comes...
 
 
 

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

Blarm, what do you figure to be your ratios as of late?
On 100 dials, I will generally have 25 contacts.  Of that, I'll get maybe 5 to request information or that will allow me to call them back.  Of that 5, maybe 1 is a worth while prospect.
Of course they all get put into the system and are dripped on anywhere from 30-90 days.

no idea's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-11-15

Excellent posts blarm.
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

blarmston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-26

Its all a crapshoot, but my numbers are within those ranges...
Of course they all get put into the system and are dripped on anywhere from 30-90 days.
I would suggest that for qualified prospects you NEVER stop drip'ping on them. It may be overkill, but I truly believe in the power of persistence and 'wearing down' a prospect...

shadow191's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-25

As Blarm says, definitely drip on them longer than 90 days.  I usually will keep following up until they become clients or I determine that they're never going to become a client.  After a while you realize that some people will never sign up no matter how much you persist.  But until you reach that point, keep following up.  Recently I decided to give a follow up call to someone I made initial contact with last October.  It turns out he just sold a small business and now wants to talk; right place, right time.  That's all it is.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

snaggletooth wrote:
Blarm, what do you figure to be your ratios as of late?
On 100 dials, I will generally have 25 contacts.  Of that, I'll get maybe 5 to request information or that will allow me to call them back.  Of that 5, maybe 1 is a worth while prospect.
Of course they all get put into the system and are dripped on anywhere from 30-90 days.

Dude...what are you doing? 25 contacts and NO appointments? ARe you taking "no" for an answer? f**k those five who want information. If the really WANT it, they'll schedule an appt with you.
Noone's got any balls anymore.

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

Bobby Hull wrote:snaggletooth wrote:
Blarm, what do you figure to be your ratios as of late?
On 100 dials, I will generally have 25 contacts.  Of that, I'll get maybe 5 to request information or that will allow me to call them back.  Of that 5, maybe 1 is a worth while prospect.
Of course they all get put into the system and are dripped on anywhere from 30-90 days.

Dude...what are you doing? 25 contacts and NO appointments? ARe you taking "no" for an answer? f**k those five who want information. If the really WANT it, they'll schedule an appt with you.
Noone's got any balls anymore.

I don't know.  Obviously not enough.  What might you say to get them to WANT it?

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

snaggletooth wrote:Bobby Hull wrote:snaggletooth wrote:
Blarm, what do you figure to be your ratios as of late?
On 100 dials, I will generally have 25 contacts.  Of that, I'll get maybe 5 to request information or that will allow me to call them back.  Of that 5, maybe 1 is a worth while prospect.
Of course they all get put into the system and are dripped on anywhere from 30-90 days.

Dude...what are you doing? 25 contacts and NO appointments? ARe you taking "no" for an answer? f**k those five who want information. If the really WANT it, they'll schedule an appt with you.
Noone's got any balls anymore.

I don't know.  Obviously not enough.  What might you say to get them to WANT it?

Go for the throat and try for the appointment. If they ask you to send something tell them that you've NEVER done business with anyone that you've sent information to and ask them what you could possibly send them that will make them call you back and say "Snaggletooth, get your ass over here, right now! I need to buy that thing that you sent me the info about."

doberman's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-22

Bobby Hull wrote:
Go for the throat and try for the appointment. If they ask you to send something tell them that you've NEVER done business with anyone that you've sent information to and ask them what you could possibly send them that will make them call you back and say "Snaggletooth, get your ass over here, right now! I need to buy that thing that you sent me the info about."

