Still The Land Of Opportunity

22 replies [Last post]
doberman's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-22

SNIPPET:
Yolanda and Rogelio Garcia Sr. live nothing like their children, and that is exactly how they'd dreamed it. For 21 years, the Garcias have supported their family by picking through garbage, often cutting their fingers on broken glass while searching for cans and bottles. Late at night they make their living on the darkened streets and back alleys of Los Angeles, recycling other people's trash for cash. They've collected more than 8 million cans and bottles to help put two children through college.
http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=060331&am p;cat=frontpage&st=frontpage2020_garcia_recycling_060330 &src=abc

Dirk Diggler's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-30

doberman wrote:
SNIPPET:
Yolanda and Rogelio Garcia Sr. live nothing like their children, and that is exactly how they'd dreamed it. For 21 years, the Garcias have supported their family by picking through garbage, often cutting their fingers on broken glass while searching for cans and bottles. Late at night they make their living on the darkened streets and back alleys of Los Angeles, recycling other people's trash for cash. They've collected more than 8 million cans and bottles to help put two children through college.
http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=060331&am p;am p;cat=frontpage&st=frontpage2020_garcia_recycling_060330 &src=abc

 
You'll never see Daiwan and Lookeesha Jackson working that hard for anything.

giff74's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-30

It makes me physically ill to think how many "Americans" lay around turning taxes into entitlements, when other folks are working this hard to put their kids through college.

menotellname's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-01

Your thread title is woefully misleading.
This is not "opportunity".  This is perserverance.
It is those people that dumped all of their recycleables in the trash that have "missed opportunity".  Those that have missed opportunity are the ones such as Dirk that seek entitlement.  Huge difference between the two.
My people know perserverance.  If not...we wouldn't keep fighting fools like Dirk.

om_nupe's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-16

Dirk,
Your comment is uncalled for and completely ignorant. With people having the same mindset as you, it is no wonder the world is in turmoil.

Dirk Diggler's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-30

om_nupe wrote:
Dirk,
Your comment is uncalled for and completely ignorant. With people having the same mindset as you, it is no wonder the world is in turmoil.

Thanks for sharing. Keep coming back.

doberman's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-22

menotellname:
Your thread title is woefully misleading.
This is not "opportunity".  This is perserverance.
-----------------------------------------------
Agreed.

Visigoth's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-01

Dirk, you're right.

Dirk Diggler's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-30

Visigoth wrote:Dirk, you're right.

I had a feeling I might be.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

menotellname wrote:Your thread title is woefully misleading.
This is not "opportunity".  This is perserverance.
It is those people that dumped all of their recycleables in the trash that have "missed opportunity".  Those that have missed opportunity are the ones such as Dirk that seek entitlement.  Huge difference between the two.
My people know perserverance.  If not...we wouldn't keep fighting fools like Dirk.Some of your people truly do.  Look at Alan Keyes or Stan O'Neal among many others.  Sadly, however, I think there is a significant minority who lend the kernel of truth to the stereotypes that Dirk puts forth.  Dependency on welfare entitlements that are being passed on from one generation to the next by 30 year old grandmothers almost like a cherished family tradition.lI wish it weren't true......and I don't know how to change it.

Cowboy93's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-10

That mindset obviously exists....but I have a problem with people implying (or maybe infering?) that the correlation between the mindset and race somehow shows causation.  It's a poor thing more than anything else.
I do not know how to change it either, other than to consistenly refuse to respond to people who want us to think it's about race, gender, etc.  Education is the only way to break the cycle, but unfortunately the people in charge of a child's education (his or her PARENTS) may not value education in the cases where it's most sorely, desperately required.  Think more Colin Powell, less (or none at all) Hillary Clinton.  Or in our business, more John Rogers/Stan Oneal, less Eliot Spitzer.
I still agree with the original poster's comment.  I still think Dirk is a Rush Limbaugh wannabe.  God Bless America.

Dirk Diggler's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-30

Cowboy93 wrote:
That mindset obviously exists....but I have a problem with people implying (or maybe infering?) that the correlation between the mindset and race somehow shows causation.  It's a poor thing more than anything else.
I do not know how to change it either, other than to consistenly refuse to respond to people who want us to think it's about race, gender, etc.  Education is the only way to break the cycle, but unfortunately the people in charge of a child's education (his or her PARENTS) may not value education in the cases where it's most sorely, desperately required.  Think more Colin Powell, less (or none at all) Hillary Clinton.  Or in our business, more John Rogers/Stan Oneal, less Eliot Spitzer.
I still agree with the original poster's comment.  I still think Dirk is a Rush Limbaugh wannabe.  God Bless America.

They're poor because nobody wants to hire them. Nobody wants to hire them because they act like a**holes. They act like a**holes because liberals like you have them convinced that they are entitled to things because they can't compete with normal people. They can't compete because they are dumb, as evidenced by the fact that liberals like you try to set policy, such that colleges have to DROP their standards so that the inferior fish will be caught in the net, too.

om_nupe's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-16

Dirk,
When you say they, who exactly are you referring to?

Dirk Diggler's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-30

om_nupe wrote:
Dirk,
When you say they, who exactly are you referring to?

Them.

TryingToGetIn's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-11

Why would anyone bother to respoind to Dirk.  Go through his posts and read them. He just tries to get people going. He is either 14 years old or really bored.
He obviously has nothing better to do - He has 396 post since Dec 05.
Must be his only client is out of town for the winter.
 

