Favre ?

294 replies [Last post]
Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Biggest stroke in the history of American Sports ?

B24's picture
B24
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08

A source close to Brett Favre said the quarterback, pending a physical, will sign a contract with the Minnesota Vikings for between $10 million to $12 million, according to ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

10-12mm????  Seriously??  For what?
 
Damn.  They should sign Flutie as a backup for $1mm.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

It is unreal. He doesn't want to put in the effort or the work that would involve training camp and they are still paying him that much. This is exactly why the Packers wanted to move on. He wasn't working out in the off season and before that last year in Green Bay he had sucked for 3 or 4 years. He blew last year in the 2nd Half because he wore down. So annoying.

chief123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-28

I think he is money.. seriously Sage or Tavaris.. as for references from last year.. you are comparing Thomas Jones to Adrian Peterson?? Also this is the same system he ran for forever in GB...

At least 2 round of playoffs... nobody else is in the division..or NFC.. Giants-no offense, eli is a joke....Eagles-no defense.....Arizona- the nfc curse of losing super bowls....Saints- no defense.... Carolina- everybodys favorite sleeper, every year....Chicago- who does cutler throw to Devin hester..really?.....Green Bay- good luck installing a 3-4 with the wrong personnel...

Am I missing a good team?

henryhill's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-08-23

Eagles & G-Men will be good.  Packers 3-4 looked very good last week against (cough) Cleveland.  Favre will give you 4-5 great games, 4-5 ok games and he will lose 4 for you.  It wouldn't surprise me if Favre got hurt this year and ended his game streak. 

chief123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-28

Seriously against the Browns, who have no qb, no rb, no rec and te.? I think the Vick thing will bite philly, that guy lied to everybody the first time around, people don't change....

The benefit that favre is going to get is Adrian Peterson(not a viking fan, Titans fan) the defenses are either going to have to play man-man(which favre will pick apart) or a zone of sorts, then Adrian Peterson will have his 2,000yds... This is a much better team then the jets and has a much better rb than he had his last year with GB when they did so well, and he will be inside.

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

chief123 wrote:I think he is money.. seriously Sage or Tavaris.. as for references from last year.. you are comparing Thomas Jones to Adrian Peterson?? Well not only Thomas Jones.  He also had Leon Washington who rushed for 500 yds and 6 tds plus 37 receptions for 2 more td's. At least 2 round of playoffs (No way!)... nobody else is in the division..or NFC.. Giants-no offense, eli is a joke (Brandon Jacobs is a BEAST!  And thats hard to admit as an Eagles fan.  Bradshaw will get alot of carries too.  Eli is a joke though)....Eagles-no defense (Philly had the number THREE defense in the NFL last year!  We lost Dawkins which hurts, but he was bad in coverage last year w/his aging legs.  Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs, Sheldon Brown, Trent Cole, Mike Patterson...we're still good!).....Arizona- the nfc curse of losing super bowls (Agree)....Saints- no defense (Agree).... Carolina- everybodys favorite sleeper, every year (Not a sleeper anymore, just a boring team that has good fundamentals, until Delhomme chokes on his Chunky Soup)....Chicago- who does cutler throw to Devin hester..really?.....Green Bay- good luck installing a 3-4 with the wrong personnel... Am I missing a good team?
 
Cowboys.  Don't discount Romo, Barber, Witten, Williams, Ware, Spears and Co.. 
 
 

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Vikings would have made the playoffs no matter who was playing QB. My point is that hes an ego maniac who loves the spotlight. Guy has been lazy for years and just wants to play in the games with little effort and the F'in media follows him around like he is Jesus Christ.

chief123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-28

I don't count the cowboys, because Romo is terrible, especially in the clutch.. Barber will never make it for a full year, though i do like the other guy... I don't trust their secondary or their offensive coordinator.