 

age7877's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-02

Just started dialing again after a very long time of not doing it.
In the past it worked well but for some reason (probably cause it sucks) I stopped.
Today I started (with a list scrubbed against the DNC) and 15% of the dials answered. I hit a few ladies and got discouraged. In the past I  pitched an icome idea (local utility preferred at 8% +).  I'm dialing residential prospects from the coles directory.
Question: I'm not convinced this works anymore with the DNC list and caller ID. Can someone kick me in the ass? I'll post the stats for assitance.
Thanks
 
 
 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

age7877 wrote:
Just started dialing again after a very long time of not doing it.
In the past it worked well but for some reason (probably cause it sucks) I stopped.
Today I started (with a list scrubbed against the DNC) and 15% of the dials answered. I hit a few ladies and got discouraged. In the past I  pitched an icome idea (local utility preferred at 8% +).  I'm dialing residential prospects from the coles directory.
Question: I'm not convinced this works anymore with the DNC list and caller ID. Can someone kick me in the ass? I'll post the stats for assitance.
Thanks
 
 
 

Just start calling away and forget about the DNC list. If anyone says anything just apologize, remind them of the fact that you can count on the government to make a lot mistakes with something like this, and promise you'll never call them again.

Dust Bunny's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-07

doberman wrote:Bobby Hull wrote:
Go for the throat and try for the appointment. If they ask you to send something tell them that you've NEVER done business with anyone that you've sent information to and ask them what you could possibly send them that will make them call you back and say "Snaggletooth, get your ass over here, right now! I need to buy that thing that you sent me the info about."

 

True enough.... or to be nicer about it.  I explain that it is so very  difficult to talk about all this financial stuff over the phone  (doncha think?) and it would be so much nicer if we could meet and "visit" with each other face to face.   After all "I would feel so much more comfortable if I were to be able to look you in the eyes.... wouldn't you?  Plus all this stuff is pretty complicated so it would be sooooo much better to meet together so I can give you this information.  It is much to difficult to try to explain this over the phone.  When is a good time for you????"  press press press ... shuck and jive
Of course, I'm just a fluffy widdle lady bunny.... no threat here.   Velvet glove treatment.

Chris Hansen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-22

Bobby Hull wrote:age7877 wrote:
Just started dialing again after a very long time of not doing it.
In the past it worked well but for some reason (probably cause it sucks) I stopped.
Today I started (with a list scrubbed against the DNC) and 15% of the dials answered. I hit a few ladies and got discouraged. In the past I  pitched an icome idea (local utility preferred at 8% +).  I'm dialing residential prospects from the coles directory.
Question: I'm not convinced this works anymore with the DNC list and caller ID. Can someone kick me in the ass? I'll post the stats for assitance.
Thanks
 
 
 

Just start calling away and forget about the DNC list. If anyone says anything just apologize, remind them of the fact that you can count on the government to make a lot mistakes with something like this, and promise you'll never call them again.

LOL - That is golden. I will use that. When all else fails, blame The Man!!!11

bondo's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-04-15

If you are calling on an investment idea and they ask you to send the information just ask them: "Okay, so let's say I have sent you the info and you love the idea.  What happens next?"  You find out they will either meet with you at some point (push for the meeting now) or they will steal the idea and go to their current broker (tell them to pound salt).
I had a lady ask me the name of the product I was calling on yesterday after she asked all the specifics.  I laughed at her.  She admitted she just wanted the name so she could check it out herself and has no desire to work with a broker, at this point. 

shadow191's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-25

Calling residences, that's about the number of dials I get answered also.  I still call mostly residences though; I've dialed a lot of business owners and it takes too much time to get put on hold by the gatekeeper, then when the owner picks up, they're busy and don't have time to listen.  I still call them early morning and late afternoon, they're a bit more available then. 
Cold calling is a frustrating/mind numbing thing no matter how you put it.  But the thing is, if you do it enough times, it does work.  Lately I had slacked off the calling a bit because I was out on meetings a lot, and doing a lot of networking in the evenings.  But a few weeks back, I started pounding the phones again in my slack time at the office, and sure enough, I got appointments and it looks like I'm about to close a $1mm prospect and a couple of smaller accounts.  Stuff like that is what keeps me calling.
 
