Rush Limbaugh

42 replies [Last post]
chief123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-28

Ok I understand he is the equivalent of shock radio for conservatives... But he is without a doubt the dumbest person speaking...

It's Obama's fault that he made so racist comments(against a league that is predominantly black) and pissed off the members.. Even Jim Irsay came out and said he wouldn't vote for him.

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

The NFL will never allow him to be an owner, especially with his confrontational views and history of drug-addiction; So he is clearly just doing this for the publicity. The few times I've listened to Rush, I never heard him say anything intelligent, but I have to say he knows how to market himself to his target audience. I think his motto is, "Just say something crazy and my fans will love me." I guess, that's what works for Howard Stern too.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

So owners who support and hire criminals can keep out a guy because he has confrontational views ? Yeah, that sounds fair. That is hypocritical and a form of discrimination.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Can you imagine the outrage if Jesse Jackson was prevented from being part of an ownership team ? Oh my lord it would be mass hysteria. But you meatheads cant produce an original thought so you pile on with the media, unreal and embarrassing.

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Ron 14 wrote:So owners who support and hire criminals can keep out a guy because he has confrontational views ? Yeah, that sounds fair. That is hypocritical and a form of discrimination. I'd like to see criminals off the roster...and, by confrontational, I mean intentionally confrontational...he says crazy sh*t just to piss people off. It's entertaining on radio, but not what the NFL would want in an owner.He also could go off the wagon popping pills again and do something that hurts the league. Over 50% of drug-addicts relapse at least once in their recovery. Jesse might be approved...Sharpton would not.

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

The problem i have with radio shows like his, is that he does it for money, but some people take it as "right" and live their life by it.. Also rush never graduated college and now he is a top dog in the RNC...

B24's picture
B24
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08

He's there to make money, plain and simple. People mistake him for a politician or something. He's the Jim Cramer of political talk radio.

Anyone that thinks he actually wanted to buy the STL Rams is crazy.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

He is what he is. I don't listen to him or give two sh*ts what he says. What I am saying is if Sharpton or Jesse were trying to buy a team and were prevented from doing so because they are "controversial" figures there would be uproar.
 
A majority of media types whether political or sports operate the same way. They bash everything after the fact. Unless everything becomes perfect or the hometown teams goes undefeated they will never be wrong. They are all cowards.

noggin's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-30

Ok, ok let me explain this to you all so you understand. Rush is an actor and the stage is his radio show. Anything that he can do that makes publicity for his performance he will do. This whole thing has made him a bunch of publicity and therefore more money for his performance. God bless America!!!!

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Ron 14 wrote:
He is what he is. I don't listen to him or give two sh*ts what he says. What I am saying is if Sharpton or Jesse were trying to buy a team and were prevented from doing so because they are "controversial" figures there would be uproar.
 
A majority of media types whether political or sports operate the same way. They bash everything after the fact. Unless everything becomes perfect or the hometown teams goes undefeated they will never be wrong. They are all cowards.
 
Ron, I am by no means a fan of Sharpton or Jackson because they think they are super annoying.  They make everything out to be a race issue and as a minority myself, I find it ridiculous.  However, the difference between them and Limbaugh is that Limbaugh, in my mind, is a racist.  NFL players look like Bloods and Crips? His talk about McNabb? I don't remember Sharpton or Jackson saying anything derogatory and blatanlty racist like that but I could be wrong. 
 
Plus Limbaugh is an idiot, plain and simple.  Lincoln is probably rolling in his grave that Limbaugh is the "symbol" of the RNC. 

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

What he is speaking to is the attention McNabb got early in his career when he was really just managing his team, Kyle Orton like. The defense did carry that team regardless of who was the quarterback. I compare it to the attention Jason Sehorn got for a few years. The guy was nothing more than an average cornerback, but because he was white and playing a position that is predominately black he got way more attention then his skill warranted.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

What if Tom Jackson said - "I think what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media is very desirous that a white cornerback do well. There is hope invested in Sehorn, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he didn't deserve. It was the offense that carried his team. "
 
Is that a racist comment ?

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Ron 14 wrote:What if Tom Jackson said - "I think what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media is very desirous that a white cornerback do well. There is hope invested in Sehorn, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he didn't deserve. It was the offense that carried his team. "
 
Is that a racist comment ?
 
