Do you wear a suit?

104 replies [Last post]
bankrep1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-02

I have always felt I should dress the part, but recently I started dressing business casual on Fridays, I honestly think my business has increased.
Any thoughts?

The Answer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-02

 
Maybe you should dress casual on Thursdays, too.

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

And Mondays might work...

Actually, I'm not a fan of "dressing the part".  I think the
"real" look works best, at least in my world.  I personally feel
phony when I where a suit.  Actually I have a motto that I can't
say here for confidentiality purposes that addresses this.

If a client chooses a FA due to what he/she wears... God help them.

Soothsayer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-24

You don't wear a suit to impress yourself or your client.  The suit is an outward sign of respect for the client, and the task they may entrust to you--that is, taking care of their life savings.  It's the same reason that you wear a suit to a wedding, funeral, or an Easter church service.  It's about respect.  Wear it every day.  Even Friday.  If yours is not comfortable, find a new tailor. 
Yesterday it was close to 100 degrees in my market.  I had two high level appointments.  One was in the office, the other out of the office.  I put in a 13 hour day, and felt comfortable the entire time.  Quit buying cheap polyester suits, and then you won't be uncomfortable, and neither will your clients.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

Soothsayer wrote:
You don't wear a suit to impress yourself or your client.  The suit is an outward sign of respect for the client, and the task they may entrust to you--that is, taking care of their life savings.  It's the same reason that you wear a suit to a wedding, funeral, or an Easter church service.  It's about respect.  Wear it every day.  Even Friday.  If yours is not comfortable, find a new tailor. 
Yesterday it was close to 100 degrees in my market.  I had two high level appointments.  One was in the office, the other out of the office.  I put in a 13 hour day, and felt comfortable the entire time.  Quit buying cheap polyester suits, and then you won't be uncomfortable, and neither will your clients.

What he said.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

Ready2Jump wrote:And Mondays might work...Actually, I'm not a fan of "dressing the part".  I think the "real" look works best, at least in my world.  I personally feel phony when I where a suit.  Actually I have a motto that I can't say here for confidentiality purposes that addresses this.If a client chooses a FA due to what he/she wears... God help them.
A serious question.  How old are you and what type of market do you serve--rural, small town, etc?  What is a state that borders yours?

babbling looney's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-02

Sooth is right. Dressing for the seriousness of the occasion whichis handling people's life savings.  I wear either dresses, skirt and jacket combo or pants suit types of outfits. Fabrics that won't wrinkle like rayon or silk blends and a fabric brush at hand to get rid of any dust, cat hair or other fluff. Heels and nylons at all times and tastefully expensive jewelry.  Not bling. Understated make up in neutral colors. It was also over 105 degrees here too...nylons in that heat....ick.  But it must be done.
The only time I dress down is when I go golfing and even then I wear a matching outfit and hat. No jeans or cut offs or ever ever ever a polo shirt in public for me as a woman. 
It is important to look tastefully dressed even when going to the grocery store.  You never know when you are going to run into a client or a prospect. 
Now at home, that's another story.  Bring on the khaki shorts,tank tops and flip flops!!!

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

babbling looney wrote:
"...or ever ever ever a polo shirt in public for me as a woman. "

 
I agree completely, except the above. What's the issue with polo shirts?

Devoted SA's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-28

mikebutler222 wrote:babbling looney wrote:
"...or ever ever ever a polo shirt in public for me as a woman. "

 
I agree completely, except the above. What's the issue with polo shirts?

We in our office don like em.  Plus when the vendors show up with them as booby prizes for listening to the schpiel, they are always men-sizes.  Might as well take it home to the hubby for him to wear & advertise on golf course since rep and I don't play.
We second what Babs says about dressing. Suits n heels / dresses n heels. We do casual Friday's because we close at 1pm, but clients know that and usual don't even bother to come in. But casual is capri's and blouses twin sets etc.

babbling looney's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-02

mikebutler222 wrote:babbling looney wrote:
"...or ever ever ever a polo shirt in public for me as a woman. "

 
I agree completely, except the above. What's the issue with polo shirts?