 
 
age7877 wrote:
Just started dialing again after a very long time of not doing it.
In the past it worked well but for some reason (probably cause it sucks) I stopped.
Today I started (with a list scrubbed against the DNC) and 15% of the dials answered. I hit a few ladies and got discouraged. In the past I  pitched an icome idea (local utility preferred at 8% +).  I'm dialing residential prospects from the coles directory.
Question: I'm not convinced this works anymore with the DNC list and caller ID. Can someone kick me in the ass? I'll post the stats for assitance.
Thanks
 
 
 

Analyst's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-12

Prospecting really does seem like meeting women, and Bobby Hull's approach reminds me of advice my brother gave me when I had about a 0.00 batting average with them (okay, it was exactly a 0.00 average, there was no about involved).
He said not to be an a**hole when talking to women, but contrary to popular belief, it's about overconfidence, not just confidence. 
When I took his advice my average went way up.
I still remember when he gained about 40 lbs one year, and wasn't looking his best, and still met this beautiful girl when we went out.  I also remember one of the ridiculous things he said to her, but he did it with overconfidence and she laughed.  He told her, "I'm the coolest fat guy you'll ever meet".  He kept going with goofy things like, "I maybe fat, but the rest of the guys in this place are ugly.  I can diet."
I didn't know it at the time, but maybe I was getting a lesson in prospecting.
 
 
 

Vin Diesel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-04-18

call with a specific product. people are busier than ever and don't want general info. get to the point quickly. stand-up when you're calling...motion creates emotion

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

I've found that people I call from corporate directories are into growth ideas. 
Anyone use individual stocks as the product when calling?  Or is it more of a mutual fund, UIT, preferred, closed end fund idea?
 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

snaggletooth wrote:
I've found that people I call from corporate directories are into growth ideas. 
Anyone use individual stocks as the product when calling?  Or is it more of a mutual fund, UIT, preferred, closed end fund idea?
 

dont do stocks. do a UIT with a high track record and use the closing date as a way to apply some urgency or use the opening date, so they can get in at the "IPO price."

blarmston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-26

Good advice... Or use a closed -end fund that is IPO'ing. Like Hull said, pitch something that has a sense of urgency... Blast to a targeted market (i.e corporate real estate developers or exec's on a Global Reit CEF IPO) and you may open a couple good accounts...

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

blarmston wrote:Good advice... Or use a closed -end fund that is IPO'ing. Like Hull said, pitch something that has a sense of urgency... Blast to a targeted market (i.e corporate real estate developers or exec's on a Global Reit CEF IPO) and you may open a couple good accounts...
 
THe closed end fund idea is good, too. "you will get the IPO price and won't pay any brokerage commissions."

LEAP's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-15

Bobby Hull wrote:
blarmston wrote:Good advice... Or use a closed -end fund that is IPO'ing. Like Hull said, pitch something that has a sense of urgency... Blast to a targeted market (i.e corporate real estate developers or exec's on a Global Reit CEF IPO) and you may open a couple good accounts...
 
THe closed end fund idea is good, too. "you will get the IPO price and won't pay any brokerage commissions."

Uhhh - UITs seem like a good thing to pitch if the prospect can handle the complexity but aren't CEFs a little dangerous to your future relationship since many go down on the IPO until they trade at a discount to NAV?
Maybe a UIT in prescious metals like silver would be a good prospecting tool right now for someone looking for a growth story and the benefit of converging markets, a falling greenback and a scarcity factor of above ground supplies.
 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

LEAP wrote:Bobby Hull wrote:
blarmston wrote:Good advice... Or use a closed -end fund that is IPO'ing. Like Hull said, pitch something that has a sense of urgency... Blast to a targeted market (i.e corporate real estate developers or exec's on a Global Reit CEF IPO) and you may open a couple good accounts...
 
THe closed end fund idea is good, too. "you will get the IPO price and won't pay any brokerage commissions."

Uhhh - UITs seem like a good thing to pitch if the prospect can handle the complexity but aren't CEFs a little dangerous to your future relationship since many go down on the IPO until they trade at a discount to NAV?
Maybe a UIT in prescious metals like silver would be a good prospecting tool right now for someone looking for a growth story and the benefit of converging markets, a falling greenback and a scarcity factor of above ground supplies.
 

Someone's given you some bad information about UIT's.

pretzelhead's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-03-23

Do you just lead with returns? 
Hello Mr Prospect, I am calling you about an investment idea that will only be available through next Thursday.  It's returned an annualized average of 25.26% for the last 10 years. 
 