Ron, you are right they would have made the playoffs, like they did last year, but the goal isn't to make the playoffs, just like the goal isn't to produce less than $200K... I think Favre is better than what they had.. It's like replacing a $80K account with a $500K account, yeah it's not a MIL but still better than the 80K, and sure it comes with additional headaches but the increased income is worth it.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

I am not saying it is the wrong move for the team. I am saying Brett Favre as a man is a complete douche bag.

anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-29

I think that it's probably pretty hard to be one of the best in the world at something and not be an egomaniac, or at least, be portrayed like one to some extent. 
 
The guy is old and beat up.  It only makes sense that if he was going to play this year to do it in the way that is easiest on his body.   That means avoiding training camp.  It also is going to mean not practicing all that much during the season and getting special treatment.  If someone was going to pay be $12 million to be that kind of douche, I'll take the job.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

I am fine with that, but tell it like it is. Make a decision and be honest about your intentions. Don't go back and forth for 3 straight off seasons leaving 3 different franchises hanging in the wind. Jay Cutler has been torched by the media from what he did, but when it comes to Favre everyone strokes his sack. It is unreal.

Still@jones's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-03-22

I like giving old players one more chance...and that's why I'm a Raider's Fan.

LA Broker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-03

Ron, I think you are just still upset about Favre ripping the Bears apart in the 90's.  Favre and Cutler are not the same case.  Favre never forced his way out of Green Bay.  He was pressured to make up his mind after 07 and retired.  When he had a change of heart they said "we don't want you back, the train has left the station".  He never missed a game for that team playing through pain.  Never held out for a bigger contract and even took managements side when others held out like Sterling Sharpe and Javon Walker.  Cutler forced his way out because his feelings were hurt.  I know the back and fourth is a little much but it does not make him a bad guy, just has a hard time hanging it up for good.   A lot of guys in normal jobs go through this when they retire, multiply this by 100 playing pro football and you can imagine how hard it must be to walk away for good.  Ron, I agree with most of the things you post here, but not when it comes to Favre.  Asset Allocation = Good, Brett Favre = Even better, they both worked out well in the 90's and they both will make a great comeback story in 2009!

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

I actually had a ton of respect for Favre until the last few off seasons. A large majority of the Bears fans I know had grown to respect his skills and toughness even though he was beating our teams head in. I think he has gotten lazy the last few years, Green Bay saw that happening and called him out on it. Then he tried turning the tables on management. What Favre doesn't realize is coaches and GM's are trying to put together careers in a cut throat industry and as they try to prepare he is off fishing in Mississippi. It isn't fair to the teams.

Ron 15's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-08-26

Favre is kidding himself, he's going to finally retire on such an awful note its going to make it hard for people to remember him in his good years. 

chief123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-28

Isn't there a double edge sword in professional sports.. Leave to early (Barry Sanders) and we are mad and wonder why... Stay too long (Favre/Shaq) we are mad and wonder why.. But don't they have the opportunity to redeem themselves by doing something great.. For example if Shaq and Lebron win the NBA championship this year or if Favre leads the vikings to the superbowl. In 3-5 years no one will remember anyways(like when Montana finished his career as a Chief, or Jordan a wizard, Karl Malone on the lakers, Gary Payton on the lakers, heat). Sure we remember, but don't really care that they did

Indyone's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-30

Favre is a douche.  I don't care about the Packers or the Vikings...neither is my team.  I just have no respect for an aging prom queen that (1) can't admit he is too lazy to do training camp and (2) chooses a team at least partially to give his former team the finger.  What an ass he is.  I hope he gets sacked 16 times when the Vikings play the Pack.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10
3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

chief123 wrote:Isn't there a double edge sword in professional sports.. Leave to early (Barry Sanders) and we are mad and wonder why... Stay too long (Favre/Shaq) we are mad and wonder why.. But don't they have the opportunity to redeem themselves by doing something great.. For example if Shaq and Lebron win the NBA championship this year or if Favre leads the vikings to the superbowl. In 3-5 years no one will remember anyways(like when Montana finished his career as a Chief, or Jordan a wizard, Karl Malone on the lakers, Gary Payton on the lakers, heat). Sure we remember, but don't really care that they did
 
