Changing Firms

10 replies [Last post]
dezaster's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-30

I am changing firms in the next month.  My firms primary business is not advice and it is a small part of our business.  I do not have a non compete and they are not part of the transition agreement alliance or whatever it is called.  I did sign an employment agreement that is pretty broad, but does say that i am not take any property including but limited to lists, etc.   I am thinking of leaving because our firm got overly involved in the mortage mess and could potentially become insolvment or more of my clients can leave if more shoes drop.   
 
My new firm of course wants me to succeed, but my main fear is not being able to contact my clients for a few months making them less portable.  How long can I expect to be tied up in court and do sueing firms ever permanently win against brokers attempting to leave with relationships.  Thanks in advance. 
 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Here's a tip - the same people that read the posts in other topics, read the posts in this topic. There are too many inconsistencies between this post and your other post. Get your story straight - the burden of proof is on you to show you are real. I dont believe any of this.

dezaster's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-30

Neither post is untrue.  I am attempting to find two different pieces of information with each so of course they will be from different prospective.   I was honestly expecting this forum to be a bit more helpful. 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

dezaster wrote:I am changing firms in the next month.  My firms primary business is not advice and it is a small part of our business.  I do not have a non compete and they are not part of the transition agreement alliance or whatever it is called.  I did sign an employment agreement that is pretty broad, but does say that i am not take any property including but limited to lists, etc.   I am thinking of leaving because our firm got overly involved in the mortage mess and could potentially become insolvment or more of my clients can leave if more shoes drop.   
 
My new firm of course wants me to succeed, but my main fear is not being able to contact my clients for a few months making them less portable.  How long can I expect to be tied up in court and do sueing firms ever permanently win against brokers attempting to leave with relationships.  Thanks in advance. 
 So you're with H&R Block then?

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

dezaster wrote:
Neither post is untrue.  I am attempting to find two different pieces of information with each so of course they will be from different prospective.   I was honestly expecting this forum to be a bit more helpful. 
 
Don't know why, but I am starting to believe you.
I answered your post in the other section.
Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed information

Roadhard's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-23

I am too...you can PM me if I can be of assistance--I've got 15 years experience too.

dezaster's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-30

Even though I do not have a non compete, I was under the impression that given the broad wording of my employement agreement my previous firm would still "come after me'".  The new firms I am looking at are telling me that if they did, it would likely take 2 weeks to a month at most to resolve.  My concern is that it gets dragged out for months hurting my clients and myself.  So I guess from what you are saying I could be stopped from contacting my clients for many months.  I am nervous that the firm defending me may be sugar coating it a bit.  I think you confirmed this fact. 
 
I am also concerned of slander in my case, because the reason i am leaving is concerns about the companies future. 

dezaster's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-30

Which would be more attractive? Better to be around better Reps or be top dog?
 
A) Branch at firm is one of the top in the country.  Two 2 mil plus producers.  I would also be kicking another Rep out of their office. 
 
B) Branch top producer is at about 900k.  Empty offices, but the branch was one of the top also in its reason.    

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

dezaster wrote:Which would be more attractive? Better to be around better Reps or be top dog?
 
A) Branch at firm is one of the top in the country.  Two 2 mil plus producers.  I would also be kicking another Rep out of their office. 
 
B) Branch top producer is at about 900k.  Empty offices, but the branch was one of the top also in its reason.    Did you start drinking at lunchtime today?

dezaster's picture
Offline
Joined: 2007-12-30

Thanks for your negativity.  I also noticed you were surfing on this site at 10:30 am. Must have been a quiet day for you.   I can assure you will not find me posting during market hours.  I will be doing business, then posting and maybe a little drinking after market hours :) 

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×