 

blarmston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-26

As long as you disclose that typically CEF IPO's trade down about 6 months or so after the first trading day, I dont see a huge problem there... I have been pitching high-dividend paying CEF's to some prospects, and they dont mind the decline in NAV because they know the yield is upwards of 10%.
As these are long-term investments, I position it as this. "Typically the share price will appreciate in the next coming months. Once the demand for this idea begins to tail off, you may see some decline in value on paper. The good thing is you continue to receive the div. yield and any appreciation in the first year is a bonus."
I look for CEF companies that historically have funds that have stood up well in the secondary markets. Alpine comes to mind, as well as a couple from Eaton Vance and so on...

Analyst's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-06-12

Where do you get your Corporate Directories?
I can buy them, but it seems like the companies I talk to have dated lists.  At least a couple years old, or more. 
I can call headquarters after hours and get numbers by going through the automated system, but this doesn't seem time efficient.
I have asked friends that work at big companies to get me lists, some will help out, some are afraid that they will get in trouble.
What other ways do you get them?  Are there good lead companies out there?  At least better than what I have dealt with?
 
 

Vin Diesel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-04-18

Analyst wrote:
Where do you get your Corporate Directories?
I can buy them, but it seems like the companies I talk to have dated lists.  At least a couple years old, or more. 
I can call headquarters after hours and get numbers by going through the automated system, but this doesn't seem time efficient.
I have asked friends that work at big companies to get me lists, some will help out, some are afraid that they will get in trouble.
What other ways do you get them?  Are there good lead companies out there?  At least better than what I have dealt with?
 
 

I can call headquarters after hours and get numbers by going through the automated system, but this doesn't seem time efficient.
i used this method when i worked for a wire and landed some large accounts. people also leave their coworkers extinsions on their vm when they are out of town. sometimes people leave a message on their vm that they have left the company and leave a forwarding number - can you say 401k rollover

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

The best way to get the corporate directory is to sleep with someone in HR. 
If you can't pull that, then I would try a lead list broker. 
A problem I am finding with the corporate directories though is that a lot of these people haven't saved any money except for in their 401k.  And if they've changed jobs, some have liquidated their 401k to buy a condo or to spend on some business venture.  People are horrible savers of money these days.  Also, for the companies I call on, they have continuous meetings throughout the day.  It takes them a little while to figure out this is a personal call and has nothing to do with their company. 
Oh well, as much as cold calling sucks, it definitely beats the corporate world.

drewski803's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-08

Try this line, works like a charm for me (after you quickly qualify them) "Well, mr. prospect, I'm going to be in BFE on Wednesday, would you mind if I swing by and drop off a card around 2:00?"  No? Hows 3:00?, etc.  This will get you in front of them easily (at least compared to the alternative).  Line up 6-7 of these in one day and probably 2 cancels and 1 is a no-show.  If 2 turn out to be even decent prospects, you ask them to setup a time where you can talk more formally (you're in a hurry today--which you will be).  Cake.
I think this market is killing us newbs right now though.  So many do it yourselfers that think they are geniuses.
PM me if you're interested in a list of attorney's for your state.

drewski803's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-08

Thats 2 cancel and attornies.  I am a ten-year-old.

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

drewski803 wrote:
Try this line, works like a charm for me (after you quickly qualify them) "Well, mr. prospect, I'm going to be in BFE on Wednesday, would you mind if I swing by and drop off a card around 2:00?"  No? Hows 3:00?, etc.  This will get you in front of them easily (at least compared to the alternative).  Line up 6-7 of these in one day and probably 2 cancels and 1 is a no-show.  If 2 turn out to be even decent prospects, you ask them to setup a time where you can talk more formally (you're in a hurry today--which you will be).  Cake.
I think this market is killing us newbs right now though.  So many do it yourselfers that think they are geniuses.
PM me if you're interested in a list of attorney's for your state.

I agree Drew.  The market and summer doldrums are kicking my ass right now.
I'm going to start asking people on cold calls, "How well do you feel you've been participating in this bull market we've been having?"