Ron, I'm assuming you're not a minority, correct? The problem with people like Rush is that they turn everything into a race issue.  We can argue all day whether or not McNabb was overrated but what does that have to do with race? When he made that comment on ESPN, he came out of rightfield with that comment.  Is that comment, in itself, a racist comment? Probably not but it shows his thought process. 
 
Ok, what about these comments? Take the bone out of your nose and call me back? NFL is a fight between bloods and crips without weapon? Come on Ron, if these aren't racist comments, I don't know what is.  That's like saying the "Republican Convention looks like a KKK rally" is not racist. 
 
Me, personally, I don't care if Rush wants to own an NFL team.  But it's people like him and Sharpton who continue to cause racial issues in this country.  In the Army, combat arms (Infantry, Artillery, Engineers, etc) officers are predominately white.  I was one of the few who weren't but you know what, I earned the respect of my peers and commanding officers.  My chain of command loved me because I busted my ass everyday, not because I was a minority.  And when I got the "good taskings" in my unit, no one thought I was getting preferential treatment because I was a minority. Race was not brought up, period.  I don't understand why the rest of America can't get this. 

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Squash1 wrote:The problem i have with radio shows like his, is that he does it for money, but some people take it as "right" and live their life by it.. Also rush never graduated college and now he is a top dog in the RNC...haha I don't think the richest man in the world graduated from college.  Stupid argument.  College does not equal intelligence, not for one second. Also, Mr. Steele is top dog in the RNC.You liberals are a funny, revisionist history type of crowd.  Rush's comment about McNabb did not cross the line.  Go back, read it and take in the context. He was calling out the media for their love affair with McNabb. I'm guessing most of you guys have never really listened to Rush being the close minded libs you are.  Try it, a conservative point of view will set you free.Rush was not allowed to be part of an ownership group because of his political views and his loud soap box.  I hope the NFL vets all owners going forward to ensure they each meet the same standard as they applied to Rush.  If they do so, I have no issue.

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

voltmoie wrote: Squash1 wrote:The problem i have with radio shows like his, is that he does it for money, but some people take it as "right" and live their life by it.. Also rush never graduated college and now he is a top dog in the RNC...haha I don't think the richest man in the world graduated from college.  Stupid argument.  College does not equal intelligence, not for one second. Also, Mr. Steele is top dog in the RNC.You liberals are a funny, revisionist history type of crowd.  Rush's comment about McNabb did not cross the line.  Go back, read it and take in the context. He was calling out the media for their love affair with McNabb. I'm guessing most of you guys have never really listened to Rush being the close minded libs you are.  Try it, a conservative point of view will set you free.Rush was not allowed to be part of an ownership group because of his political views and his loud soap box.  I hope the NFL vets all owners going forward to ensure they each meet the same standard as they applied to Rush.  If they do so, I have no issue.
 
Volt, totally agree that college doesn't mean squat in this world. 
 
However, I am not a liberal, I'm an independent.  Listening to Rush, who is on the extreme right is like listening to Olbermann on the extreme left; I just won't do it anymore because both of their views are too radical.  Trust me, I tried to listen to both of them and they both annoy the heck out of me.  A majority of this country is independent and prefer moderates, not radicals like Rush or Olbermann. 

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

Rush is not the extreme right.  Do you even know what extreme right is?  Can't comment on KO, I get my news by reading not watching.A majority of this country is not independent, a majority of this country is center right.  That's a fact sir. 

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

voltmoie wrote: Rush is not the extreme right.  Do you even know what extreme right is?  Can't comment on KO, I get my news by reading not watching.A majority of this country is not independent, a majority of this country is center right.  That's a fact sir. 
 
Rush is extreme right.  We'll just agree to disagree on that.  I read my news as well.  What sources do you use?
 
Center right? If the country is center right, how did Obama win the election? To say that's a fact is hard to believe when a fact like that is hard to prove.  Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. 

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

army13A wrote:voltmoie wrote: Rush is not the extreme right.  Do you even know what extreme right is?  Can't comment on KO, I get my news by reading not watching.A majority of this country is not independent, a majority of this country is center right.  That's a fact sir. 
 
Rush is extreme right.  We'll just agree to disagree on that.  I read my news as well.  What sources do you use?
 