They don't suit my figure and I hate the collars.  Shall we just say they bring too much emphasis to the upper part of my body

maybeeeeeeee's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-24

How bout the suits those annuity wholesalers wear!!!!! Who are they kidding.  Like $1000 a pop. 
Even my wealthiest clients do not wear suits like that.
I think a nice, well made suit fits most business meetings.  But, you have to be able to make your client feel comfortable (and not like they are underdressed).

maybeeeeeeee's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-24

babbling looney wrote:
Sooth is right. Dressing for the seriousness of the occasion whichis handling people's life savings.  I wear either dresses, skirt and jacket combo or pants suit types of outfits. Fabrics that won't wrinkle like rayon or silk blends and a fabric brush at hand to get rid of any dust, cat hair or other fluff. Heels and nylons at all times and tastefully expensive jewelry.  Not bling. Understated make up in neutral colors. It was also over 105 degrees here too...nylons in that heat....ick.  But it must be done.
The only time I dress down is when I go golfing and even then I wear a matching outfit and hat. No jeans or cut offs or ever ever ever a polo shirt in public for me as a woman. 
It is important to look tastefully dressed even when going to the grocery store.  You never know when you are going to run into a client or a prospect. 
Now at home, that's another story.  Bring on the khaki shorts,tank tops and flip flops!!!

Agreed.
But, don't you hate it when you run out of milk and just pop to the store in sweats and a ponytail.  It stinks!!! You always see a great client or prospect.
FAs are human too.  (or most of us)
t

Devoted SA's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-28

maybeeeeeeee wrote:
How bout the suits those annuity wholesalers wear!!!!! Who are they kidding.  Like $1000 a pop. 
Even my wealthiest clients do not wear suits like that.
I think a nice, well made suit fits most business meetings.  But, you have to be able to make your client feel comfortable (and not like they are underdressed).

Our VK vendor borrowed his dad's suit. (like 2 times his size) He's got a set of ears on him like a cab drivin down the street with the doors open. Was ALL excited to talk about VK. Rep had to laugh....poor kid had NO idea why.
We've secretly dubbed him Curious George now.

babbling looney's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-02

maybeeeeeeee wrote:babbling looney wrote:
Sooth is right. Dressing for the seriousness of the occasion whichis handling people's life savings.  I wear either dresses, skirt and jacket combo or pants suit types of outfits. Fabrics that won't wrinkle like rayon or silk blends and a fabric brush at hand to get rid of any dust, cat hair or other fluff. Heels and nylons at all times and tastefully expensive jewelry.  Not bling. Understated make up in neutral colors. It was also over 105 degrees here too...nylons in that heat....ick.  But it must be done.
The only time I dress down is when I go golfing and even then I wear a matching outfit and hat. No jeans or cut offs or ever ever ever a polo shirt in public for me as a woman. 
It is important to look tastefully dressed even when going to the grocery store.  You never know when you are going to run into a client or a prospect. 
Now at home, that's another story.  Bring on the khaki shorts,tank tops and flip flops!!!

Agreed.
But, don't you hate it when you run out of milk and just pop to the store in sweats and a ponytail.  It stinks!!! You always see a great client or prospect.
FAs are human too.  (or most of us)
t

LOL ....It never fails!!!  If I leave off from gardening or painting and go to the store for "just a sec" in my grubbies, THAT"S when I see a good client or prospect.   That's also why I press gang my husband to go to the store for those quick trips.  No one cares how he dresses, including him.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

babbling looney wrote:mikebutler222 wrote:babbling looney wrote:
"...or ever ever ever a polo shirt in public for me as a woman. "

 
I agree completely, except the above. What's the issue with polo shirts?