I wouldn't lump Shaq in the Favre category.  Shaq's never retired or led the media to believe he was done.  Shaq doesn't have any "redeeming" to do, he won a title 3 years ago and 3 titles prior to that.  Favre hasn't sniffed a title in 13 years, and in recent history has been the key reason why they haven't sniffed a title (OT interception in '03 vs. Eagles in playoff loss, OT interception in '07 vs. Giants in NFC title game loss, 4 INT's vs. Vikings in '04 playoff loss, 6 INT's vs Rams in '01 playoff loss, 2 INT's and a lost fumble vs. Falcons in '02 playoff loss).  He was DIRECTLY at fault for all 5 playoff eliminations this decade alone. 
 
Montana and Favre are unrelated because Montana was traded to KC and went to 2 playoffs in his 2 seasons in KC including the AFC championship game, and he made the Pro-Bowl in '93.  Jordan is Jordan.  He invented the art of the graceful comeback, unlike Favre who has Sugar Ray Leonard apparently as his life coach.

chief123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-28

3rdyrp2 wrote: chief123 wrote:Isn't there a double edge sword in professional sports.. Leave to early (Barry Sanders) and we are mad and wonder why... Stay too long (Favre/Shaq) we are mad and wonder why.. But don't they have the opportunity to redeem themselves by doing something great.. For example if Shaq and Lebron win the NBA championship this year or if Favre leads the vikings to the superbowl. In 3-5 years no one will remember anyways(like when Montana finished his career as a Chief, or Jordan a wizard, Karl Malone on the lakers, Gary Payton on the lakers, heat). Sure we remember, but don't really care that they did
 
I wouldn't lump Shaq in the Favre category.  Shaq's never retired or led the media to believe he was done.  Shaq doesn't have any "redeeming" to do, he won a title 3 years ago and 3 titles prior to that.  Favre hasn't sniffed a title in 13 years, and in recent history has been the key reason why they haven't sniffed a title (OT interception in '03 vs. Eagles in playoff loss, OT interception in '07 vs. Giants in NFC title game loss, 4 INT's vs. Vikings in '04 playoff loss, 6 INT's vs Rams in '01 playoff loss, 2 INT's and a lost fumble vs. Falcons in '02 playoff loss).  He was DIRECTLY at fault for all 5 playoff eliminations this decade alone. 
 
Montana and Favre are unrelated because Montana was traded to KC and went to 2 playoffs in his 2 seasons in KC including the AFC championship game, and he made the Pro-Bowl in '93.  Jordan is Jordan.  He invented the art of the graceful comeback, unlike Favre who has Sugar Ray Leonard apparently as his life coach.

When I referred to shaq, I meant about staying past their prime(he can barely make it through half a season now). I will conceed he has more titles, but I think that is only because in basketball you can win a title with 2 really good players, and then some role players (Kobe/Shq, Jordan/Pippen, KG/Pierce) where as in football you need a lot more talent overall(or barry sanders would have had a ring by now).

On the interceptions for Favre, he is a gunslinger(is only derrogatory when he plays poorly) and you have to live with that. Also I think the caliber of receivers he has has been very poor considering this era.. Because when I think of top 25 recievers of the past 20 years, Donald Driver, Javon Walker, Antonio Freeman and Robert Brooks don't cut it... Same as RB, Ryan Grant is ok(maybe not even), but Edgar Bennet,Dorsey Levens, Ahman Green(for maybe 2 years)... I think there is a reason for the interceptions, he has never had talent around him(Brady to Randy Moss, Manning to Harrison, Montana to Rice etc.)..

I think this year will be interesting.. still has no wr, but does have the best rb in the league

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

chief123 wrote:On the interceptions for Favre, he is a gunslinger(is only derrogatory when he plays poorly) and you have to live with that. Also I think the caliber of receivers he has has been very poor considering this era.. Because when I think of top 25 recievers of the past 20 years, Donald Driver, Javon Walker, Antonio Freeman and Robert Brooks don't cut it... Same as RB, Ryan Grant is ok(maybe not even), but Edgar Bennet,Dorsey Levens, Ahman Green(for maybe 2 years)... I think there is a reason for the interceptions, he has never had talent around him(Brady to Randy Moss, Manning to Harrison, Montana to Rice etc.)..
 