Center right? If the country is center right, how did Obama win the election? To say that's a fact is hard to believe when a fact like that is hard to prove.  Again, we'll have to agree to disagree.  The blacks showed up to vote.  Pure and simple.  The vote straight D and for the first time in recent history they turned out.  Now Acorn and other "community service" orginizations helped but I think he would have still won.  Normal amount of whites showed up to vote. If the white people show up, it'll be different.  Numbers mean everything, I didn't make it up, plenty of polls out there to prove this.  Media just dominates that type of reporting.Financial Times, CNN.COM, Drudge, AP, Economist, Reuters ... all online   like the FT best for internationalI'm extreme right, Rush is not. He might be LOUD Right but not extreme.I want drugs legalizedMilitary called home unless we declare warEnd of the fiat currencyFederal Reserve endedGov't cut in halfStates to regain powerFeds to sell the majority of land they ownFeds out of our schoolsetc. etc. etc.Following the constitution is now considered extreme.  Oh well. 

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

voltmoie wrote: army13A wrote:voltmoie wrote: I want drugs legalizedMilitary called home unless we declare warEnd of the fiat currencyFederal Reserve endedGov't cut in halfStates to regain powerFeds to sell the majority of land they ownFeds out of our schoolsetc. etc. etc.Following the constitution is now considered extreme.  Oh well. 
 
I agree with everything you said here and tag on legalizing prostitution.  We spend so many resources and dollars on "fighting" this problem when it's grown people making decisions. 
 
I never said that following the constitution was extreme.  This is what I believe in to the T.  But how many on the left and right are trying to amend the constitution or agree with it when it's convenient? 
 

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

army13A wrote:Ron 14 wrote:What if Tom Jackson said - "I think what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media is very desirous that a white cornerback do well. There is hope invested in Sehorn, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he didn't deserve. It was the offense that carried his team. "
 
Is that a racist comment ?
 
Ron, I'm assuming you're not a minority, correct? The problem with people like Rush is that they turn everything into a race issue.  We can argue all day whether or not McNabb was overrated but what does that have to do with race? When he made that comment on ESPN, he came out of rightfield with that comment.  Is that comment, in itself, a racist comment? Probably not but it shows his thought process. 
 
Ok, what about these comments? Take the bone out of your nose and call me back? NFL is a fight between bloods and crips without weapon? Come on Ron, if these aren't racist comments, I don't know what is.  That's like saying the "Republican Convention looks like a KKK rally" is not racist. 
 
Me, personally, I don't care if Rush wants to own an NFL team.  But it's people like him and Sharpton who continue to cause racial issues in this country.  In the Army, combat arms (Infantry, Artillery, Engineers, etc) officers are predominately white.  I was one of the few who weren't but you know what, I earned the respect of my peers and commanding officers.  My chain of command loved me because I busted my ass everyday, not because I was a minority.  And when I got the "good taskings" in my unit, no one thought I was getting preferential treatment because I was a minority. Race was not brought up, period.  I don't understand why the rest of America can't get this. 
 
I am not a minority.
 
Those comments are absolutely racist comments. I don't listen to the guy at all and I don't doubt that they were said by him. Saying things like that contributes to and fuels these issues. I don't think the McNabb comment is anything similar to those, but it got singled out and got blown out of proportion.
 
Lets not try to tap dance around the obvious stereotypes in sports: White men can't jump, white guys are slow, black QB's aren't pocket passers, white dudes can't play tailback or cornerback blah blah blah. Does it benefit the league when someone comes along and breaks the mold ? Yes. That is what the McNabb comments were about.
 

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Ron 14 wrote:"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

What he is speaking to is the attention McNabb got early in his career when he was really just managing his team, Kyle Orton like. The defense did carry that team regardless of who was the quarterback. I compare it to the attention Jason Sehorn got for a few years. The guy was nothing more than an average cornerback, but because he was white and playing a position that is predominately black he got way more attention then his skill warranted. I'm not going to discredit anything you said...but If you haven't coached college football...or played or coached professional football...then, I do not think you are qualified to make this statement absolutely.

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

voltmoie wrote:You liberals are a funny, revisionist history type of crowd.Isn't "revisionist history" the excuse Bush used when he was failing?

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

voltmoie wrote:
Rush is not the extreme right.  Do you even know what extreme right is?  Can't comment on KO, I get my news by reading not watching.A majority of this country is not independent, a majority of this country is center right.  That's a fact sir. 
All the sudden...I think you are an idiot.The majority of this country is center...it's an average...dumbass!

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

Rush Limbaugh is certainly very racial.  However, there is a huge difference between making racial comments and being a racist.
 