They don't suit my figure and I hate the collars.  Shall we just say they bring too much emphasis to the upper part of my body

 
"too much emphasis"? There's no such thing 

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Devoted SA wrote:mikebutler222 wrote:babbling looney wrote:
"...or ever ever ever a polo shirt in public for me as a woman. "

 
I agree completely, except the above. What's the issue with polo shirts?

We in our office don like em.

I didn't mean in the office. BL has said "ever in public", but thanks for the input.

Devoted SA's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-28

I'm sorry -I meant as a consensus. In the office/out of the office.

Devoted SA's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-28

LOL ....It never fails!!!  If I leave off from gardening or painting and go to the store for "just a sec" in my grubbies, THAT"S when I see a good client or prospect.   That's also why I press gang my husband to go to the store for those quick trips.  No one cares how he dresses, including him.

How about running into client at a bar or restaurant - I've been dressed....but toasting Pancho Villa for Cinco De Mayo at the bar or stuffing your face and client wanders in?  Have to choke down bite of whatever you just shoveled in to stand up shake hands say hello etc.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

Devoted SA wrote:I'm sorry -I meant as a consensus. In the office/out of the office.
Well, I agree they're not office wear, but out of the office I think they look smart on most women.

troll's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-11-29

maybeeeeeeee wrote:
How bout the suits those annuity wholesalers wear!!!!! Who are they kidding.  Like $1000 a pop. 
Even my wealthiest clients do not wear suits like that.
I think a nice, well made suit fits most business meetings.  But, you have to be able to make your client feel comfortable (and not like they are underdressed).

 
I've never noticed that wholesalers wear expensive suits, but I have noticed some wear suits that are too "contemporary" in their styling.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

I am in a rural area in California - small town.  The attornies
and CPA's don't wear suits.  I've had clients tell me that they
like the way I dress compared to the guy at the bank... and these are
large clients.  I basically dress like your typical golf
professional.  Very nice tailored slacks and a pressed golf shirt.

Again, I have to reiterate, I am going indy so I want to create the
kind of atmosphere and reputation that I want.  I will attract the
kind of client who accepts that.  If a client picks the bank guy
over me simply due to the way we are dressed, I probably don't want
them as a client.  And I am not trying to become a million dollar
producer either.  I will be happy to get to $30m in the next few
years. 

Before anyone gets hostel, I am NOT putting down someone who wears a
suit everyday by choice.  That's wonderful too... for you.  I
want my clients to get excited about the Luau theme at my upcoming
seminar.  That's just me.  Our world is changing thanks to
the RIA option, but not everyone has to embrace it.

Oh, and to answer your question, I am young in THE business, but old in
BUSINESS.   It takes a visionary to look outside the
box.  Thanks for your question NASD.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

Ready2Jump wrote:I am in a rural area in California - small town.  The attornies and CPA's don't wear suits.  I've had clients tell me that they like the way I dress compared to the guy at the bank... and these are large clients.  I basically dress like your typical golf professional.  Very nice tailored slacks and a pressed golf shirt.Again, I have to reiterate, I am going indy so I want to create the kind of atmosphere and reputation that I want.  I will attract the kind of client who accepts that.  If a client picks the bank guy over me simply due to the way we are dressed, I probably don't want them as a client.  And I am not trying to become a million dollar producer either.  I will be happy to get to $30m in the next few years.  Before anyone gets hostel, I am NOT putting down someone who wears a suit everyday by choice.  That's wonderful too... for you.  I want my clients to get excited about the Luau theme at my upcoming seminar.  That's just me.  Our world is changing thanks to the RIA option, but not everyone has to embrace it.Oh, and to answer your question, I am young in THE business, but old in BUSINESS.   It takes a visionary to look outside the box.  Thanks for your question NASD.
Speaking of hostels, at your age you'll find places all over Europe where you can share a bath--and it will be cheap and they won't care what you wear.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

A broker wearing a suit will never appear to be overdressed.
Period.
Next topic.

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

NASD Newbie wrote:A broker wearing a suit will never appear to be overdressed.
Period.
Next topic.