Ahhh man, I'm gonna start calling you John Madden for all the excuses you have for Favre, lmao! 
 
Driver, Walker, Freeman, Brooks and I include Greg Jennings for 2007, combined for 22,250+ yards and 168 TD's in their career w/Favre, also 5 Pro Bowls and 2 All-Pro seasons.  Not to mention Bubba Franks and Mark Chmura who combined for 6 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro's, 49 TD's and 4,500 yds, and their careers as full time starters lasted about 2/3 of Favre's GB career.
 
For the RB's, we have 5 Pro Bowls and 3 All-Pro selections between Green, Bennett and Levens.  9 1,000+ yd seasons and 141 TD's.  Hard to say those guys were schmucks. 

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

You forgot Sterling Sharpe his first few years. Without Sharpe Favre wouldn't have been allowed to continue starting. All completions were to Sharpe or the other team! Now there is a report that Favre has a cracked Rib. The media is going to be blowing him about "what a warrior",!!!

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

Ohhh yea, Sterling Sharpe!!!!  Add 3 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro's, 4,000 yds and 42 more TD's to my previous total.

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

My god I hope Ron Jaworski has a towel to wipe all the Favre juice off his face after the game tonight. Anyone else notice this?

chief123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-28

3rdyrp2 wrote:chief123 wrote:On the interceptions for Favre, he is a gunslinger(is only derrogatory when he plays poorly) and you have to live with that. Also I think the caliber of receivers he has has been very poor considering this era.. Because when I think of top 25 recievers of the past 20 years, Donald Driver, Javon Walker, Antonio Freeman and Robert Brooks don't cut it... Same as RB, Ryan Grant is ok(maybe not even), but Edgar Bennet,Dorsey Levens, Ahman Green(for maybe 2 years)... I think there is a reason for the interceptions, he has never had talent around him(Brady to Randy Moss, Manning to Harrison, Montana to Rice etc.)..
 
Ahhh man, I'm gonna start calling you John Madden for all the excuses you have for Favre, lmao! 
 
Driver, Walker, Freeman, Brooks and I include Greg Jennings for 2007, combined for 22,250+ yards and 168 TD's in their career w/Favre, also 5 Pro Bowls and 2 All-Pro seasons.  Not to mention Bubba Franks and Mark Chmura who combined for 6 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro's, 49 TD's and 4,500 yds, and their careers as full time starters lasted about 2/3 of Favre's GB career.
 
For the RB's, we have 5 Pro Bowls and 3 All-Pro selections between Green, Bennett and Levens.  9 1,000+ yd seasons and 141 TD's.  Hard to say those guys were schmucks. 
 
I am not quite on Madden's level... but close... I was simply stating that he has par talent, not sub par, but certainly not superb.. I think those guys wouldn't have been in the league without Favre(sterling gets an exception, but they weren't together that long, by the way sterlings brother looks like Mr. Ed)
 
Montana had rice and taylor and roger craig, the greenbay players don't sniff those guys. 

LA Broker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-03

I think the reason most "talking heads" type for the NFL like Favre because they appreciate the kind of competitor he is.  He never played for the money but because he loved the game.  He always gave honest interviews (which is part of being a professional) never got arrested and played hurt (alot).  Sure the back and fourth the last few years was kind of old, but it should not take away what he gave the Packers and the NFL.  Look at Brandon Marshall, Mike Vick, Stallworth, ect, ect..the list goes on, these are the bad guys, not a 40 year old who loves to play but is not sure his body will hold up an entire season.  I would not be surprised if down the road Manning or Brady have the same issues.  More guys would do the same thing but usually they are forced out of the league where Brett was recruited.  (Hey Ron, how did you like Denvers reaction to Culver?  I wonder how Green Bay fans will be?)

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

chief123 wrote:Montana had rice and taylor and roger craig, the greenbay players don't sniff those guys. 
 