The only thing that he said derogatory about McNabb was that he was overrated.  Many people would agree with that.  Many people woudn't.  However, the racial part of the comments were his reasons why he was overrated.  Those comments were directed at the mostly white media.  I don't know how a white person making a critical comment against the mostly white media qualifies as racist.  They were racial comments.  They were stupid comments.  They were not racist comments.
 
Has Rush ever said or done anything to indicate that he thinks that blacks are somehow inferior to other people or should be treated any differently than white people?  Absent that, it's hard to put him in the category of racist.

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

Rush is an a-hole. Actually, he is an a-hole in public regularly. That's why he can't own a NFL team. People don't want to work with an a-hole, and I don't blame them.

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

A-hole.  Not an A-hole.  Who cares.   I'm not understanding most of this.  He'd have a minority stake.   Unless I'm mistaken, it means that he wouldn't be in a position to make any decisions. 

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

anonymous wrote:
 
Has Rush ever said or done anything to indicate that he thinks that blacks are somehow inferior to other people or should be treated any differently than white people?  Absent that, it's hard to put him in the category of racist.
 
Absent that? That's like saying having sex with guys doesn't make you gay.  "Well besides liking pillow biting, I wouldn't consider myself gay.  Doing gay things and being gay are two different things. "

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

 If Rush is a racist for talking about race, does that make you gay for talking about gay things?

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

anonymous wrote:A-hole.  Not an A-hole.  Who cares.   I'm not understanding most of this.  He'd have a minority stake.   Unless I'm mistaken, it means that he wouldn't be in a position to make any decisions.  The other owners did. I agree, his presence makes no operational difference on a football club. But he is a polarizing figure who would create unwanted public relations headaches. I don't blame the other owners, I would tell him to go pound sand too. 

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

anonymous wrote:A-hole.  Not an A-hole.  Who cares.   I'm not understanding most of this.  He'd have a minority stake.   Unless I'm mistaken, it means that he wouldn't be in a position to make any decisions. 
 
Exactly. There are murders and rapists and sex offenders roaming the country right now who own businesses. So because a guy is controversial on talk radio he can't have a minority stake in a business ? Give me a break. Jesse Jackson has used the threats of boycotts to put his sons in lucrative ownership areas for alcohol distribution all over Chicago and it isn't even mentioned.

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

Ron 14 wrote:anonymous wrote:A-hole.  Not an A-hole.  Who cares.   I'm not understanding most of this.  He'd have a minority stake.   Unless I'm mistaken, it means that he wouldn't be in a position to make any decisions. 
 
Exactly. There are murders and rapists and sex offenders roaming the country right now who own businesses. So because a guy is controversial on talk radio he can't have a minority stake in a business ? Give me a break. Jesse Jackson has used the threats of boycotts to put his sons in lucrative ownership areas for alcohol distribution all over Chicago and it isn't even mentioned. Jesse Jackson is an a-hole too.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Yes, he is and I agree Limbaugh is too. What I am saying is if Jesse was part of an ownership group that got denied because he is "controversial" the race card would be flying around all over the place. You can't be denied an opportunity because what you believe is different than what someone else believes. That is DISCRIMINATION.

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

anonymous wrote: If Rush is a racist for talking about race, does that make you gay for talking about gay things?
 
Rush does not talk about race; he makes racist comments.  Big difference than talking about race. 

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

anonymous wrote: If Rush is a racist for talking about race, does that make you gay for talking about gay things?
 
Telling a black woman to "take the bone out of her nose" is not talking about race.  Let me guess, you don't find anything wrong with that.  Or saying that the NFL is like a fight between Bloods and Crips without weapons doesn't bother you either. 

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

army13A wrote:anonymous wrote: If Rush is a racist for talking about race, does that make you gay for talking about gay things?
 
Telling a black woman to "take the bone out of her nose" is not talking about race.  Let me guess, you don't find anything wrong with that.  Or saying that the NFL is like a fight between Bloods and Crips without weapons doesn't bother you either. 

 
I think that it's a mistake to call people racist without knowing the full context and having some sort of understanding of what was going on in the person's head.  
 
Telling a black woman to "take the bone out of her nose" sounds as if it was probably racist.  However, before I jumped to that conclusion I would want to hear an explanation from the person who said it. 
 
The Bloods and Crips comment doesn't bother me.   They are the two best known gangs.  Is this comment any different than saying that the NFL is like a gang war?  I just wouldn't make the assumption that it had anything to do with race.  Maybe it did, but I wouldn't make the assumption.
 