... are you listening?  I COULD
NOT AGREE MORE WITH YOU!!!!  A broker in a suit will never appear
overdressed!!!!!!  (well, except at my luau themed seminar that
is)

no idea's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-11-15

Yeah, suits are great......BL can we talk about polo shirts? Pleeeeeease?

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

Ready2Jump wrote:Again, I have to reiterate, I am going indy so I want to create the kind of atmosphere and reputation that I want.  I will attract the kind of client who accepts that.  If a client picks the bank guy over me simply due to the way we are dressed, I probably don't want them as a client.  And I am not trying to become a million dollar producer either.  I will be happy to get to $30m in the next few years.
Sounds like you're a sales manager's wet dream.
Who would not want a salesman working for him who didn't want to make much money, and who figures that clients are not really worth getting anyway.
Practice this phrase.  "May I supersize that for you, sir?"

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

McDee's!  Now that would be a great place to setup a remote
office.  One of my clients owns 3 of them.  He and his rich
buddies hang out there every morning for a cheap breakfast.  And
the grandma at the counter can't figure out how to live on the income
from her $500k in CD's.  Hmmm... sounds tasty to me. 

You sounded very natural saying that line NASD.  Your insight into
our industry has taught me a lot.  You should do this discussion
board for a living... oh, looks like you might be. 

Oh, and my McDee's owner client... he hates $1000 suit wearing brokers.

tjc45's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-05-06

I was walking from my car to a client's office, all of 50 feet, when I felt something pop in one of my shoes. The shoe was not a cheap shoe, nor was I wearing a cheap suit, shirt, tie etc. The client I was visiting is into the finer things and would notice anything amiss. What popped was the thread or whatever it is that holds the sole of the shoe to the upper. it all but completely let go. I was beat. No choice but to walk in with one sole flopping. Very impressive!!!!
We dress country club causal on non meeting days, suits for meetings with clients.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

Ready2Jump wrote:Oh, and my McDee's owner client... he hates $1000 suit wearing brokers.
No he doesn't.
Nobody forms their opinion of somebody because they are wearing clothes that appropriate for the occasion.
As somebody told you, you wear a suit in this business because it shows respect for the business--the responsibilities you are asking to assume.
Go to the library and find a copy of "Dress for Success"--it applies in rural California as well as it does in New York.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

tjc45 wrote:
We dress country club causal on non meeting days, suits for meetings with clients.

Lots of places adopted a "dress down Friday" routine.  The real pros kept a suit, starched shirt, tie, etc. hanging in a closet in the office just in case somebody called to say they were coming over in an hour.
My firm's policy was/is that there is a sign at the receptionist desk that says, "Friday's are dress down day at Acme Brokerage" which is simply trying to get the client to understand that we were serious professionals who let our hair down on Fridays.
If you devour the Wall Street Journal you will recall that a few months ago there was a feature regarding how employers are returning to suits everyday.
Mostly out of self defense.  When you tell the bozo sector of society that it's OK to come to work on Friday in "business casual" attire they, the bozo set, will eventually decide that means Twisted Sister World Tour T-shirt and cut offs.
One can never go broke underestimating the standards or intelligence of the average American.

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

NASD Newbie wrote:
No he doesn't.
Nobody forms their opinion of somebody because they are wearing clothes that appropriate for the occasion.
As somebody told you, you wear a suit in this business because it
shows respect for the business--the responsibilities you are asking to
assume.
Go to the library and find a copy of "Dress for Success"--it applies in rural California as well as it does in New York.

Sorry, I must have heard him wrong then...

And AGAIN, , there is NOTHING wrong with
wearing a suit everyday.  That is your choice (or do you work in a
bank?).  My clients LOVE me.  LOVE me.  And not everyone
trusts a broker in a suit, JUST like not everyone trusts a broker in
country club attire.  There is not one answer to this question,
even though you want there to be.  And no, I don't want everybody
to be my client.