John Taylor - 2 Pro Bowls, 0 All-Pro's, 2 1,000 yd seasons (None over 1,100 yds), 347 recds, 5,598 career yds, 43 TD's
 
Antonio Freeman - 1 Pro Bowl, 1 All-Pro, 3 1,000 yd seasons (2 over 1,200 yds), 477 recs, 7,251 career yds, 61 TD's
 
History looks fonder on players who are older.  History hasn't had a chance to look back on Antonio Freeman yet, mainly because he didn't have that "signature play" like Taylor did.
 
I wouldn't put Craig up on that high of a pedastal.  He's not in the H.O.F. and it can be argued that because he played in Walsh's West Coast Offense, which predicates itself on short passes and looking to the check-down receiver, is why he had such good receiving numbers.  He only had one rushing year over 1,100 yds.

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

LA Broker wrote:I think the reason most "talking heads" type for the NFL like Favre because they appreciate the kind of competitor he is.  He never played for the money but because he loved the game.  He always gave honest interviews (which is part of being a professional) never got arrested and played hurt (alot).  Sure the back and fourth the last few years was kind of old, but it should not take away what he gave the Packers and the NFL.  Look at Brandon Marshall, Mike Vick, Stallworth, ect, ect..the list goes on, these are the bad guys, not a 40 year old who loves to play but is not sure his body will hold up an entire season.  I would not be surprised if down the road Manning or Brady have the same issues.
 
I'll agree that guys like Jon Gruden and John Madden will appreciate the kind of competitor he is, but when you say "talking heads" you are also including guys like Tony Kornheiser and Mike Greenberg and Bob Ryan, etc., sportswriters and radio hosts who have no past playing experience and no reason to appreciate one persons "competitive fire" over another. 
 
The back and forth over the past couple years will take away from what he gave the Packers, as far as history is concerned.  What he did doesn't compare to any athlete of our lifetime.  Nobody has let a situation spiral out of control the way he has.  20 years from now statheads will have his records and "will-to-win", and "ability to make plays" be the first thing they think of when talking about Favre, but not people that follow the game everyday.  I was tired of his to-retire-or-not-to-retire act 3 years ago, before he even retired!  Every offseason since '03 its been a battle for him.  Again, this happens to no one else.  Manning and Brady won't have the same problem, just as the rest of the greats haven't had the same problem.  Brady has a life outside football, as does Manning.  The public has to suffer because Brett Favre can't find anything to do outside of a football field other than weed-whack and hop on a tractor.  And because of that, the Vikings fans get to see an overpaid has-been take over their team for a mere $12 million and see their season end surely on an untimely Favre interception in a playoff game.  But hey, at least the hillbilly is gonna have a blast while he's doing it!
 
LA Broker wrote:More guys would do the same thing but usually they are forced out of the league where Brett was recruited.
 
He was recruited because anyone with a brain knows if you offer him a couple newspaper headlines, excused absence from training camp, a ride home from the airport and the starting qb position he'll unretire.  Others don't get recruited because teams know when they retire they actually mean it. 

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

iceco1d wrote:3rdyrp2 - you are on a roll! 
 
Haha, thanks.  You'd think the guy had a one night stand w/my sister or something.  But no, he's never done a thing to me and may actually be the salt of the earth. 

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

People soon forget about his drunken accident in college where half of his stomach was removed and the painkiller addiction he had.
 
The media in all areas just drains every ounce out of each and every story because none of them can produce an original thought. They are all predictors after the fact and I have no respect for any of them. ESPN has become worse than CNBC and the entire Favre thing proves it. How the hell is it possible that not a single media member has come out and ripped the crap out of Favre ?

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

And that illegal crackback block he threw on Eugene Wilson last night...That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  He literally keeled over and fell into Wilson's knees as he was running towards him, and easily could have ended his career.  Mike Tirico thankfully mentioned something about that being "not cool", but did you notice that afterwards they spent more time talking how Favre's midsection probably was hurt on that block than Wilson almost being de-ligamented?  Then when asked about it after the game Favre talks about how 13 days ago he was weed-whacking and wasn't even thinking about blocking techniques.  If you can't block properly and you are a threat to others on the field then get off the damn field. 
 
