Sick and Tired of Congress

12 replies [Last post]
army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/33096.htmlI'm so sick and tired of Congress.  Not a single one of these bastards are worth a damn and don't do jack sh*t for this great country.  Every single incumbent needs to get voted out so we can bring some new blood in because these people are completely worthless. 

B24's picture
B24
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08

I know several US Reps, and I have come to the conclusion that most (many) of them go in to politics with the best intentions.  They go in thinking "I can change Washington, I will stand up for my constituents, I will be different, etc.".  What most end up finding is that if you don't "play ball", you don't get jack schit done.  It's horrible.  It's just how things are in Washington, and I don't think replacing them (well, we could do without the Pelosi-Reid "Dream Team") is going to change a thing.  IMHO, the only way to change it is to put term limits on Congress seats.  Why do you think they called the Mass Senior Senator seat the "Kennedy Seat".  That's almost insulting to the people of Mass.  It's nobody's seat.  It belongs to the people.  It should be THEIR voice in Congress, not the voice of some Trust-Fund family.  Limit Senators to 2 or 3 terms or something.  Not 10!

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

army13A wrote:http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/33096.htmlI'm so sick and tired of Congress.  Not a single one of these bastards are worth a damn and don't do jack sh*t for this great country.  Every single incumbent needs to get voted out so we can bring some new blood in because these people are completely worthless. 

Wouldn't that just bring in new stupid people... I would rather have old stupids then new stupids...

I love when US REPs campaign on "changing the way congress works" or "fix washington"... people who vote for them should be shot.... There are 435 reps in the house good luck....

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

army13A wrote:http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/33096.htmlI'm so sick and tired of Congress.  Not a single one of these bastards are worth a damn and don't do jack sh*t for this great country.  Every single incumbent needs to get voted out so we can bring some new blood in because these people are completely worthless. 

After reading the article I am not sure what I am more mad about..The pork or the fact that my rep of state wasn't on there...

Lawrence's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-04

Congress (house) is supposed to be a clusterf***, by design. That's why their approval rating is usually around 20%.

Think about it; you have districts in NYC where, to get elected, you must be vocally pro-choice and pro-gay rights. And you have districts in Oklahoma where, to get elected, you must be vehemently anti both and must condemn both to hell. You couldn't write a better sitcom!

Most people disapprove of the house, but like their local representative. My gal is the wife of a guy who made millions running his own investment firm (after he left Goldman) and was climbing Mount Everest (or the mountain next to it) when he died at age 71.

my kind of people...

Then you have other districts where representatives are starting fist fights with the white house security. Clowns.

Lawrence's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-01-04

I wonder if "keeping it real" with white house security improves one's chances of getting re-elected in some districts...probably does.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

I'm telling you, we can get what we need.  Term limits, less spending, campaign finance reform... if someone starts a non-profit by having everyone give $5 -$10, and then offering that money to the political party that has the highest percentage of votes in favor of what the "people want".I would do it, but I think it would take a lot of time.

joelv72's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-28

B24 wrote:I know several US Reps, and I have come to the conclusion that most (many) of them go in to politics with the best intentions.  They go in thinking "I can change Washington, I will stand up for my constituents, I will be different, etc.".  What most end up finding is that if you don't "play ball", you don't get jack schit done.  It's horrible.  It's just how things are in Washington, and I don't think replacing them (well, we could do without the Pelosi-Reid "Dream Team") is going to change a thing.  IMHO, the only way to change it is to put term limits on Congress seats.  Why do you think they called the Mass Senior Senator seat the "Kennedy Seat".  That's almost insulting to the people of Mass.  It's nobody's seat.  It belongs to the people.  It should be THEIR voice in Congress, not the voice of some Trust-Fund family.  Limit Senators to 2 or 3 terms or something.  Not 10!
Nail on the head.  We need people that don't make politics a career, but rather bring the unique perspectives that their careers provide to politics.

Wet_Blanket's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

Wet Blanket time:
 
I'm against term limits.  I think that a mix of old and new blood is healthy for Congress, because Congress isn't all about "new ideas" or "solutions," but largely about getting something done with the political capital you create.
 
Washington is a political machine that's been developed over centuries.  It needs maintenance and it needs good people to run it, because without it, very little will be accomplished.
 
Some may say, why not just let an idea stand or fall on its own, why have these backroom deals and vote trading?  This is because most times what someone wants to achieve from a law may be them same, but they have vastly different ideas of how to accomplish it.  Additionally, there is never a clear voter directive or "will of the people."
 
Will of the people is a myth.  We are a nation of ever-changing subgroups with their own unique (and sometimes shared) interests.  This is why it is hard to govern.  If you set term limits, you'll loss a lot of institutional memory and skill.  This is what happened when they set term limits on the committee chairs.  You party needs a talented and experienced leadership in the house and senate.
 
Take LBJ for example.  Didn't like him as a president, but he was an amazing leader in the Senate.  He got stuff done, and had a seemingly limitless toolbox to draw from to accomplish his goals.
 
Most discussions about reforming congress is a moot point.  The executive branch is were some of the most important aspects of legislation happen, and greatly dictates the direction of law.

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Wet - I have to disagree with you here.Corruption is bred by time in office.Not a single one of those bastards is free of corruption.I agree about changing sub-groups.  But our representatives are nearly all attorneys.  I am a fan of a Representative Republic, but they shouldn't all be lawyers.They are masters of deception and the trick word.  Talented does not mean attorney.  There are plenty of other professions that lend themselves to leadership.  Most of the best leaders come from the military - but do we want a military state.  We need thinkers AND leaders.

donte_drink&drive's picture
Joined: 2010-02-12

I wanna know what the Toyota Execs were thinking as those corrupt bastards tried to nail them with questions today

Wet_Blanket's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

Moraen wrote:Wet - I have to disagree with you here.Corruption is bred by time in office.Not a single one of those bastards is free of corruption.I agree about changing sub-groups.  But our representatives are nearly all attorneys.  I am a fan of a Representative Republic, but they shouldn't all be lawyers.They are masters of deception and the trick word.  Talented does not mean attorney.  There are plenty of other professions that lend themselves to leadership.  Most of the best leaders come from the military - but do we want a military state.  We need thinkers AND leaders.
 
Ahh I see, you don't want corruption.  I'm willing to tolerate a certain level of corruption in my government officials - if it gets the job done.  But then again, you might see one thing as corruption where I do not.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×