Get over it... you are really showing your age. 

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

Ready2Jump wrote:Get over it... you are really showing your age. 
You know something about being older?  We were once punks too, but you have not yet reached adulthood.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

Ready2Jump wrote:
My clients LOVE me.  LOVE me. 
Every mother and grandmother loves her grandchild--get back with us when you get a client who doesn't love you.

Ready2Jump's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-30

If being an adult means wearing a suit everyday against my choice,
prospecting and trying to get every living person as a client, and ....
and this is a biggie, having a personality like you NASD, then
Hallelujah!  Glad to be a youthful thinker in my 40's. 

I'm done with this discussion so,,,, have a nice day .

no idea's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-11-15

BL really wouldn't mind hearing about polo shirts again. Mike B where are you?

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

Ready2Jump wrote:
Glad to be a youthful thinker in my 40's. 
Every woman's dream.  A guy in his forties who hopes to have an annual income in the 30s.
You've got those rules of thumb backwards.
Your waist size is suppose to be a smaller number than your age, but your income should be at least three times your age.

Devoted SA's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-28

Ready2Jump wrote: NASD Newbie wrote:
A broker wearing a suit will never appear to be overdressed.
Period.
Next topic.
... are you listening?  I COULD NOT AGREE MORE WITH YOU!!!!  A broker in a suit will never appear overdressed!!!!!!  (well, except at my luau themed seminar that is)
We had a luau client appreciation event at a wacky hawaiian gilligan's island type place. Lord Abbett vendor showed in lovely tailored EXPENSIVE suit all the way from San Fran, even though we asked him for casual. He could not have looked more out of place AND uncomfortable in the 100+ heat with the flower lei we insisted he wear.

Devoted SA's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-03-28

NASD Newbie wrote:
If you devour the Wall Street Journal you will recall that a few months ago there was a feature regarding how employers are returning to suits everyday.
Mostly out of self defense.  When you tell the bozo sector of society that it's OK to come to work on Friday in "business casual" attire they, the bozo set, will eventually decide that means Twisted Sister World Tour T-shirt and cut offs.
One can never go broke underestimating the standards or intelligence of the average American.

So I guess this means the t-shirt I pick up from the Poison/Cinderella concert tomorrow night isn't acceptable to sport Friday morning? Even IF all our clients are hip, hip grannies?
 

baylorjoyce1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-16

I kinda sit on the fence on this issue.  I currently go with the country club look (after wearing a suit everyday for years) but if certain clients are coming in that day, I will wear a long sleeved dress shirt and suit pants that day and add a tie (and sometimes the suit jacket) if I feel it is necessary.  However, I have had literally have clients that were turned off that I used to always wear a suit.  Ready2Jump is not crazy in what he says.  NASD Newbie, there are people who think anyone in a suit is just trying to sell them something and they will never get past the fact that you are in a suit. 
For myself, I feel that my practice, my office and my work are more than professional and eliviate any concern that would arise from not having on a coat and tie.  If I was in a place that didn't have a good image, I might consider having my image more formal to let them know that everything is not half-class.  When they come in to my office and see everything perfectly neat (I am admittidley anal), organized and professional, they could not care less if I had a tie choking me.  They want someone who has the answer to their problems. 
Maybe this is a generalization, but if you work on a referral only business, you should be fairly safe in whatever your attire has been to be appropriate.  If you are in a heavy prospecting business, you probably should consider wearing a suit since all of your competition will be doing the same as they run around town chasing prospects. 
 
 

baylorjoyce1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-16

I had a few spelling typo's, so here is the post with them corrected so I don't have 5 posts pointing them out to me. 
 