I used to get called "nigger" a lot.  Should we assume that the people who called me that were racists?

BerkshireBull's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-10

anonymous wrote:army13A wrote:anonymous wrote: If Rush is a racist for talking about race, does that make you gay for talking about gay things?
 
Telling a black woman to "take the bone out of her nose" is not talking about race.  Let me guess, you don't find anything wrong with that.  Or saying that the NFL is like a fight between Bloods and Crips without weapons doesn't bother you either. 

 
I think that it's a mistake to call people racist without knowing the full context and having some sort of understanding of what was going on in the person's head.  
 
Telling a black woman to "take the bone out of her nose" sounds as if it was probably racist.  However, before I jumped to that conclusion I would want to hear an explanation from the person who said it. 
 
The Bloods and Crips comment doesn't bother me.   They are the two best known gangs.  Is this comment any different than saying that the NFL is like a gang war?  I just wouldn't make the assumption that it had anything to do with race.  Maybe it did, but I wouldn't make the assumption.
 
I used to get called "nigger" a lot.  Should we assume that the people who called me that were racists?Are you black?

voltmoie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-05

army13A wrote:anonymous wrote: If Rush is a racist for talking about race, does that make you gay for talking about gay things?
 
Telling a black woman to "take the bone out of her nose" is not talking about race.  Let me guess, you don't find anything wrong with that.  Or saying that the NFL is like a fight between Bloods and Crips without weapons doesn't bother you either.  Like a typical person that does not listen you either don't understand the context or the art of satire.  I don't blame you, you've been spoon fed this stuff from the left.  Do yourself a favor.  For one week, listen to him .. then make your mind up.  No matter what you say, doubt you've done this or will do it.BTW: I'm a proud black man.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

This, like every other thread, has gone in the ditch. The issue wasn't whether or not he is a racist. It was whether or not he should be prevented from having an ownership stake in the NFL team.

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

voltmoie wrote: army13A wrote:anonymous wrote: If Rush is a racist for talking about race, does that make you gay for talking about gay things?
 
Telling a black woman to "take the bone out of her nose" is not talking about race.  Let me guess, you don't find anything wrong with that.  Or saying that the NFL is like a fight between Bloods and Crips without weapons doesn't bother you either.  Like a typical person that does not listen you either don't understand the context or the art of satire.  I don't blame you, you've been spoon fed this stuff from the left.  Do yourself a favor.  For one week, listen to him .. then make your mind up.  No matter what you say, doubt you've done this or will do it.BTW: I'm a proud black man.
 
Spoon fed from the left? Let's see . . . I believe in cutting taxes HEAVILY, privatizing SS, free trade, cut govt spending, keeping govt out of our personal lives and force them to do what they should be doing (protecting Americans from threats, domestic and foreign).  I guess I was spoon fed all of that while I was in the military because we all know that the military is left wing right?
 
No matter what you think, I have listened to Rush.  And of course, like a typical Rush supporter, anyone who doesn't agree with your view is automatically "spoon fed from the left".  The majority of the people on this topic were in consensus that Rush is a moron.  That's because a majority of the people are independent and don't believe in his dribble.  Again, I'm an Independent that leans Libertarian.  I've voted for Repubs, Dems and Independents b/c I don't belong to a party and make my mind up about each position. 
 
Ron, part of why Rush was denied membership is because of his past and it's hard to not talk about his "racist" comments while talking about the topic of NFL ownership.  Me, personally, didn't care either way. 
 

army13A's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

Ron 14 wrote:This, like every other thread, has gone in the ditch. The issue wasn't whether or not he is a racist. It was whether or not he should be prevented from having an ownership stake in the NFL team.
 
Technically Ron, chief123 started the thread and this was his post:
 
Ok I understand he is the equivalent of shock radio for conservatives... But he is without a doubt the dumbest person speaking... It's Obama's fault that he made so racist comments(against a league that is predominantly black) and pissed off the members.. Even Jim Irsay came out and said he wouldn't vote for him.
 
I think it was just a general comment and whether he should be an NFL owner was a secondary discussion. 

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Fair enough.

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

voltmoie wrote:
Like a typical person that does not listen you either don't understand the context or the art of satire.  I don't blame you, you've been spoon fed this stuff from the left.  Do yourself a favor.  For one week, listen to him .. then make your mind up.  No matter what you say, doubt you've done this or will do it.BTW: I'm a proud black man.No black man would have Elvis as his avatar...

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×