The link for those who didn't see it:
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0w2mMJOmaw

LA Broker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-03

Ron 14 wrote:People soon forget about his drunken accident in college where half of his stomach was removed and the painkiller addiction he had.
 
The media in all areas just drains every ounce out of each and every story because none of them can produce an original thought. They are all predictors after the fact and I have no respect for any of them. ESPN has become worse than CNBC and the entire Favre thing proves it. How the hell is it possible that not a single media member has come out and ripped the crap out of Favre ?
 
Ron, nowhere has it been proven Favre was drunk during that car accident.  You can assume that if you want, and it very well could be true, but to accuse him of that is not fair.  He was never charged with anything.  Painkillers were a result of Favre trying to be a good teammate and play through pain, it got out of control and he fixed it on his own.  He has stepped up numerous times for other players dealing with drug issues to help them turn their life around (Koren Robinson).  A lot of the media has ripped on Favre the last couple years, that is one reason people are starting to turn on him.  Most people it seem form their opinions on what the media tells them to think.  Favre does not write the articles that show up twice a day on ESPN, if people are sick of reading it then don't.  I get sick of reading about Mike Vick, Pacman Jones, TO, ect...I just stopped reading those articles.

LA Broker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-03

3rdyrp2 wrote:And that illegal crackback block he threw on Eugene Wilson last night...That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  He literally keeled over and fell into Wilson's knees as he was running towards him, and easily could have ended his career.  Mike Tirico thankfully mentioned something about that being "not cool", but did you notice that afterwards they spent more time talking how Favre's midsection probably was hurt on that block than Wilson almost being de-ligamented?  Then when asked about it after the game Favre talks about how 13 days ago he was weed-whacking and wasn't even thinking about blocking techniques.  If you can't block properly and you are a threat to others on the field then get off the damn field. 
 
The link for those who didn't see it:
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0w2mMJOmaw
 
How many NFL teams teach the QB to block? Zero.  Why would Favre try to hurt Wilson, the guy is no good, will not play the Vikings this season and has never had beef with Favre.  Favre just used poor technique on a split second reaction.  Why childress had him at WR in preseason with the play going his way is beyond me.  To call that cheap is reaching big time.  Look how many O Lineman do illegal chop blocks and that is all they are trained to do is block. 

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

He's been in the league for 18 years.  He knows falling down and putting your torso into someones knees who can't see you isn't the right move.  Hell, throw a weak non-throwing arm shoulder into the guy or something.  But doing THAT??  No one does that.  How many blocks do you think he's seen in 18 years?  In 18 years worth of practices?  (The ones he actually shows up for). 

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

3rdyrp2 wrote:chief123 wrote:Montana had rice and taylor and roger craig, the greenbay players don't sniff those guys. 
 
John Taylor - 2 Pro Bowls, 0 All-Pro's, 2 1,000 yd seasons (None over 1,100 yds), 347 recds, 5,598 career yds, 43 TD's
 
Antonio Freeman - 1 Pro Bowl, 1 All-Pro, 3 1,000 yd seasons (2 over 1,200 yds), 477 recs, 7,251 career yds, 61 TD's
 
History looks fonder on players who are older.  History hasn't had a chance to look back on Antonio Freeman yet, mainly because he didn't have that "signature play" like Taylor did.
 
I wouldn't put Craig up on that high of a pedastal.  He's not in the H.O.F. and it can be argued that because he played in Walsh's West Coast Offense, which predicates itself on short passes and looking to the check-down receiver, is why he had such good receiving numbers.  He only had one rushing year over 1,100 yds.
I noticed you left off Rice...

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

I don't care if he did try to injure the guy.. The NFL has watered down the sport so bad "no hitting qbs if they are standing" "you must apply two hands before making a tackle on a running back" "no tackling a reciever if is able to score". 
The NFL used to a good place to see some great football played, I have seen arena games with more hitting. If you are getting paid $12MM/year to throw the ball, then why do i care if Albert Haynesworth smooshes your butt, get up and play..