I kinda sit on the fence on this issue.  I currently go with the country club look (after wearing a suit everyday for years) but if certain clients are coming in that day, I will wear a long sleeved dress shirt and suit pants that day and add a tie (and sometimes the suit jacket) if I feel it is necessary.  However, I have had literally have clients that were turned off that I used to always wear a suit.  Ready2Jump is not crazy in what he says.  NASD Newbie, there are people who think anyone in a suit is just trying to sell them something and they will never get past the fact that you are in a suit. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
For myself, I feel that my practice, my office and my work are more than professional and alleviate any concern that would arise from not having on a coat and tie.  If I was in a place that didn't have a good image, I might consider having my image more formal to let them know that everything is not half-class.  When they come in to my office and see everything perfectly neat (I am admittedly anal), organized and professional, they could not care less if I had a tie choking me.  They want someone who has the answer to their problems. 
Maybe this is a generalization, but if you work on a referral only business, you should be fairly safe in whatever your attire has been to be appropriate.  If you are in a heavy prospecting business, you probably should consider wearing a suit since all of your competition will be doing the same as they run around town chasing prospects. 
 

baylorjoyce1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-16

BL, my revised post comment was not directed at you.  I just saw your post, the Google toolbar is a great option that I use all the time.  However I had never used the spellcheck feature (use the auto-fill all the time) since I am usually in Word or program that picks up on the errors as well. 

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

baylorjoyce1 wrote:
they could not care less if I had a tie choking me. 

Perhaps if you wore a coat and tie every day you would be able to afford new clothes that didn't  choke you.
Are you saying that firms like Lehman Brothers simply doesn't "get it" when they insist that their people wear business suits every day?
How many of the men and women on this year's Registered Reps top ten brokers list do you suppose have an attitude along the lines of, "If a prospect doesn't like the way I dress I don't want them as a client?"
Perhaps if a broker didn't wander around in "country club attire" while on the job they could actually afford to belong to the country club instead of pretending they do.

babbling looney's picture
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-02

baylorjoyce1 wrote:BL, my revised post comment was not directed at you.  I just saw your post, the Google toolbar is a great option that I use all the time.  However I had never used the spellcheck feature (use the auto-fill all the time) since I am usually in Word or program that picks up on the errors as well. 

Me too, spell check in Word. The beauty of this tool is that it works in forums like this or anything else you type in the internet (Craigslist, etc)
As to the clothing. I dress up when I'm at work. That means in my office, visiting clients at their businesses or homes or giving a presentation at a seminar.  However, I have learned that you need to be flexible when off premises.  At a luau or theme event, then you should of course dress according to the theme. 
Also when visiting a client's business establishment you need to use some common sense. Here is an example.  I had to inspect a large cattle operation to whom we were making a loan. Checking for brands and earmarks, that the breed was the one we were lending on, count the legs and divide by four to make sure the herd was as represented (that's an inside joke), check the barns, equipment etc.  After all this was the collateral.  The only way to do this barring getting on a horse and riding the range was to go to the stock yard when the cattle were gathered before moving them to other pasture/ranges.  They were testing the cows for pregnancy (Don't ask how. You don't want to know.) 
So my attire that day wasn't my usual heels and dress suits. Instead I had on rubber boots, jeans and a long sleeve shirt and leather gloves.  If I had showed up "all gussied up" I would have been a laughing stock, not to mention having ruined permanently my shoes. 
It is ok to get out of uniform occasionally.

munytalks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-17

Well, Let's see.... Suit or no suit?
Donald Trump is almost always in a suit -but what's with that hair? His suits MUST be expensive- but who really notices while you are trying to figure out where that birds' nest begins and ends?
Actually, NASD EASY/PUT - you keep going back over the same topics. YOU like a suit because of your age.
I grew up on rock & roll, smokin' a little and drinking a lot. So did MOST of my clients.... I love the commercials for Ameriprise because they have it nailed. The generation that grew up with the Stones, Zeplin and CCR aren't going out in rocking chairs. And I believe these are the folks that are going to have all that money we all are after in the financial business.
I wear clean, ironed jeans, collared shirt and jacket. I am also in SoCal. I think the area you live in DOES matter. AND Baylor has it right too- if you are still prospecting maybe you need to look like everybody else out there.
I won't close with an emoticon, I know how you hate those too. Blinking, winking little dots that your glasses can't quite focus on.