Cowboy93's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-10

Great point--I thought it myself.  Geez, I've been called a lot of things, but liberal is definitely not one of them.  If acting like an a-hole is a sure way to not get hired, perhaps he doesn't have a job.

Dirk Diggler's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-30

Cowboy93 wrote:Great point--I thought it myself.  Geez, I've been called a lot of things, but liberal is definitely not one of them.  If acting like an a-hole is a sure way to not get hired, perhaps he doesn't have a job.

 
I don't have a JOB.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Cowboy93 wrote:
That mindset obviously exists....but I have a problem with people implying (or maybe infering?) that the correlation between the mindset and race somehow shows causation.  It's a poor thing more than anything else.
I do not know how to change it either, other than to consistenly refuse to respond to people who want us to think it's about race, gender, etc.  Education is the only way to break the cycle, but unfortunately the people in charge of a child's education (his or her PARENTS) may not value education in the cases where it's most sorely, desperately required.  Think more Colin Powell, less (or none at all) Hillary Clinton.  Or in our business, more John Rogers/Stan Oneal, less Eliot Spitzer.
I still agree with the original poster's comment.  I still think Dirk is a Rush Limbaugh wannabe.  God Bless America.

Yes I get what you're saying regarding causation.
This is an issue of interest to me as I grew up in a very homogenous environment as a young child, but spent high school and college in a very integrated environment and to this day have friends of all colors and creeds.
I think the REAL challenge is one of the value that peers and parents place on education and academic acheivement.  I've observed this sad problem first hand.  "You want to STUDY instead of hangin' out on the corner with us tonight?  What's wrong with you?  Gettin' too big for us?"  That sorta thing....
Institionalized racism doesn't help, and it DOES exist.

executivejock's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-29

Suspect they did not pay taxes on these cans...
Good points all around..
 
2008 handout from the libs...
Now that you are a 30 year old grandmother struggling with the challenges of life... with only a welfare check, section 8, WICK, social security and free medical insurance to get you through your day... Vote democratic, since you deserve more!
 
Republicans send your children to war... Republicans are all wealthy.. Republicans are corporate America... Republicans get all the tax breaks... Republicans cut benefits to the poor, military and challenged...  Republicans are often white Christians...
This is in line with moveon.org

Dirk Diggler's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-30

executivejock wrote:
Suspect they did not pay taxes on these cans...
Good points all around..
 
2008 handout from the libs...
Now that you are a 30 year old grandmother struggling with the challenges of life... with only a welfare check, section 8, WICK, social security and free medical insurance to get you through your day... Vote democratic, since you deserve more!
 
Republicans send your children to war... Republicans are all wealthy.. Republicans are corporate America... Republicans get all the tax breaks... Republicans cut benefits to the poor, military and challenged...  Republicans are often white Christians...
This is in line with moveon.org

EVery "child" in the war has volunteered for service. Most have joined since 2001, with FULL knowledge that they are likely to see action. Not all Republicans are wealthy, but all of them understand that if they want something they have to EARN it. Republicans get tax breaks because they pay taxes. People that DON'T pay taxes get the biggest tax break. They don't PAY them. Republicans can cut handouts that they make with THEIR money as much as they want. Until the dummycraps find a better idea, this will not change. White people are good. Christians are good. Republicans are good.

executivejock's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-29

True dattttt, but not all whites, Republicans or Christians are good..
Did you hear the quote, "Would much rather go hunting with Cheeny then driving with Kennedy."
One thing for sure is REPUBLICANS are in general happier and much more optomistic then the moveon.org, Michael Moore, Hollywood, Soros and Gore klans. Also from what I see on TV they often look better.
 

menotellname's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-01

Dirk Diggler wrote:
EVery "child" in the war has volunteered for service. Most have joined since 2001, with FULL knowledge that they are likely to see action. Not all Republicans are wealthy, but all of them understand that if they want something they have to EARN it. Republicans get tax breaks because they pay taxes. People that DON'T pay taxes get the biggest tax break. They don't PAY them. Republicans can cut handouts that they make with THEIR money as much as they want. Until the dummycraps find a better idea, this will not change. White people are good. Christians are good. Republicans are good.
Wrong again, Dirk.
Republicans seek entitlements and handouts from the government just like everybody else.  They just do it under the guise of "kickbacks" due to some alleged payments that they have already made which were in fact write offs to begin with.  I find it truly amazing how ignorant you and your cohorts are of the "manufactured money" that just simply comes out of clean air for your kickbacks...er...writeoffs...oops...I mean...entitlements...um...handouts. 

Dirk Diggler's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-12-30

menotellname wrote:
Dirk Diggler wrote:
EVery "child" in the war has volunteered for service. Most have joined since 2001, with FULL knowledge that they are likely to see action. Not all Republicans are wealthy, but all of them understand that if they want something they have to EARN it. Republicans get tax breaks because they pay taxes. People that DON'T pay taxes get the biggest tax break. They don't PAY them. Republicans can cut handouts that they make with THEIR money as much as they want. Until the dummycraps find a better idea, this will not change. White people are good. Christians are good. Republicans are good.
Wrong again, Dirk.
Republicans seek entitlements and handouts from the government just like everybody else.  They just do it under the guise of "kickbacks" due to some alleged payments that they have already made which were in fact write offs to begin with.  I find it truly amazing how ignorant you and your cohorts are of the "manufactured money" that just simply comes out of clean air for your kickbacks...er...writeoffs...oops...I mean...entitlements...um...handouts. 

And the money for these "handouts" come from the black people, Mr. Milk Dud head?

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×