EDJ to RIA's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-11-28

"Do you have time for an online demo? I'll show you what you should be invested in right now in your 401k and other accounts. Yes, you can do it from your office or where ever you have an internet connection. Yes, tomorrow at 10am is fine. I'll email you the details."
People love the convenience.

anabuhabkuss's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-02

it's 3:38 pm and i just got done with call #150. my brain is so numb I could probably use a shotgun blast to the face and not feel anything.
I go straight for the appointment and Bobby Hull's advice on UITs and closed end funds is something I practice. At the evry least it's a fantastic way to engage what the person on the phone is or isn't interested in.
Always go for the appointment imo. I had an older guy in my office tell me "why would they meet with someone they don't know..you gotta engage them (by BS) and spend time talking to them etc"
Prospects don't want mind games. Just tell them what you can do for them and if they're in the buying mode they'll meet with you. You just gotta ask for the meeting.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

snaggletooth wrote:
I'm going to start asking people on cold calls, "How well do you feel you've been participating in this bull market we've been having?"

No, no,no,no,no,no!!!!!!

pretzelhead's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-03-23

anabuhabkuss wrote:
it's 3:38 pm and i just got done with call #150. my brain is so numb I could probably use a shotgun blast to the face and not feel anything.
I go straight for the appointment and Bobby Hull's advice on UITs and closed end funds is something I practice. At the evry least it's a fantastic way to engage what the person on the phone is or isn't interested in.
Always go for the appointment imo. I had an older guy in my office tell me "why would they meet with someone they don't know..you gotta engage them (by BS) and spend time talking to them etc"
Prospects don't want mind games. Just tell them what you can do for them and if they're in the buying mode they'll meet with you. You just gotta ask for the meeting.

GOOD JOB!  What were your numbers 150 dials, how many contacts, warm calls, and appointments?

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

Bobby Hull wrote:snaggletooth wrote:
I'm going to start asking people on cold calls, "How well do you feel you've been participating in this bull market we've been having?"

No, no,no,no,no,no!!!!!!

That's a bad question?

anabuhabkuss's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-02

pretzelhead wrote:anabuhabkuss wrote:
it's 3:38 pm and i just got done with call #150. my brain is so numb I could probably use a shotgun blast to the face and not feel anything.
I go straight for the appointment and Bobby Hull's advice on UITs and closed end funds is something I practice. At the evry least it's a fantastic way to engage what the person on the phone is or isn't interested in.
Always go for the appointment imo. I had an older guy in my office tell me "why would they meet with someone they don't know..you gotta engage them (by BS) and spend time talking to them etc"
Prospects don't want mind games. Just tell them what you can do for them and if they're in the buying mode they'll meet with you. You just gotta ask for the meeting.

GOOD JOB!  What were your numbers 150 dials, how many contacts, warm calls, and appointments?

All cold. "Hey I'm Anabuhabkuss, I help people manage their retirement accounts to ensure they hit their goals, provide income that will last their retirement years and are titled properly to leave behind for loved ones. Going to be in the area next week and was hoping we could get together to go over my process?"
Client says yes or no. "No?" Is it because you work with someone? How about I drip from time to time and trade their worst idea for my best? YEs? Thank you mr prospect for your time and i'll be sure to get in touch".
I average 3-4 appointments with set dates a day using this.
I go into a jewelry store, I know I want to buy. I pick the person I relate to to make the sale for me. I just reverse that mentality when I call.
I'm 9 months in production and this, along with a solid and consistent presentation has done very well for me (thank god in heaven)

anabuhabkuss's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-02

today i set 2 appointments and one asked me to call them back 3rd week of august.

brandnewadvisor's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-03-23

drewski803 wrote:
Try this line, works like a charm for me (after you quickly qualify them) "Well, mr. prospect, I'm going to be in BFE on Wednesday, would you mind if I swing by and drop off a card around 2:00?"  No? Hows 3:00?, etc.  This will get you in front of them easily (at least compared to the alternative).  Line up 6-7 of these in one day and probably 2 cancels and 1 is a no-show.  If 2 turn out to be even decent prospects, you ask them to setup a time where you can talk more formally (you're in a hurry today--which you will be).  Cake.
I think this market is killing us newbs right now though.  So many do it yourselfers that think they are geniuses.
PM me if you're interested in a list of attorney's for your state.