baylorjoyce1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-16

Haha.  You've got it so figured out, why do you waste your time on this board.  "Choking" is a figure of speech, and was said in jest.  Did I say that Lehman Bros doesnt get it?  Actually I just sold a private equity offering from Lehman Bros and the client didnt seem to mind my polo shirt. 
And now I can't afford to belong to a Country Club.  You sir, are clueless. 
I have no issue that many chose to wear a suit.  However, Texas isn't the same as NY.  We make fun of them like they make fun of us.  Doesn't mean they're wrong and we're right, just a different way of doing things. 
If I am going out to see a client, I would almost always wear a suit.  When they come to my office for my advice, they'll have to deal with me not being in a suit.  And I don't think that I'm going to any measurable amount of business for doing so. 
I have literally had experiences where I was made fun of for wearing a suit.  It angered me at the time, because I don't think it should ever be considered overdressing.  And I can guarantee it's not because of my choice of suits, shirts, ties, shoes etc...  my suit wardrobe is way more than sufficient. 

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

The point remains--you cannot offend anybody by showing up in a business suit, or greet them in your office in a business suit.
If you turn off a single prospect because you march to a different drummer that is one prospect too many.
Do you disagree?  Do you think that losing a client because the client was unimpressed with your dress is an uncontrollable risk of the industry?

baylorjoyce1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-16

I personally hate that some planners feel that they can't be human in how they dress.  I think its always good to go in public dressed properly, but some take it so far (including me in the past/beginning) that they have to create this image to their clients. 
I have had many friends tell me that the casual dress makes me more approachable and seem more normal.  After they ask what I do for a living, my resume/experience speaks for itself, not the Brioni suit I am wearing that day. 
I hear people making fun of all the guys running around from the wirehouses & insurance companies in their suits, seeing who can put the slickest combo together.  This is probably due to the area I reside in, but in some places it is reality. 

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

How many of the nation's top brokers do you suppose would put themselves in a situation where the client just had to deal with the fact that the man or woman who they were entrusting with their money chose to dress like a golfer instead of a banker?
What is the upside of not wearing a business suit?

munytalks's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-04-17

NASD Newbie wrote:
The point remains--you cannot offend anybody by showing up in a business suit, or greet them in your office in a business suit.
If you turn off a single prospect because you march to a different drummer that is one prospect too many.
Do you disagree?  Do you think that losing a client because the client was unimpressed with your dress is an uncontrollable risk of the industry?

 
Yes, I disagree. I don't wear suits every day. If I lose a client because they were unimpressed with my attire, I don't care. A suit every day isn't me. Are you suggesting that we 'fake' a look to get a client? It's not real. It's not who I am. It's not what I believe.
Should I Lie to get a client? To me, it's the same thing.
And anyway, I thought you were getting ready to dance off the back of a Boat while it circled some Island. Tell you what, I'll come up there this weekend and shove you off the back of the ferry while it's circling Alcatraz- how's that? I'll wear a suit.

NASD Newbie's picture
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-01

baylorjoyce1 wrote:
This is probably due to the area I reside in, but in some places it is reality. 

I graduated from Highland Park High School, got my BBA at SMU.  I know Texans as well as anybody.
I am here to tell you that when you handle people's money you should look like a mortician with a smile.

baylorjoyce1's picture
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-16

It is a controllable risk that I am willing to retain. 
I have lost a client because I was wearing a suit, so apparently there was some risk on your side as well.  The fact that you refuse to see the other side is simply showing your ignorance.  
I have no problem with someone being in a suit for their profession.  I however look like a golfer and it probably helps that most of my clients are aware that I played golf in college and still play competitively today. 
Now go tighten up your tie and get over yourself.

Please or Register to post comments.

Industry Newsletters
Investment Category Sponsor Links

 

Careers Category Sponsor Links

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×