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

Squash1 wrote:3rdyrp2 wrote:chief123 wrote:Montana had rice and taylor and roger craig, the greenbay players don't sniff those guys. 
 
John Taylor - 2 Pro Bowls, 0 All-Pro's, 2 1,000 yd seasons (None over 1,100 yds), 347 recds, 5,598 career yds, 43 TD's
 
Antonio Freeman - 1 Pro Bowl, 1 All-Pro, 3 1,000 yd seasons (2 over 1,200 yds), 477 recs, 7,251 career yds, 61 TD's
 
History looks fonder on players who are older.  History hasn't had a chance to look back on Antonio Freeman yet, mainly because he didn't have that "signature play" like Taylor did.
 
I wouldn't put Craig up on that high of a pedastal.  He's not in the H.O.F. and it can be argued that because he played in Walsh's West Coast Offense, which predicates itself on short passes and looking to the check-down receiver, is why he had such good receiving numbers.  He only had one rushing year over 1,100 yds.
I noticed you left off Rice...
 
Squash, squash, squash...your stepping foot in the lions den.  You gotta be careful man!  Joe Montana was a 2 time Super Bowl MVP before Rice even graduated college!  He threw for 273 TD's in his career and only 55 of them were to Rice.  He played with Rice for 5.5 seasons, which was well less than half of Montana's career.  Sure, they were more explosive with Rice in there, but Montana's legacy owes nothing to Rice.  That's like saying "Well of course Tom Brady was a great QB, he had Randy Moss!"

Moraen's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009-01-22

Squash1 wrote: I don't care if he did try to injure the guy.. The NFL has watered down the sport so bad "no hitting qbs if they are standing" "you must apply two hands before making a tackle on a running back" "no tackling a reciever if is able to score". 
The NFL used to a good place to see some great football played, I have seen arena games with more hitting. If you are getting paid $12MM/year to throw the ball, then why do i care if Albert Haynesworth smooshes your butt, get up and play..

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

Moraen wrote: Squash1 wrote: I don't care if he did try to injure the guy.. The NFL has watered down the sport so bad "no hitting qbs if they are standing" "you must apply two hands before making a tackle on a running back" "no tackling a reciever if is able to score". 
The NFL used to a good place to see some great football played, I have seen arena games with more hitting. If you are getting paid $12MM/year to throw the ball, then why do i care if Albert Haynesworth smooshes your butt, get up and play..
 
Come on, we're all for the big hit and seeing someone get leveled, but going low on someones knees when they're not even looking?  Lets not turn this into a debate on whether the league needs to be less tough on hitting.  We all know they do.  Not on this play though.

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

Then he should have been paying attention. That hit is legal 3 yards from where he was.. If that guy didn't want to risk his knees, he should have stuck with intramural flag football or ballet and not football.
 
Football is the ultimate risk reward sport... sure you may make $25MM but you may not be able to walk or get out of bed, but lets face it, what else would they do. We have seen what happens when they retire (McNair, Nate Newton, and others couldn't make a good choice if they tried, that is why they played football). And how many do you see who have made $30MM or more, but within 4 years after retiring they are broke or file for bankruptcy.
 
On a second note.. Joe Montana had 273 TDs, Bret Favre has started more games then Joe threw TDs. Oh and he has almost double the tds... I would accept an argument about Dan Marino, but all montana was, was a glorified system qb(like University of Florida qbs when Spurrier was there)

3rdyrp2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-13

Squash1 wrote:Then he should have been paying attention. That hit is legal 3 yards from where he was.. If that guy didn't want to risk his knees, he should have stuck with intramural flag football or ballet and not football.
 
Football is the ultimate risk reward sport... sure you may make $25MM but you may not be able to walk or get out of bed, but lets face it, what else would they do. We have seen what happens when they retire (McNair, Nate Newton, and others couldn't make a good choice if they tried, that is why they played football). And how many do you see who have made $30MM or more, but within 4 years after retiring they are broke or file for bankruptcy.
 