So are you saying a "newb" who's making 150 dials a day will manage money better and create massive returns with all the market knowledge they've accumulated while cold calling, dropping off cards and chatting on the forum?

blarmston's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-26

today i set 2 appointments and one asked me to call them back 3rd week of august.
Thats the key- generate activity by setting appts (some will stick, some will not), engaging prospects ("call me next week", "call me after Labor Day", etc) for future contacts, and so on...
After several months (years) of killing the phones with targeted calling, you will start to really see some traction being gained... Its nice to get to the point when you have 4-5 quality meetings a week (some initial ones, some 2nds, closings, reviews w/ clients, etc) and you look at your "To Call" list and you have 100 prospects to call back and you are EXCITED to call them because you have qualified tem and ave engagewd them... Beautiful thing....

vbrainy's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-26

anabuhabkuss wrote:pretzelhead wrote:anabuhabkuss wrote:
it's 3:38 pm and i just got done with call #150. my brain is so numb I could probably use a shotgun blast to the face and not feel anything.
I go straight for the appointment and Bobby Hull's advice on UITs and closed end funds is something I practice. At the evry least it's a fantastic way to engage what the person on the phone is or isn't interested in.
Always go for the appointment imo. I had an older guy in my office tell me "why would they meet with someone they don't know..you gotta engage them (by BS) and spend time talking to them etc"
Prospects don't want mind games. Just tell them what you can do for them and if they're in the buying mode they'll meet with you. You just gotta ask for the meeting.

GOOD JOB!  What were your numbers 150 dials, how many contacts, warm calls, and appointments?

All cold. "Hey I'm Anabuhabkuss, I help people manage their retirement accounts to ensure they hit their goals, provide income that will last their retirement years and are titled properly to leave behind for loved ones. Going to be in the area next week and was hoping we could get together to go over my process?"
Client says yes or no. "No?" Is it because you work with someone? How about I drip from time to time and trade their worst idea for my best? YEs? Thank you mr prospect for your time and i'll be sure to get in touch".
I average 3-4 appointments with set dates a day using this.
I go into a jewelry store, I know I want to buy. I pick the person I relate to to make the sale for me. I just reverse that mentality when I call.
I'm 9 months in production and this, along with a solid and consistent presentation has done very well for me (thank god in heaven)

Hey good for you.  You are probably working very hard.  I also thank God for everything I have every day.  Sometimes I am absolutely amazed at how far my God has brought me.
I'll try your line.

anabuhabkuss's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-02

thanks vbrainy
another tip on phone: never say you're a financial advisor.
"Hi I'm a doctor want an appointment?"prospect: "sure see you Tuesday"Walk in to see Doctor with colonospcopy equipment in hand.prospect: "Umm....but I have athletes foot"
 

snaggletooth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-13

anabuhabkuss wrote:pretzelhead wrote:anabuhabkuss wrote:
it's 3:38 pm and i just got done with call #150. my brain is so numb I could probably use a shotgun blast to the face and not feel anything.
I go straight for the appointment and Bobby Hull's advice on UITs and closed end funds is something I practice. At the evry least it's a fantastic way to engage what the person on the phone is or isn't interested in.
Always go for the appointment imo. I had an older guy in my office tell me "why would they meet with someone they don't know..you gotta engage them (by BS) and spend time talking to them etc"
Prospects don't want mind games. Just tell them what you can do for them and if they're in the buying mode they'll meet with you. You just gotta ask for the meeting.

GOOD JOB!  What were your numbers 150 dials, how many contacts, warm calls, and appointments?

All cold. "Hey I'm Anabuhabkuss, I help people manage their retirement accounts to ensure they hit their goals, provide income that will last their retirement years and are titled properly to leave behind for loved ones. Going to be in the area next week and was hoping we could get together to go over my process?"
Client says yes or no. "No?" Is it because you work with someone? How about I drip from time to time and trade their worst idea for my best? YEs? Thank you mr prospect for your time and i'll be sure to get in touch".
I average 3-4 appointments with set dates a day using this.
I go into a jewelry store, I know I want to buy. I pick the person I relate to to make the sale for me. I just reverse that mentality when I call.
I'm 9 months in production and this, along with a solid and consistent presentation has done very well for me (thank god in heaven)

Anahababadudukss,
What is your target market you calling on?  Younger, older, working, retired, pre-retiree?