Ok, we've gotten into pretty absurd territory now.
 
Quote:On a second note.. Joe Montana had 273 TDs, Bret Favre has started more games then Joe threw TDs. Oh and he has almost double the tds... I would accept an argument about Dan Marino, but all montana was, was a glorified system qb(like University of Florida qbs when Spurrier was there)
 
And Montana has 4 times as many rings.  His 1st year in KC they tied for the most wins in team history and went to the AFC championship game.  The thing that catapulted Favre to come back to the Vikings this year is that their offense is the EXACT SAME system that he played in Green Bay!  If you want to get into the "system" discussion.

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

I don't disagree that all qbs are system quarterbacks.. Look at Jason Campbell, that guy has had 6 different offenses to learn in the last 5 years.

My point was that Favre was able to do just as good of work for a longer period of time and in the era of free agency. Remember when Montana played you could build a team for years and have that chemistry, not anymore, these guys might as well be indy reps.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

Lets get back to the main point. Favre is a tool. Plain and simple. Great player, yes. Total stroke, yes.

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

First of all I didn't know people used the word "tool" still when not referring to something in their garage.
What makes him a tool? Aren't you the same guy who hates ESPN? Just stop watching.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

You actually buy into his act ? You think he is just a hard nosed football player who plays for the love of the game ? You don't think he is an egomaniac who has become lazy and greedy ? You don't think he yearns for attention ?
 
You probably think Obama will bring "change" also.

chief123's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-10-28

I think if he wanted easy money he would retire, hang low for a year then take that multi million dollar marketing deal that the Packers are still dangling at him. I think he plays because he loves the game, you can tell by the way he plays, it's like backyard football.
 
I have never met a useful politician, but admire their moxy, because everyone is going to end up hating you, kind of like being on a school board.

LA Broker's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-03

Ron 14 wrote:
You actually buy into his act ? You think he is just a hard nosed football player who plays for the love of the game ? You don't think he is an egomaniac who has become lazy and greedy ? You don't think he yearns for attention ?
 
You probably think Obama will bring "change" also.
 
Please don't but Favre and Obama in the same sentence, Obama does not deserve that.  Besides Ron, your from Chicago, I thought you bought into all the dirty Chicago politics.  I don't think Favre is lazy as much as his body is starting to break down a little.  It's not easy getting up everyday to play when you have taken that many hits.  Until last season, Favre was known as a guy who NEVER missed practices, never went to the training room.  To judge his work ethic at 39 years old is not taking in his whole body of work.  Trust me, you can not be the leader he was for the Packers if he had a poor work ethic, those guys get weeded out pretty quick, ask Ryan Leaf.  QB's set the tempo for the entire team and if he was slacking guys would take notice.  That might be a problem in Minn if they get off to a slow start.

Ron 14's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-10

There are reports that some guys are annoyed already. Just wait until the Vikings are up in the fourth, trying to run out the clock and Favre's ego takes over and he forces a throw that turns into a pick 6.
 
I am from Chicago. I don't buy into the dirty politics, nice assumption though. I would rather have Favre as President.

SometimesNowhere's picture
Joined: 2008-12-22

Ron 14 wrote:There are reports that some guys are annoyed already. Just wait until the Vikings are up in the fourth, trying to run out the clock and Favre's ego takes over and he forces a throw that turns into a pick 6.
 
I am from Chicago. I don't buy into the dirty politics, nice assumption though. I would rather have Favre as President.
 

 
I vote Pac-Man as VP!

Squash1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-19

No wonder you hate Favre your from chicago.. Where having a qb means nothing. Nor winning games, except for fluke seasons... Can we call Urlacher overrated now.

I think Favre knows the problems of his past (interceptions) notice how he took sacks in that preseason game, old favre would have just heaved it. Plus if they are up in the 4th(and I think they will be a lot) then All day AP will get the ball and if he needs a rest(which he won't) then they have Chester Taylor... (DISCLAIMER: I am a TENN Titans fan, not a viking fan, but I do enjoy watching Favre play)

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×