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

anabuhabkuss wrote:pretzelhead wrote:anabuhabkuss wrote:
it's 3:38 pm and i just got done with call #150. my brain is so numb I could probably use a shotgun blast to the face and not feel anything.
I go straight for the appointment and Bobby Hull's advice on UITs and closed end funds is something I practice. At the evry least it's a fantastic way to engage what the person on the phone is or isn't interested in.
Always go for the appointment imo. I had an older guy in my office tell me "why would they meet with someone they don't know..you gotta engage them (by BS) and spend time talking to them etc"
Prospects don't want mind games. Just tell them what you can do for them and if they're in the buying mode they'll meet with you. You just gotta ask for the meeting.

GOOD JOB!  What were your numbers 150 dials, how many contacts, warm calls, and appointments?

All cold. "Hey I'm Anabuhabkuss, I help people manage their retirement accounts to ensure they hit their goals, provide income that will last their retirement years and are titled properly to leave behind for loved ones. Going to be in the area next week and was hoping we could get together to go over my process?"
Client says yes or no. "No?" Is it because you work with someone? How about I drip from time to time and trade their worst idea for my best? YEs? Thank you mr prospect for your time and i'll be sure to get in touch".
I average 3-4 appointments with set dates a day using this.
I go into a jewelry store, I know I want to buy. I pick the person I relate to to make the sale for me. I just reverse that mentality when I call.
I'm 9 months in production and this, along with a solid and consistent presentation has done very well for me (thank god in heaven)

Trade their worst idea for my best? Not bad.

deekay's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-15

Bobby Hull wrote:anabuhabkuss wrote:pretzelhead wrote:anabuhabkuss wrote:
it's 3:38 pm and i just got done with call #150. my brain is so numb I could probably use a shotgun blast to the face and not feel anything.
I go straight for the appointment and Bobby Hull's advice on UITs and closed end funds is something I practice. At the evry least it's a fantastic way to engage what the person on the phone is or isn't interested in.
Always go for the appointment imo. I had an older guy in my office tell me "why would they meet with someone they don't know..you gotta engage them (by BS) and spend time talking to them etc"
Prospects don't want mind games. Just tell them what you can do for them and if they're in the buying mode they'll meet with you. You just gotta ask for the meeting.

GOOD JOB!  What were your numbers 150 dials, how many contacts, warm calls, and appointments?

All cold. "Hey I'm Anabuhabkuss, I help people manage their retirement accounts to ensure they hit their goals, provide income that will last their retirement years and are titled properly to leave behind for loved ones. Going to be in the area next week and was hoping we could get together to go over my process?"
Client says yes or no. "No?" Is it because you work with someone? How about I drip from time to time and trade their worst idea for my best? YEs? Thank you mr prospect for your time and i'll be sure to get in touch".
I average 3-4 appointments with set dates a day using this.
I go into a jewelry store, I know I want to buy. I pick the person I relate to to make the sale for me. I just reverse that mentality when I call.
I'm 9 months in production and this, along with a solid and consistent presentation has done very well for me (thank god in heaven)

Trade their worst idea for my best? Not bad.

Agreed.  That's pretty solid IMO.

companyman's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-04-10

It is a solid line.  Don't be too horrified when I tell you that has been passed around every Jones call session for a few years now. 

AllREIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-12-16

blarmston wrote:Good advice... Or use a closed -end fund that is
IPO'ing. Like Hull said, pitch something that has a sense of urgency...
Blast to a targeted market (i.e corporate real estate developers or
exec's on a Global Reit CEF IPO) and you may open a couple good
accounts...

Hi, This is Blarmston at Falling Knife Securities and I'm calling you with an investment idea thats pretty sure to lose 10% no matter what the market does. Would you be interested in learning about it?

----
EXG, and ETY are now trading below NAV.

Buying a CEF at issue is like stepping in front